Is It Time For Phil To Sit A Game or Two?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Is It Time For Phil To Sit A Game or Two?

Postby Badger Bob on Fri May 04, 2018 8:04 am

It's extremely obviously that Phil has some kind of injury. At what point do you say he's more of a detriment than a positive? He's not shooting the puck at all. The whiff in Game 4 was actually sad. With that shot not available, especially on the Power Play, he's just not helping the cause. Perhaps they at least need someone on the number one power play in his spot. Maybe put Jake out there on the first unit? Or have both Schultz and Letang on the points with Letang taking on a more offensive role.

I'm wondering if Phil has a couple broken ribs? That might explain the hesitancy to shoot.

I freakin' love Phil the Thrill, but right now he looks to be a shell of his usual self.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Is It Time For Phil To Sit A Game or Two?

Postby pressure=9Pa on Fri May 04, 2018 8:08 am

He can't sit as there are not enough warm bodies behind him. Need to leave the PP duties to someone else though.
pressure=9Pa
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Badger Bob on Fri May 04, 2018 8:11 am

Probably not a time to experiment, but I wouldn't mind seeing what Sprong could do in the lineup. The experience factor certainly comes into play and he's not the most defensive minded player. Phil's not exactly the most defensive minded player either.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Fri May 04, 2018 8:26 am

If he’s actually hurt and that’s the reason his performance is down, I doubt it’s something that sitting him for a game or two would fix. There was speculation he got hurt like two months ago. If they could have sat him for a few games and it would have been fine, they would have done so (regardless of his iron man streak). If it’s an injury, my guess is it’s something that won’t be corrected until he can have surgery. I’d argue a less effective Kessel is still better than the alternative, though it is a fair discussion that maybe they should reduce his role. Again, if he’s actually significantly injured. Anytime somebody struggles, he’s obviously injured whether or not he actually is.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby penny lane on Fri May 04, 2018 8:32 am

I think he comes through on the road Saturday. The stronger Evgeni and Carl become, opens ice for Phil.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: “Some people are so much sunshine to the square inch.” ~WW

Postby E-Ramone on Fri May 04, 2018 8:38 am

I agree that he seems to have been off since that slide into the boards. He looked really bad last night, especially on the PP. I think he at least needs to be off the 1st unit as how much respect is going to get from other teams if we as fans are seeing it? Surely other teams are as well and adjusting to not focus as much on him on the right side which is obviously a disadvantage to the whole unit.
E-Ramone
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pronovost19 on Fri May 04, 2018 8:51 am

I believe that HCMS has weighed the options and determined that leaving Phil in the lineup is best. That said, he moved 12 to the top line in hopes that 72 and 62 could get Malkin into more of a shooter mentality. Those adjustments are not made without discussion and deep thinking. I realize Phil is hurting, but if HCMS has made the decision to keep him in the lineup, it is after great consideration.
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Badger Bob on Fri May 04, 2018 9:01 am

Believe me, I would have loved to see Phil get the patented Phil Kessel wicked wrister from the left dot instead of that whiff. You know that the Caps realize that he's far from 100%. He certainly a pretty good playmaker (underrated in my opinion), but having that shot there on the PP is important. I guess you keep him in the lineup, but it might be time to put him on the second unit if he can't really get an effective shot off. You can't overlook the experience factor in the playoffs.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Cow_Master66 on Fri May 04, 2018 9:05 am

Can't sit him but I'd move him to the PP2 and move Guentz up. Move Crosby over to Kessel's side on PP1.
Cow_Master66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Southern Fan on Fri May 04, 2018 9:06 am

He did create the play that Malkin scored. I’d just cut his time which seems to be what Sullivan did.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Badger Bob on Fri May 04, 2018 1:45 pm

FWIW (from after practice today):

Sully on Kessel's health: "I don’t think Phil more banged up than anybody else. It’s a physical series, and everybody has bumps and bruises. That's just par for the course this time of year. I don't think there's a team left in the playoffs that doesn't have bumps and bruises"

Sometimes when Phil's output is put into question is when he ends up having an amazing outburst. Maybe he has Washington right where he wants them. :wink:
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Fri May 04, 2018 2:38 pm

Of course, Sullivan isn’t going to let on even if he is significantly injured.

I think it’s being overblown, though. Although he did slow down over the stretch run and his goal scoring was down, he was still showing that he was capable of his typical shot (see the second to last regular season game vs Columbus). I don’t doubt he’s banged up, but I think he’s also just off his game for whatever reason.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Puck-Lurker on Fri May 04, 2018 3:36 pm

No.

Kessel is love.
Kessel is life.

No.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Fri May 04, 2018 3:45 pm

I can think of a lot of players I would sit for a game or two before Phil.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby flame on Fri May 04, 2018 4:05 pm

I wouldn’t sit him unless the rest would help.. which it doesn’t seem like it would. I do think the PP would be better off without him though unless he’s able to shoot the puck. He also has looked like he’s been skating in quick sand, when he turns it over I hold my breath.
flame
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby nastystang05 on Fri May 04, 2018 4:12 pm

I think they need to take him off the PP and replace him with Letang. No other RHS I can't think that would be good in the spot.
nastystang05
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pruezy11881 on Fri May 04, 2018 4:48 pm

nastystang05 wrote:I think they need to take him off the PP and replace him with Letang. No other RHS I can't think that would be good in the spot.

Schultz would do well there as would Sprong
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Sat May 05, 2018 10:50 am

I can't LOL loud enough at this suggestion. Just NO.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Antonio on Sat May 05, 2018 12:22 pm

The irony is that this series is tied and we really should have won game 3 and possibly could have won game 2, and this is with 2 players pretty much producing all the offense. If Kessel was producing (and a few others), and the NHL wasn't screwing us like a 2 dollar whore every game, we could be up 3-1 or even 4-0 right now.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Maestro on Sat May 05, 2018 4:18 pm

81 questionable. Likely to play. If not, Sprong will take his place.
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Sat May 05, 2018 5:50 pm

One blogger site going with the Kessel sits tonight!
Go with God, Coach Sullivan in making this decision.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: “Some people are so much sunshine to the square inch.” ~WW

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins