2019 LGP Summer Armchair GM Thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: 2019 LGP Summer Armchair GM Thread

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:47 am

thehockeyguru wrote:Does anyone have an estimate on the latest Petterssen can sign in order still get his Visa issue resolved and be ready for the start of camp?

I went back and looked at two articles that were on DK's site. One on July 26th was with Pettersson's agent, and the other on August 12th with Rutherford.

--Rutherford said on the 12th Pettersson will have a deal before camp....it just might not be the deal everyone wants (sounds like a hint at minimum QO type deal for 1 year). That would be fallback if Rutherford can't make a trade. It would likely involve cap space being opened by Trotman and Riikola going to WBS.

--Back on July 26th, Pettersson's agent Peter Wallen said Pettersson doesn't want to miss a day of camp, and would prefer to get into Pittsburgh about a week before camp starts to get acclimated and adjust to teh time difference.

I did a little research on athlete visas. Assuming the information I found is correct, a P-1A visa takes 3-6 months to process, however, you can pay a $1225 fee to have it done within 15 days. Based on what I have seen during trades, I believe the NHL can usually get them completed faster than that. Very rare that you see a trade occur where a player doesn't join the new team for more than a week because of visa issues.

My educated guess is that Pettersson needs to be signed next week. Let's assume Pettersson can get his visa processed in 7 days. First day of training camp is September 11th (conditioning day and check-in). If Pettersson wants to be in Pittsburgh a week ahead, that would be September 4th. That would mean he would need to be signed before August 28th (which is 7 days prior to Sept. 4th) to get visa processed and arrive to Pittsburgh on time.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby 100565 on Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:28 am

The offseason trade window is closing fast. I am losing hope for one more hockey trade.

Plan B:
Contract Wile E Coyote. JJ is no roadrunner! LTIR
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Daniel on Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:09 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:Does anyone have an estimate on the latest Petterssen can sign in order still get his Visa issue resolved and be ready for the start of camp?

I went back and looked at two articles that were on DK's site. One on July 26th was with Pettersson's agent, and the other on August 12th with Rutherford.

--Rutherford said on the 12th Pettersson will have a deal before camp....it just might not be the deal everyone wants (sounds like a hint at minimum QO type deal for 1 year). That would be fallback if Rutherford can't make a trade. It would likely involve cap space being opened by Trotman and Riikola going to WBS.

--Back on July 26th, Pettersson's agent Peter Wallen said Pettersson doesn't want to miss a day of camp, and would prefer to get into Pittsburgh about a week before camp starts to get acclimated and adjust to teh time difference.

I did a little research on athlete visas. Assuming the information I found is correct, a P-1A visa takes 3-6 months to process, however, you can pay a $1225 fee to have it done within 15 days. Based on what I have seen during trades, I believe the NHL can usually get them completed faster than that. Very rare that you see a trade occur where a player doesn't join the new team for more than a week because of visa issues.

My educated guess is that Pettersson needs to be signed next week. Let's assume Pettersson can get his visa processed in 7 days. First day of training camp is September 11th (conditioning day and check-in). If Pettersson wants to be in Pittsburgh a week ahead, that would be September 4th. That would mean he would need to be signed before August 28th (which is 7 days prior to Sept. 4th) to get visa processed and arrive to Pittsburgh on time.

I think they can get a visa done in season quicker because I think they have a work visa of some sort in order to come to the states for games. I think it's just a matter of switching the type of visa is why it goes so quickly. Would have to research but I think that's why. As for Pettersson, he's getting a brand new visa for this season.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:17 pm

I asked Molinari about the Pettersson situation today. His response:

I touched base with both Pettersson’s agent and Rutherford about the situation this week, and neither seemed overly concerned yet, so I’ll take my cue from that. I get the feeling that the parameters of a deal have pretty much been worked out, although neither side has said anything remotely close to that.

I do agree with that. I think the parameters for a multiyear deal in the 2-3M range, as well as a 1 year deal for 1M or less, have both been worked out. My gut says GMJR is making every effort to make a trade to allow the multi-year deal to happen, but they have the fallback there in place and a likely drop dead date that both sides will have to accept the less $$, less term deal.

If Marcus could just fill out his body a wee bit more, maybe they could hide Jack Johnson in a closet somewhere, and Pettersson could just assume his salary and term.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Daniel on Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:06 pm

FLPensFan wrote:I asked Molinari about the Pettersson situation today. His response:

I touched base with both Pettersson’s agent and Rutherford about the situation this week, and neither seemed overly concerned yet, so I’ll take my cue from that. I get the feeling that the parameters of a deal have pretty much been worked out, although neither side has said anything remotely close to that.

I do agree with that. I think the parameters for a multiyear deal in the 2-3M range, as well as a 1 year deal for 1M or less, have both been worked out. My gut says GMJR is making every effort to make a trade to allow the multi-year deal to happen, but they have the fallback there in place and a likely drop dead date that both sides will have to accept the less $$, less term deal.

If Marcus could just fill out his body a wee bit more, maybe they could hide Jack Johnson in a closet somewhere, and Pettersson could just assume his salary and term.

I have a feeling that the multiyear deal will happen regardless, just a matter of today or after January (I think January is when they can negotiate?). Like either 1 x $900K (just a guess) + 4 (again a guess x 2-3M ) or just the multiyear deal.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Puck-Lurker on Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:46 pm

Daniel wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:I asked Molinari about the Pettersson situation today. His response:

I have a feeling that the multiyear deal will happen regardless, just a matter of today or after January (I think January is when they can negotiate?). Like either 1 x $900K (just a guess) + 4 (again a guess x 2-3M ) or just the multiyear deal.

If Riikola/Trotman both go down, you're looking at ~1.2M in cap space.

Pettersson gets a 900K deal for the first year, 2M for four years after, that deal is worth 8.9M over five years. That puts his cap hit at 1.78M.

Cannot afford.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Daniel on Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:36 pm

Puck-Lurker wrote:
Daniel wrote:

Pettersson gets a 900K deal for the first year, 2M for four years after, that deal is worth 8.9M over five years. That puts his cap hit at 1.78M.

Cannot afford.

I agree, that's why two contracts. 1 year 900k then in January, or whenever they can negotiate again, he signs the 2m for 4 years (or whatever)
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Ericf on Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:38 pm

Puck-Lurker wrote:
Daniel wrote:

Cannot afford.

Yep, without a trade, they can’t sign Petts to a multi-year deal...but they can re-sign him long term after Jan 1 if they want. My guess is they’ll agree on a cheap one-year deal and then once JR makes a trade, they’ll sign him to a longer deal next year
Ericf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Antonio on Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:49 pm

I swear the NHL has gone totally insane. That **** is totally backwards. A multi year deal should be for LESS money. You are supposed to give up money to get long term certainly, not get MORE money LONGER. A multi year deal for 3 million? For petterson? Oh.my.god.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Owchar76 on Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:49 pm

Antonio wrote:I swear the NHL has gone totally insane. That **** is totally backwards. A multi year deal should be for LESS money. You are supposed to give up money to get long term certainly, not get MORE money LONGER. A multi year deal for 3 million? For petterson? Oh.my.god.

Many times long term deals buy up free agency years, so going cheaper doesn't make sense for the player and actually saves the team money in the long run. Usually this is for higher end players though.
Owchar76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Puck-Lurker on Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:03 am

Owchar76 wrote:
Antonio wrote:I swear the NHL has gone totally insane. That **** is totally backwards. A multi year deal should be for LESS money. You are supposed to give up money to get long term certainly, not get MORE money LONGER. A multi year deal for 3 million? For petterson? Oh.my.god.

Many times long term deals buy up free agency years, so going cheaper doesn't make sense for the player and actually saves the team money in the long run. Usually this is for higher end players though.

How RFA works is already insane. Heavily tilted towards players.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hatrick on Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:21 pm

that would be correct, for unrestricted free agents, for guys still under team control that isn't true.

In baseball for example a player still under team control can take a longer term deal that gives them certainty AND more money for that season, but if they keep playing at that same level or improve, they will be taking a heavy discount those later years.

Look at Marte for example
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:56 pm

Not sure if anyone saw on Twitter or DK Sports....Kasper Bkorkqvist is currently hip thrusting 572lbs. Taylor Haase said as a comparison, James Harrison was hip thrusting about 594 as his comfortable max.

I have really high Hope's for Bjorkqvist, and his workouts and training give me some confidence that he can be in the NHL sooner rather than later
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Puck-Lurker on Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:55 am

FLPensFan wrote:Not sure if anyone saw on Twitter or DK Sports....Kasper Bkorkqvist is currently hip thrusting 572lbs. Taylor Haase said as a comparison, James Harrison was hip thrusting about 594 as his comfortable max.

I have really high Hope's for Bjorkqvist, and his workouts and training give me some confidence that he can be in the NHL sooner rather than later

Didn't he pick up a shoulder injury?
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby stonewizard51 on Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:19 am

Puck-Lurker wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Not sure if anyone saw on Twitter or DK Sports....Kasper Bkorkqvist is currently hip thrusting 572lbs. Taylor Haase said as a comparison, James Harrison was hip thrusting about 594 as his comfortable max.

Didn't he pick up a shoulder injury?

Yeah he did. He had shoulder surgery in the spring.
stonewizard51
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:30 am

I think the workouts show that is physically ready for the NHL. Although the grind of a professional hockey season whether NHL or AHL is much different than college when you play typically twice a week and max out around 40 games per season.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KG on Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:05 am

I don't know if I'm seeing things through my Pens colored glasses...but I think this team is going to have a big year this season.

I really like that we have gotten back to a balanced attack with 4 lines with scoring and speed. This is the best group of forwards and forward depth we've had in some time in my opinion.

I think we get too bogged down that JJ is still on the roster! and he's going to drive down everyone's production!

No team is perfect. And the roster doesn't need to be finalized yet. I fully expect them to add a quality D man to the roster during the season. But I definitely think that this team is flying under the radar and that might not be a bad thing for a change.

Let's roll!
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:44 am

Jack Johnson is the reason that hurricane Dorian has increased strength so quickly.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:18 pm

KG wrote:I don't know if I'm seeing things through my Pens colored glasses...but I think this team is going to have a big year this season.

I really like that we have gotten back to a balanced attack with 4 lines with scoring and speed. This is the best group of forwards and forward depth we've had in some time in my opinion.

I think we get too bogged down that JJ is still on the roster! and he's going to drive down everyone's production!

No team is perfect. And the roster doesn't need to be finalized yet. I fully expect them to add a quality D man to the roster during the season. But I definitely think that this team is flying under the radar and that might not be a bad thing for a change.

Let's roll!

Hey now! You can't go against the company line in here! Shape up or ship out!
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Humperdink on Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:44 pm

Jim wrote:Jack Johnson is the reason that hurricane Dorian has increased strength so quickly.

#JohnsonSucks ..... so to speak.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Malkintent on Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:33 pm

Jim wrote:Jack Johnson is the reason that hurricane Dorian has increased strength so quickly.

He started the fires in the Amazon.
Malkintent
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: Please help my dog https://www.gofundme.com/sumdm7d8

Postby Puck-Lurker on Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:23 am

Malkintent wrote:

He started the fires in the Amazon.

JJ's first contract is in 2006-07, the financial crisis hits a year later.

Surely no coincidence. He brings everyone's stats down around him.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:52 am

Peek-a-boo.

Spoiler:

I'm still waiting guys!!! :cry: :pop:
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby sjnhiils on Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:20 pm

I'm hoping to make it up to Buffalo for the prospect tourney this weekend. Maybe if Josh Williams has a good showing the Pens could get him signed. He was projected to go in the 3rd round last year but somehow went undrafed. Outside of Legare, he might have the best shot of anybody else in the Pens system.
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:04 am

https://www.nhl.com/penguins/news/pengu ... -308880824

General manager Jim Rutherford and his staff have invited 54 players to camp, including 31 forwards, 17 defensemen, and six goaltenders. On the roster are 24 players who played at least one game with Pittsburgh last year. Camp Roster: http://nhl.bamcontent.com/images/assets ... e/file.pdf

And away we go... :D
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins