Brassard to Pit

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Brassard to Pit

Postby ville5 on Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:33 am

lemieuxReturns wrote:
ville5 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Here it is straight from the CBA, section 50.5,sub items (e) (iii)(A)

For the remaining term of Traded Player's SPC, the Club from
which the Player is Traded may agree to retain no more than fifty
(50) percent of the Averaged Amount of such SPC's remaining
term ("Retained Salary Transaction" and the particular SPC, a
"Retained Salary SPC"). In each Retained Salary Transaction, the
percentage allocation of the retained Averaged Amount cannot be
altered from year to year.

Altered year to year just means cant do 40% one season then 50% the next.

So then how can you do 40% and 0%.

If one year retentions were allowed, there wouldn't be any other years. :tongue:
The press release originally said retention for the rest of this season.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:35 am

I love it when other teams are paying parts of Pens' players salary, especially in cases like Kessel. :fist:

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby blurryhaze312 on Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:46 am

Any word if he'll actually play today?
blurryhaze312
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby netwolf on Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:49 am

Love this deal. Would've love to have kept Cole, but the reality is he was their #5 and wasn't getting re-signed after the season. Gus is at least 2 years away from the NHL, and would still be behind Murray and Jarry, the 1st rounder is hopefully a later one anyhow, and while Reaves was playing better lately, he never fit. Whether capable of more minutes or not, he wasn't getting them, and you can't roll lines with a guy only trusted to play ~8 minutes a night.

And in return for that, we get a guy on pace for 50+ points to play on our THIRD line with KESSEL? For this year AND next? And someone else is picking up 40% of his salary? Thanks, Vegas!
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ville5 on Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:01 pm

The Senators don’t generate much offensive zone time at 5-on-5 (they rank 30th with just 36.7 per cent of their even-strength ice time spent in the offensive zone, while Pittsburgh ranks fifth at 40.3 per cent), and as such it’s harder for Brassard to get many scoring opportunities, but he’s way above team average both in shot production and playmaking ability at even strength, which should lead to even more impressive offensive numbers with a Penguins team that has the second-most dynamic even-strength offence in the league after the Toronto Maple Leafs.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/pitt ... sard-deal/
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby penny lane on Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:39 pm

blurryhaze312 wrote:Any word if he'll actually play today?

Bruce Garrioch
‏Verified account @SunGarrioch
5m5 minutes ago

Derick Brassard says he is waiting on visa paperwork. Hopes to be in Pittsburgh by Tuesday. #Sens
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BurghThing on Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:19 pm

Dion Phaneuf was traded Tuesday night and was in the lineup Thursday. I think the Canadian officials are screwing with us.
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Mango Salsa on Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:33 pm

BurghThing wrote:Dion Phaneuf was traded Tuesday night and was in the lineup Thursday. I think the Canadian officials are screwing with us.

I wonder if it being the weekend has anything to do with it. Phaneuf was traded on a week day. Maybe the Visa folks don't work Saturdays.
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:48 pm

So what are the lines looking like?

Guentzel - Crosby - Rust
Hagelin - Malkin - Hornqvist
ZAR- Brassard - Kessel
Sheary - Sheahan - Simon
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Maestro on Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:57 pm

I think Rowney may be in over Simon (RH faceoff)

I can't imagine breaking up Jake and Phil [at least on the lineup sheet] seeing how well they are playing together.
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby itissteeltime on Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:22 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:So what are the lines looking like?

Guentzel - Crosby - Rust
ZAR- Brassard - Kessel
Sheary - Sheahan - Simon

Guentzel - Brassard - Kessel
itissteeltime
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:50 pm

ZAR-Crosby-Sheary
Hagelin-Malkin-Hornqvist
Guentzel-Brassard-Kessel
Simon-Sheahan-Rust
xKuhnhackl, Rowney

I'd keep Phil and Jake together, and I'd keep Hags and Horny together. Sid looked awful last night with Simon, but everytime he played between ZAR and Sheary double shifting, they generated offense. Simon has really crashed back down to reality hard. He's close to not getting a spot in the lineup, in fact when Kuhnhackl is ready I would swap 34 and 12.

I wouldn't put Rowney in for now, unless we get into a series where we are having trouble winning draws.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby thehockeyguru on Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:52 pm

FLPensFan wrote:ZAR-Crosby-Sheary
Hagelin-Malkin-Hornqvist
Guentzel-Brassard-Kessel
Simon-Sheahan-Rust
xKuhnhackl, Rowney

I'd keep Phil and Jake together, and I'd keep Hags and Horny together. Sid looked awful last night with Simon, but everytime he played between ZAR and Sheary double shifting, they generated offense. Simon has really crashed back down to reality hard. He's close to not getting a spot in the lineup, in fact when Kuhnhackl is ready I would swap 34 and 12.

I wouldn't put Rowney in for now, unless we get into a series where we are having trouble winning draws.

I feel like you've gotta find a way to move Sheary for Kane.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Puck-Lurker on Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:52 pm

itissteeltime wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:So what are the lines looking like?

Guentzel - Crosby - Rust
ZAR- Brassard - Kessel
Sheary - Sheahan - Simon

Guentzel - Brassard - Kessel

ZAR-Crosby-Rust
Hagelin-Malkin-Hörnqvist
Guentzel-Brassard-Kessel
Rowney-Sheahan-Sheary
xKühnhackl
xSimon (WBS when Kühnhackl returns)

Dumoulin-Letang
Määttä-Schultz
Hunwick-Oleksiak
xRuhwedel (when healthy)

Murray
Jarry

Something like that. I just know they're going to put Sheary RW. I don't like it, but that's the way it is (cue Run-DMC). Simon wants to get dressed, he can do that in Wilkes-Barre or stop playing like Scuderi's stunt double.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Daniel on Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:09 pm

Steve wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:
Steve wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:So Sheahan stays our 3c? Because so many were convinced he was GMJR's 3c solution.

GMJR laughs at you.

GMJR doesn't strike me as someone who would be that petty and immature to laugh at posters about something like that.

It's called sarcasm because so many people were disappointed that Sheahan was apparently the 3c fix.

I get the sarcasm, my response was obviously sarcastic as well.

Your post however was the first I've heard of any disappointment from posters that Sheahan is not going to be the 3C. I think many were starting to warm up to the idea, which was helped by some stats (facts) that were posted comparing Sheahan's stats to Bonino's stats.

Personally, I agreed with FLPens and others who posted that we would be in great shape if we could acquire a 3C and have Sheahan as our 4C - I think most posters seemed to agree with this. I was not crazy about the trade at first, so I'm glad that I was wrong about that, it's turned out really well so far.

My thoughts have always been that Sheahan is about as good as Bonino and the Pens need to improve 4C, but if they can improve 3C, why not. Brassard does both of these things, and for really a minimal loss. Frankly, if you consider the gain in cap space, it's likely less than a trade for Letestu.

Brassard probably won't play the PK, but neither did Reaves, so that's awash. The PK will be fine, the 3rd line will be improved, as will the 4th line (both with Sheahan and Reaves replacement). As much as I like Sheahan between Kessel and Jake, I absolutely LOVE the idea of Brassard between Kessel and Jake (or the KGB line as someone else mentioned).

I know he was making a joke, but the people who like Sheahan aren't going to be upset about an overall team improvement.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Daniel on Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:13 pm

Mango Salsa wrote:
BurghThing wrote:Dion Phaneuf was traded Tuesday night and was in the lineup Thursday. I think the Canadian officials are screwing with us.

I wonder if it being the weekend has anything to do with it. Phaneuf was traded on a week day. Maybe the Visa folks don't work Saturdays.

Or Phaneuf already being in America on a roadtrip and wasn't crossing the border and would deal with the visa later, compared to Brassard who was in Canada and had to deal with the visa right away?
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Puck-Lurker on Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:20 pm

Daniel wrote:
Steve wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:
Steve wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:So Sheahan stays our 3c? Because so many were convinced he was GMJR's 3c solution.

GMJR laughs at you.

GMJR doesn't strike me as someone who would be that petty and immature to laugh at posters about something like that.

It's called sarcasm because so many people were disappointed that Sheahan was apparently the 3c fix.

I get the sarcasm, my response was obviously sarcastic as well.

Your post however was the first I've heard of any disappointment from posters that Sheahan is not going to be the 3C. I think many were starting to warm up to the idea, which was helped by some stats (facts) that were posted comparing Sheahan's stats to Bonino's stats.

Personally, I agreed with FLPens and others who posted that we would be in great shape if we could acquire a 3C and have Sheahan as our 4C - I think most posters seemed to agree with this. I was not crazy about the trade at first, so I'm glad that I was wrong about that, it's turned out really well so far.

My thoughts have always been that Sheahan is about as good as Bonino and the Pens need to improve 4C, but if they can improve 3C, why not. Brassard does both of these things, and for really a minimal loss. Frankly, if you consider the gain in cap space, it's likely less than a trade for Letestu.

Brassard probably won't play the PK, but neither did Reaves, so that's awash. The PK will be fine, the 3rd line will be improved, as will the 4th line (both with Sheahan and Reaves replacement). As much as I like Sheahan between Kessel and Jake, I absolutely LOVE the idea of Brassard between Kessel and Jake (or the KGB line as someone else mentioned).

I know he was making a joke, but the people who like Sheahan aren't going to be upset about an overall team improvement.

Sheahan with less minutes in even strength can either eat more PK minutes, or have more in the tank while on the PK.

I too thought Sheahan was basically Bones come back to us. Getting better, that's fine, I'll take it! Sheahan is not a 4C, but man.. what luxury. Malkin as 2C, Brassard as 3C, Sheahan as 4C. Just about any other team, each of those plays a line higher by default.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ville5 on Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:49 pm

FLPensFan wrote:ZAR-Crosby-Sheary
Hagelin-Malkin-Hornqvist
Guentzel-Brassard-Kessel
Simon-Sheahan-Rust
xKuhnhackl, Rowney

Hopefully they can now cut down on double shifting Sid and Geno.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:07 pm

Daniel wrote:
Mango Salsa wrote:

Or Phaneuf already being in America on a roadtrip and wasn't crossing the border and would deal with the visa later, compared to Brassard who was in Canada and had to deal with the visa right away?

I have a feeling the weekend thing has an impact, although, you would think for how often this type of stuff occurs in the NHL, they would have their own office that handles this type of stuff.

Phaneuf got traded on a Tuesday and played on again on a Thursday. Brassard trade became official after 9pm last night. Figured it was going to be tough getting him here. If the deal would have went through around 2pm when it first came out, then it may have been different.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby BurghThing on Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:22 pm

Wonder what number he will sport. Be nice if I could get a new nameplate for my #19 jersey.
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Southern Fan on Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:54 pm

Puck Lurker

Give me power ball numbers.

You called the Cole for Brassard trade in the Ottawa game day thread after the Cole fight.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Puck-Lurker on Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:56 pm

Southern Fan wrote:Puck Lurker

Give me power ball numbers.

You called the Cole for Brassard trade in the Ottawa game day thread after the Cole fight.

Shh, we don't want Jim to notice :fist:
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins