Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Postby Humperdink on Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:29 pm

pens_CT wrote:
largegarlic wrote:
pens_CT wrote: Well two other organizations didn't have an issue moving this player. Again its not about dumping the guy for picks, but the organization has to have a conversation about how to move forward. What players are going to retire here, versus which ones need to be moved in order to acquire younger assets to keep this team in contention for the balance of 87 & 71s career in Pittsburgh.

Yeah, if you think the team is in need of a serious retooling and not just tinkering with role players, Kessel seems like the obvious option. You aren't going to trade Crosby, Malkin, or Letang, and then what other options are there for a trade that makes a serious statement and potentially nets a decent return? You don't have to hate Kessel or think he's useless to see the logic here.

Now, I'm still torn on whether a serious retooling is needed, and I'd probably give them the rest of the season to see how things shake out and re-assess in the summer, but I'd also listen if anyone comes in with a really good offer for Kessel today.

I don't expect them to make any major moves today. They might add some bottom end defensemen for depth. Any bigger moves will happen after the season is over.

You were spot on here.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:30 pm

Ericf wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
Pensfan4life8771 wrote:The called up Trotman so he is in tonight.

I get that, was curious why Trotman got the call up and not Prow?

Because he has had game in the NHL and Prow hasn't...that's how stupid this FO is

I've read that the management thinks Prow's skating is not NHL level yet. For what it's worth.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Ericf on Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:17 pm

Pitts wrote:
Ericf wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

Because he has had game in the NHL and Prow hasn't...that's how stupid this FO is

I've read that the management thinks Prow's skating is not NHL level yet. For what it's worth.

Yeah, I’ve heard that but I’ve watched some WBS games in which they both were playing and could see no appreciable difference...Prow has better puck moving and offensive skills and Trotman is more physical
Ericf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby ville5 on Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:02 pm

Pitts wrote:
Ericf wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

Skating not there yet? Uh, he's 26
ville5
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Ericf on Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:23 pm

Sounds like Sully said they’re playing Trotman because of his PK ability since they’re missing two big PKers in Dumo and Letang
Ericf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Hatrick on Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:37 pm

Ericf wrote:Sounds like Sully said they’re playing Trotman because of his PK ability since they’re missing two big PKers in Dumo and Letang

guess that is at least A reason. Although by that logic they could have used somebody on the PP to replace Letang.
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:49 am

I'm starting to see why the Pens were more interested in McCann instead of Bjugstad at 3C.

If that's the case, what is the outlook for Bjugstad? Is he a guy they look to move leading up to the draft?
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pens4Life on Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:00 am

trade McCann,he has no assists yet in 13 games,bad 3C.. :lol:
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:27 am

thehockeyguru wrote:I'm starting to see why the Pens were more interested in McCann instead of Bjugstad at 3C.

If that's the case, what is the outlook for Bjugstad? Is he a guy they look to move leading up to the draft?

So far from what I am seeing, I like McCann better on the wing.

Guentzel-Crosby
Malkin-?
McCann-Bjugstad

I'd love to keep those 3 pairs together for some time. Big thing is, I think you need to find a winger who works well with Malkin, and isn't a defensive liability (not Kessel). I will admit Kessel played a better 200 foot game last night, but there are too many games where he doesn't, and, added in with Geno's penalties and defensive lapses, 71-81 together often spells trouble.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Daniel on Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:07 am

FLPensFan wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:I'm starting to see why the Pens were more interested in McCann instead of Bjugstad at 3C.

Guentzel-Crosby
Malkin-?
McCann-Bjugstad

I'd love to keep those 3 pairs together for some time. Big thing is, I think you need to find a winger who works well with Malkin, and isn't a defensive liability (not Kessel). I will admit Kessel played a better 200 foot game last night, but there are too many games where he doesn't, and, added in with Geno's penalties and defensive lapses, 71-81 together often spells trouble.

I think ZAR and Malkin have the makings of a pretty good tandem. I'll admit too early to know 100%, but I think after 10-20 games we'll see pretty good chemistry.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:27 am

Daniel wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

Guentzel-Crosby
Malkin-?
McCann-Bjugstad

I think ZAR and Malkin have the makings of a pretty good tandem. I'll admit too early to know 100%, but I think after 10-20 games we'll see pretty good chemistry.

I agree with that. I like ZAR with Malkin.

Guentzel - Crosby - ??
ZAR - Malkin - ??
McCann - Bjugstad - ??

So where the question is where do Hornqvist, Kessel, and Rust all fit in?

If it's me I say Hornqvist, Rust, Kessel.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Daniel on Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:37 am

thehockeyguru wrote:
Daniel wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

Guentzel-Crosby
Malkin-?
McCann-Bjugstad

I agree with that. I like ZAR with Malkin.

Guentzel - Crosby - ??
ZAR - Malkin - ??
McCann - Bjugstad - ??

So where the question is where do Hornqvist, Kessel, and Rust all fit in?

If it's me I say Hornqvist, Rust, Kessel.

I'd rather McCann as center. Maybe Jake/Sid/Bjudgstad - ZAR/Malkin/Hornvist - LW/McCann/Kessel? Unsure of LW, Blueger maybe?
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:40 pm

ZAR and Hornqvist are too much a like to have them on the same line.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Daniel on Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:52 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:ZAR and Hornqvist are too much a like to have them on the same line.

Overall I'd agree, but I don't like Kessel with Malkin or Crosby and think he's best suited for 3rd line. If you'd prefer Bjudstad with Malkin, that's cool (he seems more suited for RW and McCann seems more suited for C). I just liked the idea of having two relentless forecheckers with Malkin to kind of have a beast line.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:10 pm

ville5 wrote:
Pitts wrote:
Ericf wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

Skating not there yet? Uh, he's 26

I mentioned the skating thing, which came from Kingerski. Jesse pretty much shot that down quickly, by giving his own opinion when I asked him, saying skating is like, his best asset. Said Prow is able to use his skating ability to recover from mistakes he has made.

Kingerski is in a dog fight with TIOPS for worst Pittsburgh media, and I think he might be behind.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pens4Life on Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:49 pm

I like scoring touch from McCann, soo I would prefer him on the wing.. Bjugstad at 3C,but Pens and Sully are of course with them daily and should know best hehe.. Rusty is probably out longer time,if he is on crutches,could be a month. Blueger should slide right back in.

Guentzel - Crosby - Hornquist
ZAR - Malkin - Bjugstad
Blueger - McCann - Kessel
Wilson - Cullen - Simon

Johnson - Schultz
Petterson - Gudbranson
Riikola - Trotman

lets go boys
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:00 pm

I'm disappointed Prow didn't get a shot. Then again I've been clamoring for Bleuger all year and when he showed hes an everyday nhl player they sent him down.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Hatrick on Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:27 pm

Pens4Life wrote:I like scoring touch from McCann, soo I would prefer him on the wing.. Bjugstad at 3C,but Pens and Sully are of course with them daily and should know best hehe.. Rusty is probably out longer time,if he is on crutches,could be a month. Blueger should slide right back in.

ZAR - Malkin - Bjugstad
Blueger - McCann - Kessel
Wilson - Cullen - Simon

Johnson - Schultz
Petterson - Gudbranson
Riikola - Trotman

lets go boys

having a RW out is probably the reason for shifting Bjugstad to wing and McCann to center. Ideally when everybody is healthy Bjugstad would be the 3c and McCann would be his LW. But with Rust out if they wanted Bjugstad as the 3c then Simon would end up being higher in the lineup.
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:30 am

What are everyone's thoughts on how the Pens D has looked without Dumoulin and Letang?

Looking at the style of play it reminds me a lot of how they played when the lost Letang a couple of seasons ago. They dont seem to activate quite as much in the offensive zone and have played well in front of Murray boxing out and winning puck battles.

Schultz IMO makes the PP look better than with Letang in the lineup.

I really think this team defensively is better without Letang. If they can sub in Dumoulin for Trotman I really like how the d pairings would shake out.

Come this offseason if the Pens decided they wanted to trade Letang, Kessel and Maatta I think they could reshape this team for the better and make it a real juggernaut for the last few years of the Crosby Malkin era.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_CT on Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:40 am

thehockeyguru wrote:What are everyone's thoughts on how the Pens D has looked without Dumoulin and Letang?

Looking at the style of play it reminds me a lot of how they played when the lost Letang a couple of seasons ago. They dont seem to activate quite as much in the offensive zone and have played well in front of Murray boxing out and winning puck battles.

I really think this team defensively is better without Letang. If they can sub in Dumoulin for Trotman I really like how the d pairings would shake out.

Come this offseason if the Pens decided they wanted to trade Letang, Kessel and Maatta I think they could reshape this team for the better and make it a real juggernaut for the last few years of the Crosby Malkin era.

I think its more the style of the team's overall level of play versus who is or isn't on the blue line. Plus its far too small a sample size to consider how this team functions with or without Letang. I will say regardless of how this season ends up, we have far too much money allocated to the blue line. There will have to be moves made and that's not a prediction but a fact.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Cow_Master66 on Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:40 am

thehockeyguru wrote:What are everyone's thoughts on how the Pens D has looked without Dumoulin and Letang?

They aren’t trading Letang.
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby 100565 on Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:50 am

McCann - Malkin -ZAR
Blueger -Bjugstad- Kessel
Wilson - Cullen - Simon

I would like to see McCann with Geno. Also, Bjugstad and Kessel seemed to have some chemistry. If/when Rust returns, he would be 3LW or 2RW (moving ZAR to 3LW)
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Malkintent on Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:45 pm

It's been 2 games. What is the fascination with trading Letang? He's been by far the Pen's best dman this year and team MVP after Crosby and people still want to trade him. Yes, he's expensive but trading one of two dmen who have actually played well this year makes no sense.
Malkintent
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: Please help my dog https://www.gofundme.com/sumdm7d8

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:33 am

Malkintent wrote:

It's been 2 games. What is the fascination with trading Letang? He's been by far the Pen's best dman this year and team MVP after Crosby and people still want to trade him. Yes, he's expensive but trading one of two dmen who have actually played well this year makes no sense.

2 games? I've been begging them to trade Letang since they won the cup without him.

Team MVP, I dont buy that. The team is on the outside of the playoffs looking in and looks better with him out of the lineup.

Less is more with Letang, he shouldn't be getting top PP or PK time. They won a cup without him and regressed defensively after his return. I'll eat crow if they win but I cant see the Pens winning another cup with Letang playing 24-25 min a night.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:19 pm

100565 wrote:Guentzel - Crosby - Hornquist
McCann - Malkin -ZAR
Blueger -Bjugstad- Kessel
Wilson - Cullen - Simon

I would like to see McCann with Geno. Also, Bjugstad and Kessel seemed to have some chemistry. If/when Rust returns, he would be 3LW or 2RW (moving ZAR to 3LW)

If you want to move ZAR off of Geno's wing, you haven't been watching any of the games since he joined him. ZAR is absolutely perfect for that line and Geno seems inspired by him. Get Kessel off that line, he does nothing but drag it down.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins