6/21 NHL Draft discussion

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

6/21 NHL Draft discussion

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:38 pm

Still no new trades announced with 90 minutes left before the start of the draft. Not hearing anything major or new around the Penguins right now.

Around the league....

--Tyson Barrie to Vancouver is heating up. 1 scenario had Barrie for Jake Virtanen and Vancouver's 1st rounder.

--PK Subban to Toronto is starting to heat up

--Lou Lamoriello and Paul Fenton reportedly just had a lengthy chat on the draft floor. Some whispers deal for Zucker may be in the work for the Isles.

Will keep updating this thread ahead of, during, and after the draft.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: 6/21 NHL Draft discussion

Postby Daniel on Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:44 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Still no new trades announced with 90 minutes left before the start of the draft. Not hearing anything major or new around the Penguins right now.

Around the league....

--Tyson Barrie to Vancouver is heating up. 1 scenario had Barrie for Jake Virtanen and Vancouver's 1st rounder.

--Lou Lamoriello and Paul Fenton reportedly just had a lengthy chat on the draft floor. Some whispers deal for Zucker may be in the work for the Isles.

That return for Barrie seems rather high considering he has one more year before being a UFA.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:46 pm

Daniel wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Still no new trades announced with 90 minutes left before the start of the draft. Not hearing anything major or new around the Penguins right now.

Around the league....

That return for Barrie seems rather high considering he has one more year before being a UFA.

A good VAN fan I talk currently thinks Barrie, Soderberg, and #16 overall to VAN for Virtanen, Stecher, and #10 overall. Swap of picks, not 1st going only one way.

Also, Dubas just got on the draft floor, and immediately talking to David Poile. That should heat up the Toronto and Subban rumors some more.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby thehockeyguru on Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:55 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Daniel wrote:

Around the league....

A good VAN fan I talk currently thinks Barrie, Soderberg, and #16 overall to VAN for Virtanen, Stecher, and #10 overall. Swap of picks, not 1st going only one way.

Also, Dubas just got on the draft floor, and immediately talking to David Poile. That should heat up the Toronto and Subban rumors some more.

That tells you all you need to know about what the NHL thinks of Kris Letang. Subban has worn out his welcome twice and is still getting more attention.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:05 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
Daniel wrote:

Around the league....

That tells you all you need to know about what the NHL thinks of Kris Letang. Subban has worn out his welcome twice and is still getting more attention.

Tells you nothing. GMJR's price is said to be extremely high. Preds aren't going to give Subban away, but they are in a bigger crunch to move him to open up cap space.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens_CT on Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:07 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
Daniel wrote:

Around the league....

Let’s see what kind of return they get for Subban first, or does Nashville take on Marleau’s contract for a year to dump him.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ville5 on Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:09 pm

-Isn't there a draft thread just 2-3 spots down?
- Bettman said he has an announcement to open the draft and you're gonna want to hear this. Per tsn.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby dark_forces on Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:10 pm

If Carolina offered Faulk and the highest of their 3 second round picks, would you deal Letang there?
To me, that would be tempting.
dark_forces
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby ville5 on Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:13 pm

-Bruins kicking tires on Zucker
-Burakovsky might not be given QO
- Brodie could be on the move.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby penny lane on Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:16 pm

PK Subban will have TO media in his pocket. For a short period of time. Until the season begins.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:20 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
Daniel wrote:

Around the league....

Tells you nothing. GMJR's price is said to be extremely high. Preds aren't going to give Subban away, but they are in a bigger crunch to move him to open up cap space.

Therein lies the problem, setting the price extremely high for Letang. I predicted this team would go nowhere with Letang at the beginning of last season and if we go through another season with him it will be the same result. This team needs to take a more structured approach, Letang is the opposite of structure.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby dark_forces on Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:22 pm

Pick prediction? Assuming they keep it.
I'm going Ville Heinola.
dark_forces
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:24 pm

Sounding like Tyson Barrie is going to be the first trade of the draft. Action really heating up on him. Sakic just had a long conversation with his Asst. GM.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby thehockeyguru on Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:25 pm

dark_forces wrote:Pick prediction? Assuming they keep it.
I'm going Ville Heinola.

I'd bet they trade down, they keep it I'm saying Thomas Harley.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Steve Dave on Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:27 pm

I'm going Ville Heinola.

Poulin
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:28 pm

I'm going Ville Heinola.

Wish: Podkolzin falls out of the top 10, and Penguins move up to get him. Everything I have heard is, if it wasn't for the 2-year contract in the KHL, he'd almost certainly be the #3 overall.

Real projection: Ryan Suzuki
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens_CT on Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:29 pm

dark_forces wrote:If Carolina offered Faulk and the highest of their 3 second round picks, would you deal Letang there?

I guess if I'm Carolina why do I make that trade. Do you really want to trade for another defensemen, 4 years older, who costs 2.0+ million more per season? If I'm Carolina I'd move him for a forward.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:31 pm

pens_CT wrote:
dark_forces wrote:If Carolina offered Faulk and the highest of their 3 second round picks, would you deal Letang there?

I guess if I'm Carolina why do I make that trade. Do you really want to trade for another defensemen, 4 years older, who costs 2.0+ million more per season? If I'm Carolina I'd move him for a forward.

Only reason would be a few years of cost certainty.

And then you ask, why should the Penguins trade for Faulk when, he's not as good as Letang, and with the way salaries are going, Faulk will get Letang money on his next deal.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:33 pm

Bergevin told Renaud Lavoie that it is very unlikely he will be involved in any trades tonight.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens_CT on Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:37 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
I'm going Ville Heinola.

Wish: Podkolzin falls out of the top 10, and Penguins move up to get him. Everything I have heard is, if it wasn't for the 2-year contract in the KHL, he'd almost certainly be the #3 overall.

Wish: Raphael Lavoie
Real Projection: Tobias Bjornfot
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:39 pm

pens_CT wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
I'm going Ville Heinola.

Wish: Raphael Lavoie
Real Projection: Tobias Bjornfot

Bjornfot is my pick if we go defense. Really wanted Moritz Seider, but many pundits are picking him to be one of the biggest climbers in the draft. Lots of teams want him.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ville5 on Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:40 pm

Karlsson and VGK close to long-term contract extension.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:43 pm

My guess on smaller move for the Penguins: Trade Bryan Rust for a 3rd round pick. I think Kahun may be able to do a lot of what Rusty does for 1/3 the price. No sources. No viable info. Would free up 3.75M though.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:44 pm

Chris Johnston of Sportsnet says Leafs and Kapanen are close to an extension.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby thehockeyguru on Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:49 pm

FLPensFan wrote:My guess on smaller move for the Penguins: Trade Bryan Rust for a 3rd round pick. I think Kahun may be able to do a lot of what Rusty does for 1/3 the price. No sources. No viable info. Would free up 3.75M though.

If you arent moving Kessel or Hornqvist and Kahun is going to play RW, Rust has to go.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins