WBS Recent additions and Team Status for 2019-2020

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

WBS Recent additions and Team Status for 2019-2020

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:44 am

WBS announced today that Jordy Bellerive and Calen Addison have been signed to ATOs (Amateur Tryout Offers) and will join the team.

Lethbridge was eliminated in Game 7 of their playoffs last night, in a somewhat controversial game venue. Apparently, the World Curling Championships are occurring in Lethbridge, so the hockey team had to move from its normal 5500 seat venue, to a 975 seat small venue across town to play its final two home games.

Yesterday, WBS signed forwards Jan Drozg and Brandon Hawkins to ATOs.

On April 3rd, WBS signed d-man John Lizotte (St. Cloud State) to an ATO.

On March 28th, WBS signed Penn State forward Chase Berger to a 2019-2020 AHL contract, and an ATO for the rest of the season.

On March 26th, WBS signed defenseman Michael Kim and forward Chris Brown, both from Boston College, to ATOs for the rest of the season.

On March 11th, WBS signed forward Jake Lucchini for the 2019-2020 season, and an ATO for the rest of the season.

On March 9th, the Penguins signed Justin Almeida to a 3 year ELC.

Penguins also invited Josh Wilkins to dev camp.

==================================================================================
What does all this mean heading into next season?

Bellerive, Almeida, and Drozg should all be major players for WBS next year. They are all 20 so won't go back to juniors.
Addison turns 19 next week, so he will most assuredly be going back to Juniors, unless he is super impressive and forces his way onto the NHL roster.
Lucchini and Berger also have AHL contracts for next year.
Hawkins, Lizotte, Kim and Brown all are without AHL deals for next season. They'll need to show something during these last 10 games or so to earn a contract.

You also have Kasper Bjorkqvist, who, by most rumors, is going to skip his senior and sign ELC
You have Nikita Pavylchev, who may or may not leave Penn State to go pro this summer.
You have Zach Lauzon who will likely be in WBS. Lauzon has had a ton of injuries. I think 90% of local media figured the Penguins would dump Lauzon, move on and not resign him. Mackey had a recent 20 thoughts column though, where Scott Young said Lauzon will be at dev camp and is still in their plans. THey haven't given up on him.
Goalie Alex D'Orio has or will be 20, and will leave juniors for WBS next season. D'Orio would likely become the #1 guy if Jarry is moved this summer.

It is doubtful, but, there has been some discussion on whether Filip Hallander will leave Sweden. His team, Timra, finished last in SHL, and is now playing to determine if they are going to be relegated to the 2nd level Swedish league. Lot of talk that if they get relegated, Penguins would like him to play somewhere else, rather than against lesser competition.

If everyone who could be in WBS next year goes to WBS, you could actually see something like this next year (just throwing some people on lines based on talent and expectations, not paying much attention to true center/wing, or which wing)

Drozg-Bellerive-Bjorkqvist
Johnson-Hallander-Angello
Miletic-Almeida-Lucchini
Blandisi-Lafferty-Haggerty

xOlund, DiPauli, Cramarossa, Berger

Taylor-Prow
Erkamps-Birks
Siebenthaler-Lauzon
xTrotman

D'Orio
Muse

Defense still needs some work, and, while a lot of these forwards like Bellerive, Drozg, Bjorkqvist, Hallander, Johnson are the Penguins top prospects, it's a stretch for most of them to be solid top 6 guys. Biggest thing here, though, is the Penguins seem to be ready to push out some of these veteran status players instead of having too many vets to be able to play them all.


And......of course......these guys may not be the WBS, as the arena lease STILL is not settled, and has a lot of people nervous.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,909
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:30 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: WBS Recent additions and Team Status for 2019-2020

Postby longtimefan on Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:53 am

FLPensFan wrote:WBS announced today that Jordy Bellerive and Calen Addison have been signed to ATOs (Amateur Tryout Offers) and will join the team.

Lethbridge was eliminated in Game 7 of their playoffs last night, in a somewhat controversial game venue. Apparently, the World Curling Championships are occurring in Lethbridge, so the hockey team had to move from its normal 5500 seat venue, to a 975 seat small venue across town to play its final two home games.

Yesterday, WBS signed forwards Jan Drozg and Brandon Hawkins to ATOs.

On April 3rd, WBS signed d-man John Lizotte (St. Cloud State) to an ATO.

On March 28th, WBS signed Penn State forward Chase Berger to a 2019-2020 AHL contract, and an ATO for the rest of the season.

On March 26th, WBS signed defenseman Michael Kim and forward Chris Brown, both from Boston College, to ATOs for the rest of the season.

On March 11th, WBS signed forward Jake Lucchini for the 2019-2020 season, and an ATO for the rest of the season.

On March 9th, the Penguins signed Justin Almeida to a 3 year ELC.

Penguins also invited Josh Wilkins to dev camp.

==================================================================================
What does all this mean heading into next season?

Bellerive, Almeida, and Drozg should all be major players for WBS next year. They are all 20 so won't go back to juniors.
Addison turns 19 next week, so he will most assuredly be going back to Juniors, unless he is super impressive and forces his way onto the NHL roster.
Lucchini and Berger also have AHL contracts for next year.
Hawkins, Lizotte, Kim and Brown all are without AHL deals for next season. They'll need to show something during these last 10 games or so to earn a contract.

You also have Kasper Bjorkqvist, who, by most rumors, is going to skip his senior and sign ELC
You have Nikita Pavylchev, who may or may not leave Penn State to go pro this summer.
You have Zach Lauzon who will likely be in WBS. Lauzon has had a ton of injuries. I think 90% of local media figured the Penguins would dump Lauzon, move on and not resign him. Mackey had a recent 20 thoughts column though, where Scott Young said Lauzon will be at dev camp and is still in their plans. THey haven't given up on him.
Goalie Alex D'Orio has or will be 20, and will leave juniors for WBS next season. D'Orio would likely become the #1 guy if Jarry is moved this summer.

It is doubtful, but, there has been some discussion on whether Filip Hallander will leave Sweden. His team, Timra, finished last in SHL, and is now playing to determine if they are going to be relegated to the 2nd level Swedish league. Lot of talk that if they get relegated, Penguins would like him to play somewhere else, rather than against lesser competition.

If everyone who could be in WBS next year goes to WBS, you could actually see something like this next year (just throwing some people on lines based on talent and expectations, not paying much attention to true center/wing, or which wing)

Drozg-Bellerive-Bjorkqvist
Johnson-Hallander-Angello
Miletic-Almeida-Lucchini
Blandisi-Lafferty-Haggerty

xOlund, DiPauli, Cramarossa, Berger

Taylor-Prow
Erkamps-Birks
Siebenthaler-Lauzon
xTrotman

D'Orio
Muse

Defense still needs some work, and, while a lot of these forwards like Bellerive, Drozg, Bjorkqvist, Hallander, Johnson are the Penguins top prospects, it's a stretch for most of them to be solid top 6 guys. Biggest thing here, though, is the Penguins seem to be ready to push out some of these veteran status players instead of having too many vets to be able to play them all.


And......of course......these guys may not be the WBS, as the arena lease STILL is not settled, and has a lot of people nervous.


I'm happy to see they haven't given up on the Lauzon kid. They really liked him at the draft. I did see a clarification somewhere on Hallander, where the level of competition in Sweden isn't a big concern because the Pens own his rights and he's on loan. If they are relegated to lesser competition, the Pens can simply loan him to another team at the higher level.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,956
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:33 pm

Re: WBS Recent additions and Team Status for 2019-2020

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:40 am

longtimefan wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:WBS announced today that Jordy Bellerive and Calen Addison have been signed to ATOs (Amateur Tryout Offers) and will join the team.

Lethbridge was eliminated in Game 7 of their playoffs last night, in a somewhat controversial game venue. Apparently, the World Curling Championships are occurring in Lethbridge, so the hockey team had to move from its normal 5500 seat venue, to a 975 seat small venue across town to play its final two home games.

Yesterday, WBS signed forwards Jan Drozg and Brandon Hawkins to ATOs.

On April 3rd, WBS signed d-man John Lizotte (St. Cloud State) to an ATO.

On March 28th, WBS signed Penn State forward Chase Berger to a 2019-2020 AHL contract, and an ATO for the rest of the season.

On March 26th, WBS signed defenseman Michael Kim and forward Chris Brown, both from Boston College, to ATOs for the rest of the season.

On March 11th, WBS signed forward Jake Lucchini for the 2019-2020 season, and an ATO for the rest of the season.

On March 9th, the Penguins signed Justin Almeida to a 3 year ELC.

Penguins also invited Josh Wilkins to dev camp.

==================================================================================
What does all this mean heading into next season?

Bellerive, Almeida, and Drozg should all be major players for WBS next year. They are all 20 so won't go back to juniors.
Addison turns 19 next week, so he will most assuredly be going back to Juniors, unless he is super impressive and forces his way onto the NHL roster.
Lucchini and Berger also have AHL contracts for next year.
Hawkins, Lizotte, Kim and Brown all are without AHL deals for next season. They'll need to show something during these last 10 games or so to earn a contract.

You also have Kasper Bjorkqvist, who, by most rumors, is going to skip his senior and sign ELC
You have Nikita Pavylchev, who may or may not leave Penn State to go pro this summer.
You have Zach Lauzon who will likely be in WBS. Lauzon has had a ton of injuries. I think 90% of local media figured the Penguins would dump Lauzon, move on and not resign him. Mackey had a recent 20 thoughts column though, where Scott Young said Lauzon will be at dev camp and is still in their plans. THey haven't given up on him.
Goalie Alex D'Orio has or will be 20, and will leave juniors for WBS next season. D'Orio would likely become the #1 guy if Jarry is moved this summer.

It is doubtful, but, there has been some discussion on whether Filip Hallander will leave Sweden. His team, Timra, finished last in SHL, and is now playing to determine if they are going to be relegated to the 2nd level Swedish league. Lot of talk that if they get relegated, Penguins would like him to play somewhere else, rather than against lesser competition.

If everyone who could be in WBS next year goes to WBS, you could actually see something like this next year (just throwing some people on lines based on talent and expectations, not paying much attention to true center/wing, or which wing)

Drozg-Bellerive-Bjorkqvist
Johnson-Hallander-Angello
Miletic-Almeida-Lucchini
Blandisi-Lafferty-Haggerty

xOlund, DiPauli, Cramarossa, Berger

Taylor-Prow
Erkamps-Birks
Siebenthaler-Lauzon
xTrotman

D'Orio
Muse

Defense still needs some work, and, while a lot of these forwards like Bellerive, Drozg, Bjorkqvist, Hallander, Johnson are the Penguins top prospects, it's a stretch for most of them to be solid top 6 guys. Biggest thing here, though, is the Penguins seem to be ready to push out some of these veteran status players instead of having too many vets to be able to play them all.


And......of course......these guys may not be the WBS, as the arena lease STILL is not settled, and has a lot of people nervous.


I'm happy to see they haven't given up on the Lauzon kid. They really liked him at the draft. I did see a clarification somewhere on Hallander, where the level of competition in Sweden isn't a big concern because the Pens own his rights and he's on loan. If they are relegated to lesser competition, the Pens can simply loan him to another team at the higher level.

Yeah, I think I do recall seeing the loan part as well. With as many bodies as they may have next year, waiting until he is 20 or late in the season next year to come over may better for him.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,909
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:30 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: WBS Recent additions and Team Status for 2019-2020

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:57 pm

WBS makes D'Orio ATO announcement official this afternoon. WBS is apparently up to 37 players right now.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,909
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:30 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: WBS Recent additions and Team Status for 2019-2020

Postby longtimefan on Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:34 am

Do you believe they'll re-sign Prow? I just think it's in his best interest to look elsewhere. I thought the Trotman recall was the death nail on their opinion of him moving forward.... I also wonder if they'll move on from DiPauli, another Group 6 UFA. He just can't stay healthy. As you mentioned, they've got a lot of bodies.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,956
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:33 pm

Re: WBS Recent additions and Team Status for 2019-2020

Postby longtimefan on Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:01 am

The guy who most intrigues me is Almeida. As a darkhorse longshot. He was only a 5th round pick. But he's offensively gifted. He's not a speed demon, and he'll always have to prove he's big enough. But he has the upside of possibly playing in the top six. I liked him the day they drafted him. I just liked the profile.... As an aside, the last time I "got a feeling" about a player drafted after the 1st round was Guentzel. Because the Pens didn't draft any players with offensive upside at the time, and this kid had that profile. A coaches kid. Just so tiny. I think he was listed at 159 lbs. But those guys grow a bit, the other traits are already there. So I followed Jake from day one. Emboldens me to make predictions! :)
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,956
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:33 pm

Re: WBS Recent additions and Team Status for 2019-2020

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:46 am

longtimefan wrote:Do you believe they'll re-sign Prow? I just think it's in his best interest to look elsewhere. I thought the Trotman recall was the death nail on their opinion of him moving forward.... I also wonder if they'll move on from DiPauli, another Group 6 UFA. He just can't stay healthy. As you mentioned, they've got a lot of bodies.

I don't think the Penguins will resign DiPauli. They really liked his speed, but, he was likely no higher than a 4th liner, and he cannot stay healthy. He only played 108 games in 3 seasons. Penguins almost certainly won't resign him. He'll likely be looking for a new organization next year.

I think the same thing with Prow. Even if he got a callup, the numbers are just strongly against him. Letang, Dumoulin, Schultz, Maatta, Johnson, Gudbranson, Pettersson, Riikola......with possible additions of Trotman and Ruhwedel.

I've heard wild swinging reviews of Prow. Kingerski said his skating is poor, while Jesse said his skating is very strong and his mobility is his best asset. I've heard from a few people that are WBS STH, who say Prow is not great.....says he noticeably shies away from contact and isn't physical. It almost sounds like, at least with Pittsburgh, his only shot would be to convert to forward. Prow should look elsewhere.

The signing of Addison was a bit shocking to me. It's not a huge deal, because his contract can slide, but, he's turning 19 in 3 days. That means, unless he wows management and forces his way onto the NHL roster, he'll be playing in Juniors again next year. I have heard from a few people that saw him at dev camp that they could definitely see an improvement from summer dev camp to his first game in WBS.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,909
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:30 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: WBS Recent additions and Team Status for 2019-2020

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:54 am

longtimefan wrote:The guy who most intrigues me is Almeida. As a darkhorse longshot. He was only a 5th round pick. But he's offensively gifted. He's not a speed demon, and he'll always have to prove he's big enough. But he has the upside of possibly playing in the top six. I liked him the day they drafted him. I just liked the profile.... As an aside, the last time I "got a feeling" about a player drafted after the 1st round was Guentzel. Because the Pens didn't draft any players with offensive upside at the time, and this kid had that profile. A coaches kid. Just so tiny. I think he was listed at 159 lbs. But those guys grow a bit, the other traits are already there. So I followed Jake from day one. Emboldens me to make predictions! :)

They really have no sure-thing top 6 prospects, but, they have 5 guys I think that have the ability to do it.......Hallander, Bellerive, Almeida, Bjorkqvist, and Drozg. Odds say at least one of those guys will break through and have the ability to play in the top 6. I'd put my money on Bellerive, Almeida, or Bjorkqvist from what I know to date.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,909
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:30 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: WBS Recent additions and Team Status for 2019-2020

Postby pens_CT on Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:33 am

FLPensFan wrote:
longtimefan wrote:The guy who most intrigues me is Almeida. As a darkhorse longshot. He was only a 5th round pick. But he's offensively gifted. He's not a speed demon, and he'll always have to prove he's big enough. But he has the upside of possibly playing in the top six. I liked him the day they drafted him. I just liked the profile.... As an aside, the last time I "got a feeling" about a player drafted after the 1st round was Guentzel. Because the Pens didn't draft any players with offensive upside at the time, and this kid had that profile. A coaches kid. Just so tiny. I think he was listed at 159 lbs. But those guys grow a bit, the other traits are already there. So I followed Jake from day one. Emboldens me to make predictions! :)

They really have no sure-thing top 6 prospects, but, they have 5 guys I think that have the ability to do it.......Hallander, Bellerive, Almeida, Bjorkqvist, and Drozg. Odds say at least one of those guys will break through and have the ability to play in the top 6. I'd put my money on Bellerive, Almeida, or Bjorkqvist from what I know to date.


FWIW I caught the tail end of the Providence Hockey team preview (for the frozen four) on Hockey Prospects radio show Saturday. Their comments on Bjorkqvist were pretty positive, especially his compete level, leadership, skating and hockey IQ. They made a comment that he was on Providence's PK in his first college game as a freshman. From the few games I have seen him play, I don't see him having a shot that will challenge goalies from distance, but he seems like another Hornqvist who will park himself by the goal and will do most of his damage withing 10 feet of the net.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,181
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:47 pm

Re: WBS Recent additions and Team Status for 2019-2020

Postby pens_CT on Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:45 am

FLPensFan wrote:
longtimefan wrote:Do you believe they'll re-sign Prow? I just think it's in his best interest to look elsewhere. I thought the Trotman recall was the death nail on their opinion of him moving forward.... I also wonder if they'll move on from DiPauli, another Group 6 UFA. He just can't stay healthy. As you mentioned, they've got a lot of bodies.

I don't think the Penguins will resign DiPauli. They really liked his speed, but, he was likely no higher than a 4th liner, and he cannot stay healthy. He only played 108 games in 3 seasons. Penguins almost certainly won't resign him. He'll likely be looking for a new organization next year.

I think the same thing with Prow. Even if he got a callup, the numbers are just strongly against him. Letang, Dumoulin, Schultz, Maatta, Johnson, Gudbranson, Pettersson, Riikola......with possible additions of Trotman and Ruhwedel.

I've heard wild swinging reviews of Prow. Kingerski said his skating is poor, while Jesse said his skating is very strong and his mobility is his best asset. I've heard from a few people that are WBS STH, who say Prow is not great.....says he noticeably shies away from contact and isn't physical. It almost sounds like, at least with Pittsburgh, his only shot would be to convert to forward. Prow should look elsewhere.

The signing of Addison was a bit shocking to me. It's not a huge deal, because his contract can slide, but, he's turning 19 in 3 days. That means, unless he wows management and forces his way onto the NHL roster, he'll be playing in Juniors again next year. I have heard from a few people that saw him at dev camp that they could definitely see an improvement from summer dev camp to his first game in WBS.


I'm not sure why signing Addison is a shocker. He's basically the same age as Hallander who is also already signed. Neither of these contracts count against the 50 until they play in the AHL, and with their shortage of defensemen in the system especially RHD, there isn't any risk of signing Addison now.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,181
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:47 pm

Re: WBS Recent additions and Team Status for 2019-2020

Postby longtimefan on Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:55 am

I do think Johnson has a decent shot at making the big club next fall. In his limited time, I was impressed with what he brings. He's going to get knocked around, but his speed is deadly. He played havoc on the forecheck by being there so quick. I wouldn't be shocked if he ended up in a playoff game if the situation calls for speed. I'm encouraged by how he seems to have developed.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,956
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:33 pm

Re: WBS Recent additions and Team Status for 2019-2020

Postby Jim on Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:58 am

I was surprised to see that he had only 5:18 per game over his 6 games. Not surprised that Sullivan has only given someone 5:18 per game, but that he was that low for what he has done.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,452
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: WBS Recent additions and Team Status for 2019-2020

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:15 am

longtimefan wrote:I do think Johnson has a decent shot at making the big club next fall. In his limited time, I was impressed with what he brings. He's going to get knocked around, but his speed is deadly. He played havoc on the forecheck by being there so quick. I wouldn't be shocked if he ended up in a playoff game if the situation calls for speed. I'm encouraged by how he seems to have developed.

I liked what I saw from Johnson. Right now, it's just a numbers game. Next season:

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
McCann-Malkin-ZAR
Simon-Bjugstad-Hornqvist
Johnson-Blueger-Wilson

Obviously, that would mean Kessel was traded. Looking at the cap scenario, I still see one of 81/72 being moved this summer.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,909
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:30 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: WBS Recent additions and Team Status for 2019-2020

Postby pens_CT on Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:48 am

FLPensFan wrote:
longtimefan wrote:I do think Johnson has a decent shot at making the big club next fall. In his limited time, I was impressed with what he brings. He's going to get knocked around, but his speed is deadly. He played havoc on the forecheck by being there so quick. I wouldn't be shocked if he ended up in a playoff game if the situation calls for speed. I'm encouraged by how he seems to have developed.

I liked what I saw from Johnson. Right now, it's just a numbers game. Next season:

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
McCann-Malkin-ZAR
Simon-Bjugstad-Hornqvist
Johnson-Blueger-Wilson

Obviously, that would mean Kessel was traded. Looking at the cap scenario, I still see one of 81/72 being moved this summer.


I'm not sure why Wilson should be penciled in the top twelve of this team for next season? I think the hope is Bjorkqvist makes the need for Hornqvist obsolete, but I doubt that it happens next season.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,181
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:47 pm

Re: WBS Recent additions and Team Status for 2019-2020

Postby longtimefan on Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:12 pm

Jim wrote:I was surprised to see that he had only 5:18 per game over his 6 games. Not surprised that Sullivan has only given someone 5:18 per game, but that he was that low for what he has done.


He was kind of an afterthought. Blandisi failed his audition miserably and he was given a shot. It's telling the impression he mad with so little ice time.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,956
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:33 pm

Re: WBS Recent additions and Team Status for 2019-2020

Postby Hatrick on Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:35 pm

Johnson would be one of the guys fighting for a spot coming into the year probably. Also im not convinced that they have to trade ANY forward, I think they probably move a defenseman, they could move both but they don't have to. A lot of it depends on how the playoffs go.

If they don't trade any forwards you have a several people fighting for 2 or 3 roster spots max(one starting spot and a 13th forward).
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 740
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:48 pm

Re: WBS Recent additions and Team Status for 2019-2020

Postby longtimefan on Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:57 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
longtimefan wrote:Do you believe they'll re-sign Prow? I just think it's in his best interest to look elsewhere. I thought the Trotman recall was the death nail on their opinion of him moving forward.... I also wonder if they'll move on from DiPauli, another Group 6 UFA. He just can't stay healthy. As you mentioned, they've got a lot of bodies.

I don't think the Penguins will resign DiPauli. They really liked his speed, but, he was likely no higher than a 4th liner, and he cannot stay healthy. He only played 108 games in 3 seasons. Penguins almost certainly won't resign him. He'll likely be looking for a new organization next year.

I think the same thing with Prow. Even if he got a callup, the numbers are just strongly against him. Letang, Dumoulin, Schultz, Maatta, Johnson, Gudbranson, Pettersson, Riikola......with possible additions of Trotman and Ruhwedel.

I've heard wild swinging reviews of Prow. Kingerski said his skating is poor, while Jesse said his skating is very strong and his mobility is his best asset. I've heard from a few people that are WBS STH, who say Prow is not great.....says he noticeably shies away from contact and isn't physical. It almost sounds like, at least with Pittsburgh, his only shot would be to convert to forward. Prow should look elsewhere.

The signing of Addison was a bit shocking to me. It's not a huge deal, because his contract can slide, but, he's turning 19 in 3 days. That means, unless he wows management and forces his way onto the NHL roster, he'll be playing in Juniors again next year. I have heard from a few people that saw him at dev camp that they could definitely see an improvement from summer dev camp to his first game in WBS.


The timing of the Addison signing is surprising. The assumption was he would finish his junior eligibility. He likely still will, but the Pens want to see him against some better competition. You don't want to get too excited about a 2nd round pick. Remember Sprong. But it's not out of the question for them to keep a 19 year old defenseman. Remember Maatta.

I understand you're thinking about moving out one of Hornqvist or Kessel. The cap may force their hand. I would expect it to be Phil first, but they could shift to the defense and move Schultz, who is a pending UFA. Part of it would be dependent on how much trust they put in Gudbranson. But Addison is a right shot. To be clear, I don't see this happening! Food for thought though. I was a little surprised at the signing.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,956
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:33 pm

Re: WBS Recent additions and Team Status for 2019-2020

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:09 pm

I may be wrong, but I believe the degree to which our line-up sees an overhaul is directly related to our success in the playoffs. If we get bounced ugly by the Isles in round 1, I think you see some bigger changes than if we go very far.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,326
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: WBS Recent additions and Team Status for 2019-2020

Postby longtimefan on Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:20 pm

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:I may be wrong, but I believe the degree to which our line-up sees an overhaul is directly related to our success in the playoffs. If we get bounced ugly by the Isles in round 1, I think you see some bigger changes than if we go very far.


You're not wrong at all. I've said for a long time that Kessel's return will be predicated on how he and the team do in the playoffs. A quick exit suggests a re-tool is needed. Another Cup? It wouldn't be easy to move a core piece.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,956
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:33 pm

Re: WBS Recent additions and Team Status for 2019-2020

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:38 am

longtimefan wrote:
RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:I may be wrong, but I believe the degree to which our line-up sees an overhaul is directly related to our success in the playoffs. If we get bounced ugly by the Isles in round 1, I think you see some bigger changes than if we go very far.


You're not wrong at all. I've said for a long time that Kessel's return will be predicated on how he and the team do in the playoffs. A quick exit suggests a re-tool is needed. Another Cup? It wouldn't be easy to move a core piece.

I do agree that playoff success will have an impact, but, at the end of the day....they don't have enough cap space to field a full team next year without moving out a significant piece of salary. On a minimalistic level, they need to move out a 3-4M salary and replace it with a 1M salary. That means Rust, Bjugstad, Hornqvist, Kessel, Maatta, Gudbranson, Johnson, and Schultz are the possibilities. And if the cap doesn't hit 83M as has been predicted, the cap situation will be more dire.

As they currently sit today, the Penguins have 17 players signed for next year, with a total cap hit of 79.083M.
UFAs are Cullen, Wilson, Trotman, Ruhwedel.
RFAs are ZAR, Blueger, Pettersson, Riikola, Johnson

I'd guess Blueger, Johnson, and Wilson all sign in the 750-850K range. (I think they like Wilson and he will be back; 750K is the league minimum). That get's you to 20 players, an added 2.25M, leaving roughly 1.66M in cap space.

I see ZAR in the 1M-1.5M range. Pettersson in the 1.5-2.5M range. Riikola maybe in the 850K-1.25M range, probably lower end.

And, if you want to look beyond next season.....Jared McCann has anything close to what he did this year as a Penguins, they are going to have to open up some cap space for him too.

Just saying, playoff outcome or not, a large salary needs moved.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,909
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:30 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: WBS Recent additions and Team Status for 2019-2020

Postby Daniel on Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:23 am

FLPensFan wrote:
longtimefan wrote:
RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:I may be wrong, but I believe the degree to which our line-up sees an overhaul is directly related to our success in the playoffs. If we get bounced ugly by the Isles in round 1, I think you see some bigger changes than if we go very far.


You're not wrong at all. I've said for a long time that Kessel's return will be predicated on how he and the team do in the playoffs. A quick exit suggests a re-tool is needed. Another Cup? It wouldn't be easy to move a core piece.

I do agree that playoff success will have an impact, but, at the end of the day....they don't have enough cap space to field a full team next year without moving out a significant piece of salary. On a minimalistic level, they need to move out a 3-4M salary and replace it with a 1M salary. That means Rust, Bjugstad, Hornqvist, Kessel, Maatta, Gudbranson, Johnson, and Schultz are the possibilities. And if the cap doesn't hit 83M as has been predicted, the cap situation will be more dire.

As they currently sit today, the Penguins have 17 players signed for next year, with a total cap hit of 79.083M.
UFAs are Cullen, Wilson, Trotman, Ruhwedel.
RFAs are ZAR, Blueger, Pettersson, Riikola, Johnson

I'd guess Blueger, Johnson, and Wilson all sign in the 750-850K range. (I think they like Wilson and he will be back; 750K is the league minimum). That get's you to 20 players, an added 2.25M, leaving roughly 1.66M in cap space.

I see ZAR in the 1M-1.5M range. Pettersson in the 1.5-2.5M range. Riikola maybe in the 850K-1.25M range, probably lower end.

And, if you want to look beyond next season.....Jared McCann has anything close to what he did this year as a Penguins, they are going to have to open up some cap space for him too.

Just saying, playoff outcome or not, a large salary needs moved.


I think no matter what, Rust and Maatta will be gone. I can see Kessel being traded, just not yet. Rust and Maatta would clear both a good amount of cap space and two roster spots.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,987
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:10 pm
Location: Dallas

Re: WBS Recent additions and Team Status for 2019-2020

Postby indian on Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:37 am

There is no chance either Kessel, Rust or Maatta will be traded. Each provides value way beyond their salaries. It will be Johnson, Hornqvist etc. who would be moved. We are overloaded with RW and LD at this point.
indian
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:06 pm

Re: WBS Recent additions and Team Status for 2019-2020

Postby Pens4Life on Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:31 am

FLPensFan wrote:
longtimefan wrote:I do think Johnson has a decent shot at making the big club next fall. In his limited time, I was impressed with what he brings. He's going to get knocked around, but his speed is deadly. He played havoc on the forecheck by being there so quick. I wouldn't be shocked if he ended up in a playoff game if the situation calls for speed. I'm encouraged by how he seems to have developed.

I liked what I saw from Johnson. Right now, it's just a numbers game. Next season:

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
McCann-Malkin-ZAR
Simon-Bjugstad-Hornqvist
Johnson-Blueger-Wilson

Obviously, that would mean Kessel was traded. Looking at the cap scenario, I still see one of 81/72 being moved this summer.


That F lineup would be poor in scoring,like really poor I think..
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,247
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:02 pm
Location: Slovenia

Re: WBS Recent additions and Team Status for 2019-2020

Postby Hatrick on Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:00 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
longtimefan wrote:
RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:I may be wrong, but I believe the degree to which our line-up sees an overhaul is directly related to our success in the playoffs. If we get bounced ugly by the Isles in round 1, I think you see some bigger changes than if we go very far.


You're not wrong at all. I've said for a long time that Kessel's return will be predicated on how he and the team do in the playoffs. A quick exit suggests a re-tool is needed. Another Cup? It wouldn't be easy to move a core piece.

I do agree that playoff success will have an impact, but, at the end of the day....they don't have enough cap space to field a full team next year without moving out a significant piece of salary. On a minimalistic level, they need to move out a 3-4M salary and replace it with a 1M salary. That means Rust, Bjugstad, Hornqvist, Kessel, Maatta, Gudbranson, Johnson, and Schultz are the possibilities. And if the cap doesn't hit 83M as has been predicted, the cap situation will be more dire.

As they currently sit today, the Penguins have 17 players signed for next year, with a total cap hit of 79.083M.
UFAs are Cullen, Wilson, Trotman, Ruhwedel.
RFAs are ZAR, Blueger, Pettersson, Riikola, Johnson

I'd guess Blueger, Johnson, and Wilson all sign in the 750-850K range. (I think they like Wilson and he will be back; 750K is the league minimum). That get's you to 20 players, an added 2.25M, leaving roughly 1.66M in cap space.

I see ZAR in the 1M-1.5M range. Pettersson in the 1.5-2.5M range. Riikola maybe in the 850K-1.25M range, probably lower end.

And, if you want to look beyond next season.....Jared McCann has anything close to what he did this year as a Penguins, they are going to have to open up some cap space for him too.

Just saying, playoff outcome or not, a large salary needs moved.

somebody will be gone since we know they would be over if they kept everybody and resigned their free agents(if ZAR and Rikkola avg 1mil, Pettersson gets 1.5-2 that would put them a couple mil over)

the playoffs help determine who actually gets traded. Right now based off salary, possible return, and position depth. I would say either Maatta or Schultz would be a candidate. Both make a decent amount, should bring a good return, and have excess defenseman(mainly on left side though). Depending on how the playoffs go though that could change and somebody else could get moved.
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 740
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:48 pm

Re: WBS Recent additions and Team Status for 2019-2020

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:19 am

According to Taylor Haase of DK Sports, Filip Hallander is remaining in Sweden next season. Since Timra was relegated to the lower league of the SHL, multiple teams were courting Hallander, and he has decided to play for Lulea in the top SHL league.

This is all based on a report that came out recently in a Swedish news outlet.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,909
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:30 pm
Location: South Florida

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 47 guests


e-mail