Root sports

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Root sports

Postby brwi on Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:31 pm

LimerickPensFan wrote:
brwi wrote:
DelPen wrote:Nbastreams just got in trouble, not sure how much longer nhlstreams will be around

I have feared that and /nflstreams for 2 yrs now since I ditched DirecTV. Live MMA and soccer streams on reddit got canned recently and I've been surprised that nflstreams has survived this long. I figure nhlstreams will live longer than most but it's a matter of time.

Gasp. You mean you're surprised that the NHL might be unhappy that the product that they provide that is so expensive for them is being given away for free. I'm amazed they've been up this long.

It's the NHL so I'm not amazed at all it is still up. The NFL still being up though is amazing considering the tremendous amount of revenue involved as well as the clout of the NFL.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitts on Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:35 pm

no name wrote:
Pitts wrote:Great info (and a timely thread from my point) I just signed up for Sling tv to cut the cord and have been wondering the same thing. I have used reddit streams before, so that's good to know.

Question on the NHL Center Ice subscription - does it provide Pens games to those local to Pittsburgh? And can I view it on Sling, Netflix, Hulu or Prime? I was just thinking the money saved off my insane cable bill should easily allow me the Center Ice subscription. Thoughts anyone?

I could move to sling with no problem with netfix I think I would be fine but for my wife and daughter I think they would die. Its the idea of going to a bar or friends house to watch the Pens games that would be hard to do.

BTW how do you like Sling?

I got both Sling blue and orange. It has all the channels that the comcast package has. And the channel guide looks nearly identical. My wife's requirement to dump cable was the new package had to have Lifetime and Hallmark. Sling has that. On my smart tv, all I had to do was load the app. I'm getting a Roku box for the TV in my bedroom and one for downstairs. I think you get up to 5 active streams with their O& B package. The app works great on my phone and you can use it anywhere. No complaints. That with Hulu and Netflix and just a good internet connection is knocking nearly $200/mo. off my cable bill!
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:40 pm

Daniel wrote:
Spoiler:
Pruezy11881 wrote:
no name wrote:
Pitts wrote:Great info (and a timely thread from my point) I just signed up for Sling tv to cut the cord and have been wondering the same thing. I have used reddit streams before, so that's good to know.

Question on the NHL Center Ice subscription - does it provide Pens games to those local to Pittsburgh? And can I view it on Sling, Netflix, Hulu or Prime? I was just thinking the money saved off my insane cable bill should easily allow me the Center Ice subscription. Thoughts anyone?

I could move to sling with no problem with netfix I think I would be fine but for my wife and daughter I think they would die. Its the idea of going to a bar or friends house to watch the Pens games that would be hard to do.

I've has Sling for about 2 years and I have almost no issue with it. You can customize your own TV package, which is nice although you still get some channels that you'll most likely never watch. They recently offered a package where you can choose to packages and receive two more at no additional cost.

I've only had minor issues with Sling, llike switching between channels and whatnot, but I think it's the best cutting the cord service. The only reason I don't have Sling now is because AT&T offered about $100 off per month so why not. I think the fact that AT&T can offer about $100 per month off the price tells me all I need to know about big cable companies.

That's the thing. They do not have to gouge you like they do. They just think people are too dumb to do anything different. I have not called to cancel my comcast yet because I'm still waiting for Roku boxes. But when Comcast tries to keep me by lowering my price, I'm gonna tell them where they can kiss it. They suck. Same with Verizon.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Daniel on Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:02 pm

Pitts wrote:
Daniel wrote:
Spoiler:
Pruezy11881 wrote:
no name wrote:

I've has Sling for about 2 years and I have almost no issue with it. You can customize your own TV package, which is nice although you still get some channels that you'll most likely never watch. They recently offered a package where you can choose to packages and receive two more at no additional cost.

I've only had minor issues with Sling, llike switching between channels and whatnot, but I think it's the best cutting the cord service. The only reason I don't have Sling now is because AT&T offered about $100 off per month so why not. I think the fact that AT&T can offer about $100 per month off the price tells me all I need to know about big cable companies.

That's the thing. They do not have to gouge you like they do. They just think people are too dumb to do anything different. I have not called to cancel my comcast yet because I'm still waiting for Roku boxes. But when Comcast tries to keep me by lowering my price, I'm gonna tell them where they can kiss it. They suck. Same with Verizon.

I know part of it is the government taxes (mine are about $20) but still shouldn’t cost over $200 for internet and tv.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Dr Rosenrosen on Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:34 pm

Was a LOYAL 17 year DTv customer until ATT bought them. Ironically, it was when they charged my first installment of CI after I told them to cancel is why I cut the cord. They refused to take it off my bill. That's the moment I knew DTv and outstanding service were dead.

Got Sling and NHL.TV and never looked back. The video quality of NHL.TV was putrid at first, but they've fixed and it's been great the past two years. I only pay for the Sling sports extra package during the hockey season to catch the few games that are on NHL Network. Sling has NBCSN for the others.

Fwiw, I keep Netflix all year round, plus rotate HBO or Showtime in binge/cancel cycles throughout the year.

I now find it funny that cheap old people, like my dad, just cannot cut the cord and pay through the nose. Inertia is a powerful thing.
Dr Rosenrosen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby SLF66 on Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:07 am

What do you cord cutters do for NHL network?
SLF66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby no name on Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:17 am

SLF66 wrote:What do you cord cutters do for NHL network?

From above you can get it on Sling sports package. I can see Sling is all I need with the sports package with Netflix I think I could survive. I just got to find a way to get the Penguins games. NHL.TV is subjected to blackout in the Pittsburgh area.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Cow_Master66 on Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:03 pm

The reddit thread is fine for now, but when it goes away, it will only take 3-5 minutes to find another site that's posting it.

As for the local blackout games if you don't want to go the reddit route, you can also use a VPN service and get around the blackout (via Center Ice), or find a buddy to just give you his/her cable login info and you can just stream it at your house via the cable interface. Toss him/her a case of beer before the season, at the all-star break, start of playoffs, and everybody wins. :pop:

On a side note, what is everyone paying for cable? I would have done this 5 years ago if I was single but thinking about broaching the topic again....

I pay $230 a month...Last I checked I could get Hulu/Netflix/ISP for $120
Cow_Master66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby no name on Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:51 am

Our cable bill is 250. Highest package xfinity has to offer. with a bunch of boxes. I called them to lower our service to the next bundle down to see how much we could save and it was only like 210. slower internet and eliminating 100 channels. Once you lower your service they charge you for the boxes you "rent" so there wasn't any way to save more money.

There has to be a better way. Sling would be it for me if I could get the wife on board.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:22 am

Cow_Master66 wrote:The reddit thread is fine for now, but when it goes away, it will only take 3-5 minutes to find another site that's posting it.

As for the local blackout games if you don't want to go the reddit route, you can also use a VPN service and get around the blackout (via Center Ice), or find a buddy to just give you his/her cable login info and you can just stream it at your house via the cable interface. Toss him/her a case of beer before the season, at the all-star break, start of playoffs, and everybody wins. :pop:

On a side note, what is everyone paying for cable? I would have done this 5 years ago if I was single but thinking about broaching the topic again....

I'm finally starting to give it a try this year. I'm paying around $220 a month for DirecTV. Been with DirecTV for over 20 years, with Center Ice ever year. Since AT&T bought out DTV, their service has gone downhill. I tried reddit streams a few times last year when I was travelling for work, and it worked quite well (even better when I brought the right cords to hookup to the TV in the room). So, this is the first time in 20 years I am not getting center ice.

I plan on getting a loaded Firestick for about $80, and seeing what that gives me. I know of an IPTV service that is pretty cheap that a friend has, that has given them access to every major sporting event (NHL, NFL, NBA, MLB, etc), and the service is pretty cheap.

My biggest issue right now is ISP. Comcast has been horrible for the past 2 years in South Florida. I lose my internet connection 3-5 times a day for 5-15 minutes. I've tried 3 different routers and 2 different modems......pretty convinced it is Comcast and not my equipment. Almost seems like Comcast wants to keep renewing IP addresses multiple times a day and take forever to reconnect.

If I can cut my TV bill (and my family watches a lot of TV) in half, down to about $100, I'd be happy. I'll purchase NHL.tv online IF something goes wrong and the reddit streams don't work for me anymore.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pruezy11881 on Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:44 am

FLPensFan wrote:
Cow_Master66 wrote:The reddit thread is fine for now, but when it goes away, it will only take 3-5 minutes to find another site that's posting it.

I'm finally starting to give it a try this year. I'm paying around $220 a month for DirecTV. Been with DirecTV for over 20 years, with Center Ice ever year. Since AT&T bought out DTV, their service has gone downhill. I tried reddit streams a few times last year when I was travelling for work, and it worked quite well (even better when I brought the right cords to hookup to the TV in the room). So, this is the first time in 20 years I am not getting center ice.

I plan on getting a loaded Firestick for about $80, and seeing what that gives me. I know of an IPTV service that is pretty cheap that a friend has, that has given them access to every major sporting event (NHL, NFL, NBA, MLB, etc), and the service is pretty cheap.

My biggest issue right now is ISP. Comcast has been horrible for the past 2 years in South Florida. I lose my internet connection 3-5 times a day for 5-15 minutes. I've tried 3 different routers and 2 different modems......pretty convinced it is Comcast and not my equipment. Almost seems like Comcast wants to keep renewing IP addresses multiple times a day and take forever to reconnect.

If I can cut my TV bill (and my family watches a lot of TV) in half, down to about $100, I'd be happy. I'll purchase NHL.tv online IF something goes wrong and the reddit streams don't work for me anymore.

Buy the Fire stick and do it yourself...it's cheaper. It really is pretty easy to do yourself and you can have access to most everything you need. Between the Silk browser for Reddit and Kodi for movies and such, you can still have your Hulu, Netflix, Sling for anything else. I personally use Kodi (with the No Limits build), the Silk browser, Sling, and Prime and I love it. You don't need much else. Youtube has good instructional videos and will be your friend for doing the stick.
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:45 am

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... slash-debt

Wonder if AT&T sell this if it will be available on another cable channel that is on Sling or another steaming service.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:05 am

Pruezy11881 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

Buy the Fire stick and do it yourself...it's cheaper. It really is pretty easy to do yourself and you can have access to most everything you need. Between the Silk browser for Reddit and Kodi for movies and such, you can still have your Hulu, Netflix, Sling for anything else. I personally use Kodi (with the No Limits build), the Silk browser, Sling, and Prime and I love it. You don't need much else. Youtube has good instructional videos and will be your friend for doing the stick.

I'm a techie type of guy, so I have wondered if I could do the Firestick programming myself. I had played around with Kodi before, and I tested it out on my computer a few months ago. Biggest problem I had, at least on the PC version of Kodi, is the sources always seemed to get corrupted for me. I'd go into one of the movie apps, search for a movie, it would find all the different possible sources, but when I tried to play it, it would error out. Not sure as to whether this is just needing constant updates to the source apps, the PC version just being junk, or what. I was testing No Limits build, and I believe one build earlier as well.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pruezy11881 on Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:43 am

FLPensFan wrote:
Pruezy11881 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

I'm a techie type of guy, so I have wondered if I could do the Firestick programming myself. I had played around with Kodi before, and I tested it out on my computer a few months ago. Biggest problem I had, at least on the PC version of Kodi, is the sources always seemed to get corrupted for me. I'd go into one of the movie apps, search for a movie, it would find all the different possible sources, but when I tried to play it, it would error out. Not sure as to whether this is just needing constant updates to the source apps, the PC version just being junk, or what. I was testing No Limits build, and I believe one build earlier as well.

Through Kodi, the app that I use for movies is Neptune Rising. I haven't had any issues with that one (yet). But I'm sure that once I do update to the newest version of Kodi and No Limits, something may not work right.
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Cow_Master66 on Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:33 pm

The cordcutitng thing will only be relevant for a short time...I mean it's a decent savings and it's certainly worth it to do it ASAP, but the ISPs still have you by the balls because you need them for internet service, so the price of high speed data will just continue to rise. :face:
Cow_Master66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:13 pm

Cow_Master66 wrote:The cordcutitng thing will only be relevant for a short time...I mean it's a decent savings and it's certainly worth it to do it ASAP, but the ISPs still have you by the balls because you need them for internet service, so the price of high speed data will just continue to rise. :face:

Yeah, but I'm already paying for high speed data, even without cutting the cord. The biggest stopper for me still continues to be inability to get most programming through few services....and that is getting worse.

Netflix
Hulu
Disney
Amazon
HBO
Sling

More and more new services coming out, and they are becoming more and more niche.....meaning each is providing access to less content. $15 for netflix a month, a $99 a year prime membership, etc, etc. I need to see someone pull all these together, not keep exploding them into smaller and smaller chunks.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sigwolf on Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:22 pm

Cow_Master66 wrote:The cordcutitng thing will only be relevant for a short time...I mean it's a decent savings and it's certainly worth it to do it ASAP, but the ISPs still have you by the balls because you need them for internet service, so the price of high speed data will just continue to rise. :face:

...and strangely enough, the same companies that own the cable/satellite options also happen to own the internet options. This cord-cutting trend is just killing them, or not. Cow Master gets it... the time of cord cutting has already come and gone. The media companies are already dividing what's available where, and when it all shakes out, it will be more expensive than a cable subscription to get all the content most people want. They're re-packaging the same content to fit the current technology.
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ville5 on Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:39 pm

FLPensFan wrote:

More and more new services coming out, and they are becoming more and more niche.....meaning each is providing access to less content. $15 for netflix a month, a $99 a year prime membership, etc, etc. I need to see someone pull all these together, not keep exploding them into smaller and smaller chunks.

It's like the bs monopolies the ISPs set up for themselves. I had Verizon for over 10 years. And now it's not available to me? At least 10 ISPs within a half hour of me and only 2 available to me? One of which is hughes net. What kind of criminal arrangement between the ISPs and the government is that?
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:22 am

ville5 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

It's like the bs monopolies the ISPs set up for themselves. I had Verizon for over 10 years. And now it's not available to me? At least 10 ISPs within a half hour of me and only 2 available to me? One of which is hughes net. What kind of criminal arrangement between the ISPs and the government is that?

I had AT&T DSL for about 10 years (going back a bit here). Worked great. All of a sudden one October, it started working about as fast as a 1980's dial up modem. Fought with AT&T for about 3 months. They tried telling me I was too far away from the closest switching station. I was like, I've been in the same spot for 10 years....I didn't move. Their last resort was upgrade to U-Verse with a $250 installation fee. Told them to F off and switched to Comcast, which was the only other provider available.

Now 8 or so years with Comcast, I am getting frequent dropouts of service, like 5 or more times a day where it seems like the DHCP lease is resetting and takes 5 or more minutes to renew the lease. I've heard from various people I know that have Comcast all report the same thing. Right now, I am not aware of any other major internet provider in my area (South Florida, so not like I am in the middle of nowhere).

When you have a monopoly, you can provide total **** quality of service and most times get away with it.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Ohio_Pens_fan on Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:00 am

I'm going to ask what may be an obvious question to most of you but here it goes: I'm moving to northeast Ohio next year and am deciding between DirectTv and Spectrum cable. What station shows nearly all the Penguin games - Root sports or is it something else? I don't do the various streaming options so please don't suggest those routes.
Ohio_Pens_fan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby no name on Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:25 am

Ohio_Pens_fan wrote:I'm going to ask what may be an obvious question to most of you but here it goes: I'm moving to northeast Ohio next year and am deciding between DirectTv and Spectrum cable. What station shows nearly all the Penguin games - Root sports or is it something else? I don't do the various streaming options so please don't suggest those routes.

See if they offer AT&T sports net in their package that has root sports.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby EU1987 on Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:41 pm

Cow_Master66 wrote:

Can you do this for AT&T Sports? Last I checked they had no app or anything with vague promises of one "in the future".
EU1987

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins