2019 LGP Summer Armchair GM Thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: 2019 LGP Summer Armchair GM Thread

Postby Ericf on Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:02 am

Petts should be given a chance on the second pair with Schultz...sorry but we already know what JJ does there and how he drags down Malkin, so it’s the height of incompetence from the coaching staff to trot that second pair out there again...Petts has very good numbers with Geno as does Schultz...they should put together the best top two pairs they can and play the third pair limited minutes unless X-Guds shows itself to be better than expected...imo X should be anyone other than JJ...I’ve said before that I would waive JJ and bank the $1.05 mil or so in cap space from that transaction because playing him is toxic
Ericf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Hatrick on Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:00 pm

Puck-Lurker wrote:I guess you could say I want to have the cake and eat it.

Trading him I think is a pipe dream to begin with, his contract is toxic.

RD: Letang, Schultz, Gudbranson
xRuhwedel, xTrotman

LD: Dumoulin, ???, Pettersson
xJohnson, xRiikola, xWarsofsky, xCzuczman

I don't think Pens will play two righties on a pair. If they did, Gudbranson-Schultz scares me - intensely. I'll use Riikola as the go-to JJ alternative in the examples below, I don't think it matters too much if you put any other name there.

Some ways to go about this.

1.) Riikola-Schultz, Pettersson-Gudbranson. Third pair is just fine here. The second I think is asking for trouble.
2.) Pettersson-Schultz, Riikola-Gudbranson. Neither the second, nor the third pair is all that bad. But both combined makes it just as questionable as example 1.
3.) Johnson-Schultz, Pettersson-Gudbranson. Third pair fine, second pair not so much. These are my opening night pairings.
4.) Pettersson-Schultz, Johnson-Gudbranson. Second pair somewhat dubious, third pair somewhat dubious. This is my expectation for the defensive pairs come mid-November.

Pettersson is not our saviour (yet). He doesn't get Johnson's contract money, because JJ doesn't deserve it and MP hasn't earned it.

People overstate how bad his contract is, it is bad but there are easily 15-20 worse ones out there, some of which have gotten traded. His contract is very bad but not untradable. At least earlier in the offseason I don't think it would have been. The more rosters get set the harder it is to make a move.

I would agree with you on number 3 being what they start with and possibly number 4 being what they end up with somewhere in the middle of season(of course injuries also come into play so harder to project). I would agree that playing Gudbranson on the left side is a non-starter. Left side for the bottom two spots is between the three people you named(Riikola, Pettersson, Gudbranson).

No matter how you pair them there is going to be some problems. whether it is one pair or both.
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sjnhiils on Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:19 pm

If Guerin were to get the Wild job, maybe offer him one of the Pens prospects he really liked, Bjugstad, Johnson and a 2nd round pick for Brodin.
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:44 pm

sjnhiils wrote:If Guerin were to get the Wild job, maybe offer him one of the Pens prospects he really liked, Bjugstad, Johnson and a 2nd round pick for Brodin.

Then you have nobody to play 3C.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sjnhiils on Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:00 pm

pens_CT wrote:
sjnhiils wrote:If Guerin were to get the Wild job, maybe offer him one of the Pens prospects he really liked, Bjugstad, Johnson and a 2nd round pick for Brodin.

I'd rather have Kahun or McCann as my 3c and a solid top 4 dman in Brodin than go into the season with Pettersson or Johnson in my top 4.
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby interstorm on Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:54 pm

sjnhiils wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

I have a feeling that this time next year, we're all going to be looking at McCann as one of the (almost) core players - at wing - on this team. I think putting him at 3c would be holding him back from reaching his highest potential.

I'd rather have Kahun or McCann as my 3c and a solid top 4 dman in Brodin than go into the season with Pettersson or Johnson in my top 4.
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Puck-Lurker on Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:22 am

interstorm wrote:
sjnhiils wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

I have a feeling that this time next year, we're all going to be looking at McCann as one of the (almost) core players - at wing - on this team. I think putting him at 3c would be holding him back from reaching his highest potential.

(fixed quotes)

You would need get a legit 2nd pairing LD in return -- and give up a player that makes JJ's salary worth it to someone. Having the cake and eat it. Involving almost any roster player to add in a JJ trade, would move the problem, not remove it.

I doubt anyone's interested enough in Simon or Aston-Reese and I think Hörnqvist's salary keeps him off the market.. That pretty much leaves Rust as our only available trade bait that doesn't knock over the apple cart.

We're stuck with JJ, if I'm being honest.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby stonewizard51 on Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:30 pm

Puck-Lurker wrote:
interstorm wrote:
sjnhiils wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

(fixed quotes)

You would need get a legit 2nd pairing LD in return -- and give up a player that makes JJ's salary worth it to someone. Having the cake and eat it. Involving almost any roster player to add in a JJ trade, would move the problem, not remove it.

I doubt anyone's interested enough in Simon or Aston-Reese and I think Hörnqvist's salary keeps him off the market.. That pretty much leaves Rust as our only available trade bait that doesn't knock over the apple cart.

We're stuck with JJ, if I'm being honest.

Sad but true :(
stonewizard51
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:12 pm

The way this team is currently constructed they are 1 and done again.

I'm fine with giving Petterssen a 1 yr deal and seeing if he can play top 4 with Schultz, if he cant then it saves us some money.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:13 am

A few interesting notes via Rob Rossi's article about Guerin very possibly leaving to become Wild GM:

--Near the end of his article, Rutherford mentions that Guerin's contract with the team has a provision that "mandates Guerin be allowed to interview for GM vacancies." Basically, the Penguins aren't allowed to refuse to let teams talk to Guerin for GM positions.

--Early in the article, when talking about Jason Karmanos, it mentioned his duties are contract negotiations, oversight of amateur scouting, and cap management. I'm not sure if Karmanos is doing all contract negotiations and cap management, or partial. Most recently, Pettersson's agent said they were dealing with Karmanos on MP's contract.

--Velucci and Scott Young seem to be most likely candidates to become AHL GM. Velucci held GM position for 13 years in the OHL, and was an assistant GM for Carolina Hurricanes for last 3-4 years. Young is in player development, and both Guerin and Tom Fitzgerald came from the player development role to assistant GM or AHL GM role.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby lemieuxReturns on Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:17 pm

I think what sucks right now is that we are not in a position to "help" the Maple Leafs figure out their cap situation. As it stands now they are 3 million over the cap and that is without Mitch Marner signed. Some team is going to benefit from the Leafs situation. Too bad its not us.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:21 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:I think what sucks right now is that we are not in a position to "help" the Maple Leafs figure out their cap situation. As it stands now they are 3 million over the cap and that is without Mitch Marner signed. Some team is going to benefit from the Leafs situation. Too bad its not us.

That cap number also includes the $10.5M that will go on LTIR for Horton and Clarkson.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pensfan4life8771 on Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:47 pm

Just a thought I wanted to ask the board.

What if we trade Gubradsson instead of JJ? Maybe we could flip him to the Flames who need a D man in a rough Western Conference. Maybe trade him for pick and some third/fourth line winger and use the other 3M to sign Peteresson and another UFA D man?
Pensfan4life8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:55 pm

Pensfan4life8771 wrote:Just a thought I wanted to ask the board.

What if we trade Gubradsson instead of JJ? Maybe we could flip him to the Flames who need a D man in a rough Western Conference. Maybe trade him for pick and some third/fourth line winger and use the other 3M to sign Peteresson and another UFA D man?

It would be "easier" to trade Gudbranson. However, I believe that Rutherford would be more reluctant to do that as Gudbranson brings additional "toughness" and that is something that the Pens (except Sullivan) have been trying to push for the last couple years. It is harder for Sullivan to scratch/6 minute banish a D.

However, anyone over $3M cap hit is, of some sort, on the block.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:18 pm

I still see Ottawa and Anaheim as possible destinations for Jack Johnson (even if those 2 teams disagree):

--Ottawa shows 7 defenseman, 3 of which still have waiver status. The bigger issue is, any injuries to those guys, and Ottawa is really scraping the barrel on defenseman. They may have some other young guys in their system, but they all have limited NHL experience. I know they are expected to be bad, but, they don't really have a lot of depth to cover injuries. They are only spending 12M on their defense as listed on CapFriendly.

--Anaheim has 6 defenseman. Very similar situation to Ottawa. They are only spending 18M on defense. After Lindholm, Fowler, and Manson, the 3 other defenseman listed on the roster all make under 1M. Besides Chris Wideman, they don't really have anything else in the minors on defense. They need more depth.

Anaheim has 8.5M in cap space. Ottawa has over 15M in cap space. Both of these guys should be able to take on Johnson, and may actually have a need for the guy.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Ohio_Pens_fan on Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:42 pm

FLPensFan wrote:I still see Ottawa and Anaheim as possible destinations for Jack Johnson (even if those 2 teams disagree):

--Ottawa shows 7 defenseman, 3 of which still have waiver status. The bigger issue is, any injuries to those guys, and Ottawa is really scraping the barrel on defenseman. They may have some other young guys in their system, but they all have limited NHL experience. I know they are expected to be bad, but, they don't really have a lot of depth to cover injuries. They are only spending 12M on their defense as listed on CapFriendly.

--Anaheim has 6 defenseman. Very similar situation to Ottawa. They are only spending 18M on defense. After Lindholm, Fowler, and Manson, the 3 other defenseman listed on the roster all make under 1M. Besides Chris Wideman, they don't really have anything else in the minors on defense. They need more depth.

Anaheim has 8.5M in cap space. Ottawa has over 15M in cap space. Both of these guys should be able to take on Johnson, and may actually have a need for the guy.

Remember that really pretty girl in high school who caught you looking at her and she smiled back at you? After reading this, I got that same feeling in my stomach of anticipation and hope. :)
Ohio_Pens_fan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:47 pm

Ohio_Pens_fan wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:I still see Ottawa and Anaheim as possible destinations for Jack Johnson (even if those 2 teams disagree):

Remember that really pretty girl in high school who caught you looking at her and she smiled back at you? After reading this, I got that same feeling in my stomach of anticipation and hope. :)

So, I guess GMJR is the ripped boyfriend who will beat your ass if he ever catches you looking at his girlfriend again?
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Ohio_Pens_fan on Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:53 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Ohio_Pens_fan wrote:

So, I guess GMJR is the ripped boyfriend who will beat your ass if he ever catches you looking at his girlfriend again?

LOL. Yeah, but I could run like hell and was a great crotch-kicker in my day.
Ohio_Pens_fan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Daniel on Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:05 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Ohio_Pens_fan wrote:

I just appreciate a team scraping the barrel for defensemen in a post about trading for Jack Johnson.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:13 pm

Daniel wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
Ohio_Pens_fan wrote:

I just appreciate a team scraping the barrel for defensemen in a post about trading for Jack Johnson.

Johnson would be the layer of film that accumulates at the top of the barrel over whatever liquid is in said barrel. Not that much better, but he at least has plenty of NHL experience.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Puck-Lurker on Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:00 am

To ANA: JJ
To PIT: Sprong

Make it happen Jim.

(Lol)
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:47 am

Roughly 3 weeks before NHL training camps open, and there are still a boatload of unsigned RFAs. In many cases, I am hearing teams haven't even STARTED talking to some of these players.

Marner, Laine, Connor, Tkachuk, Boeser, Rantanen, and Point up front.
Werenski, Provorov, McAvoy on the back end.

On lower levels, but still more than just standard RFAs for low end players, you also have Konecny, Kempe, White, Zacha, Beavillier, Fiala, DeAngelo, Pettersson, Carlo, and Goldobin.

20 players (31 in total), high-end or top 9 or 4/5/6 defensemen still without a contract.

A lot of word out there that nobody wants to make the first move, a lot of people waiting on Marner to set the market, etc. The cap situation for each of these teams:
--Toronto (Marner) - Has enough room to sign Marner to 8-10M by utilizing LTIR for Clarkson and Horton.

--Winnipeg (Laine & Connor) - They have the most cap space in the NHL @ 17.5M, but, that might not be enough. Assume both guys get sign to 8M AAV deals. That leaves them about 1.5M, and they only list 10 forwards (with Laine & Connor) on their roster. A trade may be needed to fill out a full roster.

--Calgary(Tkachuk) - They have 7.7M in cap space. Signing Tkachuk would give the 13F, but only 6D. Tkachuk is easily over 6M, probably 7-8M range, when you compare him to what Gaudreau and Monahan did to get new deals.

--Vancouver(Boeser & Goldobin) - Only 5M in cap space, and 24 players on their roster without Boeser and Goldobin. They are got killed by Luongo retirement, adding 3M retirement cap hit. They are going to have to make a trade to fit Boeser and Goldobin. Upfront, only Boeser and Pettersson have waiver exemption.

--Colorado(Rantanen) - Colorado is fine cap wise, with 15M. Rantanen probably in the 8-9M range. They are already at 23 man limit without Rantanen, and their only waiver exempt player is Cale Makar, who should be a staple on their defense. Waivers or trades may be needed.

--Tampa(Point) - Tampa has 9.3M left. Point is probably in the 7-9M range. They may need to send a few guys to the minors, because Point would only give them 11 forwards when signed, and they currently have 9 on defense.

Boston (McAvoy & Carlo) - Boston has 5.3M, a full 23 man roster, and 2 guys to sign. They need cap space.

Columbus(Werenski) - No issues here. Plenty of cap space to sign Werenski and fill out team. They just might not be very good.

Philly(Provorov & Konecny) - 13.4M. That should be enough to get Provorov and Konecny signed. Might be a little tight on cap space.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby lemieuxReturns on Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:55 am

The way Rutherford makes the Pettersson situation seem like its no big deal reminds me of his cavalier attitude a few seasons ago when he didn't have a 3C heading into camp. (https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/pen ... 1708160163)

That didn't go well.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:11 am

When signing a 3rd pair level D is your biggest issue... you can be cavalier about it.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:28 am

Jim wrote:When signing a 3rd pair level D is your biggest issue... you can be cavalier about it.

When said 23 year old defenseman is considered to be the 4th best defenseman on your team and a big part of your future defense plans, you probably don't want to be cavalier about it.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins