Good breakdown on the Penguins salary cap situation

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Good breakdown on the Penguins salary cap situation

Postby Daniel on Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:23 pm

Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Good breakdown on the Penguins salary cap situation

Postby KG on Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:59 am

Thanks for sharing. Yeah $7.25mill for your bottom pairing D man is a non starter. That said all win now teams are in cap hell year after year. The smart teams get creative and clear the space when needed.

I’m sure JR will work the rest of the summer to clear cap space to get ready for next seasons new RFA’s (McCann, Murray, Galchenyuk)

Tanev will most likely be on the 3rd line.

I would start with these lines:

McCann, Crosby, Guentzel
Galchenyuk, Malkin, Hornqvist
Tanev, Bgujstad, Rust
Simon, Blueger, Kahun

I don’t like Horny on the 3rd line and not playing with either Sid or a Geno. That lineup is deep and gets back to rolling 4 lines. All that score and provide speed and energy.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_CT on Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:44 am

KG wrote:Thanks for sharing. Yeah $7.25mill for your bottom pairing D man is a non starter. That said all win now teams are in cap hell year after year. The smart teams get creative and clear the space when needed.

I’m sure JR will work the rest of the summer to clear cap space to get ready for next seasons new RFA’s (McCann, Murray, Galchenyuk)

McCann, Crosby, Guentzel
Tanev, Bgujstad, Rust
Simon, Blueger, Kahun

I don’t like Horny on the 3rd line and not playing with either Sid or a Geno. That lineup is deep and gets back to rolling 4 lines. All that score and provide speed and energy.

Its hard to pick line combinations until we see if they make a trade to open up space (Rust etc.). However I doubt they traded for Kahun to play him on the 4th line.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:02 am

KG wrote:Thanks for sharing. Yeah $7.25mill for your bottom pairing D man is a non starter. That said all win now teams are in cap hell year after year. The smart teams get creative and clear the space when needed.

McCann, Crosby, Guentzel
Tanev, Bgujstad, Rust
Simon, Blueger, Kahun

Galchenyuk is a UFA. If he puts up solid numbers it will be very hard to keep him.

Tanev played exclusively on the RW last season. So you have Rust, Hornqvist, Tanev and Cahoun who prefer RW.

Guentzel, McCann, Galchenyuk, ZAR and Simon who are better on the left.

That being said here is how I'd structure the lineup right now

Guentzel Crosby Kahun
Galchenyuk Malkin Hornqvist
McCann Bjugstad Tanev
Simon/ZAR Bleuger Rust

Subject to chemistry I'd give those lines the first go.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_CT on Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:12 am

thehockeyguru wrote:

McCann, Crosby, Guentzel
Tanev, Bgujstad, Rust
Simon, Blueger, Kahun

Galchenyuk is a UFA. If he puts up solid numbers it will be very hard to keep him.

Tanev played exclusively on the RW last season. So you have Rust, Hornqvist, Tanev and Cahoun who prefer RW.

Guentzel Crosby Kahun
McCann Bjugstad Tanev
Simon/ZAR Bleuger Rust

I think keeping Galchenyhuk depends on first him showing this season that he deserves an extension, and moving Hornqvist after the season.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Daniel on Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:04 am

pens_CT wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

McCann, Crosby, Guentzel
Tanev, Bgujstad, Rust
Simon, Blueger, Kahun

Guentzel Crosby Kahun
McCann Bjugstad Tanev
Simon/ZAR Bleuger Rust

I think keeping Galchenyhuk depends on first him showing this season that he deserves an extension, and moving Hornqvist after the season.

From what I've read about Galchenyhuk, he has been miscast as a center and is better off at wing. I have a feeling he is going to score more goals than Phil next season to be honest with you. I think the combination of him playing for a more offensive team and Phil playing for a team that struggles to score goals plays into that. Over the past few seasons, Arizona barely scores 200 goals per game. I hope with the moves Arizona has made that won't be an issue but historically they don't tend to score much.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:14 am

IF Galchenyuk puts up 30 goals at age 25 he better be considered part of the core and resigned.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Daniel on Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:22 am

thehockeyguru wrote:IF Galchenyuk puts up 30 goals at age 25 he better be considered part of the core and resigned.

I think he scores 30 and out prices himself for the Pens because of salary cap space wasted on Johnson, Tanev, etc.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Steve on Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:47 pm

One nice advantage the Pens do have - According to Capfriendly, Sid will have the 21st highest cap hit this upcoming season....
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Crashguy66 on Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:15 pm

Steve wrote:One nice advantage the Pens do have - According to Capfriendly, Sid will have the 21st highest cap hit this upcoming season....

Imagine the problems if he insisted (deservedly) on top dollar. They'd be screwed.
Crashguy66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Daniel on Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:10 pm

Crashguy66 wrote:
Steve wrote:One nice advantage the Pens do have - According to Capfriendly, Sid will have the 21st highest cap hit this upcoming season....

Imagine the problems if he insisted (deservedly) on top dollar. They'd be screwed.

I think if Sid got top dollar it would not allow JR to waste the extra space on meaningless signings for more money than he should spend.

It would force him to focus on draft picks and UDFAs to fill role player spots.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby brwi on Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:22 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:IF Galchenyuk puts up 30 goals at age 25 he better be considered part of the core and resigned.

It would be nice situation if that happened, but I think it's more likely he'll be closer to 20 goals than 30 regardless of suddenly being with a better offensive team and elite centers. He has top end talent but lower end competitiveness and focus and I don't think that is suddenly going to change.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby murphydump55 on Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:21 pm

brwi wrote:

It would be nice situation if that happened, but I think it's more likely he'll be closer to 20 goals than 30 regardless of suddenly being with a better offensive team and elite centers. He has top end talent but lower end competitiveness and focus and I don't think that is suddenly going to change.

He scored 30 goals 3 years ago with lesser line mates.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby pens_CT on Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:37 pm

murphydump55 wrote:
brwi wrote:

He scored 30 goals 3 years ago with lesser line mates.

The issue with Galchenyuk has never been talent, it's his effort and "want to" that have been questioned. Being on a team that plays an offensive game, and not having to be constantly switching between center and wing might allow the guy to reach his potential. Also playing for a long term deal also shouldn't hurt.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hatrick on Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:17 am

McCann, Crosby, Guentzel
Tanev, Bgujstad, Rust
Simon, Blueger, Kahun

1. I would play ZAR over Simon, Simon would be the 13th forward ideally for me.
2. Galchenyuk will be a UFA im pretty sure. Not a RFA. Which means good chance they wont be able to resign him regardless.
3. I honestly like everything else to start with, there are some many possible combinations it is hard to go wrong without seeing what works chemistry wise. I would slightly prefer Guentzel to stay at LW but that would mean Tanev would have to be RW on the third line which would push either Kahun or Rust up to play with Sid.

To me Jake-Sid
Galchenyuk-Malkin
Tanev-Bjugstad are the ones kept together, cycle the others around in order to find chemistry.
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hatrick on Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:19 am

If he scores 30(which he very well might going to a much better offensive team), they wouldn't be able to afford him, nor would he part of the core based off one season.
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby theblackarts on Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:28 pm

If we keep Hornqvist, and he stays healthy and trade-able, and is obviously declining, I assume we'd trade him after the season in a heart beat to keep 30+ goal galchenyuk. Right?
theblackarts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Ericf on Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:18 pm

theblackarts wrote:If we keep Hornqvist, and he stays healthy and trade-able, and is obviously declining, I assume we'd trade him after the season in a heart beat to keep 30+ goal galchenyuk. Right?

There should be a thread title on here titled, “People, Horny has a no-trade clause”...

It will be very hard to move him until the end of 2021 unless he wants out...get used to him
Ericf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Daniel on Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:24 pm

Ericf wrote:
theblackarts wrote:If we keep Hornqvist, and he stays healthy and trade-able, and is obviously declining, I assume we'd trade him after the season in a heart beat to keep 30+ goal galchenyuk. Right?

There should be a thread title on here titled, “People, Horny has a no-trade clause”...

It will be very hard to move him until the end of 2021 unless he wants out...get used to him

Jim: Hey Patric, will you waive your no trade clause? I'd rather you didn't play on the 4th line and XYZ team wants you
Patric: Sure, why not
Jim: Thanks

Us: :fist:
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Puck-Lurker on Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:20 pm

Daniel wrote:
Ericf wrote:

Jim: Hey Patric, will you waive your no trade clause? I'd rather you didn't play on the 4th line and XYZ team wants you

Horny might be a class act, but you do realise he has an agent that is supposed to protect his interests? He might not think Patric's NTC is a non-asset.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Daniel on Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:54 pm

Puck-Lurker wrote:
Daniel wrote:
Ericf wrote:

Horny might be a class act, but you do realise he has an agent that is supposed to protect his interests? He might not think Patric's NTC is a non-asset.

He has an agent who works for him. His agent can say whatever he wants, but in the end it's Patric's decision. My point was that a NTC doesn't mean he can't be traded, just means you have to ask him first.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins