Kessel Traded

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Kessel Traded

Postby Hatrick on Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:31 pm

DelPen wrote:Looking at what other teams had to do to clear cap space we managed a good return for Kessel.

moving Phil isn't a cap space move, moving Johnson would be. Moving Marleau was. etc.
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Southern Fan on Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:25 am

midd wrote:I wish I had seen this after Phil was traded to the Pens.

This was awesome.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby brwi on Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:43 pm

LimerickPensFan wrote:I actually dislike Fitzgerald intensely. No way I'd say he was a great writer. I think he became great because teachers found out he was a great way to annoy students.

:thumb: x100
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Penspal on Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:21 am

Southern Fan wrote:
midd wrote:I wish I had seen this after Phil was traded to the Pens.

This was awesome.

He did another one recently about Kessel, even referenced the one you showed. I almost posted it because it reminded me of someone on this board ;)
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens_CT on Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:00 pm

FWIW here are Sullivan quotes to Dave Molinari this evening on DK's website. There was probably more going on than he will admit, but I assume he saw no reason to throw Kessel under the bus in this interview as it would serve no purpose.

“My relationship with Phil has been the same for four years,” Sullivan said. “There were times when Phil and I had our disagreements over the course of our time together, but it wasn’t any more than it was in Years 1, 2 or 3. Sometimes, the speculation gets blown out of proportion that we had this real adversarial relationship, where we were at odds, and there was confrontation all the time. Quite honestly, there wasn’t."

“Did we have some discussions over the course of the season that one would consider ‘confrontational?’ Sure. But that’s part of the coach-player relationship. I’ve had that with many players, not just Phil. My relationship with Phil was the same as it was in Years 1, 2 and 3.”

“Let’s just say that Phil has strong convictions on how he feels the game should be played, on how he thinks he should be played and utilized in certain situations,” Sullivan said. “Sometimes, we were in agreement and other times, we weren’t. That’s part of what makes Phil the player that he is.”

Sullivan did not respond directly to a question about the ways he found Kessel difficult to coach, but acknowledged that their perspectives on Kessel’s niche with the Penguins weren’t always in sync.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Humperdink on Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:08 pm

brwi wrote:
LimerickPensFan wrote:I actually dislike Fitzgerald intensely. No way I'd say he was a great writer. I think he became great because teachers found out he was a great way to annoy students.

:thumb: x100

"Although The Great Gatsby was well-received when it was published, it was not until the 1950s and '60s, long after Fitzgerald's death, that it achieved its stature as the definitive portrait of the "Roaring Twenties," as well as one of the greatest American novels ever written."

https://www.biography.com/writer/f-scott-fitzgerald

Note: My original point on my Fitz comment was regarding the spelling/grammar gendarme. Would it help if Fitz was labelled famous, as opposed to great? It matters not a twit to me.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:14 am

Since there is still an active Kessel thread (since he's now NPR material) I'll put this here. I mentioned previously the John Scott fight with Phil Kessel, and how it all went down. This is a good interview from this week of Scott again describing the whole scene of what lead to him jumping Kessel in that preseason game years ago.

FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Great58 on Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:25 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Since there is still an active Kessel thread (since he's now NPR material) I'll put this here. I mentioned previously the John Scott fight with Phil Kessel, and how it all went down. This is a good interview from this week of Scott again describing the whole scene of what lead to him jumping Kessel in that preseason game years ago.

I now dislike John Scott more than I did after his bogus ASG selection.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins