2019 LGP Summer Armchair GM Thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 2019 LGP Summer Armchair GM Thread

Postby Owchar76 on Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:04 am

FLPensFan wrote:
Jim wrote:When signing a 3rd pair level D is your biggest issue... you can be cavalier about it.

When said 23 year old defenseman is considered to be the 4th best defenseman on your team and a big part of your future defense plans, you probably don't want to be cavalier about it.

Exactly.
Owchar76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:07 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Jim wrote:When signing a 3rd pair level D is your biggest issue... you can be cavalier about it.

When said 23 year old defenseman is considered to be the 4th best defenseman on your team and a big part of your future defense plans, you probably don't want to be cavalier about it.

He's had 20 good games in his career. I realize that Sprong is gone, but lets keep things in perspective people.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:30 pm

Jim wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

He's had 20 good games in his career. I realize that Sprong is gone, but lets keep things in perspective people.

That tells you the state of our blue line when your 4th best defenseman has played 20 good games in his career.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:14 pm

Jim wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

:face:
Last edited by FLPensFan on Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Puck-Lurker on Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:23 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
Jim wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

That tells you the state of our blue line when your 4th best defenseman has played 20 good games in his career.

Yeah, it's a third pair level defenceman, true. Should've been no biggie. But we don't have anyone better for the second pair, either. So it kinda is.

Still, if he wants >2M AAV on a 1-2 yr bridge deal, walk away.

While we might not have anyone with the potential/upside to maybe grow into a 2nd pair lefty -- we do have plenty of third pair and tweener guys to fit his current status/role. Now, I'm willing to admit that none of them could ever be 2LD - but there's also no evidence yet that Pettersson is the answer that either.

Plus RFA without arb right this year.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Wyopen on Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:50 pm

I can’t believe there’s this much discussion over a 2nd/3rd pairing defenseman. What is JR waiting for? Is there something in the wings we don’t know about? I’m assuming MP can’t practice with the team unless he’s signed, so why torture him with indecision. This is mess and it shouldn’t be. If a trade is necessary, make it and get it over with. It’s like anyone of us getting hired for a job, but the employer says you can start if and when we fire someone.
Wyopen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:04 pm

Wyopen wrote:I can’t believe there’s this much discussion over a 2nd/3rd pairing defenseman. What is JR waiting for? Is there something in the wings we don’t know about? I’m assuming MP can’t practice with the team unless he’s signed, so why torture him with indecision. This is mess and it shouldn’t be. If a trade is necessary, make it and get it over with. It’s like anyone of us getting hired for a job, but the employer says you can start if and when we fire someone.

I'm not sure if legally MP can or cannot practice. He might be allowed to come to camp, but advised by his agents not to without a contract.

In the bigger scheme of things, though, he has to get a visa to come to play here. If he doesn't have a contract, he can't get a visa. This was something his agent said, that he wasn't worried about the contract, but he did want to have it done in time for Marcus to come to camp on time, and visa issues would need to be considered.

As to why a trade has not happened yet:
--At this point in the season, already a good 2/3 of the teams are at the 23 player roster limit, and a few are up to 24/25 players.....so there aren't a lot of teams with roster spots available, considering the Penguins are likely going to make a move for a return of picks and prospects, with no salary coming back.
--There are roughly 10-12 teams that couldn't even fit Johnson or Rust's cap on their team. Cap space is already tight.
--Finally, as I alluded to before, there are still 31 RFAs to be signed, with about 10 of them being high end players. Teams that look like they may have cap space really don't because they have expensive RFAs to resign like Laine, Marner, Point, etc.

I mentioned this before, and someone else (I think lemieuxreturns) mentioned it today.....this sure smells a whole lot like the 3C situation a few years ago, where GMJR kept saying I can make a trade for a 3C today if I wanted to......yet still ended up with Rowney and McKegg at 3C/4C to start the season.

Money is tight around the league.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Wyopen on Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:16 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Wyopen wrote:I can’t believe there’s this much discussion over a 2nd/3rd pairing defenseman. What is JR waiting for? Is there something in the wings we don’t know about? I’m assuming MP can’t practice with the team unless he’s signed, so why torture him with indecision. This is mess and it shouldn’t be. If a trade is necessary, make it and get it over with. It’s like anyone of us getting hired for a job, but the employer says you can start if and when we fire someone.

I'm not sure if legally MP can or cannot practice. He might be allowed to come to camp, but advised by his agents not to without a contract.

In the bigger scheme of things, though, he has to get a visa to come to play here. If he doesn't have a contract, he can't get a visa. This was something his agent said, that he wasn't worried about the contract, but he did want to have it done in time for Marcus to come to camp on time, and visa issues would need to be considered.

--At this point in the season, already a good 2/3 of the teams are at the 23 player roster limit, and a few are up to 24/25 players.....so there aren't a lot of teams with roster spots available, considering the Penguins are likely going to make a move for a return of picks and prospects, with no salary coming back.
--There are roughly 10-12 teams that couldn't even fit Johnson or Rust's cap on their team. Cap space is already tight.
--Finally, as I alluded to before, there are still 31 RFAs to be signed, with about 10 of them being high end players. Teams that look like they may have cap space really don't because they have expensive RFAs to resign like Laine, Marner, Point, etc.

I mentioned this before, and someone else (I think lemieuxreturns) mentioned it today.....this sure smells a whole lot like the 3C situation a few years ago, where GMJR kept saying I can make a trade for a 3C today if I wanted to......yet still ended up with Rowney and McKegg at 3C/4C to start the season.

FPF, for s***s and giggles, what if another team tendered an offer sheet to MP a 2M/yr x3. What do you think JR would do? While this won’t happen, it could. Also if other teams are so cash strapped, what makes waiting until September any different than now?
Wyopen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:22 pm

Wyopen wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

FPF, for s***s and giggles, what if another team tendered an offer sheet to MP a 2M/yr x3. What do you think JR would do? While this won’t happen, it could. Also if other teams are so cash strapped, what makes waiting until September any different than now?

Answering the last question first, nothing makes waiting any different. I am subscribed to the theory that the longer this goes, the harder this becomes. This should have been done in mid-July, IMO. Maybe he's trying his @$$ off and just can't get the deal he wants for who he wants to move, or maybe he's 1000% unsatisfied at what is being offered back. Maybe just nobody is interested. Part of the problem now is, GMs are usually on vacation the last week in July through mid-August. GMs are just starting to filter back to work. This is then complicated by the whole RFA situation I described. Quite simply, roster space and cap space are in short supply. There simply aren't many teams that have a need for a guy like Rust or Johnson, and have the cap space/roster space to pull off said deal.

As for the offer sheet....my gut says GMJR would match that instantly, because it would be a good deal for the team. The problem, though, is the 10% summer cap overage is coming to an end. I'm not sure when the date is, but, matching an offer sheet that puts you over the cap, when you are already over the cap and struggling to make a trade.....well, that sounds like going into a season with no 3C, or being forced to play NHL games with only 5 defenseman. Not the smartest thing to do.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Wyopen on Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:34 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Wyopen wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

Answering the last question first, nothing makes waiting any different. I am subscribed to the theory that the longer this goes, the harder this becomes. This should have been done in mid-July, IMO. Maybe he's trying his @$$ off and just can't get the deal he wants for who he wants to move, or maybe he's 1000% unsatisfied at what is being offered back. Maybe just nobody is interested. Part of the problem now is, GMs are usually on vacation the last week in July through mid-August. GMs are just starting to filter back to work. This is then complicated by the whole RFA situation I described. Quite simply, roster space and cap space are in short supply. There simply aren't many teams that have a need for a guy like Rust or Johnson, and have the cap space/roster space to pull off said deal.

As for the offer sheet....my gut says GMJR would match that instantly, because it would be a good deal for the team. The problem, though, is the 10% summer cap overage is coming to an end. I'm not sure when the date is, but, matching an offer sheet that puts you over the cap, when you are already over the cap and struggling to make a trade.....well, that sounds like going into a season with no 3C, or being forced to play NHL games with only 5 defenseman. Not the smartest thing to do.

Curious, Can a GM go into the season over the cap, if so what is the cap penalty? Just to think, as you alluded to earlier in this blog, next year is even worse. Thanks for your comments.
Wyopen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Daniel on Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:29 pm

Wyopen wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Curious, Can a GM go into the season over the cap, if so what is the cap penalty? Just to think, as you alluded to earlier in this blog, next year is even worse. Thanks for your comments.

They can't go over the cap and I think they'd have to waive X amount of players to get under the cap. During the summer they can go 10% over but it has to be under by the time the season starts.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby stonewizard51 on Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:58 am

Daniel wrote:
Wyopen wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Curious, Can a GM go into the season over the cap, if so what is the cap penalty? Just to think, as you alluded to earlier in this blog, next year is even worse. Thanks for your comments.

They can't go over the cap and I think they'd have to waive X amount of players to get under the cap. During the summer they can go 10% over but it has to be under by the time the season starts.

If I remember right didn't NJ run into a situation where their bench was shortened during games because of Kovalchuk's contract ? Again, as I recall, the Devils were severely handicapped when he played because of the roster loss. I didn't follow the most recent CBA so I don't know a lot about it but did the latest CBA change to keep the number of contracts at or under the cap so that doesn't happen again ?
stonewizard51
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Daniel on Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:02 am

stonewizard51 wrote:
Daniel wrote:
Wyopen wrote:

If I remember right didn't NJ run into a situation where their bench was shortened during games because of Kovalchuk's contract ? Again, as I recall, the Devils were severely handicapped when he played because of the roster loss. I didn't follow the most recent CBA so I don't know a lot about it but did the latest CBA change to keep the number of contracts at or under the cap so that doesn't happen again ?

I think the Penguins played with 5 defensemen in JRs first or second year as GM.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:29 am

Looking at this idea from Kingerski: https://pittsburghhockeynow.com/pittsbu ... de-happen/

Currently, the Penguins are $157,500 over the cap (according to cap friendly)
Trading away Rust would free up 3.5 million putting them at 78,157,500 which would be 3.34 million
If they signed Pettersson to a 2.5 miilion contract that would leave you with a little under a million to sign Puljujarvi.
I would think another player would need to be involved to make this work.

Our defense is so damn expensive!

EDIT:
On closer look, the Oilers don't even have the space to trade for Rust without moving salary out. Not sure this idea could work without other moves involved.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby murphydump55 on Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:39 am

Daniel wrote:
stonewizard51 wrote:
Daniel wrote:
Wyopen wrote:

I think the Penguins played with 5 defensemen in JRs first or second year as GM.

It was an embarrassment.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:22 am

lemieuxReturns wrote:Looking at this idea from Kingerski: https://pittsburghhockeynow.com/pittsbu ... de-happen/

Trading away Rust would free up 3.5 million putting them at 78,157,500 which would be 3.34 million
If they signed Pettersson to a 2.5 miilion contract that would leave you with a little under a million to sign Puljujarvi.

EDIT:
On closer look, the Oilers don't even have the space to trade for Rust without moving salary out. Not sure this idea could work without other moves involved.

Multiple problems with this scenario:

1) As you mention, Edmonton doesn't have the cap space to make a Puljujarvi for Rust trade happen.
2) Trading Rust for Puljujarvi does nothing for the Penguins salary cap problems. Puljujarvi is an RFA and we have no idea what he wants. It probably isn't a min-level raise, and even if it is a sub-1M deal for 1 year, we'd have to resign him next year, with Murray, McCann, Schultz, Galchenyuk all looking for raises.
3) Trading anything for Puljujarvi, when the Penguins already have a logjam up front and may be holding back some of their own prospects.

I get the allure. I was a "sign Yakupov; sign Nichushkin" guy. Both of those guys went to other teams. Yakupov fizzled as many predicted. I expect Nichushkin to do the same, because he showed me nothing after going to the KHL for a few seasons. I'm just not on the Puljujarvi hype train. GMJR has bigger puzzles to solve.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ville5 on Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:38 am

FLPensFan wrote:
Wyopen wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

This GM stuff is easy. JJ, Rust and a 1st for Risto and Larsson. Trade Larsson for a pick. You're welcome GMJR.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Daniel on Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:01 am

FLPensFan wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:Looking at this idea from Kingerski: https://pittsburghhockeynow.com/pittsbu ... de-happen/

EDIT:

1) As you mention, Edmonton doesn't have the cap space to make a Puljujarvi for Rust trade happen.
2) Trading Rust for Puljujarvi does nothing for the Penguins salary cap problems. Puljujarvi is an RFA and we have no idea what he wants. It probably isn't a min-level raise, and even if it is a sub-1M deal for 1 year, we'd have to resign him next year, with Murray, McCann, Schultz, Galchenyuk all looking for raises.
3) Trading anything for Puljujarvi, when the Penguins already have a logjam up front and may be holding back some of their own prospects.

I get the allure. I was a "sign Yakupov; sign Nichushkin" guy. Both of those guys went to other teams. Yakupov fizzled as many predicted. I expect Nichushkin to do the same, because he showed me nothing after going to the KHL for a few seasons. I'm just not on the Puljujarvi hype train. GMJR has bigger puzzles to solve.

Is it possible to do a Rust for Puljujarvi and conditional 4th round pick if Puljujarvi doesn't sign......then offer low salary or Europe and not sign him?
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:33 am

ville5 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
Wyopen wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

This GM stuff is easy. JJ, Rust and a 1st for Risto and Larsson. Trade Larsson for a pick. You're welcome GMJR.

You failed your GM job interview. :D

Wouldn't work for Buffalo, as they already have 9 defensemen on their roster, and the only one who has exemption is Dahlen, who isn't going down. They don't need another defenseman back in the deal, and would probably be against it unless it is a pure upgrade over their top 6.
Wouldn't work for Pittsburgh because you are sending out 5.75M, and bringing in just a hair under 7M.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:36 am

Daniel wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

EDIT:

Is it possible to do a Rust for Puljujarvi and conditional 4th round pick if Puljujarvi doesn't sign......then offer low salary or Europe and not sign him?

Rust for a 4th seems a bit low to me, and probably not something GMJR wants to do. If Puljujarvi does sign, I just don't see a good spot for him here. Where is he playing?
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ville5 on Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:40 am

FLPensFan wrote:
ville5 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
Wyopen wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:I'm not sure if legally MP can or cannot practice. He might be allowed to come to camp, but advised by his agents not to without a contract.

You failed your GM job interview. :D

Wouldn't work for Buffalo, as they already have 9 defensemen on their roster, and the only one who has exemption is Dahlen, who isn't going down. They don't need another defenseman back in the deal, and would probably be against it unless it is a pure upgrade over their top 6.
Wouldn't work for Pittsburgh because you are sending out 5.75M, and bringing in just a hair under 7M.

Nelson and Hunwick can be demoted and Larsson traded to 3rd team brings back only $5 million and change. :tongue:
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:24 pm

Anyone that suggests trading for Puljujarvi should be slapped. Hard. Maybe even with the hand having a ring on. Like a big school ring.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Hatrick on Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:04 pm

Jim wrote:Anyone that suggests trading for Puljujarvi should be slapped. Hard. Maybe even with the hand having a ring on. Like a big school ring.

i suggest we trade Johnson for Puljujarvi
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:13 am

Hatrick wrote:
Jim wrote:Anyone that suggests trading for Puljujarvi should be slapped. Hard. Maybe even with the hand having a ring on. Like a big school ring.

i suggest we trade Johnson for Puljujarvi

Anyone that suggests trading for Puljujarvi, short of something like Johnson for Puljujarvi straight up, should be slapped. Hard. Maybe even with the hand having a ring on. Like a big school ring.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:29 am

Does anyone have an estimate on the latest Petterssen can sign in order still get his Visa issue resolved and be ready for the start of camp?
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins