Matt Hunwick is terrible

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Matt Hunwick is terrible

Postby Great58 on Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:42 am

Puck-Lurker wrote:Didn't lose tonight because of Matt Hunwick. That said, he was part of the problem.

This team won't win in the playoffs until they are playing as a 5 man unit. Singling out one guy isn't fair. While I'd rather have Cole in the lineup, the last three losses aren't on Cole's absence or Hunwick's presence in the game, the entire team is off. The fourth line sucks, except it's center. The first line has underwhelmed for weeks. And the third line is giving odd man chances like Cheerleaders handouts postgame on Centre Ave. And we haven't had consistently good goaltending since we left Carolina.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Henry Hank on Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:23 pm

Full blown whipping boy status. There's no way a bottom pairing defenseman influences the team this much. There just isn't.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens_CT on Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:29 pm

Henry Hank wrote:Full blown whipping boy status. There's no way a bottom pairing defenseman influences the team this much. There just isn't.

I agree but you would like to have some stability on that pairing so you aren’t forced to play the top four even more excessive minutes in the playoffs.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:42 pm

pens_CT wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:Full blown whipping boy status. There's no way a bottom pairing defenseman influences the team this much. There just isn't.

I agree but you would like to have some stability on that pairing so you aren’t forced to play the top four even more excessive minutes in the playoffs.

Hunwick hasn't been good all season. Cole and Oleksiak were an adequate defense pairing. Not to say they didn't get beat, but not to the extent Hunwick-Oleksiak is right now. Oleksiak, after looking brilliant and like a sure steal his first several weeks here, suddenly looks like the defenseman Dallas was eager to give away.

Odd coincidence that Oleksiak falling off an Everest sized cliff directly coincided with being paired with Hunwick. When I went to the Florida game, while I was rather close to the ice, I couldn't hear the communication out there. But there were multiple times where I say Oleksiak giving direction to Hunwick (pointing to take that man on a rush into their zone, etc) where Hunwick seemed to just ignore Oleksiak.

I don't want to say all this is Hunwick's fault, but, there is enough concern that I would be giving a try to Ruhwedel over Hunwick for a few games.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Kharlamov on Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:27 pm

There always has to be one.

Ryan Whitney - 2005-2009
Paul Martin - 2010
Zbynek Michalek - 2011
Ben Lovejoy - 2012
Rob Scuderi - 2013-2016
Mark Streit - 2017
Matt Hunwick - 2018-??
Kharlamov
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby eddiefromirwin on Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:53 pm

Brassard will soon become a whipping boy if he continues to be pretty invisible, and will be tied to the loss of Cole and Hunwick's deficiencies.
eddiefromirwin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Humperdink on Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:13 pm

eddiefromirwin wrote:Brassard will soon become a whipping boy if he continues to be pretty invisible, and will be tied to the loss of Cole and Hunwick's deficiencies.

Kessel took some abuse when he arrived. Now? Not so much. Make that none. I think if Brassard performs close to his capabilities, he'll be OK.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Antonio on Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:40 pm

Regardless of how brassard turns out, no one can seriously argue they wouldn't have given up Cole to get him at 3m for 2 years. Come on.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:13 pm

Jesus, can we give Brassard a few games to get acclimated to a new team and system?? The dude was over the top excited to come here. He will be kicking ass soon enough.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby lemieuxReturns on Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:15 pm

Antonio wrote:Regardless of how brassard turns out, no one can seriously argue they wouldn't have given up Cole to get him at 3m for 2 years. Come on.

No one is suggesting that. What people are having a hard time with is the fact Ottawa got a 3rd for Cole and we still have over 1.5 in cap space. Why not offer a third to Ottawa to keep Cole? Send down Kuhn or similar at .6 and call it a day?
Last edited by lemieuxReturns on Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Antonio on Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:17 pm

Oh I don't disagree we shouldn't have gotten rid of Cole. I just am referring to the people acting like brassard was a bad pick up and or it was a bad trade.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Great58 on Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:09 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:
Antonio wrote:Regardless of how brassard turns out, no one can seriously argue they wouldn't have given up Cole to get him at 3m for 2 years. Come on.

No one is suggesting that. What people are having a hard time with is the fact Ottawa got a 3rd for Cole and we still have over 1.5 in cap space. Why not offer a third to Ottawa to keep Cole? Send down Kuhn or similar at .6 and call it a day?

I'm convinced Sullivan and therefore Rutherford didn't want Cole, because he certainly could have been retained or reacquired if they had wanted to.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby itissteeltime on Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:07 pm

The "sky is falling" people are very annoying. This team will be fine.
itissteeltime
AHL'er
AHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins