Official GDT: ROUND 2, GAME 6 - 5/7/18 Pens vs Caps

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official GDT: ROUND 2, GAME 6 - 5/7/18 Pens vs Caps

Postby Faubert5 on Mon May 07, 2018 9:26 pm

Antonio wrote:
America wrote:
iWonTheCup87 wrote:
IntangibleBeer wrote:When we look back on it, giving up Ian Cole was probably the missing piece that would have kept the team in the hunt. I don't think Brassard was the problem, but failing to replace Cole was.

This team needs more defense. We reload and go after it next year. With a better D, there's no reason this group can't hoist another Stanley Cup or two or three.

Are you kidding me? How is Cole going to solve the lack of depth production?

Letang was directly responsible (along with Murray) for losing this series. We can point to two guys and say it’s their fault.

Totally correct

That's true but without depth scoring it would have been a short series against Tampa.
Faubert5
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Formerly known as NashvilleCat - don't want any association with the Predators.

Postby pronovost19 on Mon May 07, 2018 9:27 pm

DelPen wrote:
sirik71 wrote:
America wrote:I watched the replay and Murray plays that breakaway horribly. Ship Letang, Brassard, and Murray on a one way ticket out of town.

I read your post over and over and ship this one out of this message board please :)

Why? It’s all true.

stuck with brassard for another year
nobody will want letang contract
murray has 2 cups and had a bad series...so did fluery many times..it happens
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Inkio on Mon May 07, 2018 9:27 pm

Murray hasn't been the same since he lost his Dad. I think he comes back strong next year. He may need a Summer to recuperate.

Think about this... He's 23 years old. He lost his father at 23. That's hard. Not to mention being a professional hockey goalie. That's a lot of pressure.

I think he returns to form next year.
Inkio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Mon May 07, 2018 9:27 pm

It’s not losing. If a team was better and won that’s fine. I can always accept that. But this series was a result of key players deciding to just crap on everything this team has worked for and made it easy for the Caps. They didn’t beat us. We beat ourselves. And that’s what pisses me off.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Abe Frohman on Mon May 07, 2018 9:28 pm

DelPen wrote:
Abe Frohman wrote:
IntangibleBeer wrote:
itissteeltime wrote:Brassard + Letang + 2nd rounder for Erik Karlsson

With Karlsson's achilles tendon issue (he's never been the same) waiting to go? I don't think so.

And if U hate Letang’s defense, U aren’t getting better zone play from Karlsson.

Does Karlsson shoot every **** shot into the defense?

No. U will definitely get better offense, but at what price? How many players will U give up AND are U willing to pay him close to $11M+ per year when he hits free agency? Drew Doughty will command the same ridiculous numbers. Who on the roster will U allow to walk in addition to those U need to package with Letang to get Ottawa to eat his contract? Or, do U trade Letang THEN let Karlsson walk after 1 year?

There are no good solutions to the ‘Letang problem.’ As I said when they did it, signing Letang was a mistake...and the Pens will be stuck with him thru 2022.
Abe Frohman
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pressure=9Pa on Mon May 07, 2018 9:28 pm

No one will pretend Murray had a good series, but he's earned the benefit of a bad series, or even a season. He's young, and can recover. MAF had some awful post seasons in the middle of his career as well. Letang on the other hand, has had enough chances.
pressure=9Pa
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pronovost19 on Mon May 07, 2018 9:28 pm

Inkio wrote:Murray hasn't been the same since he lost his Dad. I think he comes back strong next year. He may need a Summer to recuperate.

Think about this... He's 23 years old. He lost his father at 23. That's hard. Not to mention being a professional hockey goalie. That's a lot of pressure.

classy post and i agree...dude had a bad series...it happens
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Mon May 07, 2018 9:28 pm

Inkio wrote:Murray hasn't been the same since he lost his Dad. I think he comes back strong next year. He may need a Summer to recuperate.

I think he’s mentally done and will never recover.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tman1737 on Mon May 07, 2018 9:28 pm

IDK, I'd keep Brassard. With Sheahan, best C's in the league. Find a way to move Kessel, Hunwick, get help on D, give Sprong a go, and go from there.
tman1737
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Faubert5 on Mon May 07, 2018 9:29 pm

DelPen wrote:It’s not losing. If a team was better and won that’s fine. I can always accept that. But this series was a result of key players deciding to just crap on everything this team has worked for and made it easy for the Caps. They didn’t beat us. We beat ourselves. And that’s what pisses me off.

That's been the story all year. We have met the enemy and they is us.
Faubert5
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Formerly known as NashvilleCat - don't want any association with the Predators.

Postby tman1737 on Mon May 07, 2018 9:29 pm

BTW, do we have any UFA's this year??
tman1737
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Inkio on Mon May 07, 2018 9:30 pm

DelPen wrote:

I hope that's sarcasm. If not, damn lol.
Inkio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Mon May 07, 2018 9:30 pm

Faubert5 wrote:
DelPen wrote:It’s not losing. If a team was better and won that’s fine. I can always accept that. But this series was a result of key players deciding to just crap on everything this team has worked for and made it easy for the Caps. They didn’t beat us. We beat ourselves. And that’s what pisses me off.

That's been the story all year. We have met the enemy and they is us.

Have been every single year since 1992 except for 2008 and 2015
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Malkintent on Mon May 07, 2018 9:30 pm

America wrote:I watched the replay and Murray plays that breakaway horribly. Ship Letang, Brassard, and Murray on a one way ticket out of town.

That's what I'm saying. It's usually hard to blame a goalie for a breakaway but his 5 hole was wide open.
Malkintent
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: Please help my dog https://www.gofundme.com/sumdm7d8

Postby Faubert5 on Mon May 07, 2018 9:30 pm

pressure=9Pa wrote:No one will pretend Murray had a good series, but he's earned the benefit of a bad series, or even a season. He's young, and can recover. MAF had some awful post seasons in the middle of his career as well. Letang on the other hand, has had enough chances.

Yes, if anything this Letang should be at the peak of his hockey IQ. The sad part is he may be.
Faubert5
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby LimerickPensFan on Mon May 07, 2018 9:31 pm

He was fine between losing his Dad and getting the concussion. In fact, he was pretty spectacular during that time. He hasn't been the same since returning from the concussion, though.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DelPen on Mon May 07, 2018 9:31 pm

Inkio wrote:
DelPen wrote:

It’s not. He was out way too long this year for whatever reasons and it’s not going to get better
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby wondermoose on Mon May 07, 2018 9:31 pm

Brassard will be fine. The entire depth after Crosby's line got injured in the last handful of games and they got Letang'ed. Malkin, Phil, and Brassard all missed time (I'm including Phil because he simply didn't show up this spring). Couple that with a fourth line that never scored (welcome back to the fold, Craig Ada... I mean, Carter Rowney) and a defense-optional mindset and this is what you get.

Weird thing about Letang is I thought his injuries would force him to chill out and focus on defense. Man, was I wrong.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Inkio on Mon May 07, 2018 9:32 pm

I'm curious to hear how many injuries Kessel has.
Inkio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sirik71 on Mon May 07, 2018 9:32 pm

Some here definitely have lost perspective, Murray was the reason we were still in this game and blaming Letang for making a good pass to our captain is the easy way out. Everybody gave it their everything, unfortunately it just wasn't enough. That happens, be dissapointed but keep your head up high and support the players who made this incredible run possible in the first place.
Last edited by sirik71 on Mon May 07, 2018 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sirik71

Postby Pitt87 on Mon May 07, 2018 9:33 pm

pressure=9Pa wrote:No one will pretend Murray had a good series, but he's earned the benefit of a bad series, or even a season. He's young, and can recover. MAF had some awful post seasons in the middle of his career as well. Letang on the other hand, has had enough chances.

Enough chances... He nearly had a career ending heart condition and wss severely injured last season. Need to deal with whatever is happening in his head - he might not be able to overcome it frankly - but Tanger has had a tough go too.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Malkintent on Mon May 07, 2018 9:33 pm

DelPen wrote:

Seriously? Based on what?
Malkintent
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve on Mon May 07, 2018 9:33 pm

Great run, the Pens were just out of gas. Two cups in the last two years takes the sting off of this loss for me at least.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pronovost19 on Mon May 07, 2018 9:35 pm

great run and 9 straight series wins. see you next year. disappointed but not down and out.
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Malkintent on Mon May 07, 2018 9:35 pm

DelPen wrote:
Inkio wrote:
DelPen wrote:

It’s not. He was out way too long this year for whatever reasons and it’s not going to get better

And you know this how?
Malkintent
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins