2018 Summer Game Plan

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 2018 Summer Game Plan

Postby OKpensfan247 on Tue May 15, 2018 8:52 pm

Yeah I think we are close to being on the same page interstorm with wanting to see better forward play. Just different in how to achieve it.

Respectfully agree to disagree on the need to meddle with defense. I respect your opinion. I just don't think it needs to be tinkered with to become the top team in the east again.

Also respectfully disagree on Tavares at 3C. I think if he does not get talented winger support, Tavares will struggle on 3rd line to produce playoff points just like Brassard did this year once we got into a tight defensive and physical playoff series against the Caps with a sharp goaltender.

You spread out our 2.5 clutch wingers that have proven they can produce in a series like that (Horny, Jake, and Phil counts as a half after this postseason), I think the Centers get focused on by the defense and clogged up.

Also, I think Tavares gets at least Letang like money. So if you move out Letang, he is replaced with Tavares same salary. Fwd depth still not good enoughand now you have to find another top 4 defenseman.

If you move out Brass, Sheary, Kuhnhackl and keep Letang... Ok maybe its possible we sneak Tavares in. But like I said, I think his winger quality sucks in that scenario unless we get lucky with AHL players stepping up, or we find some more diamonds in the rough like Cullen... Basically we would have to get lucky.

Guru mentioned the UFA crop is not good this year, so if that is true then my strategy of signing quality winger becomes tougher...we would have to pull off some trades. Not easy either I admit.
OKpensfan247
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Tue May 15, 2018 8:58 pm

OKpensfan247 wrote:Yeah I think we are close to being on the same page interstorm with wanting to see better forward play. Just different in how to achieve it.

Respectfully agree to disagree on the need to meddle with defense. I respect your opinion. I just don't think it needs to be tinkered with to become the top team in the east again.

Also respectfully disagree on Tavares at 3C. I think if he does not get talented winger support, Tavares will struggle on 3rd line to produce playoff points just like Brassard did this year once we got into a tight defensive and physical playoff series against the Caps with a sharp goaltender.

You spread out our 2.5 clutch wingers that have proven they can produce in a series like that (Horny, Jake, and Phil counts as a half after this postseason), I think the Centers get focused on by the defense and clogged up.

Also, I think Tavares gets at least Letang like money. So if you move out Letang, he is replaced with Tavares same salary. Fwd depth still not good enoughand now you have to find another top 4 defenseman.

If you move out Brass, Sheary, Kuhnhackl and keep Letang... Ok maybe its possible we sneak Tavares in. But like I said, I think his winger quality sucks in that scenario unless we get lucky with AHL players stepping up, or we find some more diamonds in the rough like Cullen... Basically we would have to get lucky.

Guru mentioned the UFA crop is not good this year, so if that is true then my strategy of signing quality winger becomes tougher...we would have to pull off some trades. Not easy either I admit.

Tavares will get at least 10 million per year on a long term deal. He isn't settling for Letang like money after "only" making 5+ million/year on his last deal.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Tue May 15, 2018 10:55 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Pitts wrote:
pekkasteele wrote:Lets call VGK and offer Letang + ? for Schmidt (2.25M next season, then UFA) and Marchessault (5M from next season), we get a good D and a LW, Vegas gets a #1 D with lots of playoff experience. And if they don't win it this year, they probably want that.

They ove us since ... the Flower!

Yeah, and they ate half of Brassard's salary for no reason as a thank you gesture.

And to block the Jets from getting Brassard.....who instead go Stastny.....who has been the much better player in the playoffs. They probably don't want to do us any more favors.

Honestly, who would you take if you had the choice at the time (no hindsight here). You're taking Brassard and you know it. I'm still stoked Brassard is on this team. Next year is going to be an incredible season with him here for the full year.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Tue May 15, 2018 11:11 pm

Pitts wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
Pitts wrote:
pekkasteele wrote:Lets call VGK and offer Letang + ? for Schmidt (2.25M next season, then UFA) and Marchessault (5M from next season), we get a good D and a LW, Vegas gets a #1 D with lots of playoff experience. And if they don't win it this year, they probably want that.

Yeah, and they ate half of Brassard's salary for no reason as a thank you gesture.

And to block the Jets from getting Brassard.....who instead go Stastny.....who has been the much better player in the playoffs. They probably don't want to do us any more favors.

Honestly, who would you take if you had the choice at the time (no hindsight here). You're taking Brassard and you know it. I'm still stoked Brassard is on this team. Next year is going to be an incredible season with him here for the full year.

Yep, I'd take Brassard too. And like you, I think Brassard will make a huge difference on this team. I often wonder if Brassard's injury actually came sooner, like, the first few games with Pittsburgh, and it only got to the point near the end of the season where he couldn't play.

Whatever the case may be, he should be a big component next year. I have lots of faith he will be a much different player for Pittsburgh with a camp under his belt and injury free.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pekkasteele on Wed May 16, 2018 1:52 am

FLPensFan wrote:
Pitts wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
Pitts wrote:

Yep, I'd take Brassard too. And like you, I think Brassard will make a huge difference on this team. I often wonder if Brassard's injury actually came sooner, like, the first few games with Pittsburgh, and it only got to the point near the end of the season where he couldn't play.

Whatever the case may be, he should be a big component next year. I have lots of faith he will be a much different player for Pittsburgh with a camp under his belt and injury free.

I like Brass to and would keep him, but can we still trade Letang + ? for Schmidt and Marchessault please :)
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve Dave on Wed May 16, 2018 2:43 am

Letang + Sheary
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby RentedMule66 on Wed May 16, 2018 7:50 am

I like Brass to and would keep him, but can we still trade Letang + ? for Schmidt and Marchessault please :)[/quote]

And why in the world would Vegas make that trade???
RentedMule66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby no name on Wed May 16, 2018 8:03 am

The Pens made a deal to land Brassard and I think are more than comfortable with him. No need to look at another high end center in Tavares. Your 3C should be able to match up with the other teams top line defensively as well as being able to get you the odd goal. Use any extra open space to fortify the wings and defense.

Instead of landing a 6th defenseman get a top 4 guy to play with Maatta moving Oleksiak and Schultz to the 3rd pairing.

Trading Sheary for a guy who can produce with Sid should be a priority.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pronovost19 on Wed May 16, 2018 8:27 am

ville5 wrote:Bobby McK says Canes owner looking to make changes and everyone except Aho is available. Letang for Skinner, pick and a D? Do it GMJR.

Skinner is another Center. Not for me. I think Skinner is Kessel lite when it comes to blocking shots and playing defense. Would never fit into a 3rd or 4th line defensive guy.
Now, if they would do Skinner, adding TVR, Hanifin or Pesce, and a pick...then maybe
But I have seen enough of Jeff Skinner to think he is defensively inept. Not a 200 foot player.
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Wed May 16, 2018 9:34 am

pronovost19 wrote:
ville5 wrote:Bobby McK says Canes owner looking to make changes and everyone except Aho is available. Letang for Skinner, pick and a D? Do it GMJR.

Skinner is another Center. Not for me. I think Skinner is Kessel lite when it comes to blocking shots and playing defense. Would never fit into a 3rd or 4th line defensive guy.
Now, if they would do Skinner, adding TVR, Hanifin or Pesce, and a pick...then maybe
But I have seen enough of Jeff Skinner to think he is defensively inept. Not a 200 foot player.

Skinner is not a center, he is a wing. He can play either side of center. I also think you are being a bit hard on Skinner in terms of his defense. I don't think he is anywhere near as bad as Kessel. Skinner's big thing is he is prone to shy away from going into the boards and battling for pucks. He will do it on occassion, but, more than anything, I think it is more of a guy who has had several concussions in his short career trying to avoid putting himself in situations where he can get injured.

Skinner would be a great add to update the team speed. I have been saying that for 2 years now. But, if I'm Carolina, there isn't much the Penguins are going to offer me that makes me want to move him. I'm not taking a package centered around Kessel or Letang for him. In Kessel, why would I take a guy 5 or 6 years older, who is more expensive, and plays a similar game? With Slavin, Faulk, Hanafin, Pesce, Fleury, and Jake Bean in the fold, why would I want Letang over any of them.....again when he is 5-6 years older and more expensive.

If I'm Carolina, and the Penguins are asking about Skinner, I'm probably asking for Sprong and Jarry, and probably something else.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Wed May 16, 2018 9:43 am

no name wrote:The Pens made a deal to land Brassard and I think are more than comfortable with him. No need to look at another high end center in Tavares. Your 3C should be able to match up with the other teams top line defensively as well as being able to get you the odd goal. Use any extra open space to fortify the wings and defense.

Instead of landing a 6th defenseman get a top 4 guy to play with Maatta moving Oleksiak and Schultz to the 3rd pairing.

Trading Sheary for a guy who can produce with Sid should be a priority.

I don't see the Penguins having the $$$ to go after a top 4 defenseman unless you are trading Kessel or Letang. I also don't think pushing Schultz down to bottom pair is the correct answer either. Their defense spending is already quite high. Pushing Schultz to 3rd pairing and acquiring 2nd pairing d-man would mean the Penguins are spending over 4M a year on 5 of their top 6 defenseman......that is too much.

If I could see only two players brought in via UFA (and a bunch sent out for picks and prospects), it would be JVR at LW, and one of Calvin de Haan or Thomas Hickey as the 3rd pairing LD.

The problem is, the Penguins would likely have to trade more than just Hunwick and Sheary to make that work, unless the cap goes up to the very highest end of the range being talked, about 83M (I tend to think it will be the lower end, about 78M). They'd likely have to give up Hagelin as well, and, as much as I don't like his 4M cap hit, I do like the speed element he brings.....if Hagelin goes, they need to bring in another skilled, speedy player.

Guentzel-Crosby-Hornqvist
JVR-Malkin-Sprong
ZAR-Brassard-Kessel
Hagelin-Sheahan-Rust

Dumo-Letang
Maatta-Schultz
Hickey-Oleksiak

Murray
DeSmith
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Wed May 16, 2018 10:00 am

Queue up the Kovalchuk to the Penguins rumors in 3.....2.....1.......

FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pekkasteele on Wed May 16, 2018 10:03 am

FLPensFan wrote:Queue up the Kovalchuk to the Penguins rumors in 3.....2.....1.......

I don't know who is Kovalchuk there, is it the one in the back? Or the first one? The first one is a Talbot-look-a-like!
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Wed May 16, 2018 10:11 am

pekkasteele wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Queue up the Kovalchuk to the Penguins rumors in 3.....2.....1.......

I don't know who is Kovalchuk there, is it the one in the back? Or the first one? The first one is a Talbot-look-a-like!

The one in the back.

The rumors of him going to the Rangers made no sense to me. The Rangers have entered full rebuild mode.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby maopens on Wed May 16, 2018 10:20 am

Maybe Geno is recruiting his linemate.

Trading Sheary and adding Kovalchuk would be an interesting change to our offense.
maopens
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby largegarlic on Wed May 16, 2018 10:33 am

It seems like Geno is due to land us a good Russian UFA. It really stinks that we ended up with Plotnikov instead of Panarin.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Wed May 16, 2018 11:27 am

largegarlic wrote:It seems like Geno is due to land us a good Russian UFA. It really stinks that we ended up with Plotnikov instead of Panarin.

I find it curious that Geno is the only Russian on our team. It has been that way for a long time too.

Other than Plots in the 2015/16 season (who only played in 32 games), the last Russian penguin other than Geno was Kovalev in the 2010/2011 season. He played 20 games.

That has to be a the lowest in the league.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Wed May 16, 2018 12:26 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:
pekkasteele wrote:

Spoiler:

The one in the back.

The rumors of him going to the Rangers made no sense to me. The Rangers have entered full rebuild mode.

I believe the guy in front is just a guy that saw Geno/Kovalchuk out somewhere, and got a selfie with them. I saw his post on twitter saying he was the guy in front, and he didn't have a lot of followers or a verified account.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby penny lane on Wed May 16, 2018 12:48 pm

Not my team, not my money, but I think Dale Tallon , panthers should go out and sign Taveras. They were close to the play offs last year. Panthers need a headliner besides Luongo.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitts on Wed May 16, 2018 1:04 pm

maopens wrote:Maybe Geno is recruiting his linemate.

Trading Sheary and adding Kovalchuk would be an interesting change to our offense.

Kovalchuk would solve the barren LW option for the Pens as well! Hmmmmm.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Southern Fan on Wed May 16, 2018 1:20 pm

Betting Rutherford makes a trade with Carolina for some under the radar Charlotte Checker in the AHL that he drafted, or someone in the organization told him about, that turns out to be a candidate for the NHL roster.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Wed May 16, 2018 1:33 pm

penny lane wrote:Not my team, not my money, but I think Dale Tallon , panthers should go out and sign Taveras. They were close to the play offs last year. Panthers need a headliner besides Luongo.

They do need star talent, but they are pretty set at center with Barkov and Trocheck as their #1 and #2 centers. They need better wingers. They would be wise to try and make a play for JVR and or Evander Kane.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Cow_Master66 on Wed May 16, 2018 1:41 pm

Talking about Tavares joining this team makes our fan base look stupid. Talking about things working out for Tavares playing 3C anywhere makes us look stupid too.

This team is a legit contender for the next 2-3 years AS IS, so nothing major will happen outside of some depth tweaks.
Cow_Master66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby dark_forces on Wed May 16, 2018 1:45 pm

As far as the value of the players we're talking about being moved, what do you think the value of someone like Sheary actually is?
As far as draft picks are concerned, I'm thinking a second - but maybe the second is in 2019.
My preference would be another youngish player (under 27) who's caught in a numbers game with his current team. I'm thinking of a LW, who has speed, can kill penalties and chip in 10-12 goals. I just think we need a versatile LW for depth who can eventually replace Hagelin and fill Sheary's roster spot this season.
dark_forces
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Wed May 16, 2018 2:23 pm

dark_forces wrote:As far as the value of the players we're talking about being moved, what do you think the value of someone like Sheary actually is?
As far as draft picks are concerned, I'm thinking a second - but maybe the second is in 2019.
My preference would be another youngish player (under 27) who's caught in a numbers game with his current team. I'm thinking of a LW, who has speed, can kill penalties and chip in 10-12 goals. I just think we need a versatile LW for depth who can eventually replace Hagelin and fill Sheary's roster spot this season.

I don't disagree that a good young guy who has speed and PK ability would be good to add, but, IMO, the Penguins need another legitimate 20 goal scorer on the LW. For the past 3 years, Kessel and Hornqvist have each put up 20 or more goals from the RW. They haven't got that same level of production from the LW.

As far as Sheary, a late 2nd or a 3rd round pick is probably what could be expected. Maybe a late round pick and an above average (but not exceptional the teams best) prospect.

On the LW, we got 22 out of Guentzel this year. No other LW eclipsed 20 this year.
Last year, Sheary managed 23 goals, but no other LW hit that mark last year
The year before, nobody on the LW hit 20 goals.

The Penguins would be wise to pick up one more consistent LW. I expect Guentzel to continue the 20+ goals per season pace, but I'd like to see more from the LW position as a whole. It's all about matchups, and heading into next season, the Penguins expected top 3 RWs are all exclusive RWs in Kessel, Hornqvist, and Sprong.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins