Penguins media coverage news

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Penguins media coverage news

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:04 am

For anybody who cares about the local coverage of the team:

--Jason Mackey is off the Penguins beat at the PG. He has moved over to the Pirates beat, which was his choice and desire to do. Matt Vensel is continuing to cover the Penguins for the PG, and they are supposed to add a 2nd reporter.

--I was hoping Dave Molinari would be the 2nd reporter, coming back from his strange banishment to Penn State athletics at the PG, however, in a major coup/win, Dave Molinari has left the PG and has been hired at DK Pittsburgh Sports....a major win for them. I had a free DK subscription which expires this month which I had zero intentions of renewing. That will likely change with the hiring of Molinari.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Penguins media coverage news

Postby penny lane on Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:33 am

Well done by Dejan in hiring D Molinari. A real journalist- I hope it works out for for him and will be great for the penguin fans.
I hope this means Molinari was relieved of his duties to cover PSU.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:46 am

penny lane wrote:Well done by Dejan in hiring D Molinari. A real journalist- I hope it works out for for him and will be great for the penguin fans.

I'm guessing Molinari quit or was offered early retirement from the PG. I had asked Dejan about a year ago about hiring Dave, and he just said he has excellent reasons to stay where he is that go well beyond hockey. Molinari had been at the PG forever, so, I'm guessing tenure/pension/retirement type stuff is what kept him there.

I know DK has a lot of respect for Dave, so hopefully it works out and he isn't driven away like several of the other good hockey reporters DK has had.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Ohio_Pens_fan on Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:12 am

FLPensFan wrote:For anybody who cares about the local coverage of the team:

--Jason Mackey is off the Penguins beat at the PG. He has moved over to the Pirates beat, which was his choice and desire to do. Matt Vensel is continuing to cover the Penguins for the PG, and they are supposed to add a 2nd reporter.

--I was hoping Dave Molinari would be the 2nd reporter, coming back from his strange banishment to Penn State athletics at the PG, however, in a major coup/win, Dave Molinari has left the PG and has been hired at DK Pittsburgh Sports....a major win for them. I had a free DK subscription which expires this month which I had zero intentions of renewing. That will likely change with the hiring of Molinari.

Not pleased with the movement of Mackey. I really enjoyed his viewpoint and Q & A sessions. I used to read Molinari when he covered the Pens but always thought he was low key and never really expressed his opinion or passed along rumors - just true reporting. Not a bad thing, just different from the reporting of today's media. Here's to hoping he lasts more than a few months at DK's.
Ohio_Pens_fan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:32 am

Ohio_Pens_fan wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:For anybody who cares about the local coverage of the team:

Not pleased with the movement of Mackey. I really enjoyed his viewpoint and Q & A sessions. I used to read Molinari when he covered the Pens but always thought he was low key and never really expressed his opinion or passed along rumors - just true reporting. Not a bad thing, just different from the reporting of today's media. Here's to hoping he lasts more than a few months at DK's.

I still believe Mackey and Yohe were the best two hockey reporters DK had. They both interact well with fans of the team via Q&A sessions, and, they both seemed to have a good relationship with Rutherford, seemingly having once a week or once a month talks with him.

Mackey was a college baseball player, and apparently, that was his real passion that he always wanted to give a try from the reporter side, and the opportunity arose for him to do it at the PG.

Dave is a very cut and dry reporter. He doesn't like to dwell on speculation and rumors without facts behind them. That being said, if you pay attention to him long enough, you can see he does have a sense of humor and is easy to get along with.

If DK screws this up and fires or forces Molinari to leave, well, not even sure what I would say to that. I don't think there is anybody else locally who could come close to a Yohe/Mackey level than Dave Molinari.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sams_Dog on Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:13 pm

I read Dave Molinari's coverage of rh Pens for years and I though it eventually became very stale and boring. It just seemed like the same template over and over again. You could predict what he was going to write about and say the next morning. I didn't have any problem with Mackey. Yohe is good. Dejan was very good when he covered them. Honestly, Madden has the best coverage of the Pens if you can deal with the over the top stuff.
Sams_Dog
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby LimerickPensFan on Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:19 am

FLPensFan wrote:
penny lane wrote:Well done by Dejan in hiring D Molinari. A real journalist- I hope it works out for for him and will be great for the penguin fans.

I'm guessing Molinari quit or was offered early retirement from the PG. I had asked Dejan about a year ago about hiring Dave, and he just said he has excellent reasons to stay where he is that go well beyond hockey. Molinari had been at the PG forever, so, I'm guessing tenure/pension/retirement type stuff is what kept him there.

I know DK has a lot of respect for Dave, so hopefully it works out and he isn't driven away like several of the other good hockey reporters DK has had.

DK has changed the way he does things, where he really isn't in charge of the reporters. Also, I think Yohe may have left because the editor position was given to Lolley. Not 100% sure on that and my timing could be off as well.
LimerickPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:56 am

LimerickPensFan wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

DK has changed the way he does things, where he really isn't in charge of the reporters. Also, I think Yohe may have left because the editor position was given to Lolley. Not 100% sure on that and my timing could be off as well.

My gut says the editor thing has nothing to do with it. I don't see Yohe as the editor type, or that being something he would have interest in. I think the editor position was put in place more to separate DK from that side a bit, after churning through so many employees in a short time span.

From everything I know, I'm pretty sure the Athletic specifically targeted DK. There were tweets from DK at one time, claiming that "some members of the Athletic" were asking him questions about getting a subscription site like his up and running. I'm assuming these were more of the founders, not really any of the reporters. DK has actually tried to sell his business model, and I believe Boston and Denver have sites that are based off his platform.

I think the Athletic just threw more money at Yohe to get him to leave. Add in the fact that, DK didn't really seem to be a swell guy to work for, and it was a no-brainer for Yohe.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby LimerickPensFan on Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:33 am

FLPensFan wrote:
LimerickPensFan wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

My gut says the editor thing has nothing to do with it. I don't see Yohe as the editor type, or that being something he would have interest in. I think the editor position was put in place more to separate DK from that side a bit, after churning through so many employees in a short time span.

From everything I know, I'm pretty sure the Athletic specifically targeted DK. There were tweets from DK at one time, claiming that "some members of the Athletic" were asking him questions about getting a subscription site like his up and running. I'm assuming these were more of the founders, not really any of the reporters. DK has actually tried to sell his business model, and I believe Boston and Denver have sites that are based off his platform.

I think the Athletic just threw more money at Yohe to get him to leave. Add in the fact that, DK didn't really seem to be a swell guy to work for, and it was a no-brainer for Yohe.

I know The Athletic threw a bunch of money at Yohe. Yohe pretty much stated as much. Sounds like he got the kind of deal that Deryk Engelland got from Calgary.

I know of the site in Boston - in fact DK occasionally puts a piece from there on his site (I'm sure it's recoprocated) when the two city's teams are meeting up - particularly in football. Haven't heard anything from Denver, though.

The Athletic wanted to make local markets in a national company. DK wanted nothing to do with anything but Pittsburgh sports. Being an out-of-town Pittsburgher, I really like DK's site. It keeps me in touch with home.
LimerickPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:38 am

Sams_Dog wrote:I read Dave Molinari's coverage of rh Pens for years and I though it eventually became very stale and boring. It just seemed like the same template over and over again. You could predict what he was going to write about and say the next morning. I didn't have any problem with Mackey. Yohe is good. Dejan was very good when he covered them. Honestly, Madden has the best coverage of the Pens if you can deal with the over the top stuff.

Those are pretty much my feelings too. I'm hoping Molinari felt compelled to keep things more by the book because the PG was a more traditional newspaper. I don't enjoy guys who are just pure rumor mongers or who say outlandish things just to get clicks, but I do like hearing the opinions of reporters who are actually more clued in to what is going on with the team rather than just reporting the facts. And that seems to be the template of the better writers out there today.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins