WBS Recent additions and Team Status for 2019-2020

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: WBS Recent additions and Team Status for 2019-2020

Postby Daniel on Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:28 am

FLPensFan wrote:According to Taylor Haase of DK Sports, Filip Hallander is remaining in Sweden next season. Since Timra was relegated to the lower league of the SHL, multiple teams were courting Hallander, and he has decided to play for Lulea in the top SHL league.

This is all based on a report that came out recently in a Swedish news outlet.

That's not a bad thing. WBS will already have seemingly the roster turned over. Let him come with only a handful of people when he's 20 rather than in a big group of prospects.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:45 am

Daniel wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:According to Taylor Haase of DK Sports, Filip Hallander is remaining in Sweden next season. Since Timra was relegated to the lower league of the SHL, multiple teams were courting Hallander, and he has decided to play for Lulea in the top SHL league.

That's not a bad thing. WBS will already have seemingly the roster turned over. Let him come with only a handful of people when he's 20 rather than in a big group of prospects.

Yep, I agree. Bellerive and Almeida will probably have big roles down the middle next year. Biggest concern with Hallander, if he didn't come, was having him play in the top SHL level since Timra got relagated. Lulea is top level, so he's good there.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Daniel on Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:53 am

FLPensFan wrote:
Daniel wrote:

Yep, I agree. Bellerive and Almeida will probably have big roles down the middle next year. Biggest concern with Hallander, if he didn't come, was having him play in the top SHL level since Timra got relagated. Lulea is top level, so he's good there.

I thought Bellerive was projected to be a winger? I imagine Olund and Almeida will be the top two centers eventually with Bellerive and Miletic as top wingers.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pekkasteele on Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:19 am

https://www.expressen.se/sport/hockey/s ... r-for-shl/

Here is a link if someone is interessted and want to google-translate it.
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:54 pm

While not yet publicly announced by the team, CapFriendly has stated Penguins resigned Thomas DiPauli to a 1-year contract extension. 2-way deal, 700K in NHL, 100K in AHL.

DiPauli was set to become a Group 6 UFA (player with 3 professional seasons, age 25 or older, and less than 80 NHL games played).
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pens4Life on Sun May 05, 2019 3:50 am

Jan Drozg had pretty solid World Championship Divison 1 in Kazahstan for SLOVENIA, 5 games - 5 goals + 2 assists
Overall played very good, proved again he is smart, skilled, fast player..
Last edited by Pens4Life on Fri May 10, 2019 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Fri May 10, 2019 11:40 am

In case it was missed yesterday, Penguins signed Niclas Almari to an ELC yesterday. The 20 year old will play in WBS next season.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FLPensFan on Wed May 15, 2019 2:41 pm

Penguins have signed Kasper Bjorkqvist to a 2 year ELC, according to the team. A good add for the system.

https://www.nhl.com/penguins/news/penguins-sign-kasper-bjorkqvist-entry-level-contract/c-307409920?partnerId=pit-twt-penguins
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Daniel on Wed May 15, 2019 2:52 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Penguins have signed Kasper Bjorkqvist to a 2 year ELC, according to the team. A good add for the system.

https://www.nhl.com/penguins/news/penguins-sign-kasper-bjorkqvist-entry-level-contract/c-307409920?partnerId=pit-twt-penguins

He's been someone we've been looking forward to. Have you read recent scouting reports as to who he compares to? Do you know if he's changed his mind about going back to Providence? I think I read he was going back for the 2019-20 season.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Wed May 15, 2019 3:00 pm

So, here's The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly on WBS and the Penguins Prospect pool:

The Good: The Penguins have a large majority of their top prospects playing in WBS next season. Miletic, Drozg, Johnson, Lucchini, Almeida, Bellerive, Lafferty, Angello, Bjorkqvist, Almari, Taylor, and D'Orio.

The Bad: Out of all these guys, there are no "sure things." None of the guys I just listed are A level prospects. I'd say Bellerive and Bjorkqvist are probably the best of that bunch, and even they are less than 50% chance to become top 6 guys.

The Ugly: The only guys left in the Penguins draft pool that we are waiting on to hit age/leave college, and be in WBS, are Calen Addison, Filip Hallander, Clayton Phillips, and Nikita Pavlychev.

It will be interesting to see how this WBS group performs. In the same aspect, there's no way to fit all of these guys on the big club. Guys like Johnson, DiPauli, Bjorkqvist are a bit older and should be closer the NHL level. Penguins are going to need some of the other guys to step up and be trade fodder.

Penguins prospect pool isn't just bare, it is pretty much non-existent beyond what we see in WBS this year. :shock: :( :shock:
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FLPensFan on Wed May 15, 2019 3:06 pm

Daniel wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Penguins have signed Kasper Bjorkqvist to a 2 year ELC, according to the team. A good add for the system.

He's been someone we've been looking forward to. Have you read recent scouting reports as to who he compares to? Do you know if he's changed his mind about going back to Providence? I think I read he was going back for the 2019-20 season.

I don't think you can sign an NHL Contract as a college-level player and return to school. Once you sign a deal for $$ you are considered ineligible at the NCAA level. The NCAA doesn't care about NHL contract slides or anything like that.

That is why we see these players like Jimmy Vesey, Mike Reilly, Aston-Reese, Adam Fox, etc types as college free agents. They get drafted, play their 4 years at college, decide maybe they don't like the state of the team that drafted them (or the NHL team is full at their position), so they refuse to sign. Original team either trades their rights or outright loses their rights, and said player essentially has a UFA bidding process for them.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Daniel on Wed May 15, 2019 5:29 pm

FLPensFan wrote:So, here's The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly on WBS and the Penguins Prospect pool:

The Good: The Penguins have a large majority of their top prospects playing in WBS next season. Miletic, Drozg, Johnson, Lucchini, Almeida, Bellerive, Lafferty, Angello, Bjorkqvist, Almari, Taylor, and D'Orio.

The Bad: Out of all these guys, there are no "sure things." None of the guys I just listed are A level prospects. I'd say Bellerive and Bjorkqvist are probably the best of that bunch, and even they are less than 50% chance to become top 6 guys.

The Ugly: The only guys left in the Penguins draft pool that we are waiting on to hit age/leave college, and be in WBS, are Calen Addison, Filip Hallander, Clayton Phillips, and Nikita Pavlychev.

It will be interesting to see how this WBS group performs. In the same aspect, there's no way to fit all of these guys on the big club. Guys like Johnson, DiPauli, Bjorkqvist are a bit older and should be closer the NHL level. Penguins are going to need some of the other guys to step up and be trade fodder.

Penguins prospect pool isn't just bare, it is pretty much non-existent beyond what we see in WBS this year. :shock: :( :shock:

I don't think that matters too much because of how the team is setup. Jake was never really a can't miss prospect. He was a good prospect, but nowhere near what we've seen. Someone will emerge from the group to force their way onto the top 2 lines. In all fairness though, if McCann plays on Geno's LW, there are only 2 slots available and they should go towards more defensive style players.

I think if we see dependable players rather than bottom line UFAs the team will be fine. They won 2 straight cups because reliable players came to the NHL from WBS and contributed in terms of added energy, if nothing else. I think the big reason WBS didn't have as much of an impact on the NHL squad is because we saw about half the team come up in the two years they won the cup. Now we're starting to see the cupboard stocked again.

As for a lack of A level prospects, in all reality though how may A level prospects have come up during the Sid and Geno era?

I was trying to counter the beyond WBS statement with "well the Pens have X draft picks" then double checked CapFriendly to see how many they have (honestly thought they had 8). They have 5. I almost think with the cap and draft situations, any trade should just get multiple 2019 draft picks and 20 year old prospects (Kessel to Colorado for their 1st and 3rd and Nicolas Meloche type of return).

At least 2 of those traded picks got McCann and Bjugstad.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:16 pm

Penguins reportedly non-tendered Zach Lauzon, meaning he is no longer Penguins property.

Also, 3rd round pick in 2017 defenseman Clayton Phllips intends to transfer and leave University of Minnesota.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ville5 on Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:24 pm

Lauzon is kind of a no-brainer to non- qualify. He might never play again with his concussion issues. It's just on of the unfortunate aspects of the game. I'm sure GMJR would try to resign him if his health clears enough to play again in the near future.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thehockeyguru on Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:39 pm

Is Emil Larmi slated for WBS? I dont know much about him.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ville5 on Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:46 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:Is Emil Larmi slated for WBS? I dont know much about him.

Just announced signing 25 minutes ago to 2 year entry level contract worth $700,000/year at NHL level. Very good numbers in Finland anyway.
22 years old.
https://www.nhl.com/penguins/news/pengu ... -307667168
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thehockeyguru on Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:50 pm

ville5 wrote:

Just announced signing 25 minutes ago to 2 year entry level contract worth $700,000/year at NHL level. Very good numbers in Finland anyway.
22 years old.

Seems like he should be able to step in at WBS especially if the Pens move Jarry in a bigger deal.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Daniel on Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:20 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
ville5 wrote:

22 years old.

Seems like he should be able to step in at WBS especially if the Pens move Jarry in a bigger deal.

The Pens will need to move either Jarry or DeSmith, or lose one of them on waivers. Right now, (not including Jarry) WBS only has Alex D'Orio and some nobodies on the roster so there is plenty of room for him to make it.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:06 pm

Daniel wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
ville5 wrote:

22 years old.

The Pens will need to move either Jarry or DeSmith, or lose one of them on waivers. Right now, (not including Jarry) WBS only has Alex D'Orio and some nobodies on the roster so there is plenty of room for him to make it.

I expect him to be in the goalie tandem at WBS with D'Orio.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Daniel on Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:21 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Daniel wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
ville5 wrote:

22 years old.

I expect him to be in the goalie tandem at WBS with D'Orio.

He looks like a battler with a good glove hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nZTKEFv-3A
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Wyopen on Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:23 am

Why was he never drafted?
Wyopen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:43 am

Wyopen wrote:Why was he never drafted?

Really hard to say. If I had to venture a guess, he is currently 22. If I look back 4 years ago when he would have been draft eligible, he was playing in lower levels of the Finnish leagues. Looks like he was more of a backup, and his numbers weren't very good. I would think teams would have wanted to see him getting more starts, and also possibly pushing for Liiga time.

The last 3 years, he has been playing in Liiga (Top league) and his numbers were actually much better.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/151877/emil-larmi
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Wyopen on Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:01 am

FLPensFan wrote:
Wyopen wrote:Why was he never drafted?

Really hard to say. If I had to venture a guess, he is currently 22. If I look back 4 years ago when he would have been draft eligible, he was playing in lower levels of the Finnish leagues. Looks like he was more of a backup, and his numbers weren't very good. I would think teams would have wanted to see him getting more starts, and also possibly pushing for Liiga time.

The last 3 years, he has been playing in Liiga (Top league) and his numbers were actually much better.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/151877/emil-larmi

Thanks, hopefully he’s the real deal.
Wyopen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins