Penguins Extended Sullivan for 4 years

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Penguins Extended Sullivan for 4 years

Postby Owchar76 on Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:17 pm

Hatrick wrote:
pekkasteele wrote:
Jim wrote:1. Trade Kessel for no good reason
2. Extend the actual problem for 4 more years
3. ... Bad things happen in 3's...


Or it is the complete opposite and Kessel was the problem after all. Maybe the rumors of Phil influenced Malkin in a bad way, as reported, that Phil wanted to play with Malkin, but Malkin wanted to support the coach decision and that made him torn between friend and duty? That he created unrest with the younger guys with his attitude of not joining on all activities like the "after practise meetings at center ice".

So ...

1. Trading Kessel to right the ship
2. Extend the coach that won 2 cups in 4 years
3. Creating a stable and calm atmosphere in the locker room

that might be believable IF Phil was the only person who had been driven out by Sullivan, however that is not the case. Phil or no Phil, Sullivan has caused riffs with players(not that other coaches wouldn't either but to blame it all on Kessel is utterly ridiculously)


When you constantly seem to have bad roomates, maybe eventually you should realize that YOU are the bad roomate? He's a productive player that has seemingly had problems everywhere he's played.
Owchar76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,237
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:03 pm

Re: Penguins Extended Sullivan for 4 years

Postby DelPen on Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:30 pm

Wonder if Velluci regrets going to WBS now?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 49,472
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: Penguins Extended Sullivan for 4 years

Postby Owchar76 on Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:39 pm

DelPen wrote:Wonder if Velluci regrets going to WBS now?


I'm sure this was discussed before he signed there. It's not like they'd blindside him with a 4 year signing of Sullivan.
Owchar76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,237
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:03 pm

Re: Penguins Extended Sullivan for 4 years

Postby Hatrick on Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:51 am

Owchar76 wrote:
Hatrick wrote:
pekkasteele wrote:
Jim wrote:1. Trade Kessel for no good reason
2. Extend the actual problem for 4 more years
3. ... Bad things happen in 3's...


Or it is the complete opposite and Kessel was the problem after all. Maybe the rumors of Phil influenced Malkin in a bad way, as reported, that Phil wanted to play with Malkin, but Malkin wanted to support the coach decision and that made him torn between friend and duty? That he created unrest with the younger guys with his attitude of not joining on all activities like the "after practise meetings at center ice".

So ...

1. Trading Kessel to right the ship
2. Extend the coach that won 2 cups in 4 years
3. Creating a stable and calm atmosphere in the locker room

that might be believable IF Phil was the only person who had been driven out by Sullivan, however that is not the case. Phil or no Phil, Sullivan has caused riffs with players(not that other coaches wouldn't either but to blame it all on Kessel is utterly ridiculously)


When you constantly seem to have bad roomates, maybe eventually you should realize that YOU are the bad roomate? He's a productive player that has seemingly had problems everywhere he's played.

like I said, Phil isn't the only player that has had a problem with Sullivan. So by your analogy you agree that Sullivan is the problem..
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 740
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:48 pm

Re: Penguins Extended Sullivan for 4 years

Postby Humperdink on Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:08 am

Hatrick wrote:
Owchar76 wrote:
Hatrick wrote:
pekkasteele wrote:
Jim wrote:1. Trade Kessel for no good reason
2. Extend the actual problem for 4 more years
3. ... Bad things happen in 3's...


Or it is the complete opposite and Kessel was the problem after all. Maybe the rumors of Phil influenced Malkin in a bad way, as reported, that Phil wanted to play with Malkin, but Malkin wanted to support the coach decision and that made him torn between friend and duty? That he created unrest with the younger guys with his attitude of not joining on all activities like the "after practise meetings at center ice".

So ...

1. Trading Kessel to right the ship
2. Extend the coach that won 2 cups in 4 years
3. Creating a stable and calm atmosphere in the locker room

that might be believable IF Phil was the only person who had been driven out by Sullivan, however that is not the case. Phil or no Phil, Sullivan has caused riffs with players(not that other coaches wouldn't either but to blame it all on Kessel is utterly ridiculously)


When you constantly seem to have bad roomates, maybe eventually you should realize that YOU are the bad roomate? He's a productive player that has seemingly had problems everywhere he's played.

like I said, Phil isn't the only player that has had a problem with Sullivan. So by your analogy you agree that Sullivan is the problem..


Or both.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,131
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:10 am
Location: Allegheny National Forest

Re: Penguins Extended Sullivan for 4 years

Postby Skatingpen on Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:26 pm

Owchar76 wrote:
DelPen wrote:Wonder if Velluci regrets going to WBS now?


I'm sure this was discussed before he signed there. It's not like they'd blindside him with a 4 year signing of Sullivan.



Has zero impact on him taking over this team if they flounder
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,260
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:13 pm

Re: Penguins Extended Sullivan for 4 years

Postby KG on Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:18 am

DelPen wrote:Wonder if Velluci regrets going to WBS now?


They should swap Velluci for Recchi. Never happening....
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,963
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:53 am
Location: NY

Re: Penguins Extended Sullivan for 4 years

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:22 am

I really like MS. Definitely see him as a top 5 in the league coach that most teams would kill for. That said, he needs to show that he can navigate the aging of our stars this year. It is time to start easing back the minutes and responsibilities of Geno, Horny, Letang for sure, and even Sid. We are heading for a trainwreck year, one that could easily see us missing the playoffs. It isn't missing them that will hurt MS, it will be how he develops the rest of the team during this year that will prove his merit. The aging effect will only greatly increase next season so now is the time to transition.

Use your full line-up Mike!
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,326
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: Penguins Extended Sullivan for 4 years

Postby Jim on Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:59 am

pekkasteele wrote:
Jim wrote:1. Trade Kessel for no good reason
2. Extend the actual problem for 4 more years
3. ... Bad things happen in 3's...


Or it is the complete opposite and Kessel was the problem after all. Maybe the rumors of Phil influenced Malkin in a bad way, as reported, that Phil wanted to play with Malkin, but Malkin wanted to support the coach decision and that made him torn between friend and duty? That he created unrest with the younger guys with his attitude of not joining on all activities like the "after practise meetings at center ice".

So ...

1. Trading Kessel to right the ship
2. Extend the coach that won 2 cups in 4 years
3. Creating a stable and calm atmosphere in the locker room


Nope
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,452
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Penguins Extended Sullivan for 4 years

Postby Jim on Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:08 am

alancac98 wrote:I like Sullivan as the head coach. I think he needs a better 2nd in command-more of a player type guy. I just think that GMJR is giving him players he really doesn’t want in his system, and that is difficult to round that square peg! Sullivan may be abrasive and has his faults, but he is the one of the best 5 coaches in hockey. Last year, I think the tides negatively turned when Hags was traded and I’m not sure how much Sullivan was a part of that decision, but he took the brunt of it from the players. I think Kessel may have been a jack-ass. There weren’t a whole host of teams lining up to get a point per game player with two cups to his resume, were there? Kissel may have been the Pens AB!


Remember how everyone made a HUGE deal over Sullivan going to talk to Kessel in the off season, and turned that into Kessel being the evil bastard? Sullivan is visiting Malkin this off season... crickets.

On a side, a coach should make the best on ice team that he can out of what he is given. He should not constantly try to make his roster into something that it is not. The GM giving him players that don't match exactly what he wants is irrelevant. Stop trying to put square pegs in round holes and I bet everything works better. Apparently Sullivan is too ignorant to do that. Ignorant as in stupid, or ignorant as in bull headed. . I'm not sure which.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,452
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Penguins Extended Sullivan for 4 years

Postby LimerickPensFan on Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:17 am

alancac98 wrote:I like Sullivan as the head coach. I think he needs a better 2nd in command-more of a player type guy. I just think that GMJR is giving him players he really doesn’t want in his system, and that is difficult to round that square peg! Sullivan may be abrasive and has his faults, but he is the one of the best 5 coaches in hockey. Last year, I think the tides negatively turned when Hags was traded and I’m not sure how much Sullivan was a part of that decision, but he took the brunt of it from the players. I think Kessel may have been a jack-ass. There weren’t a whole host of teams lining up to get a point per game player with two cups to his resume, were there? Kissel may have been the Pens AB!

From here (pay site): https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2019/07/06/penguins-mike-sullivan-dwm/

Of course, working out a new contract for Sullivan wasn’t the only significant move Rutherford has made since the New York Islanders swept the Penguins out of the Stanley Cup playoffs.

He has traded defenseman Olli Maatta and right winger Phil Kessel — the latter of whom had a relationship with Sullivan that, from all accounts, could charitably be characterized as strained — and added forwards Dominik Kahun and Alex Galchenyuk, moves that Sullivan was quick to endorse.

“We’re all very much on the same page,” he said. “We are all in the loop, as far as what Jim’s trying to accomplish and how he’s trying to improve our team. We talked about three things: We tried to get a little bit younger. We certainly tried to get faster. And we wanted to become a team that’s more difficult to play against.

“When you look at some of the players that Jim’s acquired, I think they check a lot of those boxes. I believe that energy and that enthusiasm is contagious. That alone, I think, is going to benefit all of us when we go back to training camp.”

He suggested that the Penguins had gone a bit stale, and that their personnel mix will benefit from the addition of a few outsiders who openly admitted that they are eager to join this club.

“When you think about teams that are successful, they certainly have a certain chemistry that allows them to maximize the group,” he said. “It’s the responsibility of everyone involved — myself included, as the head coach — to try to work toward that goal. I can look back on our Stanley Cup championship teams, and those were teams that had that certain level of chemistry that’s essential to winning.


Sounds to me like they have been discussing players all along.
LimerickPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 750
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 10:04 am
Location: Unfortunately, Philadelphia suburbs

Re: Penguins Extended Sullivan for 4 years

Postby Pitts on Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:15 pm

LimerickPensFan wrote:
alancac98 wrote:I like Sullivan as the head coach. I think he needs a better 2nd in command-more of a player type guy. I just think that GMJR is giving him players he really doesn’t want in his system, and that is difficult to round that square peg! Sullivan may be abrasive and has his faults, but he is the one of the best 5 coaches in hockey. Last year, I think the tides negatively turned when Hags was traded and I’m not sure how much Sullivan was a part of that decision, but he took the brunt of it from the players. I think Kessel may have been a jack-ass. There weren’t a whole host of teams lining up to get a point per game player with two cups to his resume, were there? Kissel may have been the Pens AB!

From here (pay site): https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2019/07/06/penguins-mike-sullivan-dwm/

Of course, working out a new contract for Sullivan wasn’t the only significant move Rutherford has made since the New York Islanders swept the Penguins out of the Stanley Cup playoffs.

He has traded defenseman Olli Maatta and right winger Phil Kessel — the latter of whom had a relationship with Sullivan that, from all accounts, could charitably be characterized as strained — and added forwards Dominik Kahun and Alex Galchenyuk, moves that Sullivan was quick to endorse.

“We’re all very much on the same page,” he said. “We are all in the loop, as far as what Jim’s trying to accomplish and how he’s trying to improve our team. We talked about three things: We tried to get a little bit younger. We certainly tried to get faster. And we wanted to become a team that’s more difficult to play against.

“When you look at some of the players that Jim’s acquired, I think they check a lot of those boxes. I believe that energy and that enthusiasm is contagious. That alone, I think, is going to benefit all of us when we go back to training camp.”

He suggested that the Penguins had gone a bit stale, and that their personnel mix will benefit from the addition of a few outsiders who openly admitted that they are eager to join this club.

“When you think about teams that are successful, they certainly have a certain chemistry that allows them to maximize the group,” he said. “It’s the responsibility of everyone involved — myself included, as the head coach — to try to work toward that goal. I can look back on our Stanley Cup championship teams, and those were teams that had that certain level of chemistry that’s essential to winning.


Sounds to me like they have been discussing players all along.

That can't be right!!! C'mon -- we all know all these GM's on this board know more of what's going on than those idiots the Pens employ!
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,026
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: Penguins Extended Sullivan for 4 years

Postby no name on Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:00 am

The coach needs stability to build relationships with the players in the locker room. This also sends the message to the team that this is your coach so listen and buy into his message.

I think he is the right guy for this team but lets face it, he is the coach who won us 2 cups he is basicly being compensated for that. He still can be fired at any time.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,113
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:19 pm

Re: Penguins Extended Sullivan for 4 years

Postby penny lane on Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:05 am

Coach Sullivan called in to Mark Madden's show yesterday... from Bermuda! Family vacation. :D
Maybe it was the ocean air mixed with rum, but he sounded enthused about all things pens.
He knows the business that he is in and that he could go at any moment. Had a real moment of thankfulness when MM asked about Coach getting a chance to head coach after 10 being an assistant.
Said that he needs to be better in creating positive chemistry, but then added winning makes all happy.
The pens are built to play in motion. Can't be the standstill defense of other teams.
It is still all about speed for the pens. The new players will boost the core. Guy from the blackhawks is still a mystery - training camp will be a learning experience. :thumb:
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 34,476
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:29 pm
Location: Pingvin na vsyu zhizn

Re: Penguins Extended Sullivan for 4 years

Postby Puck-Lurker on Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:39 pm

penny lane wrote:Coach Sullivan called in to Mark Madden's show yesterday... from Bermuda! Family vacation. :D
Maybe it was the ocean air mixed with rum, but he sounded enthused about all things pens.
He knows the business that he is in and that he could go at any moment. Had a real moment of thankfulness when MM asked about Coach getting a chance to head coach after 10 being an assistant.
Said that he needs to be better in creating positive chemistry, but then added winning makes all happy.
The pens are built to play in motion. Can't be the standstill defense of other teams.
It is still all about speed for the pens. The new players will boost the core. Guy from the blackhawks is still a mystery - training camp will be a learning experience. :thumb:

Attempted translation:

He got a nice contract, but he knows he's comfortably far from the chopping block like he used to be. Team relations have soured a bit. Winning used to camouflage a lot - we're not winning right now. Pens defence was too slow, Sullivan thinks that's on him. He also thinks the players weren't good enough and our core players didn't make up the difference. He doesn't expect any revelations from the training camp and hopes the new guys add something that gets the Pens rolling.

---

Before anyone tells me I got this completely wrong, I used pro tools to translate:
Spoiler:
Image
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,346
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:49 am
Location: Is apparently an annoying poster.

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 28 guests


e-mail