Kessel trade thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Kessel trade thread

Postby Penguins Knight on Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:49 pm

Trading away Kessel would be a bad idea at the present. Kessel has been reliable, scores goals, and produces when needed. The Penguins need to keep Kessel around for one or two seasons to win another Stanley Cup championship. When the core of the team moving forward shifts to younger players that are producing, then Kessel could be considered for a trade or for moving on.
Penguins Knight

Postby State College Penguin on Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:53 pm

LimerickPensFan wrote:
RentedMule66 wrote:
ziggo wrote:Might as well add Letang, Murray and Sheary, and why should Olli Maatta be exempt just because it's been a couple years.?? :D

Why are we adding Murray?? He's going nowhere.

Neither are Letang or Kessel, but that doesn't stop us from talking about it.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. Sorry, trading Hags or Sheary for picks (all they are worth) don't move the needle of change. Putting Sprong, who has a crap two way game (can't play any defense and that was why he wasn't up) in a top six doesn't change the complexion of this roster. JR has said this won't be the same team. A change means either Letang or Kessel will be moved. That moves the needle. I prefer seeing Letang shipped off. His contract sucks at 7.25 the next four years. You want to change something ... send him off; get picks and prospects and then use the $$$ for John Carlson. Package Sheary and Letang to Phoenix for OEL (better than Letang IMO) and Domi.

Don't think for a minute neither Kessel nor Letang aren't in potential trade talks. Fact is this team doesn't win the Cup by staying status quo or moving spare parts for picks.
State College Penguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby ville5 on Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:58 pm

State College Penguin wrote:
LimerickPensFan wrote:
RentedMule66 wrote:
ziggo wrote:Might as well add Letang, Murray and Sheary, and why should Olli Maatta be exempt just because it's been a couple years.?? :D

Why are we adding Murray?? He's going nowhere.

Neither are Letang or Kessel, but that doesn't stop us from talking about it.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. Sorry, trading Hags or Sheary for picks (all they are worth) don't move the needle of change. Putting Sprong, who has a crap two way game (can't play any defense and that was why he wasn't up) in a top six doesn't change the complexion of this roster. JR has said this won't be the same team. A change means either Letang or Kessel will be moved. That moves the needle. I prefer seeing Letang shipped off. His contract sucks at 7.25 the next four years. You want to change something ... send him off; get picks and prospects and then use the $$$ for John Carlson. Package Sheary and Letang to Phoenix for OEL (better than Letang IMO) and Domi.

Don't think for a minute neither Kessel nor Letang aren't in potential trade talks. Fact is this team doesn't win the Cup by staying status quo or moving spare parts for picks.

Letang and Sheary doesn't even get OEL imho.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Malkintent on Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:16 am

Why would Phoenix want Letang? They're nowhere near being a playoff team let alone a contender.
Malkintent
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: Please help my dog https://www.gofundme.com/sumdm7d8

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:18 pm

According to the Onion of Penguins coverage (AKA TIOPS), interest in Kessel is starting to pickup, whereas 2-3 teams were showing interest in the last week or two, there are now 5 or 6 teams that have had preliminary discussions with Pittsburgh. TIOPS says "league sources say" it is 50/50 as to whether Kessel gets moved.

He says with JVR, Skinner, Pacioretty, and Kovalchuk, there are a lot of options right now. Skinner is reportedly a 1st and young NHL prospect. Florida, LA, and Buffalo interested in Skinner per TIOPS, but all 3 of those teams are looking at Kessel as a potential backup. TIOPS says the advantage of Kessel over Skinner and Pacioretty is term left on the deal, and there is a belief Pittsburgh may retain a small portion in the right deal.

The other talk is that bringing Kessel into a veteran locker room is a better for his "attitude," and this is why LA continues to be in the Kessel rumor mill. Also according to TIOPS, LA, Chicago, and Nashville are 3 of the teams on Kessel's 8 team approved list.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Daniel on Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:52 pm

FLPensFan wrote:The other talk is that bringing Kessel into a veteran locker room is a better for his "attitude," and this is why LA continues to be in the Kessel rumor mill. Also according to TIOPS, LA, Chicago, and Nashville are 3 of the teams on Kessel's 8 team approved list.

Umm, how many teams have a more veteran locker room than Pittsburgh, yet the rumor is that he needs to be traded because of his "attitude"? :face:
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:13 pm

Daniel wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:The other talk is that bringing Kessel into a veteran locker room is a better for his "attitude," and this is why LA continues to be in the Kessel rumor mill. Also according to TIOPS, LA, Chicago, and Nashville are 3 of the teams on Kessel's 8 team approved list.

Umm, how many teams have a more veteran locker room than Pittsburgh, yet the rumor is that he needs to be traded because of his "attitude"? :face:

Well not sure I buy any of it, I think what TIOPS is trying to say is, younger teams are worried about how Phil would fit into the locker room. The Penguins are a vet team, and the players are willing to look past some of his quirks. Younger teams might have concerns.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Daniel on Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:56 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Daniel wrote:

Well not sure I buy any of it, I think what TIOPS is trying to say is, younger teams are worried about how Phil would fit into the locker room. The Penguins are a vet team, and the players are willing to look past some of his quirks. Younger teams might have concerns.

I can buy the "he should go to a team where he isn't the focal point" before anything about veteran team vs. younger team. He could certainly go to New Jersey and be just another guy or Winnipeg as well. He's quirky for sure, but the Pens locker room isn't the problem (if there even is a problem, which I don't buy).
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Penspal on Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:19 pm

TSN has a video of Phil playing poker in the World Series of Poker, he ran into poker star Daniel Negreanu who has a vlog... Kinda funny, expect the part where he asked Phil where he was playing next year... Phil's answer was "Pittsburgh I guess".

https://www.bardown.com/canadian-poker-legend-daniel-negreanu-played-a-few-rounds-against-phil-kessel-at-the-wsop-1.1133603
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ville5 on Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:26 pm

Phil and Daniel are friends from several years back. Daniel wasn't happy when the Leafs traded Phil lol.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins