2018 Summer Game Plan

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: 2018 Summer Game Plan

Postby Pruezy11881 on Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:26 am

FLPensFan wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Waiting to see the $ amount, but Kucherov's agent Dan Milstein (also Panarin's agent) just tweeted out that Kucherov just signed an 8 year extension with the Lightning.

UPDATE: Per CapFriendly, 9.5M AAV over 8 years.

Wow. How are they going to make all of this work?

Well, I would say this officially puts them out of the running for Erik Karlsson. They won't have the space to pay him after this year. Bolts have 65M in salary next year (19-20 season) for only 11 players.
--They'll need to pay Brayden Point next year (66 points this past season). He is an RFA after this season.
--Yanni Gourde is a UFA after this season, and Gourde put up 64 points this past season. He will need a new deal next year.
--Tampa only has 3 defensemen (Hedman, McDonagh, Sergachev) signed beyond this year.

So how do they make it work beyond this season.....
1) Find a taker for Ryan Callahan's 5.8M cap hit. Contract runs out after next season, but they can't afford him over Point and Gourde.
2) I'd assume they will let Coburn and Girardi walk after the season. They'll need to resign Stralman, Koekkoek, and Dotchin, and likely bring in a solid vet in case Koekkoek or Dotchin struggle.
3) I think they may have to consider moving Alex Killorn at some point as well. They have the core signed. They will need to decide to keep Killorn (who is going to be 29 heading into the season), or being able to resign Point (only 22) or keep Gourde. I think Killorn brings a balance of size, skill, scoring, and defense though that they don't have.
4) They could consider trading Yanni Gourde. He'll be 27 mid season, with 64 points last year in 82 games, he had only 22 NHL games under his belt prior. Maybe they deal Gourde to someone with the caveat that they have to take Callahan's salary too.

TB also has guys that will be pushing for spots on the roster if not this coming year, certainly for next. Cirelli already proved useful at the NHL level in his short stint. Taylor Raddysh will probably be in camp this season, as I would imagine Eric Cernak to be as well. All three of the guys have a pretty good pedigree and will be useful to TB in filling out a roster with all the higher salary players that they employ.
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:32 am

Regarding NHL contracts and teams in states with no state taxes:

So, there is a guy on Twitter who states he is an accountant, and has done tax returns for several hockey players in the past. His discussion/statements indicate that NHL players pay taxes to whatever city/state they are playing in on that particular day. So for example, Tampa, which has no State Tax, goes and plays a 3 game road trip in NY (Isles, Sabres, Rangers). The player is paying local/state taxes for each game played in that state. Just because a player signs with a team in a state that has no taxes doesn't mean that they pay no state taxes on the full amount of their contract. Says NHL players must pay taxes for whatever state/city they are working in, and a game constitutes working in that particular state/city, even though your employer may be based in another state.....your labor occurred in X state, and you have to pay taxes there.

So, you sign in Tampa, you are guaranteed at least 41 home games in the state that has no taxes. When you travel to games in places like Dallas and Nashville and Florida Panthers, you are paying no state taxes for games played there.

The same person said he isn't quite sure how the signing bonuses are taxed, because when he was doing NHL player taxes, the large signing bonuses that are occurring right now for players (Kucherov is getting 11M in signing bonus this season and only 1M base salary) weren't common when he was doing their taxes. He also mentioned signing bonuses screw up NHLPA escrow calculations, and in general weaken the players position going into a lockout (didn't expand on this though).
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:42 am

longtimefan wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Waiting to see the $ amount, but Kucherov's agent Dan Milstein (also Panarin's agent) just tweeted out that Kucherov just signed an 8 year extension with the Lightning.

Well, I would say this officially puts them out of the running for Erik Karlsson. They won't have the space to pay him after this year. Bolts have 65M in salary next year (19-20 season) for only 11 players.
--They'll need to pay Brayden Point next year (66 points this past season). He is an RFA after this season.
--Yanni Gourde is a UFA after this season, and Gourde put up 64 points this past season. He will need a new deal next year.
--Tampa only has 3 defensemen (Hedman, McDonagh, Sergachev) signed beyond this year.

1) Find a taker for Ryan Callahan's 5.8M cap hit. Contract runs out after next season, but they can't afford him over Point and Gourde.
2) I'd assume they will let Coburn and Girardi walk after the season. They'll need to resign Stralman, Koekkoek, and Dotchin, and likely bring in a solid vet in case Koekkoek or Dotchin struggle.
3) I think they may have to consider moving Alex Killorn at some point as well. They have the core signed. They will need to decide to keep Killorn (who is going to be 29 heading into the season), or being able to resign Point (only 22) or keep Gourde. I think Killorn brings a balance of size, skill, scoring, and defense though that they don't have.
4) They could consider trading Yanni Gourde. He'll be 27 mid season, with 64 points last year in 82 games, he had only 22 NHL games under his belt prior. Maybe they deal Gourde to someone with the caveat that they have to take Callahan's salary too.

https://www.spectorshockey.net/2018/07/ ... ucherov-2/

A different view from Spector's on Karlsson.

Chris Johnston

@reporterchris
Extending Nikita Kucherov does not take #TBLightning out of the Erik Karlsson trade talks. Quite the opposite; it gives them more certainty about their future.

Word is they continue to engage outside teams on a potential three-way deal with OTT.

It’s not surprising Kucherov got this big raise. After all, he left money on the table in his previous contract to give the Lightning more cap flexibility with the promise of a bigger reward later on. He could’ve sought much more but once again appears to have given up extra dollars to leave his club some wiggle room under the cap ceiling. Playing in Florida, which doesn’t have a state tax, also makes accepting $9.5 million annually a lot easier.

I won't say it will NEVER happen....but I just can't see how Tampa could fit Karlsson without gutting their own team. Ottawa is said to want Sergachev in the deal....he makes almost nothing this year and next year, so moving him as part of the deal doesn't help Tampa's cap situation. So Tampa would likely have to give up, lets say, Sergachev to Ottawa, find a 3rd team to take on Ryan Callahan AND still find a way to dump another 5M player like Killorn or Tyler Johnson somewhere.

Does is make sense to trade away Sergachev, Callahan, and Johnson/Killorn, plus a 1st, plus likely one other piece......just to add Karlsson. And even then, you still need to find money to resign Point and Gourde and Stralman, and a few others next season. Moving Callahan and Johnson/Killorn is simply to have enough cap space to sign Karlsson longer term. It doesn't open up needed cap space for the other players they need to resign.....it actually makes things worse because you've gotten rid of 3 players signed for 2019-2020 season and replaced with only 1. So, your at 10 players signed for 2019-2020 and roughly 65M cap hit.....15M to fill out 12 other roster spots????? With Point and Gourde likely in the 3.5-5.5M range on new deals?

Can't see it happening.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby longtimefan on Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:59 am

FLPensFan wrote:
longtimefan wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:

https://www.spectorshockey.net/2018/07/ ... ucherov-2/

A different view from Spector's on Karlsson.

Chris Johnston

@reporterchris
Extending Nikita Kucherov does not take #TBLightning out of the Erik Karlsson trade talks. Quite the opposite; it gives them more certainty about their future.

Word is they continue to engage outside teams on a potential three-way deal with OTT.

It’s not surprising Kucherov got this big raise. After all, he left money on the table in his previous contract to give the Lightning more cap flexibility with the promise of a bigger reward later on. He could’ve sought much more but once again appears to have given up extra dollars to leave his club some wiggle room under the cap ceiling. Playing in Florida, which doesn’t have a state tax, also makes accepting $9.5 million annually a lot easier.

I won't say it will NEVER happen....but I just can't see how Tampa could fit Karlsson without gutting their own team. Ottawa is said to want Sergachev in the deal....he makes almost nothing this year and next year, so moving him as part of the deal doesn't help Tampa's cap situation. So Tampa would likely have to give up, lets say, Sergachev to Ottawa, find a 3rd team to take on Ryan Callahan AND still find a way to dump another 5M player like Killorn or Tyler Johnson somewhere.

Does is make sense to trade away Sergachev, Callahan, and Johnson/Killorn, plus a 1st, plus likely one other piece......just to add Karlsson. And even then, you still need to find money to resign Point and Gourde and Stralman, and a few others next season. Moving Callahan and Johnson/Killorn is simply to have enough cap space to sign Karlsson longer term. It doesn't open up needed cap space for the other players they need to resign.....it actually makes things worse because you've gotten rid of 3 players signed for 2019-2020 season and replaced with only 1. So, your at 10 players signed for 2019-2020 and roughly 65M cap hit.....15M to fill out 12 other roster spots????? With Point and Gourde likely in the 3.5-5.5M range on new deals?

Can't see it happening.

I tend to agree with you, but Stevie Y has been in cap hell before nad navigated out. He has gotten his players to take discounts. Perhaps Karlsson has agreed to as well? It goes against conventional wisdom, but no income tax is big. I don't see it happening. I don't see how. But I've seen enough the last few years to not discount anything. He won't be able to keep everybody though.
longtimefan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:04 pm

longtimefan wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:I won't say it will NEVER happen....but I just can't see how Tampa could fit Karlsson without gutting their own team. Ottawa is said to want Sergachev in the deal....he makes almost nothing this year and next year, so moving him as part of the deal doesn't help Tampa's cap situation. So Tampa would likely have to give up, lets say, Sergachev to Ottawa, find a 3rd team to take on Ryan Callahan AND still find a way to dump another 5M player like Killorn or Tyler Johnson somewhere.

Can't see it happening.

I tend to agree with you, but Stevie Y has been in cap hell before nad navigated out. He has gotten his players to take discounts. Perhaps Karlsson has agreed to as well? It goes against conventional wisdom, but no income tax is big. I don't see it happening. I don't see how. But I've seen enough the last few years to not discount anything. He won't be able to keep everybody though.

No income tax is a big help, but not as big as people think with this new revelation from the prior page: http://www.letsgopens.com/scripts/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=68054&start=3150#p3159989
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby longtimefan on Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:43 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Regarding NHL contracts and teams in states with no state taxes:

So, there is a guy on Twitter who states he is an accountant, and has done tax returns for several hockey players in the past. His discussion/statements indicate that NHL players pay taxes to whatever city/state they are playing in on that particular day. So for example, Tampa, which has no State Tax, goes and plays a 3 game road trip in NY (Isles, Sabres, Rangers). The player is paying local/state taxes for each game played in that state. Just because a player signs with a team in a state that has no taxes doesn't mean that they pay no state taxes on the full amount of their contract. Says NHL players must pay taxes for whatever state/city they are working in, and a game constitutes working in that particular state/city, even though your employer may be based in another state.....your labor occurred in X state, and you have to pay taxes there.

So, you sign in Tampa, you are guaranteed at least 41 home games in the state that has no taxes. When you travel to games in places like Dallas and Nashville and Florida Panthers, you are paying no state taxes for games played there.

The same person said he isn't quite sure how the signing bonuses are taxed, because when he was doing NHL player taxes, the large signing bonuses that are occurring right now for players (Kucherov is getting 11M in signing bonus this season and only 1M base salary) weren't common when he was doing their taxes. He also mentioned signing bonuses screw up NHLPA escrow calculations, and in general weaken the players position going into a lockout (didn't expand on this though).

That's interesting, and does make the income tax less advantageous, but still an substantial advantage. I find his comment about SB weakening the player's position interesting. The general consensus is that all the SB are the player's leverage against a lockout or strike.
http://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nhl/news ... 8z6tdv1q58

Many players who inked new contracts this summer are receiving a portion, or, in some cases, the majority, of their 2020-21 salary in the form of a signing bonus. Though the current CBA is not scheduled to expire until a year later, it also contains a clause that either side can opt out the season prior, meaning, if that clause likely is invoked, a new agreement would need to be ratified prior to the 2020-21 season.

But if it's not, and games were to be missed, players who are owed signing bonuses would still be paid, even if games were canceled and the season was put on hold.

Most notably, Connor McDavid's mega-contract is almost entirely going to be paid out in signing bonuses. In 2020-21, McDavid's base salary is $1 million, and he's owed $12 million in signing bonuses, according to CapFriendly.com. Carey Price made a long-term commitment to stay in a Montreal Canadiens' jersey, and in that 2020-21 season Price also has a base salary of $1 million, supplemented by an $8.75 million signing bonus.

These contracts also make it much more difficult to buy out a player's contract because of the financial ramifications, and longer extensions signed in the summer of 2016 experienced similar breakdowns. Jamie Benn and the Stars re-upped with an eight-year extension that is paid primarily in signing bonuses, with his base salary dropping from $5 million to $1 million in 2020. Victor Hedman's extension with the Tampa Bay Lightning signed last summer has fewer signing bonuses, but the first appears in 2020, or right before a possible work stoppage.

I would have to disagree with his premise that these contracts weaken the player's position. They are using it as leverage, making sure the guys are being paid even if the league locks them out. In addition, even though you can buy out a contract for 2/3 of it's value, the SB is not effected. The bonus has to be paid out in it's entirety.
https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2016/07 ... tract.html

It’s in the buyout rules that the contract really holds value though, as – hinted at by the title – these contracts are basically buyout-proof. Under the current CBA, buyouts are calculated by taking two-thirds of the remaining salary owed, not including signing bonuses, and spreading it out over twice the remaining contract length. The new cap hit is determined by subtracting the savings from the average annual value of the deal which includes signing bonuses.

This means that if the Canucks were to want to buy out (Loui) Eriksson after say, the third year of his new deal, they’ll only be saving $333K of cap hit in 2020-21, an insignificant portion of the $6MM number. That last season of $3MM is a bit better for the Canucks (they would save $2MM of his cap hit), but structuring it this way almost guarantees that Eriksson will collect at least $35MM of his deal – more than 97%. It’s just not worth it to buy him out any sooner than his final year.
Last edited by longtimefan on Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
longtimefan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby LimerickPensFan on Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:53 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
longtimefan wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:I won't say it will NEVER happen....but I just can't see how Tampa could fit Karlsson without gutting their own team. Ottawa is said to want Sergachev in the deal....he makes almost nothing this year and next year, so moving him as part of the deal doesn't help Tampa's cap situation. So Tampa would likely have to give up, lets say, Sergachev to Ottawa, find a 3rd team to take on Ryan Callahan AND still find a way to dump another 5M player like Killorn or Tyler Johnson somewhere.

Can't see it happening.

No income tax is a big help, but not as big as people think with this new revelation from the prior page: http://www.letsgopens.com/scripts/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=68054&start=3150#p3159989

You get a much higher percentage of your games without income tax. You have 50% of your games at home. In Florida, you get another 5 or 6 games in-state. Pens players only get 10-12 games without state tax. Florida teams get 55-56. With the amount some of them are making, that 3+% could add up.
LimerickPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby longtimefan on Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:59 pm

I just checked the Pens contracts. Malkin signed his after the last lockout. His contract calls for no bonuses, except for $5M bonuses in both 2020-21. and 21-22. The dates the CBA expires, or is opted out of by one side early. Even the, the players were using a loophole to secure payment during a lockout.
longtimefan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:08 pm

The salary would not be a simple Sal/82=amount taxed for playing today. The best the greedy local politician scum can hope for is Sal/365.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:40 pm

Jim wrote:The salary would not be a simple Sal/82=amount taxed for playing today. The best the greedy local politician scum can hope for is Sal/365.

It definitely gets interesting......such as, how does it break down if you are injured? If you miss an entire season with a knee injury, for example.....your contract is guaranteed.....so, if you play for a Florida team, and never actually play a game in a season in another state/city, do you in turn end up making more money?
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:25 pm

David Pagnotta of 4th Period says talks are still ongoing regarding Karlsson, that Dallas, Tampa, Vegas, and SJ appear to be teams in the mix. Sounds like lots of complex issues holding up or preventing deals:
---Stars state they will not move Heiskenan. Period.
---Appears big issue is Karlsson still hasn't committed to signing an immediate extension with anyone. Huge blocker to deal right now.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby lemieuxReturns on Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:37 pm

FLPensFan wrote:David Pagnotta of 4th Period says talks are still ongoing regarding Karlsson, that Dallas, Tampa, Vegas, and SJ appear to be teams in the mix. Sounds like lots of complex issues holding up or preventing deals:
---Stars state they will not move Heiskenan. Period.
---Appears big issue is Karlsson still hasn't committed to signing an immediate extension with anyone. Huge blocker to deal right now.

Karlsson knows he makes more if he waits until next summer after the cap rises again. Its smart to wait. Besides, he gets to pick where he goes next year.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:52 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Jim wrote:The salary would not be a simple Sal/82=amount taxed for playing today. The best the greedy local politician scum can hope for is Sal/365.

It definitely gets interesting......such as, how does it break down if you are injured? If you miss an entire season with a knee injury, for example.....your contract is guaranteed.....so, if you play for a Florida team, and never actually play a game in a season in another state/city, do you in turn end up making more money?

You didn't work in that other city. You didn't "earn" your money there so they can not try to (well, they may try to) get taxes for your earnings when you were not earning there. But, it's not every city, and not every city does it the same.

If you arrive at a city today, play tomorrow and leave the day after... is that 3 days? 0.5+1+0.5? Just game day? If I don't pay Chicago for that one game a year that I am there, am I not allowed in Chicago anymore?

Teams track this stuff for the players and it is not really something that the player worries about, at all.

Wait until the politicians get REALLY greedy and if you have a conference in another city for a "normal" job... and they find a way to track that and tax your earning for those days...
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby LimerickPensFan on Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:20 pm

Jim wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

You didn't work in that other city. You didn't "earn" your money there so they can not try to (well, they may try to) get taxes for your earnings when you were not earning there. But, it's not every city, and not every city does it the same.

If you arrive at a city today, play tomorrow and leave the day after... is that 3 days? 0.5+1+0.5? Just game day? If I don't pay Chicago for that one game a year that I am there, am I not allowed in Chicago anymore?

Teams track this stuff for the players and it is not really something that the player worries about, at all.

Wait until the politicians get REALLY greedy and if you have a conference in another city for a "normal" job... and they find a way to track that and tax your earning for those days...

Never happen. It would keep people from having conferences in those cities.
LimerickPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:47 pm

Source tells Athletic Montreal the Canadians have officially told Pacioretty they will not sign him to an extension, and plan to trade him as soon as possible. Pacioretty had maintained that he wanted to stay, and switched agents from Pat Brisson to Allan Walsh last month.

If true, more great work by Marc Bergevin to have it leak out the Habs have no intention of signing him. Should drive up the trade return. :roll:
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:32 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Source tells Athletic Montreal the Canadians have officially told Pacioretty they will not sign him to an extension, and plan to trade him as soon as possible. Pacioretty had maintained that he wanted to stay, and switched agents from Pat Brisson to Allan Walsh last month.

If true, more great work by Marc Bergevin to have it leak out the Habs have no intention of signing him. Should drive up the trade return. :roll:

Pacioretty and Petry for Letang and Hagelin
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_CT on Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:47 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Source tells Athletic Montreal the Canadians have officially told Pacioretty they will not sign him to an extension, and plan to trade him as soon as possible. Pacioretty had maintained that he wanted to stay, and switched agents from Pat Brisson to Allan Walsh last month.

Montreal could get more for Pacioretty only, no reason for them to throw in Petry essentially for one year of Hagelin.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:02 pm

pens_CT wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

Montreal could get more for Pacioretty only, no reason for them to throw in Petry essentially for one year of Hagelin.

I dont know, Bergevin isnt a very good GM and he has already tipped his hand that he has to move him. If I'm GMJR I am working on something involving Pacioretty and Letang.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby drewcpappas on Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:21 pm

Jim wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

Players have to pay taxes to the city that the game is played. I don't know if this is for games played in Canada or not. I know this for a fact because they talk about it on the NFL Network. If a player is in a city for 3 day's he does not have to pay taxes on the other 2, just the day the game is played
drewcpappas

Postby ville5 on Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:11 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:

GMMB will be lucky to get that much. I think he over played his hand here and waited too long. Pacioretty has been in the rumor mill well over a year now. After seeing the money and term thrown around yet again this off-season, Patches would be smart and hold out for UFA. If he has any kind of decent season, he's going to get paid. Especially if the Cap rises again.
And if he doesn't re-sign before a trade, MB won't get anything of significant value.
ville5
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby KG on Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:44 pm

Definitely see JR having interest in Patch. Him and Skinner are still on the radar.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BONVIE on Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:59 pm

One more off the list. Patrick Maroon to St. Louis for one year at 1.75 million.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/2405 ... -year-deal
BONVIE
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:34 am

BONVIE wrote:One more off the list. Patrick Maroon to St. Louis for one year at 1.75 million.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/2405 ... -year-deal

Maroon deal was a bit of a unique situation. He is apparently from the area and has family there. From what I have heard, he's been trying to get to STL for a few years, and left more money/term on the table to go there.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby penny lane on Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:57 am

I value Kris Letang more than Max Pacioretty. :D Way more. No deal! Now if GMJR can get him for someone else... maybe.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Great58 on Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:00 am

FLPensFan wrote:

How about in supplemental discipline (not that any of these guys who have done this YET are big suspension risks, but...)? Doesn't a player who is suspended lose his game checks for the period of time that he is out? If so, Tom Wilson would definitely benefit from a signing bonus-laden contract with low annual salary.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins