2019 LGP Summer Armchair GM Thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: 2019 LGP Summer Armchair GM Thread

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:31 pm

Jim wrote:
Daniel wrote:Because of the Pens cap space, they almost have to replace Schultz with an ELC player. Because of Johnson and Gudbranson there are no good options.

Trading for Risto does solve the 2nd pairing, I won't disagree, but at what expense? If they lose one of Murray or McCann, or can't sign them, is it still worth trading for him? Right now they can't even sign all of their players, something has to give. We have an NHL that is less inclined to take bad contracts to help GMs sign their players.

The issue isn't Risto at all, it's the fact that he's unnecessary and will create more cap problems next season. While he'd be an improvement over Johnson and Gudbranson, he's not replacing them.

You can't say that Rutherford is a senile old fool for bringing in Ristolainen, and that he needs to be fired for it... if he doesn't bring in Ristolainen. As a fan you gotta play the long game.

If all that I am getting is a meh-prospect and a bad D with term, then someone is taking my bad D with term too, not just 3 actual valuable pieces (Schultz, Rust and a 2nd). I mean, the meh prospect = the 2nd. So you are giving Schultz and Rust for their Johnson. :?: Schultz, Rust, Johnson and a 2nd for Ristolainen and a meh-prospect had potential. Without Johnson, nope.

Ristolainen is not Johnson. Not even close. He's just miscast as a #1 when really he's a #2 or #3 guy, and Buffalo has misused him. So, our bad for their "bad" doesn't really work.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jim on Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:41 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Jim wrote:
Daniel wrote:Because of the Pens cap space, they almost have to replace Schultz with an ELC player. Because of Johnson and Gudbranson there are no good options.

Trading for Risto does solve the 2nd pairing, I won't disagree, but at what expense? If they lose one of Murray or McCann, or can't sign them, is it still worth trading for him? Right now they can't even sign all of their players, something has to give. We have an NHL that is less inclined to take bad contracts to help GMs sign their players.

The issue isn't Risto at all, it's the fact that he's unnecessary and will create more cap problems next season. While he'd be an improvement over Johnson and Gudbranson, he's not replacing them.

You can't say that Rutherford is a senile old fool for bringing in Ristolainen, and that he needs to be fired for it... if he doesn't bring in Ristolainen. As a fan you gotta play the long game.

If all that I am getting is a meh-prospect and a bad D with term, then someone is taking my bad D with term too, not just 3 actual valuable pieces (Schultz, Rust and a 2nd). I mean, the meh prospect = the 2nd. So you are giving Schultz and Rust for their Johnson. :?: Schultz, Rust, Johnson and a 2nd for Ristolainen and a meh-prospect had potential. Without Johnson, nope.

Ristolainen is not Johnson. Not even close. He's just miscast as a #1 when really he's a #2 or #3 guy, and Buffalo has misused him. So, our bad for their "bad" doesn't really work.

Normally I do not post articles as i don't care what writers say... but I looked at this one just now because of this discussion, and one line in it make me actually laugh.

https://sports.yahoo.com/31-takes-its-time-for-the-sabres-to-trade-rasmus-ristolainen-141501607.html

"... he gets absolutely speedbagged in his own end ..." That's awesome.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:50 pm

Jim wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
Jim wrote:

Normally I do not post articles as i don't care what writers say... but I looked at this one just now because of this discussion, and one line in it make me actually laugh.

https://sports.yahoo.com/31-takes-its-time-for-the-sabres-to-trade-rasmus-ristolainen-141501607.html

"... he gets absolutely speedbagged in his own end ..." That's awesome.

Good....if they want to sell low and accept very little for him, even better. The Sabres have been bad defensively for years. It is apparent to many, but not the Sabres, that Ristolainen isn't a #1 defenseman, and yet, he continues to get more TOI per game average than a guy like Letang. If Buffalo is too stupid to limit down his minutes, let them sell low and a team like us reap the potential benefits.

I can't guarantee that he will be better Schultz, but I think he will.
I can guarantee that 5.4M AAV for this year, plus 2 more, is cheaper than the Penguins will be able to do with Schultz.
I can also take a chance on Ristolainen for this year plus 2 more....because it is still less total years than Jack Johnson is signed. If it doesn't work out, it's a big cap hit, but the term is easier to deal with if they want to move on.

Is it a risk, sure, but there are pluses and minuses to the deal. The pluses are age, cap hit for 3 years, and potential to be a great 2nd pairing guy on a team with better goaltending and scoring production than Buffalo. It's not hard to look at a bad team and find perceived bad players. The question is, can that player play well on a good team?

That article mentioned O'Reilly, and that's a good point....because at some point, players get tired of continuously losing. O'Reilly reached that point and wanted traded. It looks like Ristolainen is at that point too. I think Buffalo hoped, as a top 10 draft pick, that Ristolainen could be a player that turned the defense around. Unfortunately, that didn't happen, but I don't think he is devoid of talent at all. He's just being asked to do too much on a bad team.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:59 pm

BTW, Dave Molinari apparently talked to Rutherford today, and, the main takeaway I get from his article is that Pettersson will be signed before training camp next month, and, there is a strong likelihood that his contract won't be one that the Penguins or Pettersson would prefer.....

OR, another way to put it.....

GMJR can't find a taker for anyone he wants to move via trade, so, he'll be forced to send down guys like Trotman and Riikola, to open up enough space to sign Pettersson to a 1 year deal for 1M or less, rather than a longer-term deal for more AAV, which is what both sides prefer.

It's "I can trade for a 3C anytime I want" deja vu all over again.... :face:

https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2019/08/12/penguins-marcus-pettersson-contract-update-dwm/
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:25 pm

FLPensFan wrote:BTW, Dave Molinari apparently talked to Rutherford today, and, the main takeaway I get from his article is that Pettersson will be signed before training camp next month, and, there is a strong likelihood that his contract won't be one that the Penguins or Pettersson would prefer.....

GMJR can't find a taker for anyone he wants to move via trade, so, he'll be forced to send down guys like Trotman and Riikola, to open up enough space to sign Pettersson to a 1 year deal for 1M or less, rather than a longer-term deal for more AAV, which is what both sides prefer.

https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2019/08/12/penguins-marcus-pettersson-contract-update-dwm/

We cant sign our 4th defenseman but we have 3.5M for a 4th liner.......
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Ericf on Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:55 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:BTW, Dave Molinari apparently talked to Rutherford today, and, the main takeaway I get from his article is that Pettersson will be signed before training camp next month, and, there is a strong likelihood that his contract won't be one that the Penguins or Pettersson would prefer.....

We cant sign our 4th defenseman but we have 3.5M for a 4th liner.......

Yep, and because we overpaid our #5 and #6 D men...makes total sense...and JR still has a job...incredible
Ericf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Ericf on Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:58 pm

If his solution doesn’t involve waiving JJ for $1.05 mil in space, a guy at his salary who’ll never be picked up on waivers, versus waiving someone like Riikola at $800k, who likely will get picked up, he’s even stupider than I thought
Ericf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Jim on Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:25 pm

It sucks that no other team has cap issues but we are stuck with the sucko old man.

Oh, wait... over half of the league does.

Oh wait... a number of teams can sign their best, or one of their best, players due to their cap situation... while the Pens can't sign a guy that has had 20 good games.... after getting dumped by the Ducks.

Damn Rutherford!

Why couldn't we have kept Botterill, he was obviously the one that did the great things for the Pens while he was here. He's gone on to do such great things in Buffal... oh, wait...
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Wyopen on Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:22 am

What prospects will be on the WBS team this year. The Athletic ranks the Pens prospects at 28, but I’m looking forward to watching them. I don’t think they’re all that bad. I would put this in the affiliate section, but it is not all that active. Thanks.
Wyopen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:58 am

Wyopen wrote:What prospects will be on the WBS team this year. The Athletic ranks the Pens prospects at 28, but I’m looking forward to watching them. I don’t think they’re all that bad. I would put this in the affiliate section, but it is not all that active. Thanks.

The Penguins will have a lot of their top prospects in WBS this year. The problem is (and why they rank 28th) is that the Penguins top prospects would barely make a blip on the teams in the top 5. The Penguins have very few, if any, can't miss top 6 FWD/top 4 DEF.

Who is making the jump to WBS this year?

At forward, Jan Drozg, Justin Almeida, Kasper Bjorkqvist, Jordy Bellerive will all be participating in their first full season in the AHL.
The team will return Anthony Angello, Jacob Lucchini, Sam Lafferty, Sam Miletic, Joe Blandisi, Adam Johnson, Thomas DiPauli, and Ryan Haggerty (plus a few others)

Of the 1st year guys, I'm most anxious to see Kasper Bjorkqvist, and hoping he can make a jump to the NHL quickly.
Of the returning guys, Johnson, Angello, Lafferty, Johnson, and Miletic would probably be the first group of callups.

On defense, John Marino, Pierre-Olivier Joseph, and Niclas Almari will all be playing in their first full AHL season.
Lots of turnover here on defense. Trotman, Czuczman, and Riikola will likely be returning guys, and the Penguins brought back David Warsofsky.

Of the 1st year guys, my gut says Marino is closest to the NHL, and POJ & Almari are maybe 2 years away.
Trotman, Warskofsky, and Riikola will be the likely recalls during the season.

In goal, Dustin Tokarski (AHL only deal at the moment)will be the veteran starter, with Emil Larmi the new guy signed from Finland. They also have Alex D'Orio, who will likely start in Wheeling of ECHL. You then have Jarry as well at the moment, but, even if he sneaks through waivers, I don't know where the team would play him.

Now, back to one of my first statements....there are several guys I am excited about in the groups above, but, none of them are the Penguins top prospects. The consensus top 4 prospects for the Penguins are Calen Addison, Sam Poulin, Nathan Legare, and Filip Hallander.
---Addison is still 19, so he has to go back to Juniors for another year, his 4th Junior year, which is disappointing.
---Hallander is still over in Sweden and turned 19 this summer.
---Poulin and Legare are both 18 and still in juniors.

Next, if you look past top 4 guys I just listed, Corey Pronman listed the next 6 best prospects as:
---Bellerive
---POJ
---Almeida
---Lafferty
---Larmi
---Nikita Pavylchev (6'8" center who is playing senior year at Penn State).

Finally, here was Pronman's list of the top 23 and under players in the Penguins organization (NHL/AHL/owned rights):

Organizational Top 10 (23 and Under)
1 Jared McCann, C (23)
2 Calen Addison, D (19)
3 Nathan Legare, RW (18)
4 Marcus Pettersson, D (23)
5 Samuel Poulin, RW (18)
6 Filip Hallander, LW (19)
7 Jordy Bellerive, C (20)
8 Pierre-Olivier Joseph, D (20)
9 Justin Almeida, LW (20)
10 Emil Larmi, G (22)
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby sjnhiils on Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:04 pm

Chase Priskie, a Caps draft pick from Quinnipiac, is free to sign with anyone on Aug 15. He had 17g 22a in 36 games last year. I know they just signed Marino , but given their lack of depth in the system, maybe he is worth a shot. He's a right handed shot known for his offense but has shown the ability to be a shutdown defenseman as well.
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Puck-Lurker on Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:07 pm

Wyopen wrote:What prospects will be on the WBS team this year. The Athletic ranks the Pens prospects at 28, but I’m looking forward to watching them. I don’t think they’re all that bad. I would put this in the affiliate section, but it is not all that active. Thanks.

I wouldnt say 28th, but I'd not put the Pens much higher either.

Shelves are pretty bare. Addison, Joseph, Marino, Björkqvist, Bellerive, A.Johnson. Do we still call AJ a prospect? Anyway, these guys aren't world beaters yet for a year or two, if they will ever be.

Adam Johnson looks likely to get some coffee at the big club, if injuries come along. I expect nothing from the rest this year and next. UDFAs will be the play for the immediate future.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:22 pm

sjnhiils wrote:Chase Priskie, a Caps draft pick from Quinnipiac, is free to sign with anyone on Aug 15. He had 17g 22a in 36 games last year. I know they just signed Marino , but given their lack of depth in the system, maybe he is worth a shot. He's a right handed shot known for his offense but has shown the ability to be a shutdown defenseman as well.

I'd say yes, but that's probably just because he's from Pembroke Pines, FL....about 10 minutes south of me. :D
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Wyopen on Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:59 pm

FLPensFan wrote:

The Penguins will have a lot of their top prospects in WBS this year. The problem is (and why they rank 28th) is that the Penguins top prospects would barely make a blip on the teams in the top 5. The Penguins have very few, if any, can't miss top 6 FWD/top 4 DEF.

Who is making the jump to WBS this year?

At forward, Jan Drozg, Justin Almeida, Kasper Bjorkqvist, Jordy Bellerive will all be participating in their first full season in the AHL.
The team will return Anthony Angello, Jacob Lucchini, Sam Lafferty, Sam Miletic, Joe Blandisi, Adam Johnson, Thomas DiPauli, and Ryan Haggerty (plus a few others)

Of the 1st year guys, I'm most anxious to see Kasper Bjorkqvist, and hoping he can make a jump to the NHL quickly.
Of the returning guys, Johnson, Angello, Lafferty, Johnson, and Miletic would probably be the first group of callups.

On defense, John Marino, Pierre-Olivier Joseph, and Niclas Almari will all be playing in their first full AHL season.
Lots of turnover here on defense. Trotman, Czuczman, and Riikola will likely be returning guys, and the Penguins brought back David Warsofsky.

Of the 1st year guys, my gut says Marino is closest to the NHL, and POJ & Almari are maybe 2 years away.
Trotman, Warskofsky, and Riikola will be the likely recalls during the season.

In goal, Dustin Tokarski (AHL only deal at the moment)will be the veteran starter, with Emil Larmi the new guy signed from Finland. They also have Alex D'Orio, who will likely start in Wheeling of ECHL. You then have Jarry as well at the moment, but, even if he sneaks through waivers, I don't know where the team would play him.

Now, back to one of my first statements....there are several guys I am excited about in the groups above, but, none of them are the Penguins top prospects. The consensus top 4 prospects for the Penguins are Calen Addison, Sam Poulin, Nathan Legare, and Filip Hallander.
---Addison is still 19, so he has to go back to Juniors for another year, his 4th Junior year, which is disappointing.
---Hallander is still over in Sweden and turned 19 this summer.
---Poulin and Legare are both 18 and still in juniors.

Next, if you look past top 4 guys I just listed, Corey Pronman listed the next 6 best prospects as:
---Bellerive
---POJ
---Almeida
---Lafferty
---Larmi
---Nikita Pavylchev (6'8" center who is playing senior year at Penn State).

Finally, here was Pronman's list of the top 23 and under players in the Penguins organization (NHL/AHL/owned rights):

Organizational Top 10 (23 and Under)
1 Jared McCann, C (23)
2 Calen Addison, D (19)
3 Nathan Legare, RW (18)
4 Marcus Pettersson, D (23)
5 Samuel Poulin, RW (18)
6 Filip Hallander, LW (19)
7 Jordy Bellerive, C (20)
8 Pierre-Olivier Joseph, D (20)
9 Justin Almeida, LW (20)
10 Emil Larmi, G (22)

Thank you for the extensive review!
Wyopen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby sjnhiils on Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:04 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
sjnhiils wrote:Chase Priskie, a Caps draft pick from Quinnipiac, is free to sign with anyone on Aug 15. He had 17g 22a in 36 games last year. I know they just signed Marino , but given their lack of depth in the system, maybe he is worth a shot. He's a right handed shot known for his offense but has shown the ability to be a shutdown defenseman as well.

I'd say yes, but that's probably just because he's from Pembroke Pines, FL....about 10 minutes south of me. :D

I didn't agree with all of the NHL expansion but it has really grown the sport in non traditional markets and it is nice to see players being developed in all parts of the country. On a side note, I see Petrovic is still unsigned. Could he be someone that could replace Gudbranson at a much lower price if he could somehow be moved?
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Ericf on Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:49 pm

sjnhiils wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

I didn't agree with all of the NHL expansion but it has really grown the sport in non traditional markets and it is nice to see players being developed in all parts of the country. On a side note, I see Petrovic is still unsigned. Could he be someone that could replace Gudbranson at a much lower price if he could somehow be moved?

Yep, he could...he won’t be as good as Guds last year in his brief 20 game sample with the Pens, but then again, Guds likely won’t be as good as well...
Ericf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby NEPA on Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:34 pm

Risto is a great idea. He has a better pedigree than Schultz did coming Edmonton, plus he is physical. Also the way the Pens have been drafting they want sort of physical gritty game, Risto can add here.
NEPA

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:22 pm

Don't recall seeing it posted in any of the other threads, but sounds like Guerin may be the front runner for the Wild GM position. Mike Russo reports Guerin had a 2nd interview this week.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby KG on Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:38 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Don't recall seeing it posted in any of the other threads, but sounds like Guerin may be the front runner for the Wild GM position. Mike Russo reports Guerin had a 2nd interview this week.

Any chance of draft pick compensation if he gets the job?
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Daniel on Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:39 pm

KG wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Don't recall seeing it posted in any of the other threads, but sounds like Guerin may be the front runner for the Wild GM position. Mike Russo reports Guerin had a 2nd interview this week.

I don't think the Penguins have enough draft picks to give someone for taking Guerin. :lol:
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:42 pm

KG wrote:

Not sure I recall any asst GM getting draft compensation, so, I would say no.

But the first phone call Guerin should receive should be from GMJR.....so, I heard you really like Jack Johnson, Billy?
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Puck-Lurker on Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:04 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
KG wrote:

But the first phone call Guerin should receive should be from GMJR.....so, I heard you really like Jack Johnson, Billy?

Though it would remove a bad contract, it doesn't solve our D.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:22 pm

Puck-Lurker wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
KG wrote:

It would definitely be a good start.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Ericf on Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:23 pm

Puck-Lurker wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
KG wrote:

Well I dont know what you mean by “solve,” but it is addition by subtraction because JJ has such a horrific effect on other players and brings down the whole team on the ice. The D will be better without him and we’ll be able to sign Petts and have some cap space to make a move in season, so that’s a huge win. I don’t see it happening though because I don’t think we’ll have any takers for JJ with four years left on his contract. But it’s like hoping for a date with Kate Beckinsale....It’s nice to think about...
Ericf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Puck-Lurker on Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:26 am

Ericf wrote:
Puck-Lurker wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
KG wrote:

Well I dont know what you mean by “solve,” but it is addition by subtraction because JJ has such a horrific effect on other players and brings down the whole team on the ice. The D will be better without him and we’ll be able to sign Petts and have some cap space to make a move in season, so that’s a huge win. I don’t see it happening though because I don’t think we’ll have any takers for JJ with four years left on his contract. But it’s like hoping for a date with Kate Beckinsale....It’s nice to think about...

I guess you could say I want to have the cake and eat it.

Trading him I think is a pipe dream to begin with, his contract is toxic.

RD: Letang, Schultz, Gudbranson
xRuhwedel, xTrotman

LD: Dumoulin, ???, Pettersson
xJohnson, xRiikola, xWarsofsky, xCzuczman

I don't think Pens will play two righties on a pair. If they did, Gudbranson-Schultz scares me - intensely. I'll use Riikola as the go-to JJ alternative in the examples below, I don't think it matters too much if you put any other name there.

Some ways to go about this.

1.) Riikola-Schultz, Pettersson-Gudbranson. Third pair is just fine here. The second I think is asking for trouble.
2.) Pettersson-Schultz, Riikola-Gudbranson. Neither the second, nor the third pair is all that bad. But both combined makes it just as questionable as example 1.
3.) Johnson-Schultz, Pettersson-Gudbranson. Third pair fine, second pair not so much. These are my opening night pairings.
4.) Pettersson-Schultz, Johnson-Gudbranson. Second pair somewhat dubious, third pair somewhat dubious. This is my expectation for the defensive pairs come mid-November.

Pettersson is not our saviour (yet). He doesn't get Johnson's contract money, because JJ doesn't deserve it and MP hasn't earned it.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins