Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins 2017 Stanley Cup Champs Fan Gear and Collectibles

Pens to sign Jack Johnson for...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Pens to sign Jack Johnson for...

Postby Daniel on Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:16 pm

Maestro wrote:Just an FYI, ESPN is the world-wide leader in sports.

Thankfully they got a copyright on that slogan before it became obsolete.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:28 pm

Puck-Lurker wrote:
Jim wrote:
ville5 wrote:
Puck-Lurker wrote:That would be 5 years at 5.25 per.

Unless this guy is as good as Schultz, bad deal. It's a lot.. lot of cap for a potential bottom pair skater.

Now if he proves to be a fit in the mold of Hainsey, I'll keep my mouth shut. Somebody saw something here though. So I'll wait and see before joining the burn him bandwagon

5 years 16.25 is 5.25 per year?

:face:

I've got nothing, just :face:

The heat here melted all my math away. The wine didn't help. I'll get in my corner and sob at that blunder.

Still meant what I said about the Hainsey thing.

You are in good company. tsn.ca's tracker is goofing up things too. Canada Day Eve parties I suppose.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:30 pm

Johnson signing up on Pens twitter as of 1 minute ago
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Firebird on Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:37 pm

And Matt Cullen?
Firebird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Badger Bob on Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:15 pm

It's on their main website now too.

https://www.nhl.com/penguins/news/pengu ... -299367110

Time to get used to it folks and hope that it works out well for him and the Pens.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pronovost19 on Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:25 pm

Hearing Cullen rumors from friends. Is this true?
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Mango Salsa on Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:29 pm

Does ESPN still exist? Haven't watched since they dropped the NHL. All hail Gary Thorne/ Bill Clement/John Buccigross!
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pronovost19 on Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:31 pm

Mango Salsa wrote:

Does ESPN still exist? Haven't watched since they dropped the NHL. All hail Gary Thorne/ Bill Clement/John Buccigross!

ESPN sold their soul to the nba. Hail nobody from their but maybe Bucci.
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:32 pm

pronovost19 wrote:Hearing Cullen rumors from friends. Is this true?

how the hell are we supposed to know who you're hearing rumors from
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Owchar76 on Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:03 am

pronovost19 wrote:Hearing Cullen rumors from friends. Is this true?

Yes they're true. They obviously read them from decent sources. :D
Owchar76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby dark_forces on Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:13 pm

After thinking on it more, I think Jack will be fine in Pittsburgh. He'll play a lesser role with much less pressure than he's used to. He's always been an athletic, physical player and he's not hurting for motivation. I've never been a huge stats guy and can't base opinions solely on numbers from playing on a team not known for offensive wizardry.
dark_forces
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pens_CT on Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:05 pm

dark_forces wrote:After thinking on it more, I think Jack will be fine in Pittsburgh. He'll play a lesser role with his much less pressure than he's used to. He's always been an athletic, physical player and he's not hurting for motivation. I've never been a huge stats guy and can't base opinions solely on numbers from playing on a team not known for offensive wizardry.

Well Sullivan among others in the organization looked at game tape of Johnson and based on the review gave GMJR the go ahead to make him a contract offer. So you can look at this two ways either the head coach and company have no clue about accessing talent, or they think he has issues but they are correctable.

FWIW, I was against signing him. However he is on the team, and unless people want to keep this hate thing going through the summer, I would suggest to see how this guy performs at camp and at the beginning of the regular season before organizing a public hanging for the guy. Plenty of time to start the hate flowing in October.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Daniel on Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:11 pm

pens_CT wrote:
dark_forces wrote:After thinking on it more, I think Jack will be fine in Pittsburgh. He'll play a lesser role with his much less pressure than he's used to. He's always been an athletic, physical player and he's not hurting for motivation. I've never been a huge stats guy and can't base opinions solely on numbers from playing on a team not known for offensive wizardry.

Well Sullivan among others in the organization looked at game tape of Johnson and based on the review gave GMJR the go ahead to make him a contract offer. So you can look at this two ways either the head coach and company have no clue about accessing talent, or they think he has issues but they are correctable.

FWIW, I was against signing him. However he is on the team, and unless people want to keep this hate thing going through the summer, I would suggest to see how this guy performs at camp and at the beginning of the regular season before organizing a public hanging for the guy. Plenty of time to start the hate flowing in October.

Hopefully the winning atmosphere and comfort level will allow JJ to relax and just play hockey. As a 3 overall pick, I'm sure he's felt a lot of pressure up to now. Maybe it will be easier to be part of the group rather than someone the team has to rely on in every situation. Almost reminds me of Phil in a way, he was just able to relax and play his game. While Phil was much more successful than JJ, he is also a forward and mistakes don't tend to end up as goals.

I'm with you, I was against the signing, but now he's part of the team and I have no choice but to hope he succeeds. I'm hoping that the last 13 years are more about financial mess, bad situations, too much pressure, etc.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Humperdink on Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:24 pm

Apparently Johnson is not the only BJ who left on less-than-amicable terms.

"Before the Jackets’ Game 6 playoff loss to the Capitals, coach John Tortorella described Calvert’s play this season as “up and down, like a toilet seat” — a remark that angered Calvert. Tortorella later apologized publicly, but it was clear from that point that Calvert, who signed a three-year contract with Colorado at an average annual value of $2.8 million per season, was ready to move on."

Torts has a lot of class, all of it third. Who would want to play for this coach?

http://www.dispatch.com/sports/20180701 ... gly-at-end
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby longtimefan on Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:09 pm

I was listening to Mackey on with Starkey, and they talked about Jack Johnson's advanced first pass stats. The advanced stats are still a little foreign to me. I definitely see that they have their place, so I've been studying them. While still relying on my eyes and own opinions. The thing is JJ, has been trashed, justifiably so, about his advanced stats. But if you're going to make the argument on those stats, I do think it's fair to point out where he is near elite in a particular stat. After hearing Mackey talk about it, I happened on this from Tim Benz.

https://triblive.com/sports/-topstories ... ck-johnson

Yet for all the attention those bad numbers have received, here's a good one few people have mentioned: Last year, Johnson was one of the NHL's best defensemen at passing out of the defensive zone.

According to Mike Kelly of the NHL Network , among defensemen who logged at least 1,000 even-strength minutes, only five were better at completing an outlet pass from their defensive zone and into the neutral zone: 73.5 percent of the time.

That's a talent that is particularly valued by Penguins management because they covet defensemen who move the puck with accuracy to their fast, skilled forwards. Columbus' depth of talent up front can't match what is present in Pittsburgh.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Penspal on Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:14 pm

Well, JJ has brought drama at least.

https://www.tsn.ca/tortorella-kekalainen-fire-back-at-pens-gm-1.1128826

I particularly like how Torts calls GMJR - "Jimmy"
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby LimerickPensFan on Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:00 pm

longtimefan wrote:I was listening to Mackey on with Starkey, and they talked about Jack Johnson's advanced first pass stats. The advanced stats are still a little foreign to me. I definitely see that they have their place, so I've been studying them. While still relying on my eyes and own opinions. The thing is JJ, has been trashed, justifiably so, about his advanced stats. But if you're going to make the argument on those stats, I do think it's fair to point out where he is near elite in a particular stat. After hearing Mackey talk about it, I happened on this from Tim Benz.

Yet for all the attention those bad numbers have received, here's a good one few people have mentioned: Last year, Johnson was one of the NHL's best defensemen at passing out of the defensive zone.

According to Mike Kelly of the NHL Network , among defensemen who logged at least 1,000 even-strength minutes, only five were better at completing an outlet pass from their defensive zone and into the neutral zone: 73.5 percent of the time.

That's a talent that is particularly valued by Penguins management because they covet defensemen who move the puck with accuracy to their fast, skilled forwards. Columbus' depth of talent up front can't match what is present in Pittsburgh.

I thought we did have trouble breaking out of our zone during the playoffs last year. This might explain what Rutherford was looking for with him.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby murphydump55 on Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:56 am

LimerickPensFan wrote:
longtimefan wrote:I was listening to Mackey on with Starkey, and they talked about Jack Johnson's advanced first pass stats. The advanced stats are still a little foreign to me. I definitely see that they have their place, so I've been studying them. While still relying on my eyes and own opinions. The thing is JJ, has been trashed, justifiably so, about his advanced stats. But if you're going to make the argument on those stats, I do think it's fair to point out where he is near elite in a particular stat. After hearing Mackey talk about it, I happened on this from Tim Benz.

I thought we did have trouble breaking out of our zone during the playoffs last year. This might explain what Rutherford was looking for with him.

We had trouble breaking out against the Caps ridiculous trap. As did every other team. While I look forward to Johnson’s ability to pass the puck, I hardly think he was the answer. The Caps just played it well.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby murphydump55 on Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:00 am

dark_forces wrote:After thinking on it more, I think Jack will be fine in Pittsburgh. He'll play a lesser role with much less pressure than he's used to. He's always been an athletic, physical player and he's not hurting for motivation. I've never been a huge stats guy and can't base opinions solely on numbers from playing on a team not known for offensive wizardry.

Not so sure about a lesser role. His icetime has been cut over the last few years already. The talk is that he’s going to play second pairing with Schultz and be a key PK guy. Still think he’s going to have a big role here.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby LimerickPensFan on Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:19 am

murphydump55 wrote:
LimerickPensFan wrote:

We had trouble breaking out against the Caps ridiculous trap. As did every other team. While I look forward to Johnson’s ability to pass the puck, I hardly think he was the answer. The Caps just played it well.

We had trouble against other teams as well toward the end of the season. I didn't think we did particularly well against Philly in round 1, either.

Actually, from what I caught of the conference finals and cup finals, what the Caps did best was in their own zone. Vegas rarely had any puck time in the offensive zone - especially late in games - especially when the Caps had the lead.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby murphydump55 on Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:41 am

LimerickPensFan wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:
LimerickPensFan wrote:

We had trouble against other teams as well toward the end of the season. I didn't think we did particularly well against Philly in round 1, either.

Actually, from what I caught of the conference finals and cup finals, what the Caps did best was in their own zone. Vegas rarely had any puck time in the offensive zone - especially late in games - especially when the Caps had the lead.

When the Caps had a lead they would go into their trap. It didn’t allow the puck to be carried through the zone and any dump ins were easily recovered and transitioned. Thus allowing less time in the defensive zone. Teams couldn’t set up, rinse, repeat.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby LimerickPensFan on Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:49 am

murphydump55 wrote:When the Caps had a lead they would go into their trap. It didn’t allow the puck to be carried through the zone and any dump ins were easily recovered and transitioned. Thus allowing less time in the defensive zone. Teams couldn’t set up, rinse, repeat.

The fact that everyone bought into it - Ovechkin included - really helped. I think this year's the first time I've ever seen Ovie go down to block a shot.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby stonewizard51 on Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:43 pm

Penspal wrote:Well, JJ has brought drama at least.

https://www.tsn.ca/tortorella-kekalainen-fire-back-at-pens-gm-1.1128826

I particularly like how Torts calls GMJR - "Jimmy"

JJ is paying dividends already. I love to watch Torts blow a head gasket. :lol:
stonewizard51
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hatrick on Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:02 pm

Daniel wrote:
Maestro wrote:Lol, ESPN > you

You're right, ESPN > me, absolutely. Doesn't make them experts.

Corsi analysis > ESPN
Ryan Wilson's analysis that was posted > ESPN
John Tortorella scratching Jack Johnson > ESPN
Everyone else who covers hockey > ESPN > me

You're right, when it comes to ESPN vs. me, they're better. When it comes to anyone else in the world who analysis hockey for a living vs. ESPN.....they win.

So ESPN calling it a B+ is really just ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

considering how many of the experts ESPN did have left that they then proceeded to fire they are even less credible than a few years ago which wasn't very high to start out with.
Hatrick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby brwi on Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:05 am

murphydump55 wrote:
dark_forces wrote:After thinking on it more, I think Jack will be fine in Pittsburgh. He'll play a lesser role with much less pressure than he's used to. He's always been an athletic, physical player and he's not hurting for motivation. I've never been a huge stats guy and can't base opinions solely on numbers from playing on a team not known for offensive wizardry.

Not so sure about a lesser role. His icetime has been cut over the last few years already. The talk is that he’s going to play second pairing with Schultz and be a key PK guy. Still think he’s going to have a big role here.

I can see Johnson paired with Schultz. While everything screams "bottom pairing" for Johnson, putting him and Olesiak together could be brutal. Both are good straight-line skaters that are below average laterally. Stiff hips, just like Orpik. Both the opposite of Maatta's skating. Forwards with some speed and quickness would eat up a Olesiak-JJ pairing so Pens are kind of stuck with having to play JJ up a level. Otherwise, you pair him with Olesiak and continue to try and protect the bottom pairing by doling out extra minutes to the top-4, again.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins