2018 Summer Game Plan

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: 2018 Summer Game Plan

Postby pens_CT on Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:51 am

thehockeyguru wrote:With all this Karlsson drama GMJR has to be calling these teams and offering them Letang

I seriously doubt it. I think Rutherford has zero interest in moving Letang unless somebody was really going to overpay. Based on the season that 58 just had, with all of the mental & physical errors, do you really see any team overpaying and signing up for the balance of his contract? Rutherford expects a much better Letang in 18-19 with a full off- season of training, or at least that's the company line.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:15 am

ville5 wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:
ville5 wrote:
Antonio wrote:I would've signed duclair for 650k. Strange.

Tells me they weren't interested. You can bury that.

They were apparently interested. They offered a two way while CLB offered a one way. Sounded like Duclair thought he had more opportunity there.

Doesn't make sense. If you're interested, make the one way offer. If he sucks, send him down. Either someone claims him or his cap hit is buried. No loss either way.

Which means they weren't really intersted
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sjnhiils on Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:31 am

It still seems as though the Pens are intent on putting Simon with Crosby! So does he play the right side with Guentzel on the left or do you put him on the left and move Guentzel down with Malkin? It certainly affects all 4 lines now. Maybe go with

Simon-Crosby-Hornqvist
Guentzel-Malkin-Rust
Hagelin-Brassard-Kessel
Cullen-Sheahan-ZAR
If Sullivan ever decides to put Kessel back with Malkin, those two with Guentzel could be a dominating line!
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sjnhiils on Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:41 am

sjnhiils wrote:It still seems as though the Pens are intent on putting Simon with Crosby! So does he play the right side with Guentzel on the left or do you put him on the left and move Guentzel down with Malkin? It certainly affects all 4 lines now. Maybe go with

Simon-Crosby-Hornqvist
Guentzel-Malkin-Rust
Hagelin-Brassard-Kessel
Cullen-Sheahan-ZAR
If Sullivan ever decides to put Kessel back with Malkin, those two with Guentzel could be a dominating line!

Forgot about Sprong? Would rotate him through 4th line depending on the opponent.If Simon stays with Crosby there has got to be a trade coming somewhere with one of the forwards.
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Skatingpen on Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:41 am

Am I missing something with Simon? He just seems average to me, not really good at anything particular
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pens_CT on Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:44 am

sjnhiils wrote:It still seems as though the Pens are intent on putting Simon with Crosby! So does he play the right side with Guentzel on the left or do you put him on the left and move Guentzel down with Malkin? It certainly affects all 4 lines now. Maybe go with

Simon-Crosby-Hornqvist
Guentzel-Malkin-Rust
Hagelin-Brassard-Kessel
Cullen-Sheahan-ZAR

I haven't read anything that says the Pens are intent on putting Simon with Crosby. The only thing that cam out is that Simon is training with 87 this summer, but I wouldn't assume that means anything regarding line combinations.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens_CT on Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:45 am

Skatingpen wrote:Am I missing something with Simon? He just seems average to me, not really good at anything particular

Nothing special would be a good way to describe his game.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sjnhiils on Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:09 am

pens_CT wrote:

Simon-Crosby-Hornqvist
Guentzel-Malkin-Rust
Hagelin-Brassard-Kessel
Cullen-Sheahan-ZAR

I haven't read anything that says the Pens are intent on putting Simon with Crosby. The only thing that cam out is that Simon is training with 87 this summer, but I wouldn't assume that means anything regarding line combinations.

That's what TIOPS is saying! Before it is discounted again, it does seem to be the source of many rumors here!
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:48 am

murphydump55 wrote:
ville5 wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:
ville5 wrote:
Antonio wrote:I would've signed duclair for 650k. Strange.

Tells me they weren't interested. You can bury that.

They were apparently interested. They offered a two way while CLB offered a one way. Sounded like Duclair thought he had more opportunity there.

Doesn't make sense. If you're interested, make the one way offer. If he sucks, send him down. Either someone claims him or his cap hit is buried. No loss either way.

Pretty sure a certain % remains against your cap if he’s on a one way.

For 18-19, the first $1.025M will not count against the cap on buried salaries. Someone makes $1M and you bury him, no cap hit. Someone makes $1.1M and you bury hin, $75,000 cap hit. Etc...
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby largegarlic on Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:35 pm

pens_CT wrote:
Skatingpen wrote:Am I missing something with Simon? He just seems average to me, not really good at anything particular

Nothing special would be a good way to describe his game.

Yeah, I lean towards the pessimistic assessment of Simon. I think to stick in the NHL, you generally have to be above average at something, and he hasn't shown that he is. And he's also 24 in a month, not 19.

On the other hand, I do see where the more optimistic assessment comes from. He hasn't had that many games in the NHL and has shown the ability to get good opportunities; he just hasn't finished them for the most part. He's also shown pretty good hands on some occasions, but again, hasn't turned that into production.

I'd bet on him ending up back in Europe, but I'd give him maybe a 10% chance of being an effective NHLer.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby longtimefan on Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:56 pm

https://pittsburghhockeynow.com/sources ... -unlikely/

Kingerski saying Pacioretty deal unlikely, which is what I assumed.

Despite recent national reports, multiple sources at different levels of the Pittsburgh Penguins organization have confirmed to Pittsburgh Hockey Now the Penguins are not in serious talks to acquire Montreal Canadiens left wing and captain Max Pacioretty.

The sources conceded the Penguins did make contact with Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin about Pacioretty. The Canadiens ask for Pacioretty was too rich for Penguins General Manager Jim Rutherford and the talks did not gain traction or advance past preliminary stages.

https://www.spectorshockey.net/2018/07/ ... ly-8-2018/

Spector's has a bunch on the Karlsson saga and a few other little tidbits. Justin Faulk's name has come up a lot, and this might give some insight on the value the Canes are placing on him.

Despite the addition of defenseman Brandon Manning, Powers believes the Blackhawks still must upgrade their blueline for 2018-19. “The Carolina Hurricanes are still expected to move Justin Faulk, who would be an upgrade for the Blackhawks as a right-handed defenseman. The cost may be too much though, as multiple reports have said the Hurricanes want Brandon Saad in exchange for Faulk.”
longtimefan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:01 pm

longtimefan wrote:https://pittsburghhockeynow.com/sources-penguins-max-pacioretty-trade-unlikely/

Despite recent national reports, multiple sources at different levels of the Pittsburgh Penguins organization have confirmed to Pittsburgh Hockey Now the Penguins are not in serious talks to acquire Montreal Canadiens left wing and captain Max Pacioretty.

The sources conceded the Penguins did make contact with Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin about Pacioretty. The Canadiens ask for Pacioretty was too rich for Penguins General Manager Jim Rutherford and the talks did not gain traction or advance past preliminary stages.

Spector's has a bunch on the Karlsson saga and a few other little tidbits. Justin Faulk's name has come up a lot, and this might give some insight on the value the Canes are placing on him.

Despite the addition of defenseman Brandon Manning, Powers believes the Blackhawks still must upgrade their blueline for 2018-19. “The Carolina Hurricanes are still expected to move Justin Faulk, who would be an upgrade for the Blackhawks as a right-handed defenseman. The cost may be too much though, as multiple reports have said the Hurricanes want Brandon Saad in exchange for Faulk.”

I have a feeling if Rutherford called Montreal about Pacioretty, then the Canadians asked for Guentzel, and that ended the conversation.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby brwi on Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:45 pm

FLPensFan wrote:- You also have to remember that, while some guys are ok doing it, traditionally, a players handedness dictates what wing they play. RH players typically RW, and LH players LW. There are some exceptions like David Perron, Kovalev back in the day.....but I'd guess maybe only about 10-15% of the wingers in the league, at best, play their "off-wing."

This is of course very true, and it's also true that a righty playing LW is much rarer than vice-versa, especially in North American hockey. There are some real studs that were lefties and played RW: Jagr, Bure, Hossa, Bondra, Bellows, Kovy, St.Louis, even Recchi, etc. The opposite? Not too damn many. Kovalchuk spent some time as a LW. Besides Ovi and Perron, much to mention. Real rare to see a righty playing LW.

- The other thing with LW.....it is traditionally the more "defensive" wing position in terms of coverage responsibilities. That's why when you look around the league, traditionally, your high scoring wingers are more often RWs. There are obviously players that put up points on the LW, and if you really dig into those players, more often than not you are going to find that those players are defensively responsible.

:thumb: Benn would be pretty much the standard these days of what you dream of having in a LW.
Last edited by brwi on Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ville5 on Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:46 pm

pens_CT wrote:
longtimefan wrote:https://pittsburghhockeynow.com/sources-penguins-max-pacioretty-trade-unlikely/

I have a feeling if Rutherford called Montreal about Pacioretty, then the Canadians asked for Guentzel, and that ended the conversation.

I would give nothing of value for Pacioretty, except Letang. There's no way we can afford him or Skinner after this season. They both should get around $7 million if the market is an indicator.
ville5
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ville5 on Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:14 pm

To paraphrase pitthockeynow- if Pens can get duclair for close to the $1.2 million he made last year they want to sign him. Nowhere close to 1.2 and no duclair. PHN= not a source!
ville5
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby longtimefan on Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:43 pm

ville5 wrote:To paraphrase pitthockeynow- if Pens can get duclair for close to the $1.2 million he made last year they want to sign him. Nowhere close to 1.2 and no duclair. PHN= not a source!

I don't mind PHN. He missed the mark with DuClair obviously. Bob McKenzie is probably the most respected guy in the business, and he reported that Jack Johnson could get $6M AAV. They can only report what their sources leak. It's just become so much more sensational because of the need for information to fill all the blogs and such. They've got space to fill, so they fill it. I think TIOPS reports a ton of crap to get clicks and subscriptions, but I've seen them on point once in a while too. I watched Josh Yohe incite a summer's long rumor that the Pens were going try and bring Staal back by metioning in a 4th of July podcast. He was filling time. The next day, DK pointed out the Canes were poor, and likely would be glad to move Staal's salary. Then you started seeing Staal to Pens rumors all over the place. It's a competitive business. They have to report something. Sometimes the information misses the mark.

Quick story: The summer after the Pens won the Cup, Kevin Stevens signed an offer sheet with the Bruins. The big news nationally was the Eric Lindros saga, with him refusing to report to Quebec. Lindros was easily the highest rated prospect since Lemieux. Pittsburgh media was going crazy over whether the Penguins would match the Stevens offer. John Steigerwald reported on KDKA-TV that the Pens were considering signing Stevens, then shipping him to Quebec with Paul Coffey to acquire Lindros.

When confronted about the rumor, Craig Patrick said it was complete fiction. He had floated it to see if any reporter would take the bait. Now he knew who to be careful around.
longtimefan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby longtimefan on Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:12 pm

brwi wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:- You also have to remember that, while some guys are ok doing it, traditionally, a players handedness dictates what wing they play. RH players typically RW, and LH players LW. There are some exceptions like David Perron, Kovalev back in the day.....but I'd guess maybe only about 10-15% of the wingers in the league, at best, play their "off-wing."

This is of course very true, and it's also true that a righty playing LW is much rarer than vice-versa, especially in North American hockey. There are some real studs that were lefties and played RW: Jagr, Bure, Hossa, Bondra, Bellows, Kovy, St.Louis, even Recchi, etc. The opposite? Not too damn many. Kovalchuk spent some time as a LW. Besides Ovi and Perron, much to mention. Real rare to see a righty playing LW.

- The other thing with LW.....it is traditionally the more "defensive" wing position in terms of coverage responsibilities. That's why when you look around the league, traditionally, your high scoring wingers are more often RWs. There are obviously players that put up points on the LW, and if you really dig into those players, more often than not you are going to find that those players are defensively responsible.

:thumb: Benn would be pretty much the standard these days of what you dream of having in a LW.

Here's an article I found on ESPN Insider written in 2011. Yes, I have ESPN Insider, as I follow other sports as well. Regardless of who wrote it, it's interesting, especially the differences depending on where you were trained. It addresses the whole right shot vs left shot phenomenon. It's dated, but I thought it gave a lot of insight.

http://www.espn.com/blog/nhl-draft/insi ... t/_/id/143

In many hockey cultures, parents and coaches will encourage kids to use their weak hand on the bottom of the stick. Why? Because, as Christiansen says, "If a right-hand dominant guy becomes a right-hand shot, he's not going to do things with his back hand." In other words, it pushes ambidexterity, which is crucial in hockey.

Christiansen, who now runs a hockey school, has taken a special interest in the way athletes move. And he's thought a lot about handedness in hockey, including the importance of pushing kids to use their weak hand by putting it on the bottom.

But not everyone does this. In fact, a recent New York Times piece shows that the majority of American people shoot right-handed while a majority of Canadian people shoot left-handed. Both countries have a similar percentage of left-handed people, so this indicates that Canadians are correcting this natural inclination more often than Americans. And this effect passes all the way to the NHL:

Even though about 60 percent of American people shoot right, that percentage drops to 46 percent among NHL draftees. This might partially be because shooting with your weak hand gives you an advantage. But chances are, if you grow up in a place that encourages you to shoot with your weak hand, you're in a much more hockey-centric environment, which certainly helps you reach the NHL.

Another interesting finding is that international players are left shots 75 percent of the time, which is far and away the highest ratio. Christiansen thinks ambidexterity might be encouraged more in Europe. But in addition, only the elite international players are drafted in the NHL, and those guys tend to shoot with their weak hand, which also skews the numbers.

As a whole, about 64 percent of NHL players shoot left and 36 percent shoot right -- and both groups are creepily identical: They are 6-foot-1, 196 pounds. They are drafted, on averaged, 127th overall. And their statistical performance is nearly identical as well.

In the NHL, though, we don't really notice handedness. At some point, both Christiansen and I were left stumped when trying to figure out which way Mario Lemieux shot. (Right.) But it can have a huge effect on not just who makes it to the league, but how well these players do. And the biggest advantage can be found when we look at guys who play "off wing."

My first question to Christiansen and former NHL scout Grant Sonier was: If there is this huge advantage, why don't more players play off wing?
The basic answer: It's really hard.

Going down the ice, it's easier to handle the puck on the forehand side. Defensemen will likely be coming from the middle of the ice -- not from the boards, along which you are handling the puck. In addition, when you're puckhandling in the offensive zone, it's much easier on your strong side because the puck glides into the inside of the hockey stick's curve, not the outside. So to play the off wing, guys not only need to be ambidextrous, but they have to have great touch to handle the puck on the outside of the curve.

As Christiansen says, "They are really talented, skilled people."

But why is it better to play on the off wing? It gives you more options.

A left-shot player on the right wing can skate down the ice and, depending on the defenseman's position, he can choose to go wide toward the boards or he can cut back to the center of the ice. Now, anybody can cut back to the center -- but when you're playing your strong wing, it means you can't put a forehand shot on goal. However, on the off wing, you have that forehand shot. In addition, you're head is looking up-ice and you have the puck in the middle of the rink, which makes you a dangerous player.

"When it comes to attacking the offensive blueline," Christiansen says, "and you're trying to create offense, how can you argue not being on your weak side?"

Both Sonier and Christiansen said this was a very European phenomenon, and they're right: only about 2.5 percent of domestic skaters play on their off wing, compared to about 15 percent of international players. But players don't always stay in their lanes, so Christiansen wondered how many times players subconsciously took advantage of this situation by shifting to their off wing. While it's tougher for a winger to get to the other side of the ice, there are certainly centers who may shift to their off wing to gain an advantage; Pavel Datsyuk comes to mind.
longtimefan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:57 pm

Great article from Aaron Portzline on Panarin.....a Q&A with Daniel Milstein, Panarin's agent. https://theathletic.com/424405/2018/07/08/does-artemi-panarin-want-to-spend-the-next-8-years-in-columbus-a-qa-with-agent-daniel-milstein/

For those without a subscription, the highlights are:

--Panarin isn't sure if he wants to commit to playing in Columbus. (It sounds like everything is fine with the team aspect, it is more about Panarin not wanting to live in Columbus).

--Agent says no parameters on a contract have been discussed. This isn't about money. It's also really not about Bob or other players. It simply comes down to Panarin not wanting to know if this is the city he wants to be in for the long-term.

--Panarin was pretty adament he wanted to let the team no this information well ahead of the draft. He doesn't want to screw the team over. His general stance is, I'm not sure if I am ready to commit here long-term. You may think about trading me, that's fine, but if you don't trade me, just no there is no guarantee I am going to stay.

--There's no "list of teams" Panarin has said he will talk to. Anything out there to that effect is all speculation. Nobody thusfar has come to CBJ GM or Milstein asking to talk about a potential trade or contract.

The way I read this, Panarin just isn't a fan of the city of Columbus. He played in St. Petersburg and Moscow before coming over to the US. To me, it sounds like small, mid-west type towns just aren't his speed and to his liking. He'd feel more at home in a NY, LA, Miami, Toronto type of bigger city. Truly sounds like he is trying to do right by the team and make sure that if he decides he definitely doesn't want to be there, that the team doesn't lose him for nothing.

Panarin, by the way, is a right-handed LW.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby longtimefan on Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:16 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Great article from Aaron Portzline on Panarin.....a Q&A with Daniel Milstein, Panarin's agent. https://theathletic.com/424405/2018/07/08/does-artemi-panarin-want-to-spend-the-next-8-years-in-columbus-a-qa-with-agent-daniel-milstein/

--Panarin isn't sure if he wants to commit to playing in Columbus. (It sounds like everything is fine with the team aspect, it is more about Panarin not wanting to live in Columbus).

--Agent says no parameters on a contract have been discussed. This isn't about money. It's also really not about Bob or other players. It simply comes down to Panarin not wanting to know if this is the city he wants to be in for the long-term.

--Panarin was pretty adament he wanted to let the team no this information well ahead of the draft. He doesn't want to screw the team over. His general stance is, I'm not sure if I am ready to commit here long-term. You may think about trading me, that's fine, but if you don't trade me, just no there is no guarantee I am going to stay.

--There's no "list of teams" Panarin has said he will talk to. Anything out there to that effect is all speculation. Nobody thusfar has come to CBJ GM or Milstein asking to talk about a potential trade or contract.

The way I read this, Panarin just isn't a fan of the city of Columbus. He played in St. Petersburg and Moscow before coming over to the US. To me, it sounds like small, mid-west type towns just aren't his speed and to his liking. He'd feel more at home in a NY, LA, Miami, Toronto type of bigger city. Truly sounds like he is trying to do right by the team and make sure that if he decides he definitely doesn't want to be there, that the team doesn't lose him for nothing.

When Portzline was on with Starkey last week, he attributed the Panarin situation as one of the main reasons Torts went off on JJ and JR. The organization is struggling with an inferiority complex. They had the Caps down 2-0, yet still haven't evere won a playoff series, the star player isn't sure the city is for him and seems to want out, and the UFA you lost cited going to a team with a winning culture. You can see why they're sensitive right now.
longtimefan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ville5 on Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:02 pm

longtimefan wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Great article from Aaron Portzline on Panarin.....a Q&A with Daniel Milstein, Panarin's agent. https://theathletic.com/424405/2018/07/08/does-artemi-panarin-want-to-spend-the-next-8-years-in-columbus-a-qa-with-agent-daniel-milstein/

When Portzline was on with Starkey last week, he attributed the Panarin situation as one of the main reasons Torts went off on JJ and JR. The organization is struggling with an inferiority complex. They had the Caps down 2-0, yet still haven't evere won a playoff series, the star player isn't sure the city is for him and seems to want out, and the UFA you lost cited going to a team with a winning culture. You can see why they're sensitive right now.

Didn't Panarin make a comment that he chose Chicago because of the "fast" women?
ville5
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Skatingpen on Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:07 am

pens_CT wrote:

Simon-Crosby-Hornqvist
Guentzel-Malkin-Rust
Hagelin-Brassard-Kessel
Cullen-Sheahan-ZAR

Take it for what it is worth, Madden stated on his show that “he knows for a fact” that Crosby likes and wants Simon on his wing because of his ability to pass in the neutral zone
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:53 am

Skatingpen wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

Simon-Crosby-Hornqvist
Guentzel-Malkin-Rust
Hagelin-Brassard-Kessel
Cullen-Sheahan-ZAR

Take it for what it is worth, Madden stated on his show that “he knows for a fact” that Crosby likes and wants Simon on his wing because of his ability to pass in the neutral zone

Well, you add in the fact that Crosby asked Simon to train with him this summer....and Madden's point isn't hard to believe. But Simon if moving up to the 1st line, then you create all kinds of issues throughout your lineup. Simon to Sid's line mean you are either bumping Guentzel off that line, or burying Sprong on 4th line.....neither of which is ideal. Guentzel shouldn't be moved as long as the Sid-Jake chemistry is there.

It's just odd that this team may have Simon jump over Sprong and ZAR on the youth depth chart, for no apparent reason. He's not a good offensive production guy, and he's not a good defensive forward. If they end up bumping Sprong to 4th line because of Simon, they'll have nobody to blame but themselves when Sprong is a bust and has no value to anyone, including Pittsburgh.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby sil on Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:55 am

Skatingpen wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

Simon-Crosby-Hornqvist
Guentzel-Malkin-Rust
Hagelin-Brassard-Kessel
Cullen-Sheahan-ZAR

It's worth about 'tree fiddy.'

sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby jreed on Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:06 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Skatingpen wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

Simon-Crosby-Hornqvist
Guentzel-Malkin-Rust
Hagelin-Brassard-Kessel
Cullen-Sheahan-ZAR

Well, you add in the fact that Crosby asked Simon to train with him this summer....and Madden's point isn't hard to believe. But Simon if moving up to the 1st line, then you create all kinds of issues throughout your lineup. Simon to Sid's line mean you are either bumping Guentzel off that line, or burying Sprong on 4th line.....neither of which is ideal. Guentzel shouldn't be moved as long as the Sid-Jake chemistry is there.

It's just odd that this team may have Simon jump over Sprong and ZAR on the youth depth chart, for no apparent reason. He's not a good offensive production guy, and he's not a good defensive forward. If they end up bumping Sprong to 4th line because of Simon, they'll have nobody to blame but themselves when Sprong is a bust and has no value to anyone, including Pittsburgh.

On paper it seems like it would be a terrible move. Guentzel needs to stay where he is. I really can't see why theyd even consider going into the season with anything other than Guentzel/Crosby/Hornqvist and Hagelin/Malkin/Kessel in the top 6. Then on the 3rd line Brassard centering Sprong and try out options at LW. The only thing I could see in the top 6 is if they wanted to try Brassard at LW in place of Hagelin.
jreed
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby LimerickPensFan on Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:47 pm

jreed wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
Skatingpen wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

Simon-Crosby-Hornqvist
Guentzel-Malkin-Rust
Hagelin-Brassard-Kessel
Cullen-Sheahan-ZAR

On paper it seems like it would be a terrible move. Guentzel needs to stay where he is. I really can't see why theyd even consider going into the season with anything other than Guentzel/Crosby/Hornqvist and Hagelin/Malkin/Kessel in the top 6. Then on the 3rd line Brassard centering Sprong and try out options at LW. The only thing I could see in the top 6 is if they wanted to try Brassard at LW in place of Hagelin.

I hate picking lines before the season even starts. Basically, line combinations rarely last longer than the printout prior to the game. Saying that, I'm wondering if they're thinking of moving Hornqvist and Guentzel to third line and having Sid with (two kids) Simon and Sprong. Have Haggy and Kessel flanking Brassard, and have fun with the fourth line.
LimerickPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins