Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins 2017 Stanley Cup Champs Fan Gear and Collectibles

OK, let's blow it up

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: OK, let's blow it up

Postby stonewizard51 on Sun May 19, 2019 11:29 am

KG wrote:In his tenure as Pens GM JR has been much better at making trades then signing UFA’s. Granted he never had a lot of cap space to spend free agents on, but his trade record is much better.

Does he trade Phill for a high first round pick and use that money saved in free agency? Or does he trade player for player? Zucker, PK etc.

One thing JR should do is package JJ with Phill.

Phill and JJ to LA for 5th overall and Alec Martinez. Then trade Maatta for Athanasiou. Use Kessel money saved on a top 6 forward. If only it was that easy...

:D Indeed if only. Plus JJ has already is a been there done that with LA. They got rid of him for a reason. I can't think of a good reason why they'd want him back.
stonewizard51
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Sun May 19, 2019 12:56 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
Steve Dave wrote:
Jim wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:From Eklund FWIW

On Kessel...
Source: It's either Kessel or Malkin.
The Kings are all about Phil Kessel(e4) I have that from so many sources. Arizona and Tocchet is a strong possibility though...the two get along really well...

There is literally nobody on the Kings NHL roster that I would want in a Kessel trade. I admit that I don't know about King's prospects, but I've seen too many busts for to care about that.

What about:

LAK: Kessel
PIT: Kempe, Wagner, #22 Pick

Kempe and Wagner are young, fast and good on the forecheck, Pens get cap space to go after a free agent and then could package #21 and #22 picks (and possibly Maatta) for a higher pick and additional cap space.

I would insist on their #5 pick if they want Kessel. The Pens dont need to move him, and that deal with the Kings isnt a clear win for the Pens.

The Zucker trade above is interesting because you get a guy who scored 30+ goals and you also clear over 5M in space plus get a top 15 pick in this years deep draft.

If you built out a roster looking at the left side and center you'd have
Guentzel- Crosby
Zucker - Malkin
McCann - Bjugstad
ZAR - Bleuger

That is a good foundation and the Pens could clear even more space to revamp the right side if they move any combination of JJ, Rust and Hornqvist.

Zucker at $5.5 is painful. He topped 30 goals once, but other than that 22 is his highest. Not defensive, not physical. Perron had 28 goals, 57 points before coming to Pittsburgh, that worked well.

Zucker is fine if you have him, but he is not good return.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Sun May 19, 2019 1:36 pm

Jim wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
Steve Dave wrote:
Jim wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:From Eklund FWIW

On Kessel...
Source: It's either Kessel or Malkin.
The Kings are all about Phil Kessel(e4) I have that from so many sources. Arizona and Tocchet is a strong possibility though...the two get along really well...

There is literally nobody on the Kings NHL roster that I would want in a Kessel trade. I admit that I don't know about King's prospects, but I've seen too many busts for to care about that.

What about:

LAK: Kessel
PIT: Kempe, Wagner, #22 Pick

Kempe and Wagner are young, fast and good on the forecheck, Pens get cap space to go after a free agent and then could package #21 and #22 picks (and possibly Maatta) for a higher pick and additional cap space.

I would insist on their #5 pick if they want Kessel. The Pens dont need to move him, and that deal with the Kings isnt a clear win for the Pens.

The Zucker trade above is interesting because you get a guy who scored 30+ goals and you also clear over 5M in space plus get a top 15 pick in this years deep draft.

If you built out a roster looking at the left side and center you'd have
Guentzel- Crosby
Zucker - Malkin
McCann - Bjugstad
ZAR - Bleuger

That is a good foundation and the Pens could clear even more space to revamp the right side if they move any combination of JJ, Rust and Hornqvist.

Zucker at $5.5 is painful. He topped 30 goals once, but other than that 22 is his highest. Not defensive, not physical. Perron had 28 goals, 57 points before coming to Pittsburgh, that worked well.

Zucker is fine if you have him, but he is not good return.

I agree with you, which is why if the Pens move Kessel I think you have to move JJ with him.

Kessel and JJ for Zucker and the 12th overall is much more palatable. If Minnesota doesn't do that I would walk.

The thing with Kessel is hes one dimensional, but he does that extremely well. 90pt guys are hard to find, if a team doesn't meet the asking price keep Kessel and fix the defense.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Sun May 19, 2019 6:17 pm

Kessel to Arizona for Arizona's 1st round pick (15th overall), Chicago's 3rd round pick in 2019 (owned by Arizona) and LD Pierre-Olivier Joseph. There was a report the last few days that Tocchet was in the media clamoring for a "consistent 20 plus goal scorer" being added to the lineup.

Rutherford can then try to use both of his 1st, 15th and 21st overall, to move up further.....like say, to Detroit for #6 overall, with Maatta and Athanisiou as part of the deal as well.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby 1967penguins on Sun May 19, 2019 7:20 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Kessel to Arizona for Arizona's 1st round pick (15th overall), Chicago's 3rd round pick in 2019 (owned by Arizona) and LD Pierre-Olivier Joseph. There was a report the last few days that Tocchet was in the media clamoring for a "consistent 20 plus goal scorer" being added to the lineup.

Rutherford can then try to use both of his 1st, 15th and 21st overall, to move up further.....like say, to Detroit for #6 overall, with Maatta and Athanisiou as part of the deal as well.

When can we install you as GM? I love what you have proposed, and it seems fair to all involved. What are the realistic chances of trades like this being arranged?
1967penguins

Postby opie22002 on Sun May 19, 2019 9:35 pm

1967penguins wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Kessel to Arizona for Arizona's 1st round pick (15th overall), Chicago's 3rd round pick in 2019 (owned by Arizona) and LD Pierre-Olivier Joseph. There was a report the last few days that Tocchet was in the media clamoring for a "consistent 20 plus goal scorer" being added to the lineup.

When can we install you as GM? I love what you have proposed, and it seems fair to all involved. What are the realistic chances of trades like this being arranged?

The Coyotes would be nuts to give that up for Kessel at his age, with his contract, and declining production. Any trade that involves Kessel is mostly just going to be a chance for the Pens to shed salary.
opie22002
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Sun May 19, 2019 9:52 pm

opie22002 wrote:
1967penguins wrote:

The Coyotes would be nuts to give that up for Kessel at his age, with his contract, and declining production. Any trade that involves Kessel is mostly just going to be a chance for the Pens to shed salary.

You can drop the 3rd if you like, but a mid-first rounder and a B-level prospect isn't a stretch. Not sure why this is nuts. Not like we're getting a lottery pick and Clayton Keller here.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FLPensFan on Sun May 19, 2019 9:58 pm

Pensburgh had an article today on possible Maatta trade returns:

--Tyler Johnson - I wouldn't mind this one.
--Nazim Kadri - Meh, forces you to likely move Bjugstad to wing, and I'm not sold.
--Andrew Shaw - Good two-way play, but not known as good skater.
--Michael Frolik - 31 years old. Not really keen on giving up Maatta for him at this point, although age aside, he probably fits 2nd best after Johnson.
--Victor Rask - Good two-way play, but not known as good skater part deux.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jim on Mon May 20, 2019 6:57 am

opie22002 wrote:
1967penguins wrote:

Seriously? Did you actually just say that first sentence? ... much less the second...

"nuts to give that up for Kessel at his age..." - Kessel is currently 31 and has 3 years left on his contract, 34 when it ends. It's not like he is already in his mid 30's and is signed through 40 years old.

0-1

"nuts to give that up for Kessel ... with his contract" - $6.8M is less than the likes that William Nylander got, and will be a bargain compared to contracts that will be signed this summer.

0-2

"nuts to give that up for Kessel ... and declining production" - Kessel is comping off the best two years offensively of his career. And before you say yet another incorrect thing, that includes the 3rd and 4th highest 5v5 point production years of his career.

0-3

:pop:
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon May 20, 2019 7:28 am

FLPensFan wrote:Pensburgh had an article today on possible Maatta trade returns:

--Nazim Kadri - Meh, forces you to likely move Bjugstad to wing, and I'm not sold.
--Michael Frolik - 31 years old. Not really keen on giving up Maatta for him at this point, although age aside, he probably fits 2nd best after Johnson.

No mention of Athanasiou, I think behind Johnson he would be my preferred pick.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Mon May 20, 2019 7:34 am

FLPensFan wrote:Pensburgh had an article today on possible Maatta trade returns:

Johnson and Kadri are maybe's but the rest are hard nos. Victor Rask? Has the writer of that article ever actually watched hockey? Also, none of these deals help the Pens with their cap situation, so not only do three of these return a considerably "lesser" player, but other deals are still needed to clear cap. I'd much rather, MUCH rather get just a draft pick for Maatta than Frolik, Shaw or especially Rask.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby itissteeltime on Mon May 20, 2019 8:10 am

Tyler Johnson would be a hard yes from me.
itissteeltime
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Mon May 20, 2019 8:54 am

thehockeyguru wrote:

No mention of Athanasiou, I think behind Johnson he would be my preferred pick.

Mine too because he checks a lot of boxes for me:
--Young
--Speedy
--20-30 goal ability
--good defensively
--has some size to go along with that speed
--1 more season on the cheap

Problem is, I've seen no indication they want to move him. Now, I have recently seen an article talking about adding to Detroit's defense. Maatta wasn't in the list of targets, but, it does show what is painfully obvious.....Detroit needs to add some youth on the backend.

In order to get that, you deal from a position of strength.....they have a lot of good, young forwards. They had previous problems signing AA to an RFA deal. He didn't want a bridge deal. He could

This is TIOPS/Eklund level connecting the dots on my part. It also takes GMJR to be smart enough to try, but, I do think there is some possibility here.

My offseason shopping list has been condensed to:
---Get rid of JJ if you can, but try like hell to make it happen.
---If you trade Kessel, go for a 1st rounder and A/B level defensive prospect.
---If you trade Kessel, trade Maatta plus for a young forward who can play in the top 6.
---I'd also like to see them pick up a cheaper (2.5M or less) puck moving LD, to play beside either Schultz or Gudbranson.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Daniel on Mon May 20, 2019 11:54 am

opie22002 wrote:
1967penguins wrote:

Age - who cares, the Coyotes have a young team
Contract - who cares, Coyotes have plenty of cap space
Declining production - 92 and 82 points the last 2 season. I guess you can say he declined back to the highest point total of his career prior to 2017-18.

The Coyotes haven't been to the playoffs since 2011 and were 4 points away this past season. I think Kessel can easily give them that 4+ points.

The price might be high, but when was the last time the Coyotes had a legit chance to make the playoffs? I think a 1st/3rd/B level prospect is right in line with the other Kessel trades, while taking into considering his age.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Mon May 20, 2019 12:15 pm

Johnson: Would be a nice get
Kadri: You could see the Leafs moving on from especially with his playoff suspension again. Like FLP mentioned that would move big Nick to wing, which may or may not work.
Shaw: Makes them "harder to play against"
Frolik: Meh
Rask: I don't know much about

A wing would be nice like Athanasiou this way we keep Nick at center which is probably his best position....or we could always move him!
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Mon May 20, 2019 12:20 pm

KG wrote:

Johnson: Would be a nice get
Kadri: You could see the Leafs moving on from especially with his playoff suspension again. Like FLP mentioned that would move big Nick to wing, which may or may not work.
Shaw: Makes them "harder to play against"
Frolik: Meh
Rask: I don't know much about

A wing would be nice like Athanasiou this way we keep Nick at center which is probably his best position....or we could always move him!

CapFriendly says Athanisiou plays all 3 forward positions. I've known him mostly as a LW or C. He was originally a center, which would give the Penguins more options if they want to move Bjugstad to wing, or if injuries require AA or McCann to move over into a center role.

AA just checks so many boxes for me.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby sjnhiils on Mon May 20, 2019 2:08 pm

Would like to see Johnson come here too. TB is supposedly trying to shed salary though to bring in Erik Karlsson so they would probably have no interest in Maatta. Would most likely center around a prospect and a pick.
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Mon May 20, 2019 2:38 pm

sjnhiils wrote:Would like to see Johnson come here too. TB is supposedly trying to shed salary though to bring in Erik Karlsson so they would probably have no interest in Maatta. Would most likely center around a prospect and a pick.

So much to digest here....

1) I agree, Johnson would be a good fit on this team.
2) I'd like to see how Tampa expects to pay 3 defenseman over 21M.
-----> Hedman has 6 more years at 7.85M
-----> McDonagh has 7 more years at 6.75M
-----> Sergachev is in last year of his ELC, then will be getting a huge raise.
-----> If they sign Karlsson, they'd like be dressing 4 defensemen every night.
3) Tampa only has 5 defenseman signed next year.....Hedman, McDonagh, Sergachev....then Jan Rutta and Erik Cernak.
4) Come on, who doesn't want a Maatta-Rutta pairing????

Seriously though, Maatta for Johnson would cut at least 1M off their top end. Their biggest issue is they need to resign Brayden Point, for somewhere in the 5-6M range (especially after they gave Yanni Gourde 5.16M). I have heard rumors that Callahan may get moved to Detroit (I think).

Tampa is going to be in cap hell for awhile. They could move Callahan, and use that 5.8M to sign Point. That would only leave them about 8.5M to add 5 guys to get to a 22 man roster......and then......they have Vasilevskiy, Sergachev, Cirelli, Cernak, and Joseph all as RFAs in 20-21 season. Vasilevskiy and Sergachev are going to be bigger jumps, maybe Cirelli too. They have no big UFAs coming off the books in 20-21 (unless you count Callahan, who I already moved to sign Point)

Detroit has much to look forward to with Yzerman at the helm. He gets to overpay a bunch of young guys and be forced to move them in a few years, just like Tampa is having to do now.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby KG on Tue May 21, 2019 8:20 pm

I’m leaning more and more to adding a legit top pairing D man and having a legit stacked d for a change.

Trade: Maatta and Jarry to Detroit for Athanasiou

Trade: Kessel and Johnson and $1 mill retained to Nashville for PK

Sign: Hagelin 2 years $1.5 mill per

I think that would be enough moves and alters the makeup without blowing it up.

Sid, Jake, McCann
Geno, Athanasiou, Horny
Bjugstad, Simon, Rust
Blueger, Hagelin, ZAR

Dumo/Letang
PK/Schultz
Petterson/Gudbranson
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby cojac on Tue May 21, 2019 8:39 pm

KG wrote:I’m leaning more and more to adding a legit top pairing D man and having a legit stacked d for a change.

Trade: Maatta and Jarry to Detroit for Athanasiou

Trade: Kessel and Johnson and $1 mill retained to Nashville for PK

Sign: Hagelin 2 years $1.5 mill per

I think that would be enough moves and alters the makeup without blowing it up.

Sid, Jake, McCann
Geno, Athanasiou, Horny
Bjugstad, Simon, Rust
Blueger, Hagelin, ZAR

Dumo/Letang
PK/Schultz
Petterson/Gudbranson

Would need to move either Letang or Schultz. PK is a RD, Schultz is an UFA after next season so I’d move him for a forward.
cojac
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Tue May 21, 2019 9:34 pm

Very interesting development from Mike Russo who covers the Minnesota Wild for the Athletic.

Russo talks about how Coyle, Niederreiter, and Granlund were moved last season, and how Zucker was very close to going to Calgary for Frolik and a high pick last season.

Russo says GM Paul Fenton wants to be active on some big names in free agency, and that will most likely require Zucker getting dealt. The first possible return for Zucker he mentions is Kessel. He actually goes on to imply that maybe it is a bigger deal with a swap of bad contracts included.

Kessel and Jack Johnson for Zucker and Victor Rask

I would be all over this deal if it were offered, but, the problem I see here is that, for supposedly trying to clear up cap space, Minnesota would actually be taking on slightly more cap for a longer period of time with this deal.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Daniel on Tue May 21, 2019 10:08 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Very interesting development from Mike Russo who covers the Minnesota Wild for the Athletic.

Russo talks about how Coyle, Niederreiter, and Granlund were moved last season, and how Zucker was very close to going to Calgary for Frolik and a high pick last season.

Russo says GM Paul Fenton wants to be active on some big names in free agency, and that will most likely require Zucker getting dealt. The first possible return for Zucker he mentions is Kessel. He actually goes on to imply that maybe it is a bigger deal with a swap of bad contracts included.

I would be all over this deal if it were offered, but, the problem I see here is that, for supposedly trying to clear up cap space, Minnesota would actually be taking on slightly more cap for a longer period of time with this deal.

Honestly, I think that would be a waste of a trade for the Penguins. It would get them $500,000 in cap space for one players that is about $3 million overpaid (Rask) and a guy who topped 50 points once and is also overpaid. Frankly, I'd just as soon keep Johnson and trade Kessel for nothing but picks, including a 1st.
Last edited by Daniel on Wed May 22, 2019 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Tue May 21, 2019 10:16 pm

Daniel wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Very interesting development from Mike Russo who covers the Minnesota Wild for the Athletic.

Honestly, I think that would be a waste of a trade for the Penguins. It would get them $500,000 in cap space for one players that is about $3 million overpaid (Rask) and a guy who topped 50 points once and is also overpaid. Frankly, I'd just assume keep Johnson and trade Kessel for nothing but picks, including a 1st.

Zucker doesn't have the top end production that Kessel does, but he has speed, and is solid defensively. He's a more rounded player.
I'd much rather have Rask than Johnson, and saying he's overpaid by 3M is a bit absurd. There is no denying he had an awful year last year with injuries, and just didn't produce when he was healthy. But Rask had 4 straight seasons above 30 points (2 of which were over 40 points), and one season in there with 21 goals and 48 points. His numbers are pretty much in line with Bryan Rust does for Pittsburgh now at 3.75M. Rask is a little overpaid, maybe by 1M at most.

Not saying it is the best deal, or the top deal out there, but it isn't horrible at all.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby murphydump55 on Tue May 21, 2019 10:55 pm

Daniel wrote:

Honestly, I think that would be a waste of a trade for the Penguins. It would get them $500,000 in cap space for one players that is about $3 million overpaid (Rask) and a guy who topped 50 points once and is also overpaid. Frankly, I'd just assume keep Johnson and trade Kessel for nothing but picks, including a 1st.

You would just as soon keep Johnson. Not assume lol.

Getting rid of Johnson and his contract is not a waste of a trade. The same could be said for Gudbranson and Maatta.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby Jim on Wed May 22, 2019 8:08 am

Zucker himself isn't to far off from qualifying as that dab contract. Kessel for Zucker is a very bad deal for the Pens.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins