Maatta to CHI

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Maatta to CHI

Postby Antonio on Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:33 pm

Call it the Goose Down line. Softest line in hockey.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby 100565 on Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:14 pm

Honestly, only saw Kahun play a fee games and do not remember his presence....that is not good or bad...just not paying attention to him.

However, from reports and such, I like the deal. Probably get time on 1st and 2nd lines to see if he fits well with either Sid or Geno. If so, (seems like Sid type of RW...Sheary without falling down) awrsome...cheap top 6 wing. If no fit for 1st or 2nd, then he will be solid on 3rd.

I have always thought wingers were replaceable to Sid and Geno. They have both produced similar numbers throughout their careers with many different wingers...some talented, some not so much. Pethaps as they get older it will change, but not yet.

Pay Centers and top 4D.
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pens_CT on Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:29 pm

Antonio wrote:Call it the Goose Down line. Softest line in hockey.

81 and 71 can't play together. At best Geno is average defensively when he wants to be. 81 can't find his defensive zone with a road map and a flashlight. Since no other team wants 81 he's has to be on the third line otherwise it's a total disaster with him on line 2.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby 100565 on Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:40 pm

pens_CT wrote:
81 and 71 can't play together. At best Geno is average defensively when he wants to be. 81 can't find his defensive zone with a road map and a flashlight. Since no other team wants 81 he's has to be on the third line otherwise it's a total disaster with him on line 2.

agree 71 and 81 shiuld not play together. Disagree with Geno's defensive gamee...when he wants, he is a strong defensive forward. He has not wanted that for awhile though...only flashes.
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Hatrick on Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:35 pm

so I read a few articles on him today, seems like he is somewhat of a simon type, maybe only with a bit more scoring and a bit less defensive work.

But can play all three spots, analytical looks good 5on5, not a PP or PK guy, etc.
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:00 am

Looked at a lot of Chicago fan reactions. They were much more upset in bring in $4.1M Maatta than in sending out Kahun. Most said that they "liked" Kahun but that he is a bottom-6 type, maybe mid-6.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby brwi on Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:06 am

Seems on the surface a pretty decent deal with the $ saved. While the return on Maatta would have been higher a year ago, it is what it is. Kahun being 24 and cheap with maybe a little upside is OK. Now to get to work on moving out some more dmen to finish undoing the fiasco GMJR has created with the blueline.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pensfan4life8771 on Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:11 am

So now that we have moved a D Man what does everyone think the next move will be?

I think we will see a two part move next with Petersson signing 2M/yr for 3 yrs and than once inked flipping Johnson for a pick or another bad contract that benefits us.

I think the Pens goal is to walk into FA period with $8M-$9M to get another top forward.
Pensfan4life8771
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby brwi on Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:25 am

LimerickPensFan wrote:Johnson isn't going anywhere. You guys need to give up on that concept.

When Sullivan sours on players, they tend to indeed go, whether that's to eating nachos or another team. JJ getting scratched in the playoffs for a not ready to return from injury Maatta shows how Sullivan feels about JJ.

While GMJR is obviously the boss, he's not been forcing Sullivan to live with GMJR's choices of talent at times so there has been the disconnect between the two. As of now, it seems as though GMJR is still going to go along with Sully's way so I wouldn't discount JJ being moved at all even if it means swapping for another bad contract in exchange.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Ohio_Pens_fan on Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:52 am

Pensfan4life8771 wrote:So now that we have moved a D Man what does everyone think the next move will be?

I think we will see a two part move next with Petersson signing 2M/yr for 3 yrs and than once inked flipping Johnson for a pick or another bad contract that benefits us.

I think the Pens goal is to walk into FA period with $8M-$9M to get another top forward.

These opinions have no basis in truth so here goes:
While I would like to see Schultz stay, I can see him as part of a trade for Trouba. I don’t think there is any chance of Panarin coming here, but I wouldn’t mind seeing Kessel being moved for cap relief, picks, etc. thus opening space for a forward(s) be it Zucker, Ferland, or whomever. And of course resigning the RFAs. Nothing concrete here, just reiterating some of the vague suggestions I’ve seen that I agree with.

EDIT: and of course get rid of JJ, though I doubt that will be accomplished.
Last edited by Ohio_Pens_fan on Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ohio_Pens_fan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby GSdrums87 on Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:04 am

Pensfan4life8771 wrote:So now that we have moved a D Man what does everyone think the next move will be?

If the play is to get another top 6 forward, I think the odd man out has to be Hornqvist. If you aren't playing him in the top 6, that contract doesn't look great.

For me a win is shipping out JJ for space first and foremost.
GSdrums87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby IntangibleBeer on Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:18 am

I would very much like to see JJ moved, preferably for another forward. I want us to keep Gudbranson and Schultz. Hornqvist remains a question mark in my mind. I like his style of play, his intensity, and everything he brings to the team. Is he healthy enough to rebound from last year? Hard to say.

Cullen and Wilson need to go, much as I respect Cullen as a person. Their departures won't generate much cap space, but it's time to let Bleuger center a line.

If they are hell bent on trading Kessel, then now's the time. The only real justification for this in my mind is that he is causing locker-room dissension, but it is what it is. I hope they get some value back.

With all of this, the Pens may be able to generate a big bag of cash. I like the idea of the Pens going into free agency with a bag of money for a top forward.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pensfan4life8771 on Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:19 am

Ohio_Pens_fan wrote:

While I would like to see Schultz stay, I can see him as part of a trade for Trouba. I don’t think there is any chance of Panarin coming here, but I wouldn’t mind seeing Kessel being moved for cap relief, picks, etc. thus opening space for a forward(s) be it Zucker, Ferland, or whomever. And of course resigning the RFAs. Nothing concrete here, just reiterating some of the vague suggestions I’ve seen that I agree with.

Agree with what you are thinking here. My only thing I am little misled on is the whole Trouba for Schultz. Aren't they basically the same player? From what I understand Schultz and Trouba also want to test FA after 19-20 season?
Pensfan4life8771
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pensfan4life8771 on Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:22 am

Pensfan4life8771 wrote:
Ohio_Pens_fan wrote:

Agree with what you are thinking here. My only thing I am little misled on is the whole Trouba for Schultz. Aren't they basically the same player? From what I understand Schultz and Trouba also want to test FA after 19-20 season?

I rather keep Gubby over JJ only cause Gubby proved he can play in our system and he can throw down if needed. We don't really have another player that can do that well. My thoughts with Horny is he is a trade candidate but only during the season. I think you put him with Jake and Sid (and keep him there this time) for first couple months and see if he can rebound from last year.

My other big wild card is Bjustad. I like him as a player and he is young I am just not sure how and where his $4M/yr fits. If we are trying to get Kessel on his own line I don't think Bjustad is the right center to complement that path forward. I also however don't have a clue to what Bjustad market could be.
Pensfan4life8771
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:19 am

Pensfan4life8771 wrote:
Ohio_Pens_fan wrote:

Trouba is much better than Schultz. He's also 4 years younger, and has the potential to be a #1 d-man. I don't think he is a Letang. Doughty, Burns, Karlsson type of top d-man, but, in the Penguins system, I think he would be a good fit.

The Trouba issue is, he's reportedly wanting 7-8M a year, and had already had difficult negotiations with Winnipeg. He requested a trade a one point. Everything points to Trouba being traded. The question is, as an RFA, will he sign a longer term deal, or will he only sign a one year deal to become a UFA after this season (which has been widely reported).
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Daniel on Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:16 pm

Pensfan4life8771 wrote:
Pensfan4life8771 wrote:
Ohio_Pens_fan wrote:

I rather keep Gubby over JJ only cause Gubby proved he can play in our system and he can throw down if needed. We don't really have another player that can do that well. My thoughts with Horny is he is a trade candidate but only during the season. I think you put him with Jake and Sid (and keep him there this time) for first couple months and see if he can rebound from last year.

My other big wild card is Bjustad. I like him as a player and he is young I am just not sure how and where his $4M/yr fits. If we are trying to get Kessel on his own line I don't think Bjustad is the right center to complement that path forward. I also however don't have a clue to what Bjustad market could be.

While I don't think Bjugstad is as good as Bozak, I think he could fit with Kessel the way Bozak did.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Penspal on Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:19 pm

Good Luck Ollie, you will always be a two time champion!

Kahun sounds decent enough, and still maybe a little upside.

Jarry will be the next to go, likely as part of a bigger deal.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Penspal on Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:23 pm

If GMJR was REALLY serious about WIN NOW, as he was quoted as saying after the Ollie trade, then trading away your first round pick is win now. But what's more ALL IN.....
Spoiler:
offer sheets.
GMJR, many of us have figured you out, but you go offer sheet crazy... you da baddest GM the league has ever seen.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:18 am

Kahun-Bjugstad-Hornqvist

HBK 2.0
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:33 am

Penspal wrote:If GMJR was REALLY serious about WIN NOW, as he was quoted as saying after the Ollie trade, then trading away your first round pick is win now. But what's more ALL IN.....
Spoiler:
offer sheets.
GMJR, many of us have figured you out, but you go offer sheet crazy... you da baddest GM the league has ever seen.

If you want a guy's opinion on offer sheets, ask Ray Shero....ESPN did, and got a few F-bombs out of him.

His basic response was he has no clue if anybody will get an offer sheet. Question comes up every year. But, he seemed to make it clear that nobody should be afraid of them:

"We all know what the CBA is. There is no gentleman's agreement. F--- that s---. When people say that, it's a lazy narrative, I'll tell you that. Really? Your ownership's competitive, GMs are competitive, and it's the buddy-buddy system? What the f--- is that? It doesn't mean something will or won't happen, but that's been the narrative for years, and I don't know why."
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Hatrick on Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:47 pm

Penspal wrote:If GMJR was REALLY serious about WIN NOW, as he was quoted as saying after the Ollie trade, then trading away your first round pick is win now. But what's more ALL IN.....
Spoiler:
offer sheets.

if that goes how his usual free agent signing goes, pass.

Not that he really has the cap room to offer sheet anyway.
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:30 am

FLPensFan wrote:
Spoiler:
offer sheets.

If you want a guy's opinion on offer sheets, ask Ray Shero....ESPN did, and got a few F-bombs out of him.

His basic response was he has no clue if anybody will get an offer sheet. Question comes up every year. But, he seemed to make it clear that nobody should be afraid of them:

"We all know what the CBA is. There is no gentleman's agreement. F--- that s---. When people say that, it's a lazy narrative, I'll tell you that. Really? Your ownership's competitive, GMs are competitive, and it's the buddy-buddy system? What the f--- is that? It doesn't mean something will or won't happen, but that's been the narrative for years, and I don't know why."

Has Shero ever done an offer sheet?
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins