2018 Summer Game Plan

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 2018 Summer Game Plan

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:16 pm

FLPensFan wrote:I kind of think that Rutherford is looking to move Rust, Sheary, Simon, and maybe Hunwick. I'm basing part of this off the rumored Domi pieces offered. I would hate to see Rust go, as I like that he can play both wings, even if he produces better on the RW. But, the Penguins can likely find a quality player for the 4th line at half that cost.

Simon is a dime a dozen to me. He shows flashes, but isn't consistent enough in any one area to have a lot of value.

It will be interesting the rest of this week as things heat up. Excited to see how this team starts shaping up at the draft.

What does Rutherford think he is going to get for that sorry group? We arent going to trade all our bad players for everyone elses good players.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jim on Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:17 pm

Something that people tend to forget while using their Jump to Conclusions Mat... the Pens have 10 RFAs in WBS. Plus 6 UFAs there too.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Daniel on Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:46 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:What does Rutherford think he is going to get for that sorry group?

$6.5M in cap space, probably some draft picks, and some open roster spots for competition?
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:49 pm

Also, this is a rumor, but hearing the cap number is now expected to come out on Wednesday, and hearing the cap will be either around 80.25M or 82M. The difference in the two numbers is, one is players using only 3% of their inflator clause (low end) to using the max 5% inflator (high end). We shall see if that holds true.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:51 pm

Daniel wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:What does Rutherford think he is going to get for that sorry group?

$6.5M in cap space, probably some draft picks, and some open roster spots for competition?

Winner, winner chicken dinner.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:52 pm

Jim wrote:Something that people tend to forget while using their Jump to Conclusions Mat... the Pens have 10 RFAs in WBS. Plus 6 UFAs there too.

1 less RFA, as Penguins resigned Oscar Lindberg (part of Brassard trade) for 2 years, 650K, two way deal.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Daniel on Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:07 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Daniel wrote:

I think guys like Rust, Sheary, Simon, Kuhnhackl are the type of players that get replaced by players on ELC. I like Rust a lot and think he's a pretty good utility player, but is far from untouchable. Same with Kuhnhackl and Sheary. I hope Simon can get better, but eh.

We've seen the plateau for all 4 players and why not see what guys like ZAR, DiPauli, Angello, Sprong etc. can do. I think it won't be that hard to replace the 37 goals those 4 player got last year.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:21 pm

Daniel wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
Daniel wrote:

I think guys like Rust, Sheary, Simon, Kuhnhackl are the type of players that get replaced by players on ELC. I like Rust a lot and think he's a pretty good utility player, but is far from untouchable. Same with Kuhnhackl and Sheary. I hope Simon can get better, but eh.

We've seen the plateau for all 4 players and why not see what guys like ZAR, DiPauli, Angello, Sprong etc. can do. I think it won't be that hard to replace the 37 goals those 4 player got last year.

The way I see it,Hornqvist, Kessel, and Sprong have the top 3 RW spots. Guentzel has the top LW spot, and ZAR SHOULD be given every chance to play as the 3rd line LW. I'd like to see an upgrade to the 2nd line LW. This is why I typically think Sheary is the player going out, because if you acquire a more consistent LW player for the 2nd line, I think Hagelin fits better on the 4th line.

I'd like to see Blueger, DiPauli, and Angello be the first callups this season.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:30 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Daniel wrote:

If you think someone is going to take on Hunwick or Sheary without a underachiever coming back our way I think you will be mistaken. Both are overpaid and will likely garner little to no interest.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Daniel on Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:43 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
Daniel wrote:

If you think someone is going to take on Hunwick or Sheary without a underachiever coming back our way I think you will be mistaken. Both are overpaid and will likely garner little to no interest.

Maybe, maybe not. All it takes is one team to have an interest in either player. Heck, Marcus Kruger has been worthless since going to Carolina and they got out from under while saving about $1M for one year of Martinook.

edit, they retained $300,000 for Marcus Kruger, but still about $700,000 cap space and Kruger is worthless.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hatrick on Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:07 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Barry Trotz not returning to coach the Capitals. From what I am hearing, he was on the hot seat, lowballed, hardballed, whiffleballed, etc, and was not happy with the way he was treated by management and/or their lack of faith in him.

https://www.nhl.com/capitals/news/statement-from-the-washington-capitals-on-barry-trotz/c-299100932

I think the Caps were in a weird place after winning.... their GM wanted a new guy and anything other than the cup was the excuse they were going to use to not re-sign him. After he wins it, the only way now was to make him want to leave. Trotz actually helped the GM here. Now the GM is not the bad guy and the fans do not revolt.

i don't think they(or him) really expected it to be the year so once it started to became a possibility it gave them a problem(a good one to have though). Not sure if that has happened to any championship team remotely recently, I would doubt it. Such a weird situation.
Hatrick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Hatrick on Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:11 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
Daniel wrote:

they should both garner a decent amount of interest depending on the asking price.

I could see the pens getting some combination of underachievers or picks back mostly(not a high pick but like a 3rd or 4th). Not a player who is a major contributor on their current team unless they are just a small piece of the deal.
Hatrick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:20 am

You seem to be glass half full on getting anything of value for Simon, Sheary, and Hunwick. I just dont see it. Rust though may have some value but if he is gonna play 4th line minutes I'd rather say the cap space and opt for a legit 2LW
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby penny lane on Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:23 am

John Shannon
‏Verified account @JSportsnet
16m16 minutes ago
Mike Hoffman is a SJ Shark.

Doesn't say what is coming to the sens.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: “Some people are so much sunshine to the square inch.” ~WW

Postby Pruezy11881 on Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:26 am

penny lane wrote:
John Shannon
16m16 minutes ago

https://www.tsn.ca/senators-trade-hoffman-to-sharks-1.1116853

I don't think the return is great at all, but that's just me...
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:27 am

Pruezy11881 wrote:
penny lane wrote:
John Shannon
16m16 minutes ago

Nice deal for the Sharks
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:07 am

thehockeyguru wrote:
Pruezy11881 wrote:
penny lane wrote:
John Shannon
16m16 minutes ago

Nice deal for the Sharks

Sharks paid a bag of magic beans for Hoffman. If he comes out innocent on this Karlsson stuff it will be an even bigger steal. Kane, Hoffman, Pavelski....they are loading up.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby sil on Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:13 am

Sharks are loaded for bear.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ville5 on Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:15 am

thehockeyguru wrote:
Pruezy11881 wrote:
penny lane wrote:
John Shannon
16m16 minutes ago

Nice deal for the Sharks

#@!#. I would've given Sheary and Rust. They're both better than Boedeker lol.
Then Hoffman's psycho gf couldve pushed Letang into asking for a trade. All problems solved. Ha.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Penspal on Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:46 am

I'd hate to see Rust traded, but getting back someone better would ease the pain. With that being said, if the rumors of proposed deals are true, Pens don't feel Rust has much value on trade market. I suspect, they are looking to avoid paying him more in future, so maybe the talks (not even sure they have started) are NOT going to be easy?
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:48 am

ville5 wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
Pruezy11881 wrote:
penny lane wrote:
John Shannon
16m16 minutes ago

Nice deal for the Sharks

#@!#. I would've given Sheary and Rust. They're both better than Boedeker lol.
Then Hoffman's psycho gf couldve pushed Letang into asking for a trade. All problems solved. Ha.

I like this logic
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby steelershark on Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:07 am

Penspal wrote:I'd hate to see Rust traded, but getting back someone better would ease the pain. With that being said, if the rumors of proposed deals are true, Pens don't feel Rust has much value on trade market. I suspect, they are looking to avoid paying him more in future, so maybe the talks (not even sure they have started) are NOT going to be easy?

Rust would have to have value, two time Stanley Cup winner with some big goals in the runs too. But he is like Max Talbot, good hockey player for 3rd line role but salaries for these type players are way too high. Ateam needing every $ for the cap must let these players go.
steelershark
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:13 am

steelershark wrote:
Penspal wrote:I'd hate to see Rust traded, but getting back someone better would ease the pain. With that being said, if the rumors of proposed deals are true, Pens don't feel Rust has much value on trade market. I suspect, they are looking to avoid paying him more in future, so maybe the talks (not even sure they have started) are NOT going to be easy?

Rust would have to have value, two time Stanley Cup winner with some big goals in the runs too. But he is like Max Talbot, good hockey player for 3rd line role but salaries for these type players are way too high. Ateam needing every $ for the cap must let these players go.

The Pens can't get into the habit of paying bottom 6 players 3-4 million per. AHL should be able to produce young hungry players to fill those spots. The money due Sheary and Rust should be used to fill the void on Malkin's LW until ZAR proves he's ready for the top 6.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:17 am

TIOPS is toying with my emotions, there's a piece up regarding the trade interest in Letang.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby steelershark on Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:20 am

thehockeyguru wrote:
steelershark wrote:

The Pens can't get into the habit of paying bottom 6 players 3-4 million per. AHL should be able to produce young hungry players to fill those spots. The money due Sheary and Rust should be used to fill the void on Malkin's LW until ZAR proves he's ready for the top 6.

Agree
steelershark
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins