Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Postby Jim on Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:16 pm

NJ5934 wrote:I'm not getting my hopes up but Jenner and Ferland would make this a COMPLETELY different team. We haven't punished opposing blueliners with any regularity in a long long time now.

That is because if anyone hits... fearless leader cuts their ice time.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby lemieuxReturns on Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:16 pm

Yes, possibly, he might make another deal. But does that make us a better team? Trading a proven playoff performer, and now a D-man for another 3C that comes with no guarantees.
And also, which Dman? The D has steadily improved and shows no signs of slowing down, so now we are mixing that up? Yes, I know Shultz is coming back, and I'm a huge fan of his, but there's going to be a rust period and it's highly possible he's not back to his "usual self" until next season.

Shipping out Brassard for a 3C doesn't guarantee we will be better down the middle.
The 3C we bring back PROBABLY won't be in the 2C mold like he is, so if we lose one of the top two guys we could be in big trouble (hence the insurance Brassard brings); on top of that, we just traded a C that could have manned the 4th line in an emergency situation.
Shipping out a Dman is banking a lot on Shultz being at 100%, and coming off a broken leg doesn't instill a lot of confidence in that happening.

I don't think this team needs to take those kinds of risks. If you get a good deal that has a good chance of helping us this year for Brass, then make it. Otherwise, this team shouldn't feel obligated to make a move for anything other than depth because they are not in a desperate position.

All IMHO of course :pop:

Now this guy gets it. You are saying much more eloquently what I have been trying to say. I am 100% ok with trading Brassard if the deal is a good one. Definitely not for a 3rd or whatever else others are saying we need to accept to rid ourselves of an "anchor".
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tman1737 on Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:08 pm

Now Niederriter on the move. What the heck is going on? Trades all over the map.
tman1737
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby lemieuxReturns on Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:18 pm

tman1737 wrote:Now Niederriter on the move. What the heck is going on? Trades all over the map.

So the canes trade a goalie. The pens have been rumored to be working with the canes. And the pens have a goalie to trade. Makes you wonder what’s next.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ville5 on Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:28 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:
tman1737 wrote:Now Niederriter on the move. What the heck is going on? Trades all over the map.

So the canes trade a goalie. The pens have been rumored to be working with the canes. And the pens have a goalie to trade. Makes you wonder what’s next.

Wrong Rask.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:29 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:

Carolina traded a goalie?
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby lemieuxReturns on Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:41 pm

ville5 wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:

Wrong Rask.

Oh. Haha. Oops
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:45 pm

Interesting. Minnesota trades Nino, winger, for a true center in Rask. Both players having down years, but Nino is the better player. Koivu, Coyle, Staal, Fehr, Rask, Eriksson Ek.....a wee too bit many centers.

I smell a Coyle or Staal trade in the future.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pensfan4life8771 on Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:04 pm

Anyone else get the sense a Pens trade is coming today again?
Pensfan4life8771
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Cow_Master66 on Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:05 pm

Mheh, I'd take Rask over Nino.
Cow_Master66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby SubtropicalPenguin on Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:29 pm

NJ5934 wrote:I'm not getting my hopes up but Jenner and Ferland would make this a COMPLETELY different team. We haven't punished opposing blueliners with any regularity in a long long time now.

Jenner is not realistic, IMO. I can't see the Jackets moving him... and a darn sure can't see them moving him to the Pens, of all teams (though I would like him).

Ferland I suppose is a possibility. It seems everyone is probably going to be for sale in Carolina, and I expect him to be moved. That said, I don't think it will be cheap to acquire him, given his very friendly cap hit and solid production. Do the Pens really want to ship off a first rounder (maybe more) for him, because I think that's about what it would take. Do the Pens want another draft without a first rounder? If they think he's the missing piece, then maybe that's worth it... I'm all for emptying the cupboards right now, as I think the window is inching shut. One more cup with this group would sure be a nice exclamation point.

I'm not 100% sure where he slots in on the Pens' LW depth chart. Would he play on Geno's wing, moving Pearson down, or does he play on a third line with Brassard and Phil? I think he's a net-front type of player, so maybe becomes a bit duplicitous with Hornqvist.
SubtropicalPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:29 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Interesting. Minnesota trades Nino, winger, for a true center in Rask. Both players having down years, but Nino is the better player. Koivu, Coyle, Staal, Fehr, Rask, Eriksson Ek.....a wee too bit many centers.

I smell a Coyle or Staal trade in the future.

I think one of the things we're seeing more and more is that teams covet centers who can shift to wing. Dallas has done this for a few years, and we keep hearing how they're going to trade one, and yet they just keep adding -- until the recent trade when they traded a center for....a center. While Nino for Rask could be a precursor to the Wild trading a center, I think it's more a case of the Wild liking Rask.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Caputi19 on Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:40 pm

Anybody think we see brassard and something to CBJ panarin? It's already been known AP will likely be gone. I know it's a reach but its unlikely. I see pens trying to acquire Ferland or Simmonds
Caputi19
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:52 pm

Caputi19 wrote:Anybody think we see brassard and something to CBJ panarin? It's already been known AP will likely be gone. I know it's a reach but its unlikely. I see pens trying to acquire Ferland or Simmonds

Nope. First, if CBJ is playoff bound, why trade one of your best forwards, even if they know he's a goner this summer? Think of all the players the Penguins have lost via free agency that certainly would have fetched a hefty return at the deadline of playoff-bound and Cup-bound years? Winners add, not subtract. Second, if CBJ does trade Panarin, they're going to get a haul from a playoff-bound team that sees the value in adding at the deadline.

And, for the record, the reason Brassard would be traded now instead of retaining him and letting him walk is because he hasn't been a fit, he retains good trade value, and there will be viable and affordable replacements available via trade.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FallenHero96 on Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:04 pm

Let's see so MIN trades Nino a RW and they get an extra C in Rask.... so that means it's Kessel and Brassard for Eric Staal, Jason Zucker... and ?
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Malkintent on Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:06 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
Hatrick wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Very interesting on Brassard. Granted, these are fans, no team affiliations, but, looking around Twitter tonight on Brassard, there seem to be a lot of fans of teams that want to acquire Brassard.

I saw some Buffalo fans saying he would be their #3 target behind Silfverberg and I think Hayes.
Another Dallas fan asking if they should immediately jump on the chance to do Faksa for Brassard.
Saw some Chicago fans talking about an Anisimov for Brassard swap.
Saw a Bruins fan saying Bruins should go in on Brassard.
Another saying Brassard trade could set market for Kevin Hayes.

Again, these are random fans, but, the general talk out there around Brassard from other team fans is very favorable. Most seem to buy into the theory that he just isn't a fit here, and would work on a variety of other teams. So, don't be so sure to think we are going to get junk back in return for him. The general chatter on Brassard out there is good for Penguins possible returns in a trade.

if they were getting junk back then it wouldn't be worth it to trade him (although a certain reactionary portion of the fanbase might trade him for a bag of pucks, I don't think reasonable fans or Rutherford would).
Since he is just a rental for most teams I don't think they can shoot real high but some of those examples you named I think are possible, maybe with some minor retention or minor draft picks on one side or another depending on the player on the other side.

I don't think we will get junk either, but some seem to think because of his play with Pittsburgh he has little value. That doesn't seem to be the case.

To me, he is worth a 1st round pick, a top prospect, and a good NHL player. Because that is what we gave up. He is carrying a very good cap hit right now as well with Vegas eating some of it. To me at this point, if we don't get that kind of return back why trade the guy? Just put someone else in at 3rd line center and keep Brass for insurance. He is not costing much and it only makes sense to trade him if you get back what you gave to get him or at least something similar. The Brass for a 3rd talk is ridiculous.

You can't expect the Pens to get back what they traded for him when he's a UFA as opposed to having another year left on his contract.
Malkintent
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: Please help my dog https://www.gofundme.com/sumdm7d8

Postby Jim on Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:30 pm

FallenHero96 wrote:Let's see so MIN trades Nino a RW and they get an extra C in Rask.... so that means it's Kessel and Brassard for Eric Staal, Jason Zucker... and ?

No
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Cow_Master66 on Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:04 pm

Sounds like Oleksiak will be out tomorrow in favor of “Riiky”.
Cow_Master66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:35 pm

Anaheim is now dressing 4 former Penguins in their forward lineup. Grant is their 3C tonight and their 4th line....Brian Gibbons on LW, Carter Rowney at Center AND.......Daniel Sprong, your FOURTH LINE RW.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens_CT on Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:36 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Anaheim is now dressing 4 former Penguins in their forward lineup. Grant is their 3C tonight and their 4th line....Brian Gibbons on LW, Carter Rowney at Center AND.......Daniel Sprong, your FOURTH LINE RW.

Old Spronger on the 4th line, say it ain't so.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby longtimefan on Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:39 am

https://abc11.com/sports/carolina-hurri ... e/5093874/

An interview with Don Waddell about Ferland. Even though the fans are clamoring big time for them to sign him, they don't appear close on terms. Waddell basically said that they weren't contenders, and would have to trade him. Unfortunately, the PEns don't seem to be a fit. They are looking for forwards with skill. Not something the Pens can offer in abundance.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Puck-Lurker on Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:39 am

pens_CT wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Anaheim is now dressing 4 former Penguins in their forward lineup. Grant is their 3C tonight and their 4th line....Brian Gibbons on LW, Carter Rowney at Center AND.......Daniel Sprong, your FOURTH LINE RW.

Old Spronger on the 4th line, say it ain't so.

His lowest TOI in ANA is 12:22. No reason for him to complain. Can't they make a line with Rowney-Grant-Sprong? Just for a giggle
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:17 am

longtimefan wrote:https://abc11.com/sports/carolina-hurricanes-gm-waddell-talks-ferland-trade-deadline/5093874/

An interview with Don Waddell about Ferland. Even though the fans are clamoring big time for them to sign him, they don't appear close on terms. Waddell basically said that they weren't contenders, and would have to trade him. Unfortunately, the PEns don't seem to be a fit. They are looking for forwards with skill. Not something the Pens can offer in abundance.

Its a month before the deadline and Waddell can ask for whatever he wants at this point. When he gets to the final minutes before the deadline he will probably take whatever he can get which is probably a prospect and a draft pick. The return will probably be lot less than the current price.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby longtimefan on Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:50 am

https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2019 ... -contract/

I guess it comes down to what report you want to believe, and he doesn't really say much, but this from DK this morning.

With Casey DeSmith under contract through 2021-22, Tristan Jarry‘s path to the NHL is blocked with the Penguins. That means Jarry has become an expendable asset whom I’m told is likely to be moved at the deadline. As mentioned last week, Jarry’s contract is a one-way deal for next season so there’s no way the Penguins will pay him $675,000 to play in the AHL. — Bradford
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:52 am

pens_CT wrote:
longtimefan wrote:https://abc11.com/sports/carolina-hurricanes-gm-waddell-talks-ferland-trade-deadline/5093874/

Its a month before the deadline and Waddell can ask for whatever he wants at this point. When he gets to the final minutes before the deadline he will probably take whatever he can get which is probably a prospect and a draft pick. The return will probably be lot less than the current price.

Agree and disagree. The price will certainly drop. Seems every year the "rumored asking price" for just about any player regardless of skill, cap hit, term, or age, is "a first round pick and a prospect."

Ferland, though, appears to be the flavor of the day, that multiple teams are vying for. In that case, the price still has a chance to remain pretty high.

On Brassard and Columbus, with CBJ soundly in the playoffs, I don't think it is realistic that they would trade Jenner (although, I'd jump at the chance). I have heard a possibility of Alex Wennberg, and that would make a lot more sense. Wennberg is a 3C. He has only 1 goal, but 19 assists, AND an overpaid cap hit of 4.9M for 4 more years. IF (big if) CBJ and PIT were to hookup, and IF CBJ was willing to retain about 1M on Wennberg, it could work. Wennberg is a good setup guy, which may mesh very well with Kessel. Wennberg put up 13 goals and 46 assists one year (which earned him that overpaid contract). He's good defensively and plays the PK. He's only average on faceoffs, though. He's a hair under 50% at Even Strength, but 25% short handed.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins