Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Postby Southern Fan on Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:02 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Southern Fan wrote:Seems like the fate of the franchise shouldn’t be impacted by who your 5/6 defenseman is. A lot more worried last year when Letang was not right.

Also, was more worried when Murray was off his game earlier this year.

When the team keeps trotting him out there like nothing is wrong. I hold out hope that JJ could have some value against a heavier team in the playoffs, but his regular season mistakes could end up proving more costly.

October: 10 games, 13 goals against at even strength. SF% of 44, HDCF% of 42.19%
November: 9 games, 11 goals against at even strength. SF% of 42.66, HDCF% of 45.65%
December: 15 games, 5 goals against at even strength. SF% of 42.75%, HDCF% 50.49%
January: 9 games to date, 12 goals against at even strength. SF% 52.17%, HDCF% 55.07%

October, 13 was most goals given up by Pens defenseman, and he gets less time than Dumo/Letang.
January, 12 goals is tied with Letang, but again, he gets less TOI than Letang

I'm too lazy right now to bother with GA/60, but, it's typically higher than the rest of the regular defenseman.....certainly higher than guys like Riikola and Oleksiak, who have found their way to the bench.

Problem is they don’t play him like a 5/6 defehseman. More like a 3/4. In some games, only Letang gets more ice time. That’s on team management. That can be fixed.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:15 pm

Jim wrote:If the Pens move Brassard, what are they going to do for a 3C? If you ate thinking about typing "Sheahan" stab yourself in the eye with a fork first.

That is actually what I would do. I don't believe Sheahan ticks enough boxes, namely, offensively, to hold down the spot.

What I would do for 3C:

1) Have 2-3 targets in mind. Find out the asking price for said 3C. Let's say its a 2nd round and B-level prospect.
2) I'd go out to said teams to determine what they are looking for in a prospect.
3) Trade Brassard for said pick and prospect. Flip the pick and prospect to the 3C team.

I don't see it being very likely the Penguins are going to be able to do one deal, moving out Brassard and getting a 3C....or even Brassard and Oleksiak and getting a 3C back in return. Simplest way would be get some non-cap assets (pick, prospect) for Brassard, use those assets and Oleksiak to get your 3C.

Worst case scenario, I'd go out and try and trade for a guy who is currently playing wing but has played center in the past. Marcus Johanssen of NJ, Nick Bjugstad of Florida, Charlie Coyle of Minnesota. There really are no rentals available that are going to be any better than Sheahan. Hayes and Duchene are not 3Cs. Guys like Teravainen, Nelson, Filppula, Spezza, Thorton, Staal are likely staying put due to their value to the team or need for a playoff run this year.

I'd offer a boatload to Ottawa for Chris Tierney. Offer a 2nd round and a higher end prospect. Either get that prospect for Brassard, or offer up someone like a Jordy Bellerive or something else. Tierney is young. You are going to have to make it worth Ottawa's while to trade away a young guy, but, he's also not a top 6 center, so he's not 1st round and top prospect worthy. He'll put up 35-45 points, and plays well defensively. I'd rather have a 10-15 goal scoring center that can setup their linemates (meaning the line as a whole is scoring), then someone that can score goals but can't work with others to generate offense. Tierney has some room to improve, too.

I do think there are teams that could use Brassard; I do think there are teams that could use some help on defense that might like Oleksiak; I do think there are some teams that may be willing to move a 3C type with term for the right price.

If Brassard or Sheahan is the Penguins 3C for the playoffs, I don't think this team can stack up against the Tampas and other top teams in the league.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:16 pm

Southern Fan wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
Southern Fan wrote:Seems like the fate of the franchise shouldn’t be impacted by who your 5/6 defenseman is. A lot more worried last year when Letang was not right.

Also, was more worried when Murray was off his game earlier this year.

When the team keeps trotting him out there like nothing is wrong. I hold out hope that JJ could have some value against a heavier team in the playoffs, but his regular season mistakes could end up proving more costly.

October: 10 games, 13 goals against at even strength. SF% of 44, HDCF% of 42.19%
November: 9 games, 11 goals against at even strength. SF% of 42.66, HDCF% of 45.65%
December: 15 games, 5 goals against at even strength. SF% of 42.75%, HDCF% 50.49%
January: 9 games to date, 12 goals against at even strength. SF% 52.17%, HDCF% 55.07%

October, 13 was most goals given up by Pens defenseman, and he gets less time than Dumo/Letang.
January, 12 goals is tied with Letang, but again, he gets less TOI than Letang

I'm too lazy right now to bother with GA/60, but, it's typically higher than the rest of the regular defenseman.....certainly higher than guys like Riikola and Oleksiak, who have found their way to the bench.

Problem is they don’t play him like a 5/6 defehseman. More like a 3/4. In some games, only Letang gets more ice time. That’s on team management. That can be fixed.

Bingo!
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens_CT on Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:35 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Jim wrote:If the Pens move Brassard, what are they going to do for a 3C? If you ate thinking about typing "Sheahan" stab yourself in the eye with a fork first.

That is actually what I would do. I don't believe Sheahan ticks enough boxes, namely, offensively, to hold down the spot.

What I would do for 3C:

1) Have 2-3 targets in mind. Find out the asking price for said 3C. Let's say its a 2nd round and B-level prospect.
2) I'd go out to said teams to determine what they are looking for in a prospect.
3) Trade Brassard for said pick and prospect. Flip the pick and prospect to the 3C team.

I don't see it being very likely the Penguins are going to be able to do one deal, moving out Brassard and getting a 3C....or even Brassard and Oleksiak and getting a 3C back in return. Simplest way would be get some non-cap assets (pick, prospect) for Brassard, use those assets and Oleksiak to get your 3C.

Worst case scenario, I'd go out and try and trade for a guy who is currently playing wing but has played center in the past. Marcus Johanssen of NJ, Nick Bjugstad of Florida, Charlie Coyle of Minnesota. There really are no rentals available that are going to be any better than Sheahan. Hayes and Duchene are not 3Cs. Guys like Teravainen, Nelson, Filppula, Spezza, Thorton, Staal are likely staying put due to their value to the team or need for a playoff run this year.

I'd offer a boatload to Ottawa for Chris Tierney. Offer a 2nd round and a higher end prospect. Either get that prospect for Brassard, or offer up someone like a Jordy Bellerive or something else. Tierney is young. You are going to have to make it worth Ottawa's while to trade away a young guy, but, he's also not a top 6 center, so he's not 1st round and top prospect worthy. He'll put up 35-45 points, and plays well defensively. I'd rather have a 10-15 goal scoring center that can setup their linemates (meaning the line as a whole is scoring), then someone that can score goals but can't work with others to generate offense. Tierney has some room to improve, too.

I do think there are teams that could use Brassard; I do think there are teams that could use some help on defense that might like Oleksiak; I do think there are some teams that may be willing to move a 3C type with term for the right price.

If Brassard or Sheahan is the Penguins 3C for the playoffs, I don't think this team can stack up against the Tampas and other top teams in the league.

Tierney makes the most sense because he has the characteristics you need in a 3C, but also because his team is out of the playoffs not only this year but probably for a few seasons. I don't see them getting a 3C from a team still in the playoff race, and when you look at the other teams out of the race, the center trade options are not very good.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:07 am

pens_CT wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

What I would do for 3C:

Tierney makes the most sense because he has the characteristics you need in a 3C, but also because his team is out of the playoffs not only this year but probably for a few seasons. I don't see them getting a 3C from a team still in the playoff race, and when you look at the other teams out of the race, the center trade options are not very good.

Tierney, Bjugstad, Anisimov, Bozak, and Granlund are likely the options available just due to their teams position.

Zacha, Kempe, and Strome possibly too, but, being a bit younger and higher draft picks (for the most part these guys haven't proven anything yet), they likely don't make sense.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens_CT on Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:47 am

FLPensFan wrote:
pens_CT wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

What I would do for 3C:

Tierney, Bjugstad, Anisimov, Bozak, and Granlund are likely the options available just due to their teams position.

Zacha, Kempe, and Strome possibly too, but, being a bit younger and higher draft picks (for the most part these guys haven't proven anything yet), they likely don't make sense.

Bozak is too old and makes too much money.

Anisimov is also over 30, has a concussion history and makes over 4 million per season.

Bjugstad is interesting but can he skate well enough to play in Sullivan's system, is he at least average in being able to distribute the puck, or is he just a bigger version of Brandon Sutter?

Still think the best option by far is Tierney based on age, his attributes, and his current cap hit. The only question is how much do the Pens need to give up in a trade.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby murphydump55 on Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:15 pm

Bonino couldn’t skate well either. He fit.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby pens_CT on Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:02 pm

True Bonino was not a speedy skater, but he checked many of the other boxes of a 3C. Bjugstad doesn't kill penalties, and costs over 4 million per season cap hit. If Florida would trade him for a 2nd round pick and a prospect, then sure he's a possibility. I suspect its going to cost more than what Rutherford is interested in giving up.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Puck-Lurker on Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:24 pm

Let's be honest. Who thinks Sheahan is a worse fit as a 3C than Brassard?

I'm not saying he's a huge improvement. I think he'd do a somewhat better job at it than Brassard.

Anyone who though Blueger was the answer needs to use that fork though.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby dark_forces on Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:31 pm

pens_CT wrote:True Bonino was not a speedy skater, but he checked many of the other boxes of a 3C. Bjugstad doesn't kill penalties, and costs over 4 million per season cap hit. If Florida would trade him for a 2nd round pick and a prospect, then sure he's a possibility. I suspect its going to cost more than what Rutherford is interested in giving up.

I'm going a bit off the radar, but how about a young, up and coming center, like Jared McCann of FLA? http://forecaster.ca/sportsnet/hockey/player.php?9812

He really impressed me the last time the Panthers came to town. He reminds me of that kind of young, hungry player like we saw in Sheary, Kuhnhackl and Rust in 2016. Perhaps he becomes that hustling, speedy, playmaking center that tries hard every shift and meshes better with some of our more skilled wingers as a 3rd line than with Brassard in tow. I'm not sure how much FLA values him, but if Brassard is dealt in a separate deal for a 2nd rounder, that could be used with something else for the acquisition. Just an idea.
dark_forces
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:43 pm

Puck-Lurker wrote:

Let's be honest. Who thinks Sheahan is a worse fit as a 3C than Brassard?

I'm not saying he's a huge improvement. I think he'd do a somewhat better job at it than Brassard.

Anyone who though Blueger was the answer needs to use that fork though.

I have rarely said it, but, I strongly believe Blueger needs to be in the NHL this year. HOWEVER.....I would like to see him get a year under his belt as the 4C at the NHL level. There is no guarantee that Blueger is going to be a 3C at the NHL level. He's kind of like Sundqvist in that regard. The Penguins wanted Sundqvist to score some more at the AHL level. He did that, but, still couldn't do anything as a 4C here in limited time. Now, he's started to come around in STL, but he needed that extra year.

Talk of Blueger jumping from the AHL to our 3C is nonsense. I like Blueger. He deserves a shot, but that doesn't mean he should be thrust into a position that he isn't ready for. I don't think he's ready to automatically be a 3C.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:52 pm

dark_forces wrote:
pens_CT wrote:True Bonino was not a speedy skater, but he checked many of the other boxes of a 3C. Bjugstad doesn't kill penalties, and costs over 4 million per season cap hit. If Florida would trade him for a 2nd round pick and a prospect, then sure he's a possibility. I suspect its going to cost more than what Rutherford is interested in giving up.

I'm going a bit off the radar, but how about a young, up and coming center, like Jared McCann of FLA? http://forecaster.ca/sportsnet/hockey/player.php?9812

He really impressed me the last time the Panthers came to town. He reminds me of that kind of young, hungry player like we saw in Sheary, Kuhnhackl and Rust in 2016. Perhaps he becomes that hustling, speedy, playmaking center that tries hard every shift and meshes better with some of our more skilled wingers as a 3rd line than with Brassard in tow. I'm not sure how much FLA values him, but if Brassard is dealt in a separate deal for a 2nd rounder, that could be used with something else for the acquisition. Just an idea.

Not a horrible idea. I will say that you'd be more likely to get McCann from Florida than Bjugstad. I'd also say, teams can get a little strange when X player was the return in a deal for another player. McCann was the main return, along with 2 picks, for Erik Gudbranson.

I've never been overly impressed with McCann, but, I will also say Florida seemed to misuse him quite a bit. He was on the wing all over the lineup his first two year here. He seems to be doing better this season. He is only 22. My biggest question with McCann would be, can he be out and out better than Sheahan. That's what the Penguins need. Sheahan has a whopping 2 assists this season. Brassard has 6. That's not what I want from a 3C. If Kessel is on the 3rd line, I want someone that can get Kessel the puck. That can setup Kessel and whoever the LW is, and let them do most of the heavy lifting on the line. Have that 3C be solid, defensively responsible, and a good puck distributor. I'd rather have that than a guy that can score as a 3C but can't work well with his teammates (see Brassard and Brandon Sutter).
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Daniel on Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:28 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
dark_forces wrote:

Not a horrible idea. I will say that you'd be more likely to get McCann from Florida than Bjugstad. I'd also say, teams can get a little strange when X player was the return in a deal for another player. McCann was the main return, along with 2 picks, for Erik Gudbranson.

I've never been overly impressed with McCann, but, I will also say Florida seemed to misuse him quite a bit. He was on the wing all over the lineup his first two year here. He seems to be doing better this season. He is only 22. My biggest question with McCann would be, can he be out and out better than Sheahan. That's what the Penguins need. Sheahan has a whopping 2 assists this season. Brassard has 6. That's not what I want from a 3C. If Kessel is on the 3rd line, I want someone that can get Kessel the puck. That can setup Kessel and whoever the LW is, and let them do most of the heavy lifting on the line. Have that 3C be solid, defensively responsible, and a good puck distributor. I'd rather have that than a guy that can score as a 3C but can't work well with his teammates (see Brassard and Brandon Sutter).

But does Sheahan have 2 assists because he passes the puck to people who can't score? He had 23 assists last year which isn't great but isn't bad considering how much of the year he played on the 4th line.

If the Pens trade Brassard this week, why not have Sheahan play with Kessel and Pearson until the trade deadline, then reevaluate. That would give the Pens a month to see if Pearson/Sheahan/Kessel is a nice line heading to the playoffs. No need to rush to find someone that might be no better than what they have.
Last edited by Daniel on Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:33 pm

Daniel wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
dark_forces wrote:

But does Sheahan have 2 assists because he passes the puck to people who can't score? He had 23 assists last year which isn't great but isn't bad considering how much of the year he played on the 4th line.

If the Pens trade Brassard this week, why not have Sheahan play with Kessel and Pearson until the trade deadline, then reevaluate. That would give the Pens a month to see if that's a nice line heading to the playoffs. No need to rush to find someone that might be no better than what they have.

I don't hate that idea, but of course, it is predicated on the Penguins moving Brassard pretty quickly. If they don't, that plan kind of goes out the window.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby wondermoose on Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:29 pm

Maybe they can trade Brassard for Bonino =D
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KG on Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:42 pm

If the Pens plan on being contenders this year they better get a better 3C then Sheahan and his 6-2-8....

It’s obvious JR will make at least one sizeable move
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Lesky on Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:47 pm

Heard this has been one of the hottest items in the Pens store this season....

Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:14 am

Geesh, if Peter Chiarelli isn't fired before the trade deadline, owner Jeffery Katz is a gigantic moron. I think we all have a pretty good of his past blunders, but, here is what he has done in the past 24 hours:

-- Waived Ty Rattie and Ryan Spooner. Spooner was acquired from NYR for Ryan Strome. Strome was acquired from NYI for Jordan Eberle. So, at the end of the day, Chiarelli has nothing to show for Jordan Eberle. They just lost the player with no return.

-- Then, he went out and signed a 30 year old backup goalie from Finland, Mikko Koskinen, to a 3 year deal worth......4.5M PER YEAR!!!!! Looks at DeSmith's numbers, age, and NHL games played, then look at Koskinen, and tell me why Chiarelli felt the need to pay the guy about 3M more than he's worth.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby longtimefan on Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:27 am

FLPensFan wrote:Geesh, if Peter Chiarelli isn't fired before the trade deadline, owner Jeffery Katz is a gigantic moron. I think we all have a pretty good of his past blunders, but, here is what he has done in the past 24 hours:

-- Waived Ty Rattie and Ryan Spooner. Spooner was acquired from NYR for Ryan Strome. Strome was acquired from NYI for Jordan Eberle. So, at the end of the day, Chiarelli has nothing to show for Jordan Eberle. They just lost the player with no return.

-- Then, he went out and signed a 30 year old backup goalie from Finland, Mikko Koskinen, to a 3 year deal worth......4.5M PER YEAR!!!!! Looks at DeSmith's numbers, age, and NHL games played, then look at Koskinen, and tell me why Chiarelli felt the need to pay the guy about 3M more than he's worth.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nhl/news ... t33jmlz66b

Ian
@le_canuck
If Spooner gets claimed that means that Peter Chiarelli will have turned Taylor Hall, Jordan Ebele and the Matthew Barzal pick into:

Adam Larsson and cap space for Milan Lucic

Brennan Klak
@nhlupdate
So to summarize Peter Chiarelli's two deals with the #Isles:

To Islanders:
Jordan Eberle
2015 1st round pick
2015 2nd round pick

To #Oilers:
Nothing

Maybe Nothing can score 30 with McDavid?
longtimefan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ville5 on Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:14 am

ville5
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Southern Fan on Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:15 am

FLPensFan wrote:Geesh, if Peter Chiarelli isn't fired before the trade deadline, owner Jeffery Katz is a gigantic moron. I think we all have a pretty good of his past blunders, but, here is what he has done in the past 24 hours:

Maybe the Oilers need a 30+ year old defenseman that hits and blocks shots and is locked into a long term deal.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Malkintent on Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:16 am

Are we sure this isn't true? Please?
Malkintent
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: Please help my dog https://www.gofundme.com/sumdm7d8

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:27 am

Southern Fan wrote:

Maybe the Oilers need a 30+ year old defenseman that hits and blocks shots and is locked into a long term deal.

Jack Johnson for Leon Draisaitl seems like a fair deal. Let's strike while PeteyC still has a job.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens_CT on Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:02 am

FLPensFan wrote:
Southern Fan wrote:

Jack Johnson for Leon Draisaitl seems like a fair deal. Let's strike while PeteyC still has a job.

The scary part is Peter Chiarelli was a candidate for the Pens GM job after they fired Craig Patrick. Not sure if we ever formally interviewed him or not, but if I remember correct it was between Shero and him. Who knows what this team would look had we hired Chiarelli instead of Shero.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:58 am

According to Canucks forward Brendan Gaunce, former Penguins d-man Cameron Gaunce and his wife had their Penguins Stanley Cup rings stolen from them last night. Rings were locked up in a safe in the house.....thieves took the whole safe. :shock: :shock:
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins