Kessel Traded

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Kessel Traded

Postby pens_CT on Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:15 pm

Sams_Dog wrote:Penguins were never going to get great return for Kessel because of his no trade clause and cap hit. But this isn’t a bad return. I can live with this. They got a good player in Galchenyuk, a prospect on defense, and saved $2 million.

They also get some flexibility, if Galchenyuk doesn't work out the team isn't committed to him beyond next season.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby murphydump55 on Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:34 pm

pens_CT wrote:
Sams_Dog wrote:Penguins were never going to get great return for Kessel because of his no trade clause and cap hit. But this isn’t a bad return. I can live with this. They got a good player in Galchenyuk, a prospect on defense, and saved $2 million.

They also get some flexibility, if Galchenyuk doesn't work out the team isn't committed to him beyond next season.

Or they trade him and Johnson for Zucker lol
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby brwi on Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:36 pm

How Joseph turns out is the real key to the trade. Obviously going into this season, Pens lose production in getting Galchenyuk but gain a couple of mil in cap space, so there is some short-term benefit. That Galchenyuk has a spotty compete level and hardly resembles what you look for in desire, not so sure you gained much in regard to team character ditching Phil but getting back Galchenyuk. Hoping Johnson can have an impact in the future.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby lemieuxReturns on Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:37 pm

murphydump55 wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

Wouldn’t that be funny!
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens_CT on Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:37 pm

murphydump55 wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

Any trade that includes Johnson would be a good move.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:52 pm

larry wrote:so sick of seeing people whine about draft picks. we gave up a 4th round pick? OMG! get the bulldozers down to the arena!!!! :scared:

I referred to it as "for Kessel (and junk)"
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby jitter1127 on Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:26 pm

I wish we would have got a solid D man. Our defense has been horrible, but seems to be ignored. In my opinion we keep getting worse on offense and not fixing the D. Unless Kessel was truly killing team chemistry I don't see this as a positive trade
jitter1127
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby ville5 on Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:27 pm

murphydump55 wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

Kessel for Zucker was= bad.
Galchenyuk for Zucker= good. :thumb:
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Humperdink on Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:52 pm

Owchar76 wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:Penguins GM Jim Rutherford and winger Phil Kessel are very much in disagreement on his alleged trade requests out of Pittsburgh. Rutherford said on Saturday, after trading Kessel to Arizona, that Kessel asked to be traded a numerous times, but changed his mind. Kessel didn’t agree with that statement. “I’m not sure that’s exactly what happened," he said on a Coyotes conference call. "Jim came to me, one time, and said to me that I’ll never be a Penguin again. I think he’s mistaken a little bit there. But I’m not here to tell what really happened and the real truth. So whatever Jim wants to say.”

I could totally see Jim saying this.

He's a lunatic.

And a Hall of Fame lunatic at that!
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Ohio_Pens_fan on Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:55 pm

Anyone got the rundown on what Yohe said about the trade?
Ohio_Pens_fan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Hatrick on Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:59 pm

y2jimmie7420 wrote:The penguins won two cups with him but he became very expendable like he has for two other teams. So that trade worked out well. He came with a limited move clause. I'm sure he likes it here so he picked teams that he either really wanted to go to or that wouldn't take him. A lot of the very good teams are in cap hell and have had to make trades that they lost or didn't want to make. We just had to do that. But on doing so we also free up some cap space for this year and much more for beyond. So if Alex comes here and does well yes he will probably leave but also that might help us won a cup. Also he is much more tradable than Phil and that helps also. Gmjr has done a lot through his career. Send like a lot of it was good enough to win some cups. He also was hired to a team that didn't have a lot of draft picks and guys waiting in the wings. Be happy you get to see what you have with this team.I know I am.

we didn't HAVE to do anything. That is the problem the "trade kessel for anything you get" club doesn't understand. They chose to trade him which is fine(as long as the return is good enough). They did free up an extra 1.8 or 1.9m in cap space at the cost of a large amount of production and the cost of control beyond this year. We wont know if this is a trade that works out well or not for several years as while Galchenyuk is a good player who could improve here, the key to the deal is Joseph. A kessel for Galchenyuk deal straight up is a terrible deal, Kessel for a year of Galchenyuk and a very good future defenseman, is a good deal that works out well.
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hatrick on Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:01 pm

ville5 wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

Kessel for Zucker was= bad.
Galchenyuk for Zucker= good. :thumb:

I would say so yes, kessel is a much better player and had more years of control left(and didn't make a huge amount more). Plus the initial wild deal rumor had the pens taking a Johnson like contract back in return.
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Caputi19 on Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:16 pm

I've watched gally since his days in Sarnia. Hes highly skilled skates well with great hands but hes never gonna be flashy guy who can be relied on do everything himself. Hes ok defensively and he can play center and wing. Depending on what else the penguins add he could be a legit winger for sid or malkin. Been along time since pens have had a speedster on the wing(miss hagelin).
Caputi19
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sams_Dog on Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:20 pm

There is a good deal of smoke about Kessel hurting team chemistry, rubbing Sully the wrong way. I think there’s fire there. I would rather not wait until things got really messy and dramatic with him. Kessel was not a vital piece like Sid, Geno, Letang, Murray, Dumo. He provided goals, sometimes key goals, but not a lot more. Pens can replace enough of his offense and be tougher to play against. Need to shed Johnson now.
Sams_Dog
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby dark_forces on Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:33 pm

The thing people are missing is that galchenyuk doesn’t need to match PK production by himself. When you factor in Kahun’s estimated production, that should be enough to close the gap. The power play will still be a major threat as well.
dark_forces
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Great58 on Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:48 pm

[quote/]
I wasn't going to like any Kessel trade because THER WAS ZERO REASON TO TRADE HIM... .[/quote]
This is where I am stuck. I wouldn’t have traded a PPG player, cost-contained for three more years. Phil wasn’t the problem over the past two post seasons, so this trade makes them worse for the immediate future. Maybe there’s a lot more up the sleeve, but for today I am thumbs down.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Daniel on Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:18 am

dark_forces wrote:The thing people are missing is that galchenyuk doesn’t need to match PK production by himself. When you factor in Kahun’s estimated production, that should be enough to close the gap. The power play will still be a major threat as well.

I think McCann and Bjugstad will probably double their point totals with a full season as Penguins.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pekkasteele on Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:39 am

lemieuxReturns wrote:
Owchar76 wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:Penguins GM Jim Rutherford and winger Phil Kessel are very much in disagreement on his alleged trade requests out of Pittsburgh. Rutherford said on Saturday, after trading Kessel to Arizona, that Kessel asked to be traded a numerous times, but changed his mind. Kessel didn’t agree with that statement. “I’m not sure that’s exactly what happened," he said on a Coyotes conference call. "Jim came to me, one time, and said to me that I’ll never be a Penguin again. I think he’s mistaken a little bit there. But I’m not here to tell what really happened and the real truth. So whatever Jim wants to say.”

I could totally see Jim saying this.

He's a lunatic.

Worse than a lunatic. He is self-destructive. It’s going to take years to fix what he has broken.

No, the 2 cups we won with him in charge will newer go away, we have to live with them forever.
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pens4Life on Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:40 am

Not liking this trade at all, but maybe in few years will turned out to be solid. Can Alex play wing on Geno's line or he is here to be 3rd line C and Bjugstad RW will continue!??

Thank you Phil and good luck!
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby midd on Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:12 am

I'm wondering the same. I'm also wondering if Galchenyuk will be here either at camp or by the trade deadline. OR does this make Bjugstad the new trade bait? Both make about he same $$ but Bjugstad has an extra year on his contract. It's possible JR got him to make another move with either guy that could be desirable to more teams that Kessel was.

Pens4Life wrote:Can Alex play wing on Geno's line or he is here to be 3rd line C and Bjugstad RW will continue!??
midd
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Puck-Lurker on Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:17 am

Kessel's contract would've become increasingly more difficult to move if he declines. Changing things up is good, though 2M saved is pocket change. Don't particularly like Kessel going out, but I'm not against it, if the new guys pan out.

I didn't feel Kessel was key to this team's identity last year. Not like Sid, Geno, Tang, Murray and Dumo. More like Patric and Schultz.

If we had to move one of Kessel, Hörnqvist and Schultz, I think this is reasonable.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Penguins Knight on Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:27 am

I hate to see Phil Kessel traded. Trading Kessel was not an easy decision. The return involving Alex Galchenyuk is a step toward remaining competitive, being in postseason play, and winning another Stanley Cup championship.
Penguins Knight
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby iceolater on Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:45 am

We got excellent return when we first traded for Kessel by winning Lord Stanley twice. Something we would not have done without him. As for the side show of Kessel, I think others in the Pens office besides GMJR, wanted him out of here. Some want to point the finger at GMJR but if you were the GM and know about his gambling issues which apparently some of our younger players were involved as well combined with lack of effort, I would want him out of here too. The articles written about Phil sound like the exact words he stated when he left Boston. I personally, loved Phil in a Pens jersey. But, when it comes to outside distractions, well it is time to move it on.

In the meantime, the Pens have gotten faster and younger with our 2 trades. So combined with these 2 new comers, and the excitement of them playing with Crosby and Malkin, it will bring speed and replace the point production that Phil provided us. Time to go eat a hot dog, good luck Phil and thanks for the memories!
iceolater
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Cow_Master66 on Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:24 am

I’ll miss Phil on the ice. Clearly the rift between him and Sully was not going to be fixed.

If you consider the position we are in from a Cup Window, then think about the fact we traded a Point/Game player who is making 3M less than he should and still controlled for another THREE years??? I mean the relationship had to be pretty bad!

So, this team just needs to sign one of the many other 80+ point players for around 6M and plug him right in!!
Cow_Master66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby penny lane on Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:35 am

This also opens a power play spot for Jake or for 2 D on the point.
Next up for GMJR is an extension for Coach Sullivan.

Mario and Tocchet go back a long way. Mario will remember AZ getting this done.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins