A little consolation?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: A little consolation?

Postby Badger Bob on Thu May 24, 2018 5:59 am

Time for Fleury to do his thing.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby LimerickPensFan on Thu May 24, 2018 6:21 am

KG wrote:Tampa shutout in back to back games. Looked nervous. Vasilevsky was leaky. Not impressed. They don’t have the heart.

If Murray and Letang were good in the playoffs we would be off to Vegas right now....back next year!

Tampa's last goal was 33 seconds into the second period of game 5, so it's really close to 8 periods without a goal.

No saying they would have done that against the Pens, though.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby penny lane on Thu May 24, 2018 6:54 am

Tampa just froze- blinked, whatever in game 7. I'll think about those games the pens were leading going into the 3rd. Especially game 3 at home. BUT moving on.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pekkasteele on Thu May 24, 2018 6:54 am

This sucks, I wanted to be able to relax from NHL for a while now, but I can't as long as the Caps have the chance to win it all ...
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Badger Bob on Thu May 24, 2018 7:28 am

Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby stonewizard51 on Thu May 24, 2018 7:33 am

Here's to hoping he keeps owning the Caps.
stonewizard51
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby jreed on Thu May 24, 2018 8:29 am

Stars gotta star in a game 7. Stamkos kind of disappeared from game 5 -7. They needed him to step up and lead in game 7. I didnt see much out of him.....at least the couple of periods I watched.
jreed
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Malkintent on Thu May 24, 2018 11:54 am

At least this puts to rest the notion that a healthy Bolts team would've beaten the Pens in 2016.
Malkintent
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: Please help my dog https://www.gofundme.com/sumdm7d8

Postby Badger Bob on Thu May 24, 2018 12:20 pm

Besides rooting for Penguins West, kind of interesting that GM George McPhee can get back at his old employer with a SC Win.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby stonewizard51 on Thu May 24, 2018 5:27 pm

It's his 2nd team he's taken to the finals. Here's to this time being the winner.
stonewizard51
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghThing on Thu May 24, 2018 5:40 pm

Cow_Master66 wrote:Wasn’t game 6 Holdby’s first shutout the entire season?

Then puts up another the next game..... weird!

They could have put the Tutor Shooter in net the last 2 games.
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Southern Fan on Fri May 25, 2018 8:03 am

Funny how much officiating can affect a series

1. Offside goal on Tampa overturned in 2016

2. Icing not called in Detroit series in 2009. Talbot scores

3. Quick whistle for Murray against Nashville in 2017

4. Danny briers goal

5. Goals/ non goals in caps game 2. Wilson garbage in game 3 Slew foot, non penalty.

General, where games are called by Hudson Bay Rules
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby interstorm on Fri May 25, 2018 8:44 am

Southern Fan wrote:Funny how much officiating can affect a series

1. Offside goal on Tampa overturned in 2016

2. Icing not called in Detroit series in 2009. Talbot scores

3. Quick whistle for Murray against Nashville in 2017

4. Danny briers goal

5. Goals/ non goals in caps game 2. Wilson garbage in game 3 Slew foot, non penalty.

General, where games are called by Hudson Bay Rules

This is why, in my opinion, NHL hockey needs more goals (during 5 on 5 play) scored. The margin of error is so slim that officials literally decide many games -- either by ignoring a call they should have made (i.e. one they made a period or two before) or making a bad call that they shouldn't have made. In all honesty that is going to happen and while refs can and should be more uniform thus putting the accountability squarely on the offending player (as opposed to, "well it was a slash but you didn't call that before") we will never totally get away from bad calls -- every sport has them. What is needed is for there to be legitimate ability to overcome these calls.

Look at this chart:

http://images.tsn.ca/images/stories/201 ... 34x369.jpg

While it is for home teams I'd imagine road isn't too different (also for regular season and not playoffs but still I wouldn't expect much variation). What they states, assuming it is correct, is that if a team scores virtually immediately into a game they have a 70% chance of winning. This number slowly climbs until about 10 minutes left in the game when it takes a sharp curve up until it hits 100% (at the end of the game). Teams with a 2 goal margin are at WORST around 80% likely to win.

That is insane and speaks to virtually no ability to routinely come back against bad calls or mistakes that result in the puck in one's net (seeing this is it also a surprise that a lower-skilled team that works hard to not make mistakes, VGK, is in the finals?).
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Fri May 25, 2018 9:30 am

This is what the NHL wants, they want there to be as little separation as possible in the teams that play. You create to much scoring in the league teams can separate and teams can be eliminated.

NHL is a gate driven league, as long as more teams are in a "race" more tickets will sell. its that simple from a league perspective. Gary is going to say how exciting it is and the parity the league has. Its strategy... and I am sure the owners are not complaining their club has a shot every few years cause of the close standings. 5 lucky wins a year gets you into the playoffs.

This is also why the 3 point win will never come to be. It would create more separation. And why the 2pt win and 1 point OTL point will stay the same. That keeps the standings closer.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby LimerickPensFan on Fri May 25, 2018 9:37 am

no name wrote:This is what the NHL wants, they want there to be as little separation as possible in the teams that play. You create to much scoring in the league teams can separate and teams can be eliminated.

NHL is a gate driven league, as long as more teams are in a "race" more tickets will sell. its that simple from a league perspective. Gary is going to say how exciting it is and the parity the league has. Its strategy... and I am sure the owners are not complaining their club has a shot every few years cause of the close standings. 5 lucky wins a year gets you into the playoffs.

This is also why the 3 point win will never come to be. It would create more separation. And why the 2pt win and 1 point OTL point will stay the same. That keeps the standings closer.

I have no problem with parity. I remember the dark days when the Pens were basically a farm team for the teams with money in the league. It shouldn't be done through by limiting scoring, though. Once the skates hit the ice, the time to try to gain parity should go away.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Southern Fan on Fri May 25, 2018 10:38 am

So different than the NFL where if you can win in a weak division, you probably get a bye and two winner take all home games while you watch two teams beat each other up in the first round for the right to go on the road.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby LimerickPensFan on Fri May 25, 2018 11:28 am

Southern Fan wrote:So different than the NFL where if you can win in a weak division, you probably get a bye and two winner take all home games while you watch two teams beat each other up in the first round for the right to go on the road.

How'd that work for the Steelers? I'll give you a hint - I was there shivering my butt off for it.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Southern Fan on Fri May 25, 2018 12:50 pm

LimerickPensFan wrote:
Southern Fan wrote:So different than the NFL where if you can win in a weak division, you probably get a bye and two winner take all home games while you watch two teams beat each other up in the first round for the right to go on the road.

How'd that work for the Steelers? I'll give you a hint - I was there shivering my butt off for it.

Well, there are exceptions to the rule when Mike Tomlin coaches.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby LimerickPensFan on Fri May 25, 2018 12:55 pm

Southern Fan wrote:
LimerickPensFan wrote:

Well, there are exceptions to the rule when Mike Tomlin coaches.

Yeah, the only saving grace was that I then got to go across town and watch the Pens beat the Rangers.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins