2018 Summer Game Plan

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: 2018 Summer Game Plan

Postby Jim on Thu May 10, 2018 12:37 pm

pens_CT wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Here's the thing......the Penguins are going to have to move a big piece to make any type of medium to large moves to upgrade the roster. Let's look at the math.

Let's say the cap increases from 75M to 78M (which is considered the low end of the expected increase). 3M increase in cap space:
---Hornqvist is returning with 1.050M more in salary. Now down to 2M in cap space increase.
---Rust is going to need to be resigned. If you go on the low end, let's say 2M for 2 years, that is still a 1.4M increase in salary. Now you have about 600K left in new cap space.
---Oleksiak is going to need to be resigned. Let's say 1.5M is fair for him. That's roughly a 600K increase in salary. You've now used up that 3M in space already.
---Sheahan needs resigned. Let's say we get him on the low end, 2.275M for 2 years. adding another 200K to the cap space, -200K
---Sprong needs to be resigned. Should be minimal, maybe 800K maximum. Only about 100K more than he makes now. -300K
---Kuhnhackl needs to be resigned. Around 700K minimum, or 75K increase. -375K
---Remove Carter Rowney, saves 612K, back to about positive 250K.

With resigns of current players, a 3M cap increase is going to be gone in a flash. Let's say a 6M JVR is our target. You trade 3M Sheary and 2.25M Hunwick (gotta be just for picks), you are still short, and going to be slammed up against the cap. You move Hagelin over Sheary, you can fit in JVR, but still pretty slammed against the cap.

I think this is part of the reason Kessel's name is being thrown around already. If the cap goes up to 80M instead of only 78M, fine, you have some extra room and are jammed up against the cap, but you also haven't acquired another bottom pairing defenseman, either.

So if you move Kessel, and replace his cap hit with JVR and Sprong do you think we are better? The only way you are better in my opinion is if you get a younger player, with a lower cap hit in return for Kessel, that has some upside either to play in the top 9, or someone who helps improve the blue line.

If you are making moves for cap hit purposes (with consideration to on ice return), the first person that you move is Hagelin and it's not even a close discussion.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby lemieuxReturns on Thu May 10, 2018 12:44 pm

Jim wrote:
pens_CT wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Here's the thing......the Penguins are going to have to move a big piece to make any type of medium to large moves to upgrade the roster. Let's look at the math.

Let's say the cap increases from 75M to 78M (which is considered the low end of the expected increase). 3M increase in cap space:
---Hornqvist is returning with 1.050M more in salary. Now down to 2M in cap space increase.
---Rust is going to need to be resigned. If you go on the low end, let's say 2M for 2 years, that is still a 1.4M increase in salary. Now you have about 600K left in new cap space.
---Oleksiak is going to need to be resigned. Let's say 1.5M is fair for him. That's roughly a 600K increase in salary. You've now used up that 3M in space already.
---Sheahan needs resigned. Let's say we get him on the low end, 2.275M for 2 years. adding another 200K to the cap space, -200K
---Sprong needs to be resigned. Should be minimal, maybe 800K maximum. Only about 100K more than he makes now. -300K

With resigns of current players, a 3M cap increase is going to be gone in a flash. Let's say a 6M JVR is our target. You trade 3M Sheary and 2.25M Hunwick (gotta be just for picks), you are still short, and going to be slammed up against the cap. You move Hagelin over Sheary, you can fit in JVR, but still pretty slammed against the cap.

I think this is part of the reason Kessel's name is being thrown around already. If the cap goes up to 80M instead of only 78M, fine, you have some extra room and are jammed up against the cap, but you also haven't acquired another bottom pairing defenseman, either.

So if you move Kessel, and replace his cap hit with JVR and Sprong do you think we are better? The only way you are better in my opinion is if you get a younger player, with a lower cap hit in return for Kessel, that has some upside either to play in the top 9, or someone who helps improve the blue line.

If you are making moves for cap hit purposes (with consideration to on ice return), the first person that you move is Hagelin and it's not even a close discussion.

I would have agreed with this all season until about February. Then things started looking better. Teams we have beat in the past always complained about our speed. Loosing Hagelin would be a big blow to that side of the equation.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Thu May 10, 2018 12:46 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:
Jim wrote:If you are making moves for cap hit purposes (with consideration to on ice return), the first person that you move is Hagelin and it's not even a close discussion.

I would have agreed with this all season until about February. Then things started looking better. Teams we have beat in the past always complained about our speed. Loosing Hagelin would be a big blow to that side of the equation.

Hagelin certainly has his place, but the $4M space would be better used elsewhere (compared to other Pen's cap hits)
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Steve on Thu May 10, 2018 1:03 pm

I don't see any realistic options that would upgrade the Phil of the 06 and 07 playoff runs. So the real question is, what do the Pens think we'll get out of Phil in the playoffs next year? (this may be impossible to answer, but they do have alot more insight into what happened this spring)

I didn't buy into any of the trade rumors regarding Kessel last summer, but I get the feeling he's going to be moved this summer.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Steve on Thu May 10, 2018 1:10 pm

Re Hagelin, The Pens only have one more season under contract so hopefully they don't have to move him, I know he's overpaid but the Pens are a different team when he's in the lineup and flying around and causing chaos.

I really hope they will try to extend him at a more favorable cap hit.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Thu May 10, 2018 1:12 pm

pens_CT wrote:

Yes and no. Obviously from a scoring standpoint, Kessel>>>JVR. But the Penguins are overloaded at RW with Hornqvist, Kessel, Sprong, and Rust (who can play both wings but prefers RW), AND the Penguins are pretty thin at LW with Guentzel, Sheary, Hagelin, Kuhnhackl, and ZAR.

I think this year, if you believe the tired/fatigue narrative, is the perfect reason why returning a large number of players isn't always a good thing. If you ask me, there are a few players on this team that are fairly one dimensional......Kessel, Sheary, and Kuhnhackl.

Kessel just set his season high point total. That's great, but, we also no that Kessel isn't exactly a defensive wizard. I don't think JVR is either, but he is a little more well rounded. JVR will play physical at times as well, which Kessel also isn't going to do. You know who scored a career high goal total this year? JVR, with 36, two more than Kessel's 34. It also is now being reported by Matt Gajtka (after Yohe had a piece yesterday) about how the Penguins may not be happy "selfishness" of his iron man streak over the team. Yohe said yesterday he knows last season, Sullivan asked Cole and Kessel to sit and rest for the regular season finale against the Rangers. Cole sat. Kessel would not because of his streak. There is some growing concern that Kessel is pushing himself to play through things because of the streak, even knowing that while he's dressed and playing he isn't giving you much on the ice....which hurts the team.

Really hard to know what his value is or who wants to trade for player X, but, let's use our friend Jason Botteril. If the Penguins could sign JVR for 6M, what would you think if the Penguins traded Phil to Buffalo for Sam Reinhart and Jake McCabe? Reinhart plays RW and can play center. He's been very up and down with Buffalo, often playing on the 4th line this season, and on just about every line. But he did end up with 50 points, 25 goals, 25 assists. Getting a good, young 22 year old kid who doesn't have to live up to his #2 overall draft status in Pittsburgh.....his 50 points every year would be fine on this team for now (and give you another young piece for post 87 and 71). McCabe is another young defenseman, 24 years old. Probably a #4/#5 guy, which would be a help if put him on the bottom pairing with Oleksiak. McCabe makes 1.6M next year then is an RFA. Reinhart is an RFA, who I would guess is going to be looking for 4M or so. You get two players for 1 Kessel, and save about 1M in cap space

Guentzel-Crosby-Sprong
JVR-Malkin-Hornqvist
ZAR-Brassard-Reinhart
Hagelin-Sheahan-Rust

Sprong and Reinhart could be swapped depending on how they are playing, but adding a guy like Reinhart to the mix, adding some younger guys to your pool to build a little now for post-Sid and Geno era, is a good thing.

Trade Sheary and Hunwick simply for picks. Try and get a 2019 3rd, 2018 4th, and 2019 6th for those guys, along with maybe an AHL level prospect that doesn't need to be on the big club this season.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby no name on Thu May 10, 2018 1:49 pm

I am not moving Sheary until Sprong proves without a doubt he can play a top line position with us. Lets not just to soon that this kid will be Mike Sullivans Simon.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Great58 on Thu May 10, 2018 1:54 pm

It also is now being reported by Matt Gajtka (after Yohe had a piece yesterday) about how the Penguins may not be happy "selfishness" of his iron man streak over the team. Yohe said yesterday he knows last season, Sullivan asked Cole and Kessel to sit and rest for the regular season finale against the Rangers. Cole sat. Kessel would not because of his streak. There is some growing concern that Kessel is pushing himself to play through things because of the streak, even knowing that while he's dressed and playing he isn't giving you much on the ice....which hurts the team.

I hate it when speculation and theory takes over for factual reporting. The pay sites are the worst, because there is a demand for content even when there is no confirmed story. The Penguins "may not be happy" becomes accepted as fact and perpetuated endlessly as such. For God's sake, they're citing a game from April 2017 as their evidence of this? If Rutherford and Sullivan wanted Kessel to sit, they should have had him sit instead of get passive aggressive about it and contemplate trades as a result of their unhappiness. They are the GM and the coach. Unless they really weren't unhappy with him playing all 82 games, except in hindsight. But it's still THEIR mistake.
Last edited by Great58 on Thu May 10, 2018 2:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Badger Bob on Thu May 10, 2018 1:58 pm

no name wrote:I am not moving Sheary until Sprong proves without a doubt he can play a top line position with us. Lets not just to soon that this kid will be Mike Sullivans Simon.

GMJR???? :shock:
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Thu May 10, 2018 2:13 pm

no name wrote:I am not moving Sheary until Sprong proves without a doubt he can play a top line position with us. Lets not just to soon that this kid will be Mike Sullivans Simon.

Sprong doesn't have to play top line. He could just as easily be on the 3rd line to start, and be made to EARN top 6 minutes......which is really the way it SHOULD BE. It also would have been nice to have gotten Sprong in some games down the stretch. Maybe he wasn't ready still, but get a look at where he is.....did he improve from his earlier callup, etc.

I don't see Sheary as a Penguins next year. He's the first one to go in my book, followed by Hunwick. I'd actually like to see the Penguins resign Hagelin after the season, for about 2.5M. Keeping Hagelin as a 4th liner that can move up the lineup as needed to help create matchup problems would be good, and help the team keep the speed element. His production is 3rd/4th line worthy....not top 6 worthy. At 2.5M as a bottom 6 guy, he's great.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby no name on Thu May 10, 2018 2:19 pm

Badger Bob wrote:

GMJR???? :shock:

Oh snap, you figured me out.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DelPen on Thu May 10, 2018 2:21 pm

With the depth we could have down the middle I’m fine trying Sprong with ZAR and Brassard to open camp. Sprong was not bad defensively and clearly he will be the guy to score the goals and as long as he can not screw up chipping pucks out he’d be ahead of some other wings. That leaves a top 6 of pretty much what we saw to open the Philly series and a 4th with Rust, Sheahan, Simon and Kuhnhackl.

On paper of that lineup is healthy it’s very balanced and talented. Move Sheary To upgrade the defense and call it a summer.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby jpvs2k6 on Thu May 10, 2018 2:21 pm

FLPensFan wrote:I don't see Sheary as a Penguins next year. He's the first one to go in my book, followed by Hunwick. I'd actually like to see the Penguins resign Hagelin after the season, for about 2.5M. Keeping Hagelin as a 4th liner that can move up the lineup as needed to help create matchup problems would be good, and help the team keep the speed element. His production is 3rd/4th line worthy....not top 6 worthy. At 2.5M as a bottom 6 guy, he's great.

Same with Sheary.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Rust go. Not that I want the Penguins to get rid of him -- but if you figure Kessel, Sprong and Hornqvist all have to play the right side, you need to move from the log jam of people who can only play RW.
jpvs2k6
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pens_CT on Thu May 10, 2018 2:25 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

Yes and no. Obviously from a scoring standpoint, Kessel>>>JVR. But the Penguins are overloaded at RW with Hornqvist, Kessel, Sprong, and Rust (who can play both wings but prefers RW), AND the Penguins are pretty thin at LW with Guentzel, Sheary, Hagelin, Kuhnhackl, and ZAR.

I think this year, if you believe the tired/fatigue narrative, is the perfect reason why returning a large number of players isn't always a good thing. If you ask me, there are a few players on this team that are fairly one dimensional......Kessel, Sheary, and Kuhnhackl.

Kessel just set his season high point total. That's great, but, we also no that Kessel isn't exactly a defensive wizard. I don't think JVR is either, but he is a little more well rounded. JVR will play physical at times as well, which Kessel also isn't going to do. You know who scored a career high goal total this year? JVR, with 36, two more than Kessel's 34. It also is now being reported by Matt Gajtka (after Yohe had a piece yesterday) about how the Penguins may not be happy "selfishness" of his iron man streak over the team. Yohe said yesterday he knows last season, Sullivan asked Cole and Kessel to sit and rest for the regular season finale against the Rangers. Cole sat. Kessel would not because of his streak. There is some growing concern that Kessel is pushing himself to play through things because of the streak, even knowing that while he's dressed and playing he isn't giving you much on the ice....which hurts the team.

Really hard to know what his value is or who wants to trade for player X, but, let's use our friend Jason Botteril. If the Penguins could sign JVR for 6M, what would you think if the Penguins traded Phil to Buffalo for Sam Reinhart and Jake McCabe? Reinhart plays RW and can play center. He's been very up and down with Buffalo, often playing on the 4th line this season, and on just about every line. But he did end up with 50 points, 25 goals, 25 assists. Getting a good, young 22 year old kid who doesn't have to live up to his #2 overall draft status in Pittsburgh.....his 50 points every year would be fine on this team for now (and give you another young piece for post 87 and 71). McCabe is another young defenseman, 24 years old. Probably a #4/#5 guy, which would be a help if put him on the bottom pairing with Oleksiak. McCabe makes 1.6M next year then is an RFA. Reinhart is an RFA, who I would guess is going to be looking for 4M or so. You get two players for 1 Kessel, and save about 1M in cap space

Guentzel-Crosby-Sprong
JVR-Malkin-Hornqvist
ZAR-Brassard-Reinhart
Hagelin-Sheahan-Rust

Sprong and Reinhart could be swapped depending on how they are playing, but adding a guy like Reinhart to the mix, adding some younger guys to your pool to build a little now for post-Sid and Geno era, is a good thing.

Trade Sheary and Hunwick simply for picks. Try and get a 2019 3rd, 2018 4th, and 2019 6th for those guys, along with maybe an AHL level prospect that doesn't need to be on the big club this season.

Kessel has a modified NTC /NMC per Cap Geek which limits you to eight teams in order to make a deal. Don't know whether Buffalo would be on it, but that is going to tie Rutherford's hands a bit regarding any possible return.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby dark_forces on Thu May 10, 2018 3:18 pm

Any insight into the Yohe "who will stay and who will go" athletic article?
dark_forces
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Thu May 10, 2018 3:24 pm

dark_forces wrote:Any insight into the Yohe "who will stay and who will go" athletic article?

Broke players down into categories in terms of likely to stay or go:

Untouchables: Crosby, Malkin, Hornqvist, Murray, Dumoulin
Almost untouchable: Schultz, Maatta
Young and likely to stick around: Guentzel, Sprong, ZAR, DeSmith, Ruhwedel
Restricted and likely staying put: Sheahan, Simon, Kuhnhackl, Oleksiak
Staying put.....almost certainly: Kris Letang
Staying put.....I think: Kessel, Rust, Brassard, Hagelin, Jarry
Listening to offers: Sheary, Hunwick
So long: Carter Rowney
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby dark_forces on Thu May 10, 2018 3:31 pm

Thanks for sharing. That makes sense to me. From what Rutherford said about having players that other teams want, I wouldn't be shocked to see Rust packaged with Hunwick (or something like that) in return for a solid defenseman, which would really round out the defensive depth by pushing guys to where they belong.
Personally, I would keep Rust, but he would certainly fall into the "players other teams want" category. I'd take a 3rd rounder this year in return for Sheary. Of course, a 2nd would be great! You never know.
In some way, we need to recoup a few draft picks after so readily trading away so many 1sts.
dark_forces
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby LimerickPensFan on Thu May 10, 2018 3:39 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
dark_forces wrote:Any insight into the Yohe "who will stay and who will go" athletic article?

Broke players down into categories in terms of likely to stay or go:

Untouchables: Crosby, Malkin, Hornqvist, Murray, Dumoulin
Almost untouchable: Schultz, Maatta
Young and likely to stick around: Guentzel, Sprong, ZAR, DeSmith, Ruhwedel
Restricted and likely staying put: Sheahan, Simon, Kuhnhackl, Oleksiak
Staying put.....almost certainly: Kris Letang
Staying put.....I think: Kessel, Rust, Brassard, Hagelin, Jarry
Listening to offers: Sheary, Hunwick
So long: Carter Rowney

Actually, Ruhwedel isn't all that young - he's 28. I think he's still likely to stick around.
DeSmith is also 26.

I would honestly put Letang in the untouchables. I see absolutely no chance of him being moved.
LimerickPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Thu May 10, 2018 4:11 pm

dark_forces wrote:Thanks for sharing. That makes sense to me. From what Rutherford said about having players that other teams want, I wouldn't be shocked to see Rust packaged with Hunwick (or something like that) in return for a solid defenseman, which would really round out the defensive depth by pushing guys to where they belong.
Personally, I would keep Rust, but he would certainly fall into the "players other teams want" category. I'd take a 3rd rounder this year in return for Sheary. Of course, a 2nd would be great! You never know.
In some way, we need to recoup a few draft picks after so readily trading away so many 1sts.

Yeah, at first I was like no way on Rust, even when someone here mentioned it.....but, it's a numbers game. Rutherford has already said Sprong will be here next season, and with no more waiver exemption for him, he pretty much must be on the NHL roster next season. Without any additions, that's Hornqvist, Kessel, Sprong, and Rust down the RW. Sprong shouldn't be on the 4th line. I'm OK with Rust on line 4, but I'm not sure the Penguins are.....and if they aren't moving Kessel, well, Rust makes some sense. He is a very well rounder player, with some speed, some grit, some offense, and good defense.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Penspal on Thu May 10, 2018 6:14 pm

Great58 wrote:
It also is now being reported by Matt Gajtka (after Yohe had a piece yesterday) about how the Penguins may not be happy "selfishness" of his iron man streak over the team. Yohe said yesterday he knows last season, Sullivan asked Cole and Kessel to sit and rest for the regular season finale against the Rangers. Cole sat. Kessel would not because of his streak. There is some growing concern that Kessel is pushing himself to play through things because of the streak, even knowing that while he's dressed and playing he isn't giving you much on the ice....which hurts the team.

I hate it when speculation and theory takes over for factual reporting. The pay sites are the worst, because there is a demand for content even when there is no confirmed story. The Penguins "may not be happy" becomes accepted as fact and perpetuated endlessly as such. For God's sake, they're citing a game from April 2017 as their evidence of this? If Rutherford and Sullivan wanted Kessel to sit, they should have had him sit instead of get passive aggressive about it and contemplate trades as a result of their unhappiness. They are the GM and the coach. Unless they really weren't unhappy with him playing all 82 games, except in hindsight. But it's still THEIR mistake.

Maybe this is why he was run out of town in Toronto? The Toronto news media (mostly hacks/quacks) would not leave him alone, that didn't help either. So let's start this piece of fan fiction..... Reaves was traded because Phil didn't like getting scared (that will be the next story).
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Thu May 10, 2018 7:06 pm

Kessel doesn't make the decision on whether he plays or not in any given game. So anybody using his streak as a selfish reason just go ahead and punch yourself in the face, do us all a favor.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby brwi on Thu May 10, 2018 8:16 pm

With Waddell taking over as GM in Carolina, possibilities emerge for getting a steal of a deal, even if Carolina has a history of not wanting to spend to the max and new owner also seeming like he might not want to see salary costs going up too much either. They have some future bucks tied up in young d-men Pesce and Slavin and you have to believe they will make a serious offer to RFA Hanifan. Faulk at 4.8mil for the next 2 yrs is rumored to possibly being on the block. While even Waddell MAYBE isn't stupid enough to do a swap of RD Letang-Faulk, Canes really need right wingers and the Pens happen to have one in Sheary. You get Faulk, you have an instant replacement for Letang and you dump that salary and save bucks and get a 26 yr old of similar skills(and sometimes defensive drawbacks too), cool.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitt87 on Thu May 10, 2018 10:06 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:What would your game plan be?

Mine:
-Trade Letang. He is still an asset some team out there covets. But we don’t need what he brings to be successful. His style is more important to a team with less talent up front.

-Sign a veteran goalie. Murray has looked like trash at times. He needs to be pushed.

-Give Sprong a roster spot. If not almost certain he leaves for another league.

-Trade Kessel. It’s time. He has been great but the time has come.

-Brassard? Who knows. I don’t even know if he is good or bad or part of the plan or what.

This is the Flyers version of the Pens off season plan, right?
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Maestro on Fri May 11, 2018 2:38 am

'Tang and Kes for OEL and Domi.
Carlson 56 over 7
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pekkasteele on Fri May 11, 2018 2:45 am

Last summer GMJR said he would have to change the team to get some fresh legs, and more hunger, and a 3c, well, that did not really happen, in D, the only "Fresh legs" was Hunwick, and we got, finally a 3c AND a 4c, but not much else happened.

I think, hope, that we see some bigger things happen this summer, and that includes trading some of the bigger names, maybe Letang, Kessel, Sheary etc.

Kessel is the Neal of 2014, half this board hated the trade for Hörnqvist, said we would never win anything when we lost Neal, he was an "elite winger", well, we got something in return and that piece, well, has helped a lot. We did not trade Neal because he sucked, we traded him because we needed something else, and we got it, and got better with it. And I think we have to do the same with Kessel this year.

Then, I still hope that we trade Letang, we need to get younger there, and more stable, no more Brain-dead giveaways, and better players for #5-6-7.
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins