Penguins and other NHL confirmed offseason moves

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Penguins and other NHL confirmed offseason moves

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:34 pm

Using this thread to just list confirmed deals, rather than bury them in the other 5 threads out there.

Adding the 1st one, which belongs to the Philly Flyers:

Flyers just announced they have traded a 2019 5th round pick to Winnipeg for the rights to Kevin Hayes. :shock:
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Penguins and other NHL confirmed offseason moves

Postby lemieuxReturns on Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:38 pm

Hopefully Hayes pulls a Hamhuis on the Flyers.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:04 pm

Not a trade, but it appears that the Jeff Skinner deal is now official. 8 years, 72M total, 9M AAV. I like Skinner, but ouch, that's a lot of money. In fact, he is now the 3rd highest paid winger in the NHL, behind Ovechkin and Benn.

I do not think Skinner is the 3rd best winger in the NHL. Pretty sure he's not even in my top 10. I'd say this deal is at least 2M too much per season.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Ohio_Pens_fan on Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:46 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Not a trade, but it appears that the Jeff Skinner deal is now official. 8 years, 72M total, 9M AAV. I like Skinner, but ouch, that's a lot of money. In fact, he is now the 3rd highest paid winger in the NHL, behind Ovechkin and Benn.

I do not think Skinner is the 3rd best winger in the NHL. Pretty sure he's not even in my top 10. I'd say this deal is at least 2M too much per season.

Wow, he scores 63 points 3x in his career and that dictates that kind of contract? Who thinks that they’ll be regretting this in about 2 years?
Ohio_Pens_fan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby joopen on Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:09 am

Guentzel left a lot of money on the table, no?
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Ericf on Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:30 am

joopen wrote:Guentzel left a lot of money on the table, no?

No...that’s the difference between RFA years and UFAs....the Pens bought out several RFA years since he was only 23. If Jake was going to be a UFA, it would have cost a lot more. Same thing with Pastrnak, MacKinnon etc. That’s why ideally you want to find these scorers in the draft or as college free agents and not in free agency
Ericf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Jim on Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:38 am

$9.0M for Skinner
$6.8M for Kessel
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ville5 on Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:32 pm

Jim wrote:$9.0M for Skinner
$6.8M for Kessel

As a fan, I'd like to thank Evgeni and Sid. Seeing what players have agreed to since Sid and Geno signed their contracts is mind-boggling. Sid and Geno left so much on the table. Which has allowed us to remain competitive.
I'm not sure if I was in their positions that I'd be able to turn down that much money. Especially as short as NHL careers are.
Again, thanks guys.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pekkasteele on Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:21 pm

ville5 wrote:
Jim wrote:$9.0M for Skinner
$6.8M for Kessel

As a fan, I'd like to thank Evgeni and Sid. Seeing what players have agreed to since Sid and Geno signed their contracts is mind-boggling. Sid and Geno left so much on the table. Which has allowed us to remain competitive.
I'm not sure if I was in their positions that I'd be able to turn down that much money. Especially as short as NHL careers are.
Again, thanks guys.

I dont remember how it was with Malkin, but I think Sid got the max contract he could.

I guess he could have asked for a shorter one to be able to get a better contract sooner, but anyway their contracts have to be the best value in the league now?
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Antonio on Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:40 pm

Yeah they could have gotten MORE...but lets have perspective for gods sake. ONE year at 8 million is enough money that after taxes, you could easily have enough to invest in the most conservative investments, and generate $120,000 a year in income forever. Almost DOUBLE what the average family of FOUR makes in the US. Plenty for a comfortable life indefinitely. Let us not shed tears for shortness of a career or the money left behind. Now, I get guys who make like 500k and get a chance at 3m like Deryk Engelland, but those cases are fairly rare. Also, if you worried about how short your career is and you are "ONLY" making 700k, then invest wisely and live on a normal person's salary, investing the rest. This would allow someone making even that to be able to have a steady income stream of 100k+ after only a couple of years in the NHL. If they are financially stupid, or profligate, that is no reason to feel bad for them, especially if the standard we are setting is that they need to be able to have millions and millions of dollars every year for the rest of their life because they excelled at playing a game for a living.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:59 pm

Nobody has signed at the upper limit that the CBA allows. Not Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Towes, Kane, McDavid...

The CBA allows a single player to make more, but the reality of the business does not. These guys aren't "leaving money on the table" because that are not signing at the max... the max simply, honestly, doesn't work.

The limit for a player this summer will be around $16M per year.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ville5 on Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:39 am

Sid definitely could've signed for more than he agreed to if he wanted to push the issue. But because he has endorsements and wanted a competitive team around him, he took less. The exact definition of leaving money on the table. Geno also followed suit.
And I dont feel sorry for any of them lol.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:13 am

ville5 wrote:Sid definitely could've signed for more than he agreed to if he wanted to push the issue. But because he has endorsements and wanted a competitive team around him, he took less. The exact definition of leaving money on the table. Geno also followed suit.
And I dont feel sorry for any of them lol.

You pretty much have to leave money. Find me a team with a player taking near the maximum that can put a good team around that player.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby lemieuxReturns on Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:25 pm

Antonio wrote:Yeah they could have gotten MORE...but lets have perspective for gods sake. ONE year at 8 million is enough money that after taxes, you could easily have enough to invest in the most conservative investments, and generate $120,000 a year in income forever. Almost DOUBLE what the average family of FOUR makes in the US. Plenty for a comfortable life indefinitely. Let us not shed tears for shortness of a career or the money left behind. Now, I get guys who make like 500k and get a chance at 3m like Deryk Engelland, but those cases are fairly rare. Also, if you worried about how short your career is and you are "ONLY" making 700k, then invest wisely and live on a normal person's salary, investing the rest. This would allow someone making even that to be able to have a steady income stream of 100k+ after only a couple of years in the NHL. If they are financially stupid, or profligate, that is no reason to feel bad for them, especially if the standard we are setting is that they need to be able to have millions and millions of dollars every year for the rest of their life because they excelled at playing a game for a living.

Yep, if you were to take just one year of Sid's salary of 8.7 million and take 50% away for tax reasons, you would be left with 4.4 million.
If you were to take that 4.4 million and invest in the Vanguard high dividend yield index fund (which spreads risk over many companies) @ a yield of 3.4% you would have $149,000 a year in dividend income (which is taxed at 15% not your regular income tax rate).
That is only one years salary and is also assuming you dont re-invest the quarterly dividend payents which would be about $37,000. If you were to take those and re-invest your annual dividend income would be even greater.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Wyopen on Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:38 am

Niskanen traded to Flyers for Gudas.
Wyopen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Jim on Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:45 am

Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:10 am

Elliotte Friedman
‏Verified account @FriedgeHNIC
3m3 minutes ago
$5.5M AAV
Jordan Eberle re-signs with the Isles.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:25 am

5 years, 5.5M AAV for Eberle with the Isles. With other contracts being thrown around, that's a pretty solid value contract for the isles. Eberle had 19 goals last year in a down season, but, had 20 or more for 6 straight seasons, averaged in the 55-65 point range. Under 6M.....good deal.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jim on Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:28 am

In case people didn't know:

"NPR" means Non-Pens Related. That means that if the Caps, Flyers or Islanders do something, it goes there.

"Penguins Affiliates" means that if there is something happening with WBS or Wheeling, it goes there.

Mod Jim
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Owchar76 on Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:57 am

FLPensFan wrote:Using this thread to just list confirmed deals, rather than bury them in the other 5 threads out there.

Flyers just announced they have traded a 2019 5th round pick to Winnipeg for the rights to Kevin Hayes. :shock:

Thanks FLPF. Nobody really visits the other areas of the board, so dedicating a thread to things like this in here works well.
Owchar76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:13 pm

Owchar76 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Using this thread to just list confirmed deals, rather than bury them in the other 5 threads out there.

Thanks FLPF. Nobody really visits the other areas of the board, so dedicating a thread to things like this in here works well.

Contrary to "Mod Jim's" comment, I 1000% agree with you, Owchar.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby brwi on Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:42 pm

FLPensFan wrote:5 years, 5.5M AAV for Eberle with the Isles. With other contracts being thrown around, that's a pretty solid value contract for the isles. Eberle had 19 goals last year in a down season, but, had 20 or more for 6 straight seasons, averaged in the 55-65 point range. Under 6M.....good deal.

Most everyone had been saying Eberle was leaving the Isles and would likely get a 6M or more deal elsewhere. Guess Eberle more sold on the Isles than people thought. He did have a good post season this time around after being a nothing before.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jim on Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:25 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Owchar76 wrote:

I guess it it a little difficult to put Penguin stuff in a Penguin thread and non-Penguin stuff in a non-Penguin thread. 2 choices, A or B... Some people just can't handle that many options. It's too much, overload. Two... You're smothering me man!

:face:

:thumbdown:
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Daniel on Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:27 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Owchar76 wrote:

Although, Flyers made a trade:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=68082

Discuss

Would work :fist:
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pruezy11881 on Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:11 pm

Botteril goes out and hires Mike Bales, who recently left Carolina.
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins