2018 Summer Game Plan

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 2018 Summer Game Plan

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon May 21, 2018 11:05 am

brwi wrote:As far as having a #1 dman in Letang and needing another dman very similar to replace him if he's moved, Vegas is doing quite nicely with their #1A dman being Nate Schmidt, and #1B for PP, Colin Miller. Neither of those 2 are along the lines of a star top pairing dman. While I don't think Schultz is top pairing either, a replacement for Letang can be found that doesn't cost 7mil+. So you might lose points and some minutes(too many) logged every game, but you also lose his defensive liabilities and the very real chance that he's starting to fade, plus you get more cap room. If he stays and Sully keeps over-using him, he's going to fade even quicker coming up next season.

That is such a great point. Vegas has put together a defensive unit without a big name star and have advanced to the Cup final. They've done it mainly with a commitment to great 2 way hockey. Their defensemen are making the simple play and playing responsible D. Their forwards are back checking like crazy. Reminiscent of both Detroit and Pittsburgh cup teams.

People wrote off Pittsburgh winning the Cup without Letang as an exception rather than the rule. Now Vegas is doing it in similar fashion. Makes you wonder if the recipe for success is big, mobile, defense first defensemen who have a bit of offensive ability sprinkled in.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby no name on Mon May 21, 2018 11:43 am

Ok my question is of all the options you got with Letang, if I could assure you he will regain his form and be the best Kris Letang we were used to, would you still want him on your roster? is a replacement needed then?? I am not saying that will happen I am just wondering where you put Kris at his best with the other "elite" defensemen in the league. by"you" I mean all the posters on the board.

Since the 17' cup run and seeing his struggles this season I would cut ties with him as if you got a good strong 6 defensemen you don't need that 7.5 million million guy on the blue line, that money could be split for more depth. With Jaques Martin distributing the ice time and Gonchar developing these guys he might not be needed.
Last edited by no name on Mon May 21, 2018 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby dark_forces on Mon May 21, 2018 11:48 am

FLPensFan wrote:
largegarlic wrote:
DelPen wrote:Really, the only moves needed are parlaying Sheary and Hunwick into a better defensemen, resign the rest of the RFA’s.

Simon on that third line with Brassard and Sprong would work. We just need to have a team on the same page ready for the playoffs and that wasn’t the case this year.

Yeah, I'd pretty much be fine with this approach too. If someone is willing to overpay in a trade for Letang or Kessel, I'd be willing to entertain the offer, but other than that, I would say the highest probability of winning the Cup next year comes from more or less standing pat and hoping guys like Kessel, Letang, Brassard, and Murray rebound from below standard playoff performances.

I'm still pretty dead set that LW position needs upgraded. The LW position is weak after Guentzel, and our top 3 RWs can't play the LW if needed. That's a recipe for failure IMO.

Hagelin should not be a top 6 option. It's great to get him with Malkin every once in awhile, but he doesn't produce enough to be a top 6 mainstay. His speed helps occassionally, but not enough in my book to be in the top 6.

It doesn't have to be a Kane, JVR, or Skinner....but the team needs a better option at LW.....otherwise, you might as well keep Sheary. But without a LW pickup, the team is very thin on who steps up. Guentzel goes down, you have nobody on LW that I see as dependable enough to get even a guaranteed 30 points.

LW and bottom pairing d-man. I like De Haan and Hickey for UFA d-men, and Hickey should be cheaper by at least 1M over De Haan.

I brought this up before - and I don't know the injury situation - but Nikolai Kumelin is a UFA LW, is only 31 and has a deep history with Malkin. Plus, he has produced in this league, but has been largely hurt the past two years on Long Island. As a cheap, 1 year option, assuming Sheary is dealt for a pick/prospect, you put him on a line with Malkin, of course, and likely Kessel. It's just a thought, but could be an under the radar signing that pays dividends even if he only scores 10-12 goals and plays responsibly defensively. It also moves Hagelin to 3rd line left wing with Brassard and possibly Rust or Sprong on RW, another possibly effective line.
dark_forces
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Jim on Mon May 21, 2018 1:04 pm

dark_forces wrote:Who is the most likely penguin to be gone from the roster come training camp?

Rowney
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Mon May 21, 2018 1:10 pm

no name wrote:Ok my question is of all the options you got with Letang, if I could assure you he will regain his form and be the best Kris Letang we were used to, would you still want him on your roster? is a replacement needed then?? I am not saying that will happen I am just wondering where you put Kris at his best with the other "elite" defensemen in the league. by"you" I mean all the posters on the board.

Since the 17' cup run and seeing his struggles this season I would cut ties with him as if you got a good strong 6 defensemen you don't need that 7.5 million million guy on the blue line, that money could be split for more depth. With Jaques Martin distributing the ice time and Gonchar developing these guys he might not be needed.

I don't think the Penguins will trade Letang this summer. I think the Penguins will give him every opportunity to bounce back after a full summer of training.

However, I can't say I would be disappointed if Letang had a great season next year....and the Penguins moved him in the summer of 2019. Have a good season to drive up his stock, and acquire a good young forward or defenseman in return.

I think everyone knows my stance that, while I want this team to win more Cups.....I think they have 1 or 2 left in them.....I also want this team to remain competitive and get younger. Malkin, Letang, Crosby, Kessel, Hornqvist are all over 30 years old. The Penguins as a team can't afford to keep all of those players together for much longer. You don't need to move them all, but move 1 or 2 out to teams that are a veteran away from being a playoff contender, and get a younger guy in return to add in with Guentzel, Maatta, Murray, etc.

Sterotypes and trends get broken all the time. Going into last year, everyone pointed to how rare it was to win the Cup without a bonafide #1 defenseman, yet the Penguins lost Letang and still won the Cup. Now this year, you have Vegas, who does not have a bonafide #1 defenseman, is in the Cup finals and a good bet to win the Cup.

The trend is starting to show that, instead of having one #1 guy making 7-9M a season, and having some bottom guys making under 1M or 1-2M, you can be just as successful with a top 6 all getting around 4M. You just need to find the right guys for your system.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Jim on Mon May 21, 2018 1:19 pm

Don't want Perron.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Mon May 21, 2018 1:23 pm

dark_forces wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
largegarlic wrote:
DelPen wrote:Really, the only moves needed are parlaying Sheary and Hunwick into a better defensemen, resign the rest of the RFA’s.

Simon on that third line with Brassard and Sprong would work. We just need to have a team on the same page ready for the playoffs and that wasn’t the case this year.

Yeah, I'd pretty much be fine with this approach too. If someone is willing to overpay in a trade for Letang or Kessel, I'd be willing to entertain the offer, but other than that, I would say the highest probability of winning the Cup next year comes from more or less standing pat and hoping guys like Kessel, Letang, Brassard, and Murray rebound from below standard playoff performances.

I'm still pretty dead set that LW position needs upgraded. The LW position is weak after Guentzel, and our top 3 RWs can't play the LW if needed. That's a recipe for failure IMO.

Hagelin should not be a top 6 option. It's great to get him with Malkin every once in awhile, but he doesn't produce enough to be a top 6 mainstay. His speed helps occassionally, but not enough in my book to be in the top 6.

It doesn't have to be a Kane, JVR, or Skinner....but the team needs a better option at LW.....otherwise, you might as well keep Sheary. But without a LW pickup, the team is very thin on who steps up. Guentzel goes down, you have nobody on LW that I see as dependable enough to get even a guaranteed 30 points.

LW and bottom pairing d-man. I like De Haan and Hickey for UFA d-men, and Hickey should be cheaper by at least 1M over De Haan.

I brought this up before - and I don't know the injury situation - but Nikolai Kumelin is a UFA LW, is only 31 and has a deep history with Malkin. Plus, he has produced in this league, but has been largely hurt the past two years on Long Island. As a cheap, 1 year option, assuming Sheary is dealt for a pick/prospect, you put him on a line with Malkin, of course, and likely Kessel. It's just a thought, but could be an under the radar signing that pays dividends even if he only scores 10-12 goals and plays responsibly defensively. It also moves Hagelin to 3rd line left wing with Brassard and possibly Rust or Sprong on RW, another possibly effective line.

He was a hot name to the Penguins for 2-3 years. For me, his time has passed, and I would not take the chance. Penguins are already very tight up on the cap, that I think there are better gambles than Kulemin. He hasn't really had a decent season in 7 or 8 years, when he put up 50 points.

13-14 season, 70 games, 9 goals, 20 points
14-15 season, 82 games, 15 goals, 31 points
15-16 season, 81 games, 9 goals, 22 points
16-17 season, 72 games, 12 goals, 23 points

He turns 32 in July. I just don't see him as a major upgrade, and more risk than reward.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Mon May 21, 2018 1:24 pm

Jim wrote:Don't want Perron.

That's ok, I don't think the Penguins want him back either.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Malkintent on Mon May 21, 2018 1:28 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Malkintent wrote:How much do you all think Kane and JVR will sign for? It seems unlikely for the Pens to get them but if they could unload Hagelin and Sheary for picks/cheap players, they should be able to sign one of them and a cheap plug who can't be more invisible in the bottom six than Sheary was.

JVR I'm thinking about 6M. I think that is the appropriate price for Kane as well, but there continue to be rumors he is asking for the moon. Never seen anything from Kane or his agent in writing about high salary demands. I also think if SJ has any interest, Kane would be stupid to not resign there. He fit in really well there after the trade.

As I wrote in another post just a few seconds ago, my concern is moving Sheary and Hagelin, and picking up JVR......are we still a speed team? Can the Penguins play their identity, or adjust their identity, without the fastest of the fast (Kessel and Hagelin types). Because the rest of the league has gotten faster.

That's what I'm afraid of too (losing speed) but if the Pens can unload Hags and Sheary, they should have a little left over to bring in a young, cheap guy who's fast.

I don't remember much about Sprong besides having a nice shot. Is he fast?
Malkintent
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: Please help my dog https://www.gofundme.com/sumdm7d8

Postby FLPensFan on Mon May 21, 2018 1:49 pm

Jason Mackey put out two articles today after having a conversation with Rutherford this morning. http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/penguins/2018/05/21/Jim-Rutherford-Tom-Wilson-Ryan-Reaves-fight-Game-3-Capitals-Penguins/stories/201805210095

The first article was pretty short, basically just talking about how Tom Wilson was a piece of crap, and when Oleksiak challenged Wilson, he wanted nothing to do with fighting Oleksiak....until the refs stepped in between the two....then Wilson started running his mouth like he was 6-8, 250 pounds.

“When Jamie challenged Wilson, he couldn’t run quick enough to get away from him,” Rutherford told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette during an interview on a variety of topics Monday morning, adding that having Reaves would’ve “offset” Wilson’s physical play. “Until, of course, the referees get in close, then [Wilson] comes back and says something to him.”

The 2nd article, though, was a bit more specific into offseason moves and some insight into Rutherford's line of thinking. Some of the top pieces of information:
--Rutherford wants more balance up and down the lineup....the ability to roll 4 solid lines.
--Said that could come from within, depending on how things get structured.
--They want to add a reliable defenseman, preferably right-handed (which nixes Hickey or De Haan), so that the Penguins can even out the minutes. They want to be able to play their 3rd pairing more. Says less minutes for Letang will lead to less mistakes.
--Rutherford says Riikola could be in the mix for that d-man spot. Says he skates well and can move the puck. They need to see how he adjusts coming over here, but it is not out of the question.
--They want to extend Rust this summer....if they have the cap space to do so. Sounds like they have a number in mind. Rust has arbitration rights, so it sounds like if GMJR and Rust agent are close enough, they may hammer out a longer term deal to help with the cost.
--Mackey says Rutherford didn't 100% commit to bringing back all of his RFA players.

On the RH d-man, Rutherford did say it did not 100% need to be RH, but that is what he would prefer. Makes things easier. Some of the RH guys I see out there as UFA....Mike Green, Kevin Bieksa, John Carlson, Andrej Sustr, Luke Schenn, Cody Franson. I think for a bottom pairing guy, Green and Carlson are out. I was surprised to see Sustr was a healthy scratch a ton this season....could you imaging Sustr and Oleksiak together on the backend. One name I would keep an eye on would be Alex Petrovic in Florida. There were rumors all season that he would possibly be moved by Florida. With Ekblad, Yandle, and Pysyk in their top 4, Florida also likes their young guys in Matheson, McCoshen, and Weegar. 6-4, somewhat physical, skates well, moves the puck, kills penalties. I'd do a Sheary or Hunwick for Petrovic swap no doubt. Petrovic is an RFA.

Here are some of the direct Rutherford quotes from the article: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/penguins/2018/05/21/penguins-offseason-needs-jim-rutherford-bryan-rust-contract-juuso-riikola-defenseman/stories/201805210103

“I think we will probably look at getting a little more balance throughout the whole lineup,” Rutherford said. “We want to make sure we have the four lines that can produce. We may be able to do that from within, depending on how it gets structured.”

“Our fourth line, maybe until the last few games of the playoffs, we could never totally get comfortable with it,” Rutherford said. “We couldn’t get a fourth line that could create enough.”

“Using [Letang] the amount of minutes we were using him, I think it puts him in a tougher spot, certainly in a spot to make more mistakes,” Rutherford said of Letang, who averaged a team-high 25:15 in the regular season, which was 3:20 more than anyone else. “That’s why I’d like to get a defenseman that we could ease the minutes off of him. I believe if we do that, you’re going to see a different player.”

That player doesn’t necessarily have to be right-handed, Rutherford said, but “if you can get a right shot defenseman, you can never have enough good right shot defensemen.”

“When you look at our top four defensemen, they’re pretty good,” Rutherford said. “I’d like to get another guy who can jump into the third pairing. We’ve got guys there who are capable guys. [Riikola] could very well be the guy who could do that. You always have to see when they come here how they make the adjustment and everything. He’s a good player. Can skate. Move the puck. We’ll see what’s available. Certainly putting [Riikola] in the mix here has been helpful.”

(Talking about Rust extension here) “We’ll see,” Rutherford said. “It depends where the negotiations go. There’s a certain number that we’ll look at. If we can figure out a way to put some term on his contract, we will. We like him. We still think he has more there to give. If there’s a deal that we can get some term, we’ll do that.”

Rutherford did not 100-percent commit to retaining all of his NHL-level RFAs but said as long as the cap projects to where he and his staff think it will, everything should be fine.

“We hope so,” Rutherford said. “We have to get better feel for what the cap’s going to be. There are different ideas what it’s going to be, but until you know, you really can’t sign all your free agents and get yourself in a jam. Based on a projection, it looks like we’re going to be OK. We’re going to be able to bring the guys back that we want to bring back.”
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Jim on Mon May 21, 2018 2:01 pm

FLPensFan wrote:--They want to be able to play their 3rd pairing more. Says less minutes for Letang will lead to less mistakes.

So are they going to send Sullivan to "Line Management for the NHL - 101" so that he can get a clue as to how to manage lines?
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Mon May 21, 2018 2:03 pm

FLPensFan wrote:(Talking about Rust extension here) “We’ll see,” Rutherford said. “It depends where the negotiations go. There’s a certain number that we’ll look at. If we can figure out a way to put some term on his contract, we will. We like him. We still think he has more there to give. If there’s a deal that we can get some term, we’ll do that.”

In other words, they know that they screwed up in overpaying Sheary and do not want to make that mistake again... with hopes that Rust realizes that too.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Mon May 21, 2018 2:07 pm

Jim wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:(Talking about Rust extension here) “We’ll see,” Rutherford said. “It depends where the negotiations go. There’s a certain number that we’ll look at. If we can figure out a way to put some term on his contract, we will. We like him. We still think he has more there to give. If there’s a deal that we can get some term, we’ll do that.”

In other words, they know that they screwed up in overpaying Sheary and do not want to make that mistake again... with hopes that Rust realizes that too.

As I said a few pages ago, if I was the Penguins, and I HAD TO PAY either Rust or Sheary 3M a year on a contract, I'd choose to give the money to Rust 10 out of 10 times. He may not score as much, but he has adequate production and good defensive game to go along with it.

Rust's main thing, like most younger RFA players, is he has RFA rights.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Mon May 21, 2018 2:16 pm

So here's my mock lineup 2.0, based on Rutherford's comments:

--Sign Grabner for 3.5M for 2 years, less if he'll take it (doubtful).
--Trade Sheary to Florida for Alex Petrovic and a 6th rounder in 2019 (replaces one missing Penguins pick)
--Trade Hunwick anywhere (Colorado maybe) for a 4th round pick in 2018 (replaces another missing Penguins pick)
--Resign Sheahan, Rust, Oleksiak, Sprong, DiPauli, Blueger
--Move on from Kuhnhackl and Simon

Guentzel-Crosby-Hornqvist
Grabner-Malkin-Kessel
Aston-Reese--Brassard--Sprong
Hagelin-Sheahan-Rust
xDiPauli (or Blueger)

Dumoulin-Letang
Maatta-Schultz
Oleksiak-Petrovic
xRuhwedel

Murray
DeSmith

Grabner, Hagelin, Kessel, Rust is some serious speed. DiPauli is quite fast as well. Guentzel, Crosby, and Sprong aren't slouches either in the speed department. These sound like reasonable, minor moves....tweaks....to a roster, probably more doable than wishful thinking of a JVR, Kane, Carlson, etc type of move.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby KG on Mon May 21, 2018 2:17 pm

Thanks for sharing FLP....

From reading the quotes from JR we can most likely forget moving Letang. Sounds like JR wants to add a better version of what Hunwick was supposed to be. A good 5/6 dman.

Regarding rolling 4 lines. That really shouldn’t be a problem with the center depth we have. Add a few pieces. Let Sprong play 80 games. Add another bottom line wing so Kuhnackl doesn’t play anymore. Or Rowney.

Sully needs to make some adjustments too. He needs to stop with his good old boys club and let the skilled players run.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KG on Mon May 21, 2018 2:19 pm

FLPensFan wrote:So here's my mock lineup 2.0, based on Rutherford's comments:

--Sign Grabner for 3.5M for 2 years, less if he'll take it (doubtful).
--Trade Sheary to Florida for Alex Petrovic and a 6th rounder in 2019 (replaces one missing Penguins pick)
--Trade Hunwick anywhere (Colorado maybe) for a 4th round pick in 2018 (replaces another missing Penguins pick)
--Resign Sheahan, Rust, Oleksiak, Sprong, DiPauli, Blueger
--Move on from Kuhnhackl and Simon

Guentzel-Crosby-Hornqvist
Grabner-Malkin-Kessel
Aston-Reese--Brassard--Sprong
Hagelin-Sheahan-Rust
xDiPauli (or Blueger)

Dumoulin-Letang
Maatta-Schultz
Oleksiak-Petrovic
xRuhwedel

Murray
DeSmith

Grabner, Hagelin, Kessel, Rust is some serious speed. DiPauli is quite fast as well. Guentzel, Crosby, and Sprong aren't slouches either in the speed department. These sound like reasonable, minor moves....tweaks....to a roster, probably more doable than wishful thinking of a JVR, Kane, Carlson, etc type of move.

Well done!

I like Grabner too as a complimentary who I think would be a better version of Hagelin.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Mon May 21, 2018 2:25 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Jim wrote:

As I said a few pages ago, if I was the Penguins, and I HAD TO PAY either Rust or Sheary 3M a year on a contract, I'd choose to give the money to Rust 10 out of 10 times. He may not score as much, but he has adequate production and good defensive game to go along with it.

Rust's main thing, like most younger RFA players, is he has arbitration rights.

Fixed. You would just have confused too many people here. A lot of butter knives in this drawer.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Mon May 21, 2018 3:15 pm

Jim wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
Jim wrote:

Rust's main thing, like most younger RFA players, is he has arbitration rights.

Fixed. You would just have confused too many people here. A lot of butter knives in this drawer.

Ha, I didn't even catch that. I was actually going for arbitration there, but not sure why I typed RFA again. At least I know you understood. Thanks for the correction.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby dark_forces on Mon May 21, 2018 3:26 pm

What about dealing Hunwick to NJ and bringing Lovejoy back? Ben only has one year remaining on his deal at 2.6 mil.
I know it's not sexy, but Hunwick may be a perfect bottom pairing, good skating guy there - seems like a new era NJ defenseman, whereas Lovejoy brings size, PK and would fit it well alongside Oleksiak. I would be all over this if NJ would do it.
dark_forces
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Mon May 21, 2018 3:37 pm

Jim wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:--They want to be able to play their 3rd pairing more. Says less minutes for Letang will lead to less mistakes.

So are they going to send Sullivan to "Line Management for the NHL - 101" so that he can get a clue as to how to manage lines?

This is exactly where I went when reading that. JR can do anything he feels like but MS is going to play Letang until he can't. I believe you take the card away and then force MS to do what he did in the Cup run last year. Balance.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Mon May 21, 2018 5:36 pm

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:
Jim wrote:

This is exactly where I went when reading that. JR can do anything he feels like but MS is going to play Letang until he can't. I believe you take the card away and then force MS to do what he did in the Cup run last year. Balance.

True. JR had MAF and Cole and Reaves and Plots... all guys that Sully didnt want. JR can do whatever he wants with the personnel, but Sully is the one who decides when and how to use them if at all.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Mon May 21, 2018 6:16 pm

dark_forces wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
largegarlic wrote:

Kumelin would be below Hagelin on the depth chart. He is more a LW Sheahan, depth but not an answer to answer my other needs.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby RentedMule66 on Mon May 21, 2018 6:39 pm

I'm pretty sure no one is trading for Hunwick (draft picks or players). I'd be shocked. My fear is that we're stuck with him again. I'm also a little down on ZAR. I know the sample size is small, but I didn't see much from him when he played (granted he wasn't playing with top players).
RentedMule66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Malkintent on Mon May 21, 2018 7:37 pm

What would it take to get Pachioretty from Montreal?
Malkintent
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: Please help my dog https://www.gofundme.com/sumdm7d8

Postby FLPensFan on Mon May 21, 2018 7:41 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:
RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:
Jim wrote:

True. JR had MAF and Cole and Reaves and Plots... all guys that Sully didnt want. JR can do whatever he wants with the personnel, but Sully is the one who decides when and how to use them if at all.

So, GMJR needs to turn into Billy Beane is what you are saying:

FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins