Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Postby pens_CT on Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:25 am

Cow_Master66 wrote:
pens_CT wrote:
Cow_Master66 wrote:
pens_CT wrote:
scpensfan wrote:If the idea is to deal Kessel for stuff and then use that stuff to help make the team better moving forward, I'm all for it.

If the idea is to deal Kessel as some kind of desperate play to kickstart this year's team? Hard pass.

Based on how poorly Kessel has played the last 15 games or so, would we even miss him? Again with Phil any trade would have to be made with the long term in mind. You aren't trading him for rentals.

Yes, 15 games is more than enough! Bye Phil, thanks again for being surprisingly consistent and the 2 Stanley Cups....Loser!

If you keep guys for what they have done in the past that's the quickest path to having a losing team. Again what does he provide if he's not scoring? I'm eager to await your response.

Well, he's one of 3 players on the team over a point/game so how about if you define "not driving offense".

He was AWOL for the playoffs last year, and he is in the same kind of funk for the last 15 games or so. He's been a liability on the PP during that time period as well. I don't expect him to be traded today, but in the off season they need to look at him and decide whether he fits in the future. At some point this team needs to be rebuilt, trying to keep everyone together now that the core is over 30 isn't the way to proceed. Moves even unpopular ones have to be made if it benefits the team long term.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Mad City Mike on Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:25 am

Pensfan4life8771 wrote:Columbus just got Kinkaid, does that mean Bob is gone?

I thought the Pens might have looked at him.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:31 am

pens_CT wrote:
Jim wrote:
pens_CT wrote:Based on how poorly Kessel has played the last 15 games or so, would we even miss him?

:face:

Please mention a quality he has to help this team when he isn't scoring or driving offense?

Yeah, he's had a few bad games, get rid of him and his $6.8m hit... He's an overpaid useless scrub. Wouldn't even miss him!
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_CT on Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:33 am

Jim wrote:
pens_CT wrote:
Jim wrote:
pens_CT wrote:Based on how poorly Kessel has played the last 15 games or so, would we even miss him?

Please mention a quality he has to help this team when he isn't scoring or driving offense?

Yeah, he's had a few bad games, get rid of him and his $6.8m hit... He's an overpaid useless scrub. Wouldn't even miss him!

Glad to see you mentioned what he brings to the team when he isn't scoring. Unfortunately the answer is zero even if you refuse to admit it.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:33 am

pens_CT wrote:He was AWOL for the playoffs last year, and he is in the same kind of funk for the last 15 games or so. He's been a liability on the PP during that time period as well. I don't expect him to be traded today, but in the off season they need to look at him and decide whether he fits in the future. At some point this team needs to be rebuilt, trying to keep everyone together now that the core is over 30 isn't the way to proceed. Moves even unpopular ones have to be made if it benefits the team long term.

Where are your posts saying to dump Malkin? When he is not scoring all that he does is take stupid penalties. Could probably get much more return for him. We'll wait for your move-Malkin rant...
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Cow_Master66 on Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:39 am

Right, 1 subpar post season out of the 6 he's participated in...I'm actually not even opposed to trading him, but the comment "the way he's performed the last 15 games, would we even miss him" is just silly.
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Cow_Master66 on Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:40 am

pens_CT wrote:
Jim wrote:
pens_CT wrote:
Jim wrote:

Glad to see you mentioned what he brings to the team when he isn't scoring. Unfortunately the answer is zero even if you refuse to admit it.

He doesn't bring much, but fortunately for the team, he usually is scoring. Glad to see you mentioned your definition of "driving offense" when he's 1 of 3 players on this team over a point a game??
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pekkasteele on Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:41 am

Mad City Mike wrote:As I was showering this morning, I had the thought that Kessel might be traded. Don't know why. No rumor, no nothing. Or am I supposed to say that an inside source told me that?

Well, if it was a voice inside your head, it would work!
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:45 am

Jim wrote:
pens_CT wrote:He was AWOL for the playoffs last year, and he is in the same kind of funk for the last 15 games or so. He's been a liability on the PP during that time period as well. I don't expect him to be traded today, but in the off season they need to look at him and decide whether he fits in the future. At some point this team needs to be rebuilt, trying to keep everyone together now that the core is over 30 isn't the way to proceed. Moves even unpopular ones have to be made if it benefits the team long term.

Where are your posts saying to dump Malkin? When he is not scoring all that he does is take stupid penalties. Could probably get much more return for him. We'll wait for your move-Malkin rant...

Malkin has had a crap year minus the first ten games or so of the year. Center is a position of importance if you want to have a successful team and he can't be easily replaced. You hope he rebounds next year. Kessel has a shelf life on your team which is why he is on his third team. Do I want to move him for a bag of pucks hell no, but you would be crazy not to see what he would bring in a trade.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Cow_Master66 on Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:50 am

pens_CT wrote:
Jim wrote:

Malkin has had a crap year minus the first ten games or so of the year. Center is a position of importance if you want to have a successful team and he can't be easily replaced. You hope he rebounds next year. Kessel has a shelf life on your team which is why he is on his third team. Do I want to move him for a bag of pucks hell no, but you would be crazy not to see what he would bring in a trade.

Right handed, 80 point, 30 goal scorers who play 82 games every year at bargain rates are easily replaced?
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:05 am

Cow_Master66 wrote:
pens_CT wrote:
Jim wrote:

Right handed, 80 point, 30 goal scorers who play 82 games every year at bargain rates are easily replaced?

Well two other organizations didn't have an issue moving this player. Again its not about dumping the guy for picks, but the organization has to have a conversation about how to move forward. What players are going to retire here, versus which ones need to be moved in order to acquire younger assets to keep this team in contention for the balance of 87 & 71s career in Pittsburgh.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby largegarlic on Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:16 am

pens_CT wrote: Well two other organizations didn't have an issue moving this player. Again its not about dumping the guy for picks, but the organization has to have a conversation about how to move forward. What players are going to retire here, versus which ones need to be moved in order to acquire younger assets to keep this team in contention for the balance of 87 & 71s career in Pittsburgh.

Yeah, if you think the team is in need of a serious retooling and not just tinkering with role players, Kessel seems like the obvious option. You aren't going to trade Crosby, Malkin, or Letang, and then what other options are there for a trade that makes a serious statement and potentially nets a decent return? You don't have to hate Kessel or think he's useless to see the logic here.

Now, I'm still torn on whether a serious retooling is needed, and I'd probably give them the rest of the season to see how things shake out and re-assess in the summer, but I'd also listen if anyone comes in with a really good offer for Kessel today.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:24 am

largegarlic wrote:
pens_CT wrote: Well two other organizations didn't have an issue moving this player. Again its not about dumping the guy for picks, but the organization has to have a conversation about how to move forward. What players are going to retire here, versus which ones need to be moved in order to acquire younger assets to keep this team in contention for the balance of 87 & 71s career in Pittsburgh.

Yeah, if you think the team is in need of a serious retooling and not just tinkering with role players, Kessel seems like the obvious option. You aren't going to trade Crosby, Malkin, or Letang, and then what other options are there for a trade that makes a serious statement and potentially nets a decent return? You don't have to hate Kessel or think he's useless to see the logic here.

Now, I'm still torn on whether a serious retooling is needed, and I'd probably give them the rest of the season to see how things shake out and re-assess in the summer, but I'd also listen if anyone comes in with a really good offer for Kessel today.

I don't expect them to make any major moves today. They might add some bottom end defensemen for depth. Any bigger moves will happen after the season is over.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:28 am

Cow_Master66 wrote:Right handed, 80 point, 30 goal scorers who play 82 games every year at bargain rates are easily replaced?

Let some writer post a "story" on how Malkin should be traded and there will be a bunch of posts here with the grand idea of trading Malkin.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby IntangibleBeer on Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:42 am

scpensfan wrote:Need to be thinking of deals that could pay off long-term moving forward. Your Schultz-for-a-mid-rounder deals. There's no point in going big for this year. This team has had 60 games to prove it's got what it takes. The only thing it has proven so far is that it isn't a playoff team through 75% of the year.

I’m afraid that is all too true.

Maybe if a great deal falls into GMJR’s lap but unless the core starts playing miraculously, I don’t see them going deeper than the first round, if they make it.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Cow_Master66 on Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:47 am

It seems strange to me that so many want to trade Philip but Hornqvist is never part of the conversation…?
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby scpensfan on Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:51 am

I don't *want* to deal Kessel. But I think he's the one person you could deal to try and do a reset-on-the-fly. Hornqvist wouldn't bring enough. Crosby, Malkin, Letang are the core. You ride with those three until the era is definitively finished. Now, if someone lacking what Hornqvist brings wants to vastly overpay for him, then that's a different story.
scpensfan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby praxitas on Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:00 pm

Hornqvist was Hornqvist most of the season until he got hurt. Not saying it isn't concerning, but no one has ever questioned his heart and effort. I don't know if you can say the same about Phil. For the record I like both players a ton. Outside of Sid/Jake/Dumo and (surprisingly) Letang it seems every player is under a microscope due to how the season is unfolding. You can throw coach and GM in that last statement as well, deservedly so.
praxitas
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pitts on Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:08 pm

Cow_Master66 wrote:It seems strange to me that so many want to trade Philip but Hornqvist is never part of the conversation…?

I think Hornqvist's new 5 year deal is the problem.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Malkintent on Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:34 pm

Hornqvist's playing since coming back has been concerning. I don't want to deal him but it might be the smart move. I'm afraid trading him so soon after resigning him would look really bad and make players hesitant to sign/resign with the Pens.
Malkintent
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: Please help my dog https://www.gofundme.com/sumdm7d8

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:52 am

Any word on why Trotman over Prow tonight?
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pensfan4life8771 on Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:53 am

The called up Trotman so he is in tonight.
Pensfan4life8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:32 pm

Pensfan4life8771 wrote:The called up Trotman so he is in tonight.

I get that, was curious why Trotman got the call up and not Prow?
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Ericf on Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:36 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
Pensfan4life8771 wrote:The called up Trotman so he is in tonight.

I get that, was curious why Trotman got the call up and not Prow?

Because he has had game in the NHL and Prow hasn't...that's how stupid this FO is
Ericf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Jim on Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:23 pm

To piss of fanboys that have never actually seem Prow play?
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins