2018 Summer Game Plan

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: 2018 Summer Game Plan

Postby FLPensFan on Wed May 09, 2018 12:57 pm

Pensfan4life8771 wrote:
Spoiler:
FLPensFan wrote:Had a longer post on my other computer but never hit send, so here is the shorter version (yes, this is the shorter version :D ):

Must Do's (100%)
=============
1. Resign Rust, Sheahan, Oleksiak, and Simon
2. Play Sprong on Penguins NHL roster. (He is no longer waiver exempt. It's PIT, traded to another team, or waiver claim. PIT would be stupid to trade him without ever giving him a fair shake at the NHL level).
3. Upgrade the 4th line.
4. Bring in a solid, UFA bottom pair defenseman.

Should Do 50-75%)
=============
1. Trade Sheary and Hunwick. LW is our weakest forward spot. Aside from Guentzel, nobody is producing consistently. Clear Hunwick's salary, find a cheaper 6/7 man.
2. Make a big run at JVR for LW. Likely going to cost you 6M, but better than almost that same price (5.5M) AND giving up assets for Landeskog. A big, skilled, non-slow winger would do wonders here.
3. Trade or non-tender Tom Kuhnhackl. While he may be a good shot blocker and PK guy, his 4th line production has fallen each year. 1st year, he had 15 points in 42 games, a pace of just about 30 points in a season. Then he had 16 points in 57 games. This year, 8 points in 69 games. If you can't find someone else that can PK AND provide 4th line level output (10-20 point range), then you've got serious depth issues. If they don't go as far as trading/non-qualifying him, don't hand him a jersey every night because he's one of Sullivan's boys. He wouldn't be bad to keep around as a 13th forward, but the 4th line has continually produced nothing this season with him there....and he's a big part of that.

Maybe Do (25-50%)
==============
1. Trade Kessel. People think this is crazy; a knee jerk reaction to a bad post-season. It's not. Go check my posts in the big 600 page closed thread. I mentioned a few times about how the Penguins were going to need to strongly consider moving him in the next year or two. More specifically, when Guentzel gets a new deal that kicks in next season AND if Sprong gets a season under his belt with good production where he starts looking for 1M plus contracts, money is going to become tight. This wasn't even considering Hornqvist resigning, either. Phil turns 31 years old right before the season starts. He just put up his career best numbers. His value isn't going to be much higher. I'm not saying the package will be overwhelming or a steal, but, Kessel should be able to command a 1st and a high level NHL ready prospect, or a good young NHL player (preferably defenseman). The problem I have with trading Kessel this summer is, we don't know enough about Sprong. This is why I think you have to wait until the 2019 trade deadline or 2019 summer....need to see what Sprong can do.

Unlikely (25% or less)
==============
1. Trade Letang. I get it. Bonehead play; not much of a brain lately. I think the Penguins need to consider moving Letang, but, I don't see a deal out there where we can get another capable top pairing defenseman back or on the UFA market to replace Letang. Now, if you talked to John Carlson during the UFA period, and he agreed to come to PIT, maybe then you make a move. Maybe the only deal (and I think this is still far fetched) that could trade a d-man for d-man is Letang for Ristolainen and a pick. Buffalo is almost certainly going to take another Rasmus, Rasmus Dahlin, as their 1st overall pick. While Rasmus Ristolainen is a good, young, top 10 overall draft pick, his development has been a little up and down. For lack of a better analogy.....he seems to have Letang-brain occassionally. The difference here is, Ristolainen is 23, Letang is 31. Ristolainen is still in a position of development where he can improve his decision making. At 31, I think that time has past for Letang. Ristolainen is also about 2M cheaper than Letang, and signed for the same length of time. I still have a hard time believing Botteril would make this trade, but if he wanted to accelerate the teams playoff chances (what GM doesn't want to when/if you are on a short leash), maybe he considers getting a more experienced top end defenseman to pair with Dahlen, or even put on the 2nd pairing.

Guentzel-Crosby-Hornqvist
JVR-Malkin-Kessel
ZAR-Brassard-Sprong
Hagelin-Sheahan-Rust
xKuhnhackl, Simon, DiPauli, Blueger

Dumo-Letang
Maatta-Schultz
UFA-Oleksiak
xRuhwedel

That forward lineup has a nice combination of speed, skill, and toughness on every line, and that is without moving Kessel or Letang. That 4th line could be a lot of teams 3rd lines. Much better for Rust and Hagelin to put in a position where they can exceed expectations, rather than always trying to justify a top 6 role with production not in line with their playing time.

Excellent post...just curious if you had to put $/terms to Rust/Shehan/Olekisak/Simon what would you give each of them? I did the following while playing with it on Capfriendly.com:

-Rust: 2M/3yrs
-Shehan: 2.3M/2yrs
- Oleksiak: 1.25M/2yrs
-Simon I actually let go since we got Sprong and ZAR.

What are your thoughts on Grabner and playing with Jake and Sid? That would than allow you to put Horny with Maklin and Hagelin. Kessel with Brassard and Rust and allow more space for D (where I think bigger issue might be) and possibly a vet goalie.

In regards to trading Letang I think it's a good idea but only if trading him leads to big name guy like Tavares/Kane/Top D man...maybe Letang for Karlsson?

Rust, I'd be ok with 2-2.75M. I wouldn't be thrilled if he hit 3M, but at the same time, if I had to pay Sheary 3M (like we do currently) or Rust, I would rather Rust get 3M. He's more well rounded player.
Sheahan, I would want to keep between 2-2.5M. Things could get interesting though if they plan to move Brassard to wing and Sheahan to 3C....that could drive up Sheahan's price a bit.
Oleksiak, 1.25-2M range
Simon, if you keep him, minimal raise.
Kuhnhackl, if you keep him, minimal raise.

On Grabner, I'm not really sold right now. I think he's going to look for a high end contract more than what the Penguins can or should pay him. And while his speed would be nice, I'd like to see a E. Kane, Landeskog, JVR type over another speed guy.

No way Letang gets Karlsson. I don't think the Penguins move Letang. At least not this summer.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FLPensFan on Wed May 09, 2018 1:01 pm

no name wrote:Guentzel-Crosby-Hornqvist
E Kane-Malkin-Kessel
ZAR-Brassard-Sprong
Hagelin-Sheahan-Rust

Dumo-Letang
Maatta-UFA
Schultz-Oleksiak
xRuhwedel

I just replaced JVR with E Kane although they are similar. I moved your defense from a bottom 6 to a top 4 on defense. Overall I could live with your line up easily.

That 3rd line looks interesting, I really like it but just scared of the unknown until you see that they all can work and produce together.

How would you feel about moving Letang for Ristolinen(BUF)? save around 2 million in salary get a steady 2 way player. Not Letangs ilk but serviceable and affordable.

I wouldn't mind Evander Kane, but I have a strong suspicion he is going to try and stay with San Jose. He'd be stupid not to, if they want him back. He really seemed to fit in well there.

I mentioned Letang for Ristolainen as one of the few moves I thought could be possible. It's a stretch, but Ristolainen has struggled a bit with decision making similar to Letang, and Buffalo almost certainly is going to pickup Rasmus Dahlen #1 overall.

After hearing Sullivan, Rutherford, and Letang speak today though.....I don't think the Penguins are moving Letang. They'll let him try and bounce back with a full summer of recovery and training, and that is the right move no matter how much he frustrates the fan base.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Great58 on Wed May 09, 2018 1:04 pm

I'd be fine with JVR if the price is right. No E. Kane though, please. SJS are a good fit for him, personality wise. I don't want to restart a character issue thread, but I think the Pens room and his personality aren't a great match.
Rust is a better player and more trusted by Sullivan, but his injuries (and usage) have kept his numbers down. No need to worry that he gets Sheary money.

Sheahan, I would want to keep between 2-2.5M. Things could get interesting though if they plan to move Brassard to wing and Sheahan to 3C....that could drive up Sheahan's price a bit.

But his contract renewal is in July, so while he may end up playing more minutes and put up more points next year, his cost on this contract will be based on past performance.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Wed May 09, 2018 1:06 pm

Jim wrote:Must Do's (100%)
=============
1. Agree (within cap reason)
2. Can we get a ruling on what "a fair shake" is so we we don't go through the same bullpoo as with Bennett fans? He apparently never got a fair shake by the Pens even with 150 games (129 reg games and 21 playoff games).
3. Agree (but I want more physicality and most probably want more scoring)
4. Agree

Should Do 50-75%)
=============
1. Hunwick yes, Sheary is not a "give away" to me.
2. Agree (although I am okay with a trade for Landeskog too)
3. Fine with this

Maybe Do (25-50%)
==============
1. No. maybe Sprong will be able to fill in for Phil, but that is a huge "?" He could just as easily be Beau Bennett.

Unlikely (25% or less)
==============
1. I am okay with this if an offensive D replacement is brought in. Schultz is not it.

Sign JVR, keep Letang
-or-
Sign Carlson, trade Letang for Landeskog (not saying 1-for-1, maybe include Sheary and get more back... GM work)

I think Bennett got a fair shake. He missed more games due to injury than being scratched for not performing.

I think acquiring JVR and Letang staying is more likely at this point. While I like Carlson, I think the Caps likely try like hell to resign him, and I have a feeling Carlson is a guy that would prefer to stay with Washington.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FLPensFan on Wed May 09, 2018 1:10 pm

DelPen wrote:I would start with this by filling in the holes. If I left someone off it means I want them gone for whatever reason:

Guentzel-Crosby-Sprong
ZAR-Malkin-Hornqvist
Hagelin-Brassard-Kessel
Kuhnhackl-Sheahan-Rust

Letang-Dumoulin
Schultz-Maatta
Oleksiak-???

If healthy that would be me ideal lineup.

Ruhwedel is fine is a 7th. Still not sold on Hunwick. Ideally we could package Hunwick and Sheary into someone that will help on defense but funny enough that really wasn’t the problem this year since it was the top player not playing well at times.

I'm just not a Kuhnhackl in the top 12 fan at this point. He can't generate any offense, and the 4th line as a whole doesn't seem to either with him there. I'd trade Kuhnhackl's size on the 4th line for Hagelin's speed and increased production 10 times out of 10. The Penguins need to get out of the mold of giving guys spots because they can PK. They have guys like Blueger and DiPauli that should be given a longer look as well.

Kuhnhackl as a 13th forward you can go to as first man up, great. But for 82 games......Nope.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Wed May 09, 2018 1:44 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
DelPen wrote:I would start with this by filling in the holes. If I left someone off it means I want them gone for whatever reason:

Guentzel-Crosby-Sprong
ZAR-Malkin-Hornqvist
Hagelin-Brassard-Kessel
Kuhnhackl-Sheahan-Rust

Letang-Dumoulin
Schultz-Maatta
Oleksiak-???

If healthy that would be me ideal lineup.

Ruhwedel is fine is a 7th. Still not sold on Hunwick. Ideally we could package Hunwick and Sheary into someone that will help on defense but funny enough that really wasn’t the problem this year since it was the top player not playing well at times.

I'm just not a Kuhnhackl in the top 12 fan at this point. He can't generate any offense, and the 4th line as a whole doesn't seem to either with him there. I'd trade Kuhnhackl's size on the 4th line for Hagelin's speed and increased production 10 times out of 10. The Penguins need to get out of the mold of giving guys spots because they can PK. They have guys like Blueger and DiPauli that should be given a longer look as well.

Kuhnhackl as a 13th forward you can go to as first man up, great. But for 82 games......Nope.

I get that, and if we can add a better LW and have ZAR, Sheahan and Rust on the 4th that accomplishes that.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Wed May 09, 2018 1:51 pm

Also, some perspective on Brassard from Adam Gretz:

Brassard had 4 points in 12 playoff games and was viewed, mostly, as a failure.

Nick Bonino had 3 points in the first 12 playoff games last year and was viewed as a key blood-and-guts depth player.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pensfan4life8771 on Wed May 09, 2018 1:52 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Pensfan4life8771 wrote:
Spoiler:
FLPensFan wrote:Had a longer post on my other computer but never hit send, so here is the shorter version (yes, this is the shorter version :D ):

Must Do's (100%)
=============
1. Resign Rust, Sheahan, Oleksiak, and Simon
2. Play Sprong on Penguins NHL roster. (He is no longer waiver exempt. It's PIT, traded to another team, or waiver claim. PIT would be stupid to trade him without ever giving him a fair shake at the NHL level).
3. Upgrade the 4th line.
4. Bring in a solid, UFA bottom pair defenseman.

Should Do 50-75%)
=============
1. Trade Sheary and Hunwick. LW is our weakest forward spot. Aside from Guentzel, nobody is producing consistently. Clear Hunwick's salary, find a cheaper 6/7 man.
2. Make a big run at JVR for LW. Likely going to cost you 6M, but better than almost that same price (5.5M) AND giving up assets for Landeskog. A big, skilled, non-slow winger would do wonders here.
3. Trade or non-tender Tom Kuhnhackl. While he may be a good shot blocker and PK guy, his 4th line production has fallen each year. 1st year, he had 15 points in 42 games, a pace of just about 30 points in a season. Then he had 16 points in 57 games. This year, 8 points in 69 games. If you can't find someone else that can PK AND provide 4th line level output (10-20 point range), then you've got serious depth issues. If they don't go as far as trading/non-qualifying him, don't hand him a jersey every night because he's one of Sullivan's boys. He wouldn't be bad to keep around as a 13th forward, but the 4th line has continually produced nothing this season with him there....and he's a big part of that.

Maybe Do (25-50%)
==============
1. Trade Kessel. People think this is crazy; a knee jerk reaction to a bad post-season. It's not. Go check my posts in the big 600 page closed thread. I mentioned a few times about how the Penguins were going to need to strongly consider moving him in the next year or two. More specifically, when Guentzel gets a new deal that kicks in next season AND if Sprong gets a season under his belt with good production where he starts looking for 1M plus contracts, money is going to become tight. This wasn't even considering Hornqvist resigning, either. Phil turns 31 years old right before the season starts. He just put up his career best numbers. His value isn't going to be much higher. I'm not saying the package will be overwhelming or a steal, but, Kessel should be able to command a 1st and a high level NHL ready prospect, or a good young NHL player (preferably defenseman). The problem I have with trading Kessel this summer is, we don't know enough about Sprong. This is why I think you have to wait until the 2019 trade deadline or 2019 summer....need to see what Sprong can do.

Unlikely (25% or less)
==============
1. Trade Letang. I get it. Bonehead play; not much of a brain lately. I think the Penguins need to consider moving Letang, but, I don't see a deal out there where we can get another capable top pairing defenseman back or on the UFA market to replace Letang. Now, if you talked to John Carlson during the UFA period, and he agreed to come to PIT, maybe then you make a move. Maybe the only deal (and I think this is still far fetched) that could trade a d-man for d-man is Letang for Ristolainen and a pick. Buffalo is almost certainly going to take another Rasmus, Rasmus Dahlin, as their 1st overall pick. While Rasmus Ristolainen is a good, young, top 10 overall draft pick, his development has been a little up and down. For lack of a better analogy.....he seems to have Letang-brain occassionally. The difference here is, Ristolainen is 23, Letang is 31. Ristolainen is still in a position of development where he can improve his decision making. At 31, I think that time has past for Letang. Ristolainen is also about 2M cheaper than Letang, and signed for the same length of time. I still have a hard time believing Botteril would make this trade, but if he wanted to accelerate the teams playoff chances (what GM doesn't want to when/if you are on a short leash), maybe he considers getting a more experienced top end defenseman to pair with Dahlen, or even put on the 2nd pairing.

Guentzel-Crosby-Hornqvist
JVR-Malkin-Kessel
ZAR-Brassard-Sprong
Hagelin-Sheahan-Rust

Dumo-Letang
Maatta-Schultz
UFA-Oleksiak
xRuhwedel

That forward lineup has a nice combination of speed, skill, and toughness on every line, and that is without moving Kessel or Letang. That 4th line could be a lot of teams 3rd lines. Much better for Rust and Hagelin to put in a position where they can exceed expectations, rather than always trying to justify a top 6 role with production not in line with their playing time.

Excellent post...just curious if you had to put $/terms to Rust/Shehan/Olekisak/Simon what would you give each of them? I did the following while playing with it on Capfriendly.com:

-Rust: 2M/3yrs
-Shehan: 2.3M/2yrs
- Oleksiak: 1.25M/2yrs
-Simon I actually let go since we got Sprong and ZAR.

What are your thoughts on Grabner and playing with Jake and Sid? That would than allow you to put Horny with Maklin and Hagelin. Kessel with Brassard and Rust and allow more space for D (where I think bigger issue might be) and possibly a vet goalie.

In regards to trading Letang I think it's a good idea but only if trading him leads to big name guy like Tavares/Kane/Top D man...maybe Letang for Karlsson?

Rust, I'd be ok with 2-2.75M. I wouldn't be thrilled if he hit 3M, but at the same time, if I had to pay Sheary 3M (like we do currently) or Rust, I would rather Rust get 3M. He's more well rounded player.
Oleksiak, 1.25-2M range
Simon, if you keep him, minimal raise.
Kuhnhackl, if you keep him, minimal raise.

On Grabner, I'm not really sold right now. I think he's going to look for a high end contract more than what the Penguins can or should pay him. And while his speed would be nice, I'd like to see a E. Kane, Landeskog, JVR type over another speed guy.

No way Letang gets Karlsson. I don't think the Penguins move Letang. At least not this summer.

How does this look for next season?
https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/edit/686636

I hope link works
Pensfan4life8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Badger Bob on Wed May 09, 2018 1:53 pm

He didn't get a Punjabi goal call either. "Brassard-Brassard-Brassard-Brassard-Derick Brassard" doesn't have the same ring to it.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pensfan4life8771 on Wed May 09, 2018 1:58 pm

How do you post a image?
Pensfan4life8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pensfan4life8771 on Wed May 09, 2018 2:02 pm

I'll just type it out:

So I traded Sheary to Oilers for Russell (D)
Traded Hunwick to Toronto for draft pick.

Guentzel - Crosby - Sprong
hagelin - Malkin - Horny
JVR - Sheahan - Kessel
ZAR - Brassard - Rust

Dumo-Letang
Matta-Schultz
Oleksiak - Russell
Ruhwedel

Murray
Jarry

With $82M cap I have roughly $757,500 left.
Pensfan4life8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pensfan4life8771 on Wed May 09, 2018 2:05 pm

I think another good question for next year will be which of the three you think will rebound from this season? If I had to pick one that wouldn't my guess is Letang over the other two:

Derrick Brassard
Kris Letang
Matt Hunwick
Pensfan4life8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Wed May 09, 2018 2:24 pm

Pensfan4life8771 wrote:I'll just type it out:

hagelin - Malkin - Horny
JVR - Sheahan - Kessel
ZAR - Brassard - Rust

Dumo-Letang
Matta-Schultz
Oleksiak - Russell
Ruhwedel

Murray
Jarry

Did you "publish" it, or is it just in "edit"?
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BurghThing on Wed May 09, 2018 2:25 pm

Pensfan4life8771 wrote:I think another good question for next year will be which of the three you think will rebound from this season? If I had to pick one that wouldn't my guess is Letang over the other two:

Derrick Brassard
Kris Letang
Matt Hunwick

Define "rebound"

Brassard will return to the norm, which for him is very good. Letang returning to the norm still has him making boneheaded decision after boneheaded decision.
BurghThing
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby lemieuxReturns on Wed May 09, 2018 2:28 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Also, some perspective on Brassard from Adam Gretz:

Nick Bonino had 3 points in the first 12 playoff games last year and was viewed as a key blood-and-guts depth player.

One guy we had the rights to and could have easily signed. The other we gave up a 2018 1st round pick, our top goalie prospect, Ian Cole, and a 2018 3rd round pick.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby BurghThing on Wed May 09, 2018 2:45 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Also, some perspective on Brassard from Adam Gretz:

One guy we had the rights to and could have easily signed. The other we gave up a 2018 1st round pick, our top goalie prospect, Ian Cole, and a 2018 3rd round pick.

I'm not sure Gus was our "top goalie prospect"
BurghThing
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Wed May 09, 2018 2:54 pm

Bonino is so good that Nashville overpaid him and then had to go out and get a guy to do what they paid Bonino to do.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby LimerickPensFan on Wed May 09, 2018 3:01 pm

I see Bonino a lot like Max Talbot. Didn't score a lot, but when he did, it always seemed to be a key goal.
LimerickPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pensfan4life8771 on Wed May 09, 2018 3:49 pm

Jim wrote:
Pensfan4life8771 wrote:I'll just type it out:

hagelin - Malkin - Horny
JVR - Sheahan - Kessel
ZAR - Brassard - Rust

Dumo-Letang
Matta-Schultz
Oleksiak - Russell
Ruhwedel

Murray
Jarry

Did you "publish" it, or is it just in "edit"?

Left it in edit...I always have issues with this site and recognizing my username. Maybe I just forgot my password...AGAIN... :shock: Won't lie I'm 34 but man I feel like one of my parents now when it comes to technology sometimes :? Probably doesn't help my fiancé is 29 and is super into Tech :pop:
Pensfan4life8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed May 09, 2018 6:19 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
E Kane-Malkin-Kessel
ZAR-Brassard-Sprong
Hagelin-Sheahan-Rust

Dumo-Letang
Maatta-UFA
Schultz-Oleksiak
xRuhwedel

I just replaced JVR with E Kane although they are similar. I moved your defense from a bottom 6 to a top 4 on defense. Overall I could live with your line up easily.

That 3rd line looks interesting, I really like it but just scared of the unknown until you see that they all can work and produce together.

How would you feel about moving Letang for Ristolinen(BUF)? save around 2 million in salary get a steady 2 way player. Not Letangs ilk but serviceable and affordable.

I wouldn't mind Evander Kane, but I have a strong suspicion he is going to try and stay with San Jose. He'd be stupid not to, if they want him back. He really seemed to fit in well there.

I mentioned Letang for Ristolainen as one of the few moves I thought could be possible. It's a stretch, but Ristolainen has struggled a bit with decision making similar to Letang, and Buffalo almost certainly is going to pickup Rasmus Dahlen #1 overall.

After hearing Sullivan, Rutherford, and Letang speak today though.....I don't think the Penguins are moving Letang. They'll let him try and bounce back with a full summer of recovery and training, and that is the right move no matter how much he frustrates the fan base.

I'm not for keeping Letang because the mistakes he's making are mental, not physical.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby LimerickPensFan on Wed May 09, 2018 6:29 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
E Kane-Malkin-Kessel
ZAR-Brassard-Sprong
Hagelin-Sheahan-Rust

Dumo-Letang
Maatta-UFA
Schultz-Oleksiak
xRuhwedel

I'm not for keeping Letang because the mistakes he's making are mental, not physical.

I think the mental mistakes are because he's trying to do too much. He needs to simplify his game. I think he can be great again, but only if he simplifies.
LimerickPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby OKpensfan247 on Wed May 09, 2018 6:39 pm

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Ryan-Wil ... /177/92794

Im not sure where I stand on Letang yet. Wanted to provide the above link to Ryan Wilson's article arguing to keep Letang in case anyone is interested. I appreciated the opposing perspective since I have leaned slightly towards exploring a trade the last couple days.
OKpensfan247
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby OKpensfan247 on Wed May 09, 2018 6:45 pm

Definitely agree the communication this offseason between coach and GM on team strategy/direction has to be better. No more Reaves type experiments if the coach is only going to play him 6 minutes a night.

I have not looked at UFA group yet, but also hope Rutherford addresses our needs more aggressively/quickly this offseason compared to last year if the players are available. We do not have as glaring of a need (3 and 4 C last year) this time around... But it better be obvious we need better depth scoring.
OKpensfan247
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby LimerickPensFan on Wed May 09, 2018 6:49 pm

I'd prefer a solid 2nd pair defenseman so we have very little chance of seeing Matt Hunwick giving up two goals in every game he plays.
LimerickPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed May 09, 2018 6:54 pm

OKpensfan247 wrote:Definitely agree the communication this offseason between coach and GM on team strategy/direction has to be better. No more Reaves type experiments if the coach is only going to play him 6 minutes a night.

I have not looked at UFA group yet, but also hope Rutherford addresses our needs more aggressively/quickly this offseason compared to last year if the players are available. We do not have as glaring of a need (3 and 4 C last year) this time around... But it better be obvious we need better depth scoring.

The Pens don't have the UFAs they did last season and don't have any cap space. To address needs it's going to have to involve trading the likes of Letang, Sheary, Hunwick, ect.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins