Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Postby Maestro on Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:23 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Geesh, if Peter Chiarelli isn't fired before the trade deadline, owner Jeffery Katz is a gigantic moron. I think we all have a pretty good of his past blunders, but, here is what he has done in the past 24 hours:

-- Waived Ty Rattie and Ryan Spooner. Spooner was acquired from NYR for Ryan Strome. Strome was acquired from NYI for Jordan Eberle. So, at the end of the day, Chiarelli has nothing to show for Jordan Eberle. They just lost the player with no return.

-- Then, he went out and signed a 30 year old backup goalie from Finland, Mikko Koskinen, to a 3 year deal worth......4.5M PER YEAR!!!!! Looks at DeSmith's numbers, age, and NHL games played, then look at Koskinen, and tell me why Chiarelli felt the need to pay the guy about 3M more than he's worth.

So are you suggesting he's a Russian troll?

Last edited by Maestro on Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:49 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Geesh, if Peter Chiarelli isn't fired before the trade deadline, owner Jeffery Katz is a gigantic moron. I think we all have a pretty good of his past blunders, but, here is what he has done in the past 24 hours:

-- Waived Ty Rattie and Ryan Spooner. Spooner was acquired from NYR for Ryan Strome. Strome was acquired from NYI for Jordan Eberle. So, at the end of the day, Chiarelli has nothing to show for Jordan Eberle. They just lost the player with no return.

-- Then, he went out and signed a 30 year old backup goalie from Finland, Mikko Koskinen, to a 3 year deal worth......4.5M PER YEAR!!!!! Looks at DeSmith's numbers, age, and NHL games played, then look at Koskinen, and tell me why Chiarelli felt the need to pay the guy about 3M more than he's worth.

Cam Talbot has supposedly agreed to a trade to ANYWHERE as well! I really don't recall Chiarelli being this moronic when he was with Boston.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:33 pm

Pitts wrote:

Cam Talbot has supposedly agreed to a trade to ANYWHERE as well! I really don't recall Chiarelli being this moronic when he was with Boston.

What I read on Twitter this afternoon is that Chiarelli had been searching for a backup goalie for some time. He reportedly had a deal worked out that ended up falling through, so he wanted to lockup Koskinen. Still a horrible, horrible signing. DeSmith has better numbers.

Best comment seen on the matter: Pete, paying the player more doesn't automatically make them a better player.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ville5 on Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:56 pm

LeBrun have anything in his latest article in the Athletic about the Pens?
ville5
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Jim on Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:14 pm

Pitts wrote:

He did trade a prime Kessel (two 1st and a 2nd) and a prime Seguin (Loui Eriksson and junk).
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:16 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Pitts wrote:

What I read on Twitter this afternoon is that Chiarelli had been searching for a backup goalie for some time. He reportedly had a deal worked out that ended up falling through, so he wanted to lockup Koskinen. Still a horrible, horrible signing. DeSmith has better numbers.

Best comment seen on the matter: Pete, paying the player more doesn't automatically make them a better player.

Jarry for RNH @50%
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby murphydump55 on Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:42 pm

Jim wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
Pitts wrote:

Jarry for RNH @50%

Would be amazing.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby Jmalone on Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:42 pm

murphydump55 wrote:
Jim wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
Pitts wrote:

Jarry for RNH @50%

Would be amazing.

They also need defense so throw in Johnson, and make Petterson-Oleksiak the bottom pair. Chiarelli is dumb enough for that.
Jmalone

Postby Maestro on Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:30 pm

Just heard Dan Kingerski say look out for possible Brass to Wild for E. Staal with salary retained.
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:36 pm

Rattle would be worth the claim. Super cheap. RFA after the season ends. Didn’t he play with McDavid on the top line this season?

Another possible Edmonton gem.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ville5 on Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:38 pm

Maestro wrote:Just heard Dan Kingerski say look out for possible Brass to Wild for E. Staal with salary retained.

Please be true, please be true,...
Though I highly doubt this unless we're adding. Significantly. Staal has 15 goals, 33 points and plays 17:37 a night.
ville5
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby murphydump55 on Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:42 pm

Maestro wrote:Just heard Dan Kingerski say look out for possible Brass to Wild for E. Staal with salary retained.

On what did you hear this?
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ville5 on Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:43 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:

Rattle would be worth the claim. Super cheap. RFA after the season ends. Didn’t he play with McDavid on the top line this season?

I don't think Rattie is too good. Maybe an upgrade over Garrett Wilson. But we all know how Sully likes his plugs.
ville5
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pens_CT on Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:55 pm

ville5 wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:

I don't think Rattie is too good. Maybe an upgrade over Garrett Wilson. But we all know how Sully likes his plugs.

I think that's a pretty safe analysis, Edmonton is searching for forwards with a pulse, and you get waived. Doesn't say much for Mr. Rattie.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens_CT on Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:57 pm

murphydump55 wrote:

From Minnesota's point of view it makes zero sense. They're in the playoff hunt and you take a downgrade at the center position with a guy who is also a free agent at the end of the season. Oh and we'll retain some of the better player's salary for you Pittsburgh.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby murphydump55 on Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:05 pm

pens_CT wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:

From Minnesota's point of view it makes zero sense. They're in the playoff hunt and you take a downgrade at the center position with a guy who is also a free agent at the end of the season. Oh and we'll retain some of the better player's salary for you Pittsburgh.

Has to be more to it.

Although it was Kingerski and he’s pretty damn bad in his analysis and “inside scoop”.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens_CT on Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:17 pm

murphydump55 wrote:
pens_CT wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:

Has to be more to it.

Although it was Kingerski and he’s pretty damn bad in his analysis and “inside scoop”.

I mean its logical that Rutherford would be interested in Staal, but to your point there would have to be more involved in order for this to make sense,
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KG on Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:31 pm

Wild rumor. Maybe that tweet a couple pages back with Maatta in the Wild lineup wasn’t a mistake?!?!? :)
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:52 pm

Dreger says Winnipeg still interested in Brassard.

LeBrun keeps saying the Penguins have interest in Ferland. Unless this team is willing to get rid of Simon, I don't see a fit. Ferland can play either wing. Jake,Hornqvist, Pearson, Kessel, Rust, Simon. Those are the current top 9 wingers. Where would Ferland fit?
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens_CT on Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:57 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Dreger says Winnipeg still interested in Brassard.

LeBrun keeps saying the Penguins have interest in Ferland. Unless this team is willing to get rid of Simon, I don't see a fit. Ferland can play either wing. Jake,Hornqvist, Pearson, Kessel, Rust, Simon. Those are the current top 9 wingers. Where would Ferland fit?

You might have to trade one of those wingers in order to get the 3C. I doubt that player is coming in a Brassard trade.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Maestro on Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:45 am

https://pittsburghhockeynow.com/nhl-trade-rumors-derick-brassard-pittsburgh-penguins-trade/

At the end of the video - he says he has no sources - just a feeling something could happen there.
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jmalone on Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:22 am

Welp, Chiarelli has been fired, so no stealing any Oilers now I guess.
Jmalone

Postby ville5 on Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:50 am

Jmalone wrote:Welp, Chiarelli has been fired, so no stealing any Oilers now I guess.

Lol. McDavid took less than he could get so a better team could be assembled around him. And Chiarelli royally screws it up and handcuffs their Cap.
Last edited by ville5 on Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
ville5
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby longtimefan on Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:53 am

Maestro wrote:https://pittsburghhockeynow.com/nhl-trade-rumors-derick-brassard-pittsburgh-penguins-trade/

At the end of the video - he says he has no sources - just a feeling something could happen there.

He actually didn't suggest a Brassard for Staal trade, just that Staal would be a nice fit and JR likes his Staals. His cap hit is only $3.5M, which is only $500K more than Brassard.

It makes me remember the day I started taking a much harder view of the rumor mongers. On DK's site two summers ago after Bonino signed, Yohe and Gatzka did a 4th of July podcast. And you could tell they were reaching for material. They concocted all the reasons Jordan Staal made sense. DK himself took over the next day about pointing out how "logical" it was. Within a week, it was all over the internet, being reported as a "legitimate" rumor.

With the advent of the internet, and the volume of reports, it's difficult to trust anybody. I used to trust McKenzie and Dreger, but it seems they've taken the plunge of just throwing things against the wall. You can't sit on a potential scoop while you try to confirm. I'm a fanatic, so I look at most anything I can read, but Spector's is the only one I put credence in. And that's because it's been around the longest and has never been a rumor generating site. Lyle Richardson just links to anything he can find on the web and reports the rumor. His analysis is always in the format of opinion rather than insider information. It just doesn't report things as facts from an "insider." Not when you find out the "insiders" have names like Kingerski and Yohe.
longtimefan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby longtimefan on Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:02 am

pens_CT wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
Southern Fan wrote:

Maybe the Oilers need a 30+ year old defenseman that hits and blocks shots and is locked into a long term deal.

Jack Johnson for Leon Draisaitl seems like a fair deal. Let's strike while PeteyC still has a job.

The scary part is Peter Chiarelli was a candidate for the Pens GM job after they fired Craig Patrick. Not sure if we ever formally interviewed him or not, but if I remember correct it was between Shero and him. Who knows what this team would look had we hired Chiarelli instead of Shero.

He was one of the finalist, and he ended up getting the Boston job. He did win the Bruins only Cup in the last 46 years, so I wonder what his long term legacy will be in Beantown. He failed miserably in Edmonton, and is unlikely to ever get another GM's position.
longtimefan
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins