Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:34 pm

Ohio_Pens_fan wrote:
dark_forces wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Word is Justin Schultz is likely ahead of schedule to the initial February 10th mark that was set when he got injured. Penguins play tonight in SJ, and FRI/SAT in ARZ and VGK respectively. After this weekend is the by week and All-Star break.

I have a strong feeling that Schultz will be a full participant in practice by the end of the week, and a trade of a defenseman and maybe Brassard is going to go down next week.


Do you think they know who they want to trade or will they try Maatta, Riikola, and Oleksiak with Schultz 1st to see about chemistry?

I really think the only two viable trade options on defense are Maatta and Oleksiak. Riikola hasn't established himself enough yet to really have much value. If he was 20-22, with the games he has played, maybe. But he's 25. There is a difference. He still has a lot of room and potential to grow, but he won't pull down anything major in a return. Neither would Ruhwedel. Penguins have no plans to move Pettersson, and we know they aren't moving Johnson, Schultz, Dumoulin or Letang.

So you are back to Oleksiak and Maatta. Now it is down to what do the Penguins really need, and how big do they need to go. I think if they could only bring in one player, it has to be a 3C. Brassard isn't cutting it, they need an upgrade. There have been some rumors that the Penguins feel Sheahan could handle that role. He has looked good there in small streaks, but, to me, that is as big of a gamble as keeping Brassard. Go after a 3C, and if for some reason that acquired 3C fails like Brassard did, then turn to Sheahan.

I think ideally, the Penguins move Oleksiak and Brassard, maybe a pick and prospect, and in the end with some combination of those pieces going out they get a capable 3C. There is some thought of them needing a LW as well. I think they could use an upgrade on LW, but, I think you'd have to go big on LW to make that the primary target. Simon is doing an admirable job, so, I don't think just an average LW is going to do. Doesn't make sense to push a cheap Simon out of the lineup for a 2.5-4M LW who only puts up a few more points than Simon. I think you would need to get a bona-fide top 6 LW if that was the #1 target.

DK mentioned today that Simon isn't a bad player. He does a bunch of little things well, but, one of his main issues is that he still has an AHL player's shooter mentality. Simon doesn't have an overwhelming shot, and because of this, he kind of just shoots from anywhere. He'd rather get a low quality shot on net rather than trying to get into a better position for a better shot. I mean, that isn't the worst criticism, especially for this team that likes to make 27 passes before each shot.

I think some combination of Oleksiak, Brassard, picks and prospects may be going out, with a 3C as the return. That seems like the most likely scenario. If they wanted to make a bigger splash, then I would have to say Maatta, Brassard, picks, prospects, and lastly, Jarry, could be in play. Rutherford mentioned to DK this week about 3 goalie depth, which indicates to me that, unless Rutherford is getting a deal he thinks is just too good to pass up (or he can get another quality AHL level goalie in a cheap deal), he'll hang onto Jarry until the summer.


Terrific post! Well organized and sensible. I think we may see Brassard dealt for a pick, maybe a 2nd rounder (best guess), and then that pick or our own 2nd could be packaged with Oleksiak for a 3rd line center. I'd like to see a big centerman in the mold of Staal circa 2009, where offense isn't necessarily what's asked of him but he can convert when presented with an opportunity and he's good on face-offs, can PK and is just tough to play against. A playoff type player.

Choices could be Coyle (Minn.), Tierney (OTT), or possibly Danault (MTL). I'd like Coyle but it's unknown if he'd be available.

Coyle should be the most available of what you listed above, as I posted the other day. Coyle and Niederreiter have been in trade rumors for 2 years, including this one. Tierney, I'm not sure Ottawa will want to move, and they ain't taking Brassard back. Same with Danault, as, he's French-Canadian, and I've been told they wouldn't want to trade him away, with that being one of the reasons.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,482
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:30 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:40 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:If the Pens move Maatta, Brassard and picks I'd be willing to roll the dice with a 3rd line of Pearson, Sheahan and Kessel if you get a LW that is younger who can play top 6.

Ideally you bump Simon to the 4th line and use him to fill in if there are injuries.

There aren't many young LWs who I would be okay giving up Maatta and a 1st for. M. Tkachuk, Aho, DeBrincat, Drouin, Fiala, Connor, Ehlers, and Bertuzzi are the only 20-24 year old LWs out there that have at least 25 points on the season, which is what I would need to make that deal.

Matthew Tkachuk or Kyle Connor would look great here, but I don't think either of them have much chance of being moved.

I'd consider a Maatta and lower pick (2nd/3rd) for 25 year old Jonathan Huberdeau, but as much as the Panthers need defense, I doubt they make that deal either.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,482
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:30 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Postby pens_CT on Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:59 pm

Does anybody have the latest TIOPS story on Brassard?
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,072
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:47 pm

Re: Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Postby KG on Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:09 pm

RW at Hockeybuzz just posted a three team idea between Pens LA and Edmonton. Bunch of moving parts with the Pens get Carter and Muzzin.

Always fun to speculate but those 2 players would be welcomed additions.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,922
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:53 am
Location: NY

Re: Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:19 pm

pens_CT wrote:Does anybody have the latest TIOPS story on Brassard?

He says he questions if Rutherford going public with comments about Brassard are doing more harm to his trade market.
He says December was always considered their evaluation period, and they are now aggressively looking to move him, even if it is only for a pick and opening cap space for another deal.

Says there was talk of Brassard for Zack Kassian plus a high pick, but says Edmonton is on Brassards list of teams he won't go to. Says Brassard actually blocked a trade to Winnipeg last year, and that most Canadian teams are on Brassard's list, although he may waive for any of them at this point to move to a different team.

Says Brassard for Silfverberg as part of a bigger deal was discussed several weeks ago, but Murray wasn't ready to pull the trigger, and wants to try and resign Silfverberg.

Says Brassard as a UFA actually carries value for teams that have high priced 3Cs with term (ie, teams looking to dump salary). Mentions a possible Brassard for Riley Nash swap, as CBJ was reportedly after Brassard last year. He says hard to see rivals that could play each other making a deal, but claims Pittsburgh was actually talking to CBJ last year about an Ian Cole for Jack Johnson swap.

He mentions STL. Says STL was most likely love to dump Bozak and his 5M contract. They could take Brassard and gamble on making a playoff push (they have been climbing the standings the last few days), and if they fall short flip Brassard before the deadline. Says STL would have to add more for Penguins to risk taking on that much cap when Bozak is 33 and 34 years old. Bozak is also currently out with a concussion.

He finally mentions Nashville saying they were also in on Brassard last year, and while they like the little things Bonino does and he is good in the room, they would jump at the chance to move his 4M contract for 2 more years.

He ends by saying there are still concerns on Brassard by some evaluators, over his shoulder surgery with Ottawa. Says some believe his shot velocity is down, and there is also concerns about his skating ability after last year's injury with PIT, with some saying he lacks the ability to gain separation with his skating.

Says in the end, Pittsburgh could be forced to ride it out with Brassard if the market dries up, or, wait until word comes down on what guys like Kevin Hayes or Matt Duchene might do, as they are the two big ticket centers possibly available.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,482
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:30 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:27 pm

TSN Insider Trading with Duthie, Dreger, and LeBrun was just posted:

--Says Bob could be traded, saying that even as far back as last summer, he told CBJ he wasn't going to resign there, so feel free to ask other teams about possible deals, and that he would likely be willing to waive his no trade clause. Says Keikolainen (sic) didn't bother making any calls. (**Why pay for him now when you can get him for no assets this summer?)

--Next up was Brassard....they just said it appears very likely he will be traded. For whatever reason he just hasn't fit in Pittsburgh, but would be a #2 center on many other teams. Says Rutherford is listening to offers and would need AT LEAST a #3 center in return. (***Another 1 + 1 equals 10 type assumption. Not sure Brassard out and 3C in happens. Likely bigger deal or 2 deals, IMO)

--Leafs willing to move 1st round pick to get defensive help, top 4 defenseman.

--Says Anaheim wants to get younger, but wants to keep Silfverberg. Top priority to sign him, but if he is asking for too much, they'll have to move him.

--On Ferland, says situation is similar. Carolina wants to resign him, but if the ask is too high, he could be moved.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,482
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:30 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Postby Maestro on Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:31 pm

Hey "big game" Brass...

Spoiler:
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,006
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:05 pm

Re: Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Postby ville5 on Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:36 pm

I wouldn't expect a D trade soon. It'll take at least 3-4 weeks to see if Schultz has no complications andgets back to form. I figure they'll try to sneak Ruhwedel through waivers. Then possibly send Riikola down for a conditioning stint.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 7,300
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:17 pm
Location: getting body slammed by kelly kelly

Re: Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Postby longtimefan on Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:52 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:If the Pens move Maatta, Brassard and picks I'd be willing to roll the dice with a 3rd line of Pearson, Sheahan and Kessel if you get a LW that is younger who can play top 6.

Ideally you bump Simon to the 4th line and use him to fill in if there are injuries.

There aren't many young LWs who I would be okay giving up Maatta and a 1st for. M. Tkachuk, Aho, DeBrincat, Drouin, Fiala, Connor, Ehlers, and Bertuzzi are the only 20-24 year old LWs out there that have at least 25 points on the season, which is what I would need to make that deal.

Matthew Tkachuk or Kyle Connor would look great here, but I don't think either of them have much chance of being moved.

I'd consider a Maatta and lower pick (2nd/3rd) for 25 year old Jonathan Huberdeau, but as much as the Panthers need defense, I doubt they make that deal either.


I love Hurbedeau, but he's a 5.9M cap hit for the next four seasons. He would take some juggling now, and would likely force their hand in the offseason. It's somewhat mute, because I don't think they'd consider trading him for Maata. They value him highly. That's the trouble when you're trying to acquire a young, cost controlled player. Especially at the deadline.

I've seen Coyle's name a lot, but he's found a nice niche recently, centering Parise.

https://www.mitchellrepublic.com/sports ... man-middle

If somebody is a key cog elsewhere and has term, there's no real urgency to move them. Those types of trades happen more in the offseason. Unless you can find a perfect fit.

Getting back to the Panthers, there's one name I used to see a lot here, who's been forgotten. Nick Bjugstad. He's a natural center who Boughner moved to RW. He played in the top 6 and scored 19 goals and 49 points last season. He's missed some time with injuries, but has a 24 goal season on his resume, and has averaged about 18 goals for every 82 games played. He's 6'6" 218. He's 26 years old. He hasn't killed penalties, but would give the Pens a right handed center. He hasn't been great on faceoffs, but not bad either. He's been over 50% three times in five seasons. Although he's underachieved, and only has 4 goals in 27 games this season, Tallon still thinks highly of him. He does have a very imposing frame, and he's got pretty soft hands. He's also been connected to the Pens in the past.

He'd be a risk, but most players available will be UFA's or will carry risk. He just returned from injury. Obviously, he can play on the right side too. But the idea is for him to be the third center. His cap hit is $4.1M for the next two seasons.

They do value him in Fla, and having the GM in your corner might make them reluctant to move him. But they do need help on the blueline too. I'd like to get it done with Oleksiak and a pick. Or replace the pick with Brassard. Although not likely. I personally don't think that would get it done.

I love Olli Maata. I have since he first got here. I also believe they will be very reluctant to move him. They're very comfortable with him, and he's been really good this season. He's a young, experienced, cost controlled middle defenseman. He knows the Pens system as well as anyone, but his foot speed doesn't fit as well as they'd prefer. It would be a tough call for me. But it also could open up some other possibilities.

Would it make sense to trade Olli for Bjugstad and a pick. A 2nd or 3rd. The cap hits are less than 17K apart. So they saw off. You could deal Brassard in a separate deal for a pick. The two picks you receive would make it easier to make another deal, and you'd have the cap space saved by dealing Brassard.

Certainly there's risk, but it's imperative to make the $$$ work. I'm not sure I like it myself yet, but it's an interesting name I haven't heard brought up. He also just replaces Olli's cap hit moving forward. I do think there's some intriguing upside there.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,910
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:33 pm

Re: Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Postby Jim on Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:41 pm

KG wrote:RW at Hockeybuzz just posted a three team idea between Pens LA and Edmonton. Bunch of moving parts with the Pens get Carter and Muzzin.

Always fun to speculate but those 2 players would be welcomed additions.


Carter is too much cap hit for too little production from too old a player. Some people want to move Kessel because he is 31 and don't want to pay him through 34. Carter is 34 now and has 3 years left after this one.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,262
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Postby Pensfan4life8771 on Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:46 am

Anyone else see Pittsburgh Hockey Now is reporting Dallas is now interested in Brassard?

Do I hear a Faska for Brassard straight up?

https://pittsburghhockeynow.com/dallas- ... de-rumors/
Pensfan4life8771
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 397
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:52 am

longtimefan wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:If the Pens move Maatta, Brassard and picks I'd be willing to roll the dice with a 3rd line of Pearson, Sheahan and Kessel if you get a LW that is younger who can play top 6.

Ideally you bump Simon to the 4th line and use him to fill in if there are injuries.

There aren't many young LWs who I would be okay giving up Maatta and a 1st for. M. Tkachuk, Aho, DeBrincat, Drouin, Fiala, Connor, Ehlers, and Bertuzzi are the only 20-24 year old LWs out there that have at least 25 points on the season, which is what I would need to make that deal.

Matthew Tkachuk or Kyle Connor would look great here, but I don't think either of them have much chance of being moved.

I'd consider a Maatta and lower pick (2nd/3rd) for 25 year old Jonathan Huberdeau, but as much as the Panthers need defense, I doubt they make that deal either.


I love Hurbedeau, but he's a 5.9M cap hit for the next four seasons. He would take some juggling now, and would likely force their hand in the offseason. It's somewhat mute, because I don't think they'd consider trading him for Maata. They value him highly. That's the trouble when you're trying to acquire a young, cost controlled player. Especially at the deadline.

I've seen Coyle's name a lot, but he's found a nice niche recently, centering Parise.

https://www.mitchellrepublic.com/sports ... man-middle

If somebody is a key cog elsewhere and has term, there's no real urgency to move them. Those types of trades happen more in the offseason. Unless you can find a perfect fit.

Getting back to the Panthers, there's one name I used to see a lot here, who's been forgotten. Nick Bjugstad. He's a natural center who Boughner moved to RW. He played in the top 6 and scored 19 goals and 49 points last season. He's missed some time with injuries, but has a 24 goal season on his resume, and has averaged about 18 goals for every 82 games played. He's 6'6" 218. He's 26 years old. He hasn't killed penalties, but would give the Pens a right handed center. He hasn't been great on faceoffs, but not bad either. He's been over 50% three times in five seasons. Although he's underachieved, and only has 4 goals in 27 games this season, Tallon still thinks highly of him. He does have a very imposing frame, and he's got pretty soft hands. He's also been connected to the Pens in the past.

He'd be a risk, but most players available will be UFA's or will carry risk. He just returned from injury. Obviously, he can play on the right side too. But the idea is for him to be the third center. His cap hit is $4.1M for the next two seasons.

They do value him in Fla, and having the GM in your corner might make them reluctant to move him. But they do need help on the blueline too. I'd like to get it done with Oleksiak and a pick. Or replace the pick with Brassard. Although not likely. I personally don't think that would get it done.

I love Olli Maata. I have since he first got here. I also believe they will be very reluctant to move him. They're very comfortable with him, and he's been really good this season. He's a young, experienced, cost controlled middle defenseman. He knows the Pens system as well as anyone, but his foot speed doesn't fit as well as they'd prefer. It would be a tough call for me. But it also could open up some other possibilities.

Would it make sense to trade Olli for Bjugstad and a pick. A 2nd or 3rd. The cap hits are less than 17K apart. So they saw off. You could deal Brassard in a separate deal for a pick. The two picks you receive would make it easier to make another deal, and you'd have the cap space saved by dealing Brassard.

Certainly there's risk, but it's imperative to make the $$$ work. I'm not sure I like it myself yet, but it's an interesting name I haven't heard brought up. He also just replaces Olli's cap hit moving forward. I do think there's some intriguing upside there.

Tallon may end up being out of a job soon. Same with Boughner. Tallon's stubbornness to move pieces is going to be his downfall.

On Bjugstad....I'm indifferent on him. He has never really lived up to his potential. He's very up and down, and injured a lot. Was surprised to see he hit his career high in points last year, AND that he also played all 82 games. You'd be taking a real risk on whether you are getting the 40 plus point Bjugstad, but, when he is healthy, he can put up solid 3C numbers with the amount of TOI we are giving him.

The other issue would be....Maatta for Bjugstad is too much. Oleksiak for Bjugstad, while maybe fair, isn't going to be enough on Florida's end. They need a top 4 defenseman. They don't have much behind Yandle and Ekblad. Part of that is because Mike Matheson has crapped the bed badly this year, after playing like the stud d-man he could be and earning a big raise. If Matheson rights himself next year, they still need one more top 4 d-man.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,482
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:30 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:05 am

Jim wrote:
KG wrote:RW at Hockeybuzz just posted a three team idea between Pens LA and Edmonton. Bunch of moving parts with the Pens get Carter and Muzzin.

Always fun to speculate but those 2 players would be welcomed additions.


Carter is too much cap hit for too little production from too old a player. Some people want to move Kessel because he is 31 and don't want to pay him through 34. Carter is 34 now and has 3 years left after this one.

18:35......that's Carter's average time on ice this season. For most of his career, he averages between 17:50 - 19 minutes per game.
15:01......that's Brassard's average TOI this season as our 3C.

Anyone see the problem? Which, is kind of the exact problem we have right now with Brassard? Can't cut a guys ice time by almost 3 and a half minutes and expect him to produce at the same rate.

Find a 3C who puts up 35-45 point seasons with 15 minutes of ice time. They are out there.

Let's not do Brassard 2.0 by going after Carter. Of course, we got rid of Hunwick to bring in Jack Johnson....so sounds right up our alley.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,482
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:30 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:23 am

Pensfan4life8771 wrote:Anyone else see Pittsburgh Hockey Now is reporting Dallas is now interested in Brassard?

Do I hear a Faska for Brassard straight up?

https://pittsburghhockeynow.com/dallas- ... de-rumors/

I have a hard time seeing them trade Faksa, especially after just trading away Devin Shore.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,482
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:30 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Postby Pensfan4life8771 on Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:26 am

FLPensFan wrote:
Pensfan4life8771 wrote:Anyone else see Pittsburgh Hockey Now is reporting Dallas is now interested in Brassard?

Do I hear a Faska for Brassard straight up?

https://pittsburghhockeynow.com/dallas- ... de-rumors/

I have a hard time seeing them trade Faksa, especially after just trading away Devin Shore.



Maybe Andrew Cogliono? I know they just traded for him but maybe that was the plan to get him out of Anaheim than flip him to Pens?
Pensfan4life8771
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 397
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Postby longtimefan on Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:29 am

FLPensFan wrote:
Jim wrote:
KG wrote:RW at Hockeybuzz just posted a three team idea between Pens LA and Edmonton. Bunch of moving parts with the Pens get Carter and Muzzin.

Always fun to speculate but those 2 players would be welcomed additions.


Carter is too much cap hit for too little production from too old a player. Some people want to move Kessel because he is 31 and don't want to pay him through 34. Carter is 34 now and has 3 years left after this one.

18:35......that's Carter's average time on ice this season. For most of his career, he averages between 17:50 - 19 minutes per game.
15:01......that's Brassard's average TOI this season as our 3C.

Anyone see the problem? Which, is kind of the exact problem we have right now with Brassard? Can't cut a guys ice time by almost 3 and a half minutes and expect him to produce at the same rate.

Find a 3C who puts up 35-45 point seasons with 15 minutes of ice time. They are out there.

Let's not do Brassard 2.0 by going after Carter. Of course, we got rid of Hunwick to bring in Jack Johnson....so sounds right up our alley.


Carter's contract is toxic. He's a 5.27+ cap hit for his age 35, 36, and 37 seasons. The reason people say he's making noise about retireing is because he signed one of those old front loaded contracts, which carry recapture penalties if he retifes. He's scheduled to make $3M next season, and $2M the next two. He's had a lot of injury issues, and may choose to just walk away.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,910
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:33 pm

Re: Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Postby longtimefan on Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:44 am

Pensfan4life8771 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
Pensfan4life8771 wrote:Anyone else see Pittsburgh Hockey Now is reporting Dallas is now interested in Brassard?

Do I hear a Faska for Brassard straight up?

https://pittsburghhockeynow.com/dallas- ... de-rumors/

I have a hard time seeing them trade Faksa, especially after just trading away Devin Shore.



Maybe Andrew Cogliono? I know they just traded for him but maybe that was the plan to get him out of Anaheim than flip him to Pens?


I agree they likely won't move Faksa, especially for a UFA. Although that situation is really chaotic, so who knows. Not straight up certainly.

The problem with Cogliano is he's a $3.25 cap hit for two more seasons, and has 3 goals this season, coming off a 12 goal season. It's not impossible. Cogliano is fast, but he's more of an energy guy. I'm not sure that's what the Pens are looking for.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,910
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:33 pm

Re: Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Postby Pensfan4life8771 on Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:53 am

longtimefan wrote:
Pensfan4life8771 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
Pensfan4life8771 wrote:Anyone else see Pittsburgh Hockey Now is reporting Dallas is now interested in Brassard?

Do I hear a Faska for Brassard straight up?

https://pittsburghhockeynow.com/dallas- ... de-rumors/

I have a hard time seeing them trade Faksa, especially after just trading away Devin Shore.



Maybe Andrew Cogliono? I know they just traded for him but maybe that was the plan to get him out of Anaheim than flip him to Pens?


I agree they likely won't move Faksa, especially for a UFA. Although that situation is really chaotic, so who knows. Not straight up certainly.

The problem with Cogliano is he's a $3.25 cap hit for two more seasons, and has 3 goals this season, coming off a 12 goal season. It's not impossible. Cogliano is fast, but he's more of an energy guy. I'm not sure that's what the Pens are looking for.


I think the Pens just need to find a center that can complement Kessel and allow him to run his own 3rd line.

Ideally Pens two top goals should be to find a forward on the wing for Malkin and find a center that can roll with Kessel. Could always get Bozak since familiarity is already there, just expensive so it'll take more moving parts on both ends to work.

I think from Pens prospective guys you can def move are:
Jarry,Brassard,Simon or ZAR, Oleksiak, and Maatta.

What we need:
LW for Malkin, C for Kessel, maybe a vet D (depending what we lose).
Pensfan4life8771
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 397
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Postby longtimefan on Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:03 am

FLPensFan wrote:
longtimefan wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:If the Pens move Maatta, Brassard and picks I'd be willing to roll the dice with a 3rd line of Pearson, Sheahan and Kessel if you get a LW that is younger who can play top 6.

Ideally you bump Simon to the 4th line and use him to fill in if there are injuries.

There aren't many young LWs who I would be okay giving up Maatta and a 1st for. M. Tkachuk, Aho, DeBrincat, Drouin, Fiala, Connor, Ehlers, and Bertuzzi are the only 20-24 year old LWs out there that have at least 25 points on the season, which is what I would need to make that deal.

Matthew Tkachuk or Kyle Connor would look great here, but I don't think either of them have much chance of being moved.

I'd consider a Maatta and lower pick (2nd/3rd) for 25 year old Jonathan Huberdeau, but as much as the Panthers need defense, I doubt they make that deal either.


I love Hurbedeau, but he's a 5.9M cap hit for the next four seasons. He would take some juggling now, and would likely force their hand in the offseason. It's somewhat mute, because I don't think they'd consider trading him for Maata. They value him highly. That's the trouble when you're trying to acquire a young, cost controlled player. Especially at the deadline.

I've seen Coyle's name a lot, but he's found a nice niche recently, centering Parise.

https://www.mitchellrepublic.com/sports ... man-middle

If somebody is a key cog elsewhere and has term, there's no real urgency to move them. Those types of trades happen more in the offseason. Unless you can find a perfect fit.

Getting back to the Panthers, there's one name I used to see a lot here, who's been forgotten. Nick Bjugstad. He's a natural center who Boughner moved to RW. He played in the top 6 and scored 19 goals and 49 points last season. He's missed some time with injuries, but has a 24 goal season on his resume, and has averaged about 18 goals for every 82 games played. He's 6'6" 218. He's 26 years old. He hasn't killed penalties, but would give the Pens a right handed center. He hasn't been great on faceoffs, but not bad either. He's been over 50% three times in five seasons. Although he's underachieved, and only has 4 goals in 27 games this season, Tallon still thinks highly of him. He does have a very imposing frame, and he's got pretty soft hands. He's also been connected to the Pens in the past.

He'd be a risk, but most players available will be UFA's or will carry risk. He just returned from injury. Obviously, he can play on the right side too. But the idea is for him to be the third center. His cap hit is $4.1M for the next two seasons.

They do value him in Fla, and having the GM in your corner might make them reluctant to move him. But they do need help on the blueline too. I'd like to get it done with Oleksiak and a pick. Or replace the pick with Brassard. Although not likely. I personally don't think that would get it done.

I love Olli Maata. I have since he first got here. I also believe they will be very reluctant to move him. They're very comfortable with him, and he's been really good this season. He's a young, experienced, cost controlled middle defenseman. He knows the Pens system as well as anyone, but his foot speed doesn't fit as well as they'd prefer. It would be a tough call for me. But it also could open up some other possibilities.

Would it make sense to trade Olli for Bjugstad and a pick. A 2nd or 3rd. The cap hits are less than 17K apart. So they saw off. You could deal Brassard in a separate deal for a pick. The two picks you receive would make it easier to make another deal, and you'd have the cap space saved by dealing Brassard.

Certainly there's risk, but it's imperative to make the $$$ work. I'm not sure I like it myself yet, but it's an interesting name I haven't heard brought up. He also just replaces Olli's cap hit moving forward. I do think there's some intriguing upside there.

Tallon may end up being out of a job soon. Same with Boughner. Tallon's stubbornness to move pieces is going to be his downfall.

On Bjugstad....I'm indifferent on him. He has never really lived up to his potential. He's very up and down, and injured a lot. Was surprised to see he hit his career high in points last year, AND that he also played all 82 games. You'd be taking a real risk on whether you are getting the 40 plus point Bjugstad, but, when he is healthy, he can put up solid 3C numbers with the amount of TOI we are giving him.

The other issue would be....Maatta for Bjugstad is too much. Oleksiak for Bjugstad, while maybe fair, isn't going to be enough on Florida's end. They need a top 4 defenseman. They don't have much behind Yandle and Ekblad. Part of that is because Mike Matheson has crapped the bed badly this year, after playing like the stud d-man he could be and earning a big raise. If Matheson rights himself next year, they still need one more top 4 d-man.


I don't argue Maata is too much. Hence why I included the pick. Although, from what I've read, that's the type of value they place on him. A middle pairing defenseman. I do think he's more available than most of the names I've seen, and his cap hit isn't awful. Agreed, he's been injury prone and inconsistent. The comparison I've seen was Martin Hanzal, although his injury history hasn't been quite that bad. It's a concern, but he is a guy who has averaged 18 goals and about 41 points every 82 games played. He has been playing out of position, but playing in the top six likely helped his totals. He's got warts, but he may be a realistic target, only 26, and has a very intriguing skillset.

In terms of Tallon, I wouldn't be certain he's on his way out. If you recall, they won the division two years ago, and decided to bump him upstairs. Which was a huge mistake. They replaced him with Tom Rowe, then Rowe fired Gerard Gallant. The experiment only lasted the one season, and they brought Tallon back. He's highly respected, and brought in all the big time talent on the roster. He's also the architect of the Hawks Cup run. I suspect they won't move on so quickly. They screwed up when they relieved him of the GM duties two seasons ago.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,910
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:33 pm

Re: Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Postby pens_CT on Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:09 am

longtimefan wrote:
Pensfan4life8771 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
Pensfan4life8771 wrote:Anyone else see Pittsburgh Hockey Now is reporting Dallas is now interested in Brassard?

Do I hear a Faska for Brassard straight up?

https://pittsburghhockeynow.com/dallas- ... de-rumors/

I have a hard time seeing them trade Faksa, especially after just trading away Devin Shore.



Maybe Andrew Cogliono? I know they just traded for him but maybe that was the plan to get him out of Anaheim than flip him to Pens?


I agree they likely won't move Faksa, especially for a UFA. Although that situation is really chaotic, so who knows. Not straight up certainly.

The problem with Cogliano is he's a $3.25 cap hit for two more seasons, and has 3 goals this season, coming off a 12 goal season. It's not impossible. Cogliano is fast, but he's more of an energy guy. I'm not sure that's what the Pens are looking for.


The best you could get for Brassard is probably a draft pick, hopefully a 2nd rounder. Use that plus a player/prospect to get your LW or 3C. I wouldn't be shocked if we end up with Sheahan at the 3C, certainly not the optimum situation but I don't know if much better is going to be available on the trade market based on what Rutherford wants to move in a deal.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,072
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:47 pm

Re: Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Postby dark_forces on Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:26 pm

pens_CT wrote:
longtimefan wrote:
Pensfan4life8771 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
Pensfan4life8771 wrote:Anyone else see Pittsburgh Hockey Now is reporting Dallas is now interested in Brassard?

Do I hear a Faska for Brassard straight up?

https://pittsburghhockeynow.com/dallas- ... de-rumors/

I have a hard time seeing them trade Faksa, especially after just trading away Devin Shore.



Maybe Andrew Cogliono? I know they just traded for him but maybe that was the plan to get him out of Anaheim than flip him to Pens?


I agree they likely won't move Faksa, especially for a UFA. Although that situation is really chaotic, so who knows. Not straight up certainly.

The problem with Cogliano is he's a $3.25 cap hit for two more seasons, and has 3 goals this season, coming off a 12 goal season. It's not impossible. Cogliano is fast, but he's more of an energy guy. I'm not sure that's what the Pens are looking for.


The best you could get for Brassard is probably a draft pick, hopefully a 2nd rounder. Use that plus a player/prospect to get your LW or 3C. I wouldn't be shocked if we end up with Sheahan at the 3C, certainly not the optimum situation but I don't know if much better is going to be available on the trade market based on what Rutherford wants to move in a deal.


Instead of a 2nd rounder for Brassard, do you think a team would give up a prospect? I'm thinking our center depth is going to need replenished soon, even if it's a center prospect with limited upside who may only ever be a bottom six type player.
dark_forces
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:48 am

Re: Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:26 pm

Three Pittsburgh related items in Friedman's just posted 31 Thoughts:

4. The list is longer, but Boston, Edmonton, Pittsburgh and Vancouver are among those interested in Micheal Ferland.

5. Penguins’ GM Jim Rutherford sent his message through local reporters: he’s ready to start dealing. He’s looking for a better fit down the middle behind Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin. Derick Brassard’s going to get a new home. Remember, Winnipeg liked him last year, but he resisted. If the Jets want to try again, that won’t be a problem. Columbus also makes sense, possibly San Jose.

7. Murray’s reminding everyone of what we’ve forgotten: He does not rush. Apparently, the Ducks and Penguins discussed that Daniel Sprong/Marcus Pettersson trade well before it happened — it just took him time to decide. (There was more to this statement about how Murray is patient, but this was the only portion relating to PIT)
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,482
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:30 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Postby Defence21 on Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:39 pm

Pensfan4life8771 wrote:
longtimefan wrote:
Pensfan4life8771 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
Pensfan4life8771 wrote:Anyone else see Pittsburgh Hockey Now is reporting Dallas is now interested in Brassard?

Do I hear a Faska for Brassard straight up?

https://pittsburghhockeynow.com/dallas- ... de-rumors/

I have a hard time seeing them trade Faksa, especially after just trading away Devin Shore.



Maybe Andrew Cogliono? I know they just traded for him but maybe that was the plan to get him out of Anaheim than flip him to Pens?


I agree they likely won't move Faksa, especially for a UFA. Although that situation is really chaotic, so who knows. Not straight up certainly.

The problem with Cogliano is he's a $3.25 cap hit for two more seasons, and has 3 goals this season, coming off a 12 goal season. It's not impossible. Cogliano is fast, but he's more of an energy guy. I'm not sure that's what the Pens are looking for.


I think the Pens just need to find a center that can complement Kessel and allow him to run his own 3rd line.

Ideally Pens two top goals should be to find a forward on the wing for Malkin and find a center that can roll with Kessel. Could always get Bozak since familiarity is already there, just expensive so it'll take more moving parts on both ends to work.

I think from Pens prospective guys you can def move are:
Jarry,Brassard,Simon or ZAR, Oleksiak, and Maatta.

What we need:
LW for Malkin, C for Kessel, maybe a vet D (depending what we lose).

There's zero chance ZAR is going anywhere. The team is extremely high on him, and he's proving himself to be capable of playing up and down the lineup, while adding much-needed physicality. He's a part of this team's present and future.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,611
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:01 pm
Location: Johnstown, PA

Re: Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Postby Pensfan4life8771 on Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:38 pm

Derrick Brassard has informed the Pens management that he is willing to waive his NTC to be traded....something is a brewing.
Pensfan4life8771
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 397
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Postby Defence21 on Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:43 pm

Pensfan4life8771 wrote:Derrick Brassard has informed the Pens management that he is willing to waive his NTC to be traded....something is a brewing.

Where did you hear this? Last I heard is that Darren Dreger believes Brassard is as good as gone -- but no specifics on teams or conversations about waiving NTC.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,611
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:01 pm
Location: Johnstown, PA

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: IAmScore and 11 guests


cron
e-mail