SCP18 Game 5 vs Caps - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

SCP18 Game 5 vs Caps - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Sun May 06, 2018 9:44 am

Pens lose 6-3

- The game was the Pens to win, home ice gave the Caps the edge
- Letang's mistakes on the tying and winning goal will draw the ire of Pens fans, but they will need him to win the series
- Phil, Geno, Horny... they have to be banged up, cause they are not showing what we've seen from them so many times
- Caps used the home ice to bring it on in a strong third period. The move of Vrana up to the top line was the difference
- its almost like the number of penalties are decided before the game, it matters not what gets called, just as long as the calls are there. Some horrible calls and non calls
- Kuznetsov and the bird cele. I want to be irritated at it, but its so ridiculous looking that it almost seems fitting
- Game Six in the 'burgh on Monday night is going to be big, Pens with their backs against the wall.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: SCP18 Game 5 vs Caps - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Antonio on Sun May 06, 2018 9:57 am

Letang
Murray
Letang
Murray
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby America on Sun May 06, 2018 9:59 am

Murray just isn’t good and the weak defense is exposing him.
America
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Wyopen on Sun May 06, 2018 10:09 am

If the series wasn’t 3-2 Caps, I’d consider starting DeSmith to send a message, but I know we can’t take the chance. Does anyone think the reason why Murray did so good the past two playoffs was because Fleury was waiting in the shadows and he did want to lose the starting role to another number one goaltender?
Wyopen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby America on Sun May 06, 2018 10:16 am

Wyopen wrote:If the series wasn’t 3-2 Caps, I’d consider starting DeSmith to send a message, but I know we can’t take the chance. Does anyone think the reason why Murray did so good the past two playoffs was because Fleury was waiting in the shadows and he did want to lose the starting role to another number one goaltender?

100%
America
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pronovost19 on Sun May 06, 2018 10:28 am

Wyopen wrote:If the series wasn’t 3-2 Caps, I’d consider starting DeSmith to send a message, but I know we can’t take the chance. Does anyone think the reason why Murray did so good the past two playoffs was because Fleury was waiting in the shadows and he did want to lose the starting role to another number one goaltender?

50%
The other 50% is playing like he did have someone that could back him up. The double edged sword....didnt wanna get replaced but played more on instinct and stayed calm. He could play without any pressure. Now he is the ONE....all that was on MAF before. He was just the "replacement" but now that all the pressure is on him he is trying too hard and gripping the stick a little too tightly.
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby lemieuxReturns on Sun May 06, 2018 10:31 am

Once again Murray has a horrible game after not attending practice the day before. Why does no one on the team see this?

Every eve of a game that I see Murray didn’t attend practice I roll my eyes knowing what to expect.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby penny lane on Sun May 06, 2018 10:32 am

The pens have needed more goals scored in this series.
I worry about Phil, still not strong on the puck.
They have run into bad puck luck. Time for that to change.
Maybe no Backstrom , doesn't matter.
Rest today begin again tomorrow!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Risto on Sun May 06, 2018 10:48 am

Antonio wrote:Letang
Murray
Letang
Murray

Letang was the best defenseman in hockey 2 years ago- or at least right up there with Karlsson. Now he can't even sort out a rush in a playoff game. He's got a lot of miles on those tires in 12 years. It's fair to wonder if he's not just worn out mentally, if not physically.

Murray has been inconsistent all year and he's way off his career averages. There's another pretty good hockey team out there on the ice and they are going to get their share of scoring chances. The Pens need more key saves than they're getting.

On a positive note, that was easily Brassard's best game of the playoffs. His line was consistently dangerous all night and even dominated possession at times. Although, again...no goals.

Also a nice bounceback game for Phil...right up until yet another ghastly giveaway killed any chance of tying the game.

Maata's miss on that open net was, again, just emblematic of the lack of offensive contributions from most of the lineup.
Risto
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby KG on Sun May 06, 2018 11:17 am

Murray has been inconsistent obviously. Goaltending is a very mental position. Can’t underestimate the loss of his Father this season. Kid is only 23. To lose your dad that young has to impact him in many ways.

I had the thoughts that if the Pens won again Sid would hand the Cup to Murray first. I’m not ready to give up on that thought yet.

Take it back to Washington!
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Durbano on Sun May 06, 2018 11:49 am

Didn't catch the stat until this morning but the Pens were 24-0-2 this season when leading after two periods. Granted, many if not most of those games probably weren't against teams as good as Washington, but still.

Whatever allowed Murray to rise to the occasion in postseasons past is gone for now. He's not the only reason they're behind, but he's the main one. And he has shown nothing this season to make anyone believe he's about to turn it around, nor has Holtby shown anything in the playoffs to indicate an impending implosion.

The Pens' postgame comments make me think the series ends tomorrow. Sid excluded, it sounded more like whistling past the graveyard than determination.
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby brwi on Sun May 06, 2018 12:15 pm

I'm a big Murray fan, but he's become a liability this series and just isn't the same Murray as the past 2 post seasons. It's probably due to a lack of consistent work due to his injuries + his father passing away. Not having MAF around probably hurts a bit too. He shows flashes of "old" Murray some, then it's back to being iffy and not coming up with the big save when needed. A lot is made of the Caps targeting high glove, but he was shrugging off several with his left shoulder last night, it was suddenly a five hole issue that he's never shown before and being down and staying deep in his net. Signs of not the greatest confidence. On the other side, you have Holtby coming way out beyond the crease to kill angles on like the Brassard attempt last night and one in Game 4. Lot of confidence and he's had a few breaks too.

Letang is just a wreck. It doesn't matter if you can play effective 90% of the time when the 10% of suck are goals against. 2 years ago he was at his best and he's dropped like a rock. It's probably mental and physical at this point and I don't think it's going to improve in the future. Pens are stuck with this anchor.

4th line at least looked the best of any Pens 4th line in a long time. While they didn't score, they had lots of zone time which is what you really want in a 4th line, and they were also on the ice when Olesiak scored, creating the opportunity.

Malkin looked like he was lethargic. Phil wasn't and was actually seen behind his own goal battling for pucks a couple of times and had a great shot on Sid's deflection, but he's still in a large group of guys who can't get the puck in the net right now. Going to need it if there are 2 more games because Pens are going to have to be like the Game 4 Pens and give up a little in offensive opportunities to play tight team defense. Can't rely on Murray bailing you out right now.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Southern Fan on Sun May 06, 2018 12:18 pm

Flyers game 5 = Caps game 3 = Caps game 5. Groundhog Day
Matt Murray instead of Bill Murray

Carlson had about twenty seconds to line up his shot on the first goal over Murray’s left shoulder. Way to take away the lane killers

Hagelin is a difference maker but not enough

Worst Capitals team in years and this may be the year they get past the second round.

Game of tweaks and inches. This is still salvageable
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Biggems on Sun May 06, 2018 12:33 pm

Kessel is weak minded....What I mean by that, is he allows negativity to get into his head and fester and affect his game long term. Once, he has a poor game, it weighs on him and he has more poor games. If he can just get one positive play early in game 6, it could change his mindset around.

As for Malkin, IMO, he is gutting through lots of pain. We need him to get well and in a hurry, cause we are now in survival mode the next 2 games.

We will need a lot more offensively than Sid and Jake. I want more out of Malkin, Kessel, Rust, Sheary, and Kuhnhackl.

I am pleased with Hagelin, Hornqvist, and Dumoulin (especially his blocking).
Biggems

Postby Southern Fan on Sun May 06, 2018 12:47 pm

I didn’t see the Trotz commented play when he implies Guentzel should be suspended for a Carlson hit.

I assume it’s Trotz being a d-bag reaching Jim schoenfeld , Bruce Boudreau status. Just thought he was a perennial loser when he coached Nashville

“Standard has been set “. Great
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Sun May 06, 2018 1:42 pm

We all said that Letang's defensive, erm uh, prowess would be the undoing for this year's team. Well, what do you know - two plays where he just stopped defending end up putting the team on the brink.

What is saddest is that I thought Letang was having his best game of the season through the second. He was dynamic in all the right ways. But I guess that is just how his season has gone. It's tough to accept the bad with the good when it doesn't seem like the bad should be necessary.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Zalapski33 on Sun May 06, 2018 1:47 pm

The 3rd period was a complete reversal from how the Pens had outplayed the Caps for most of that game,it seemed like the Kuznetsov goal took away the momentum.Still can't understand what Letang was doing there.

Murray has obviously not played at the level of his 2 Cup runs,I would not be surprised if the emotional toll from losing his Father has played a part in this,and it could be said that not having MAF waiting in the wings may have a slight effect as well.Going forward to Game 6,the Pens have to play a superior defensive game,even better than Game 4

Hard to overcome the lack of any forwards being able to score.Kessel,Brassard and Rust have all been very good playoff performers throughout their careers but have not been able to get a single goal.Brassard has had plenty of changes and just seems snakebit.Like most fans I believe Kessel has an injury which is affecting his game and his decisions in the offensive zone.

Malkin looked tired late in the game,and they need a top effort from him if they want to win these last 2 games.Simon has had some terrible giveaways and his lazy penalty hurt them when the Pens had a ton of momentum.Sullivan has to consider going back to Hornqvist on Crosby's line and going with Hagelin and Rust with Malkin and seeing if their speed opens things up.

Can go on and on about Letang,but he will be out there a lot and the only way to go for him is to play a simple game and not make the mental mistakes that have cost the Pens so often.His decision making continually costs this team and with no margin for error,he can't commit a blunder like he did on the Kuznetsov goal.

I still believe this team has the ability to draw off its pride and experience from the last 2 years.Every game in this series has been up for grabs for the most part,and I can't expect anything different in Game 6.Let's see them same defensive effort they showed in Game 4 and get this to a Game 7
Zalapski33

Postby Pitt87 on Sun May 06, 2018 2:05 pm

I think Murray has been fine - soft at times, not game-stealing good, but good enough throughout - but is absolutely exposed by overmatched Letang vs. Cals top line. Somehow they both let the puck and a free stick wide open around the net.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Maestro on Sun May 06, 2018 2:19 pm

Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby 14Thumb on Sun May 06, 2018 3:59 pm

My issue with Murray is he has zero puck control. Every shot leads to a scramble in front of the net. This playoff season, he rarely absorbs the puck to bring a face off. I have zero confidence in him right now.
14Thumb

Postby pressure=9Pa on Sun May 06, 2018 4:30 pm

I think we're missing MAF as much as a pseudo-assistant goaltenders coach. Fleury had some playoff stinkers in terms of games, rounds, and seasons. He also bounced back and became a top-ten goalie again. Whether much was spoken I'll never know, but just seeing Fleury daily probably helped calm and refocus Murray. There's no reason to throw in the towel on the kid at this point, but this series has been far from the expectations he's set.
pressure=9Pa
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Humperdink on Sun May 06, 2018 4:51 pm

Trotz: "“I know the standard's been set...."

Yep, the standard's been set. When the NHL sees Carlson drinking all his meals through a straw, they will re-evaluate the hit. Until then, just shut up.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Sun May 06, 2018 4:58 pm

The Pens continuing to play Simon when he has shown ZERO offensive impact has drawn criticism but if he's going to take lazy penalties how can HCMS continue to play him. I think HCDB played favorites and it hurt him sad to see Sully falling into that same trap.

Letang's play is maddening. There were red flags all season that he is now a 2nd pairing defenseman and only a shell of himself but those flags were ignored. The Pens need to stop paying 2M plus for a guy in Hunwick who can't beat out Ruhwedel who isn't an everyday NHL player.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Steve on Sun May 06, 2018 5:13 pm

Humperdink wrote:Trotz: "“I know the standard's been set...."

Yep, the standard's been set. When the NHL sees Carlson drinking all his meals through a straw, they will re-evaluate the hit. Until then, just shut up.

The only bright side if the Caps do advance, is that they may actually extend this clown.

I wouldn't write off the Pens just yet though...
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pronovost19 on Sun May 06, 2018 5:34 pm

I have a good friend who is a huge Caps fan. He is praying the Penguins come back and win because he wants rid of Trotz. That is how bad they think of Trotz in Cap land.
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins