Favorite all time Penguin

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Favorite all time Penguin

Postby Steve Dave on Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:27 pm

Steve Dave wrote:For some reason, I always liked Slegr. Barnaby was fun to watch. Loved Morozov’s reaction when Kaspar KO’d Lindros.

I liked Oliwa too.

Wright
Slegr
Barnaby
Morozov
Oliwa
Straka-Lang-Kovalev
Wregget
Kasparaitis
Boughner
Lacouture
Berehowsky
Armstrong
Roberts
Ruutu
Kunitz
Emgelland
Asham
Dumoulin
Cullen
Guentzel
Schultz
Hornqvist
Last edited by Steve Dave on Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Weegie on Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:31 pm

I also liked Ron Stackhouse, big shot from the point, big guy who wasn't very physical even though the fans wanted him to be. If I recall correctly the Flyers were very interested in obtaining him, glad they didn't!
Weegie
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby penny lane on Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:26 am

Nope I can't pick just one!
The 1998 - 1999 team I remember fondly! - Jagr Straka Barasso Slegr Kovalev ...
Knocked off the devils as huge underdogs in the first round.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby GJ on Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:22 pm

Ha. I thought that I was the only one that remembered Dunc Wilson! I had even painted my old Jacques Plante goalie mask like his with the black and blue rebel flag.
GJ
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Weegie on Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:47 pm

GJ wrote:Ha. I thought that I was the only one that remembered Dunc Wilson! I had even painted my old Jacques Plante goalie mask like his with the black and blue rebel flag.

Cool! He and Herron were a pretty good duo in net there for awhile.....

I remember the organist Vince Lascheid would play a bit of a Confederate song when he would make a big save, was it "Battle hymn of the Republic?", but that was cool to hear!
Weegie
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Mango Salsa on Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:44 pm

GJ wrote:Ha. I thought that I was the only one that remembered Dunc Wilson! I had even painted my old Jacques Plante goalie mask like his with the black and blue rebel flag.

This is the stuff of nightmares. :scared:

Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby jwnorsk on Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:50 am

#29 Fluery and #35 Barasso
jwnorsk
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Arlow on Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:33 am

Rick Tocchet
Arlow
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pressure=9Pa on Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:04 pm

Here's my starting six - a little out of position.

Talbot - has 3 of the 15 biggest goals in franchise history, and just always seemed to be having fun.
Dupuis - as my username might imply
Straka - another great season from the unlikely playoff run.

Gonchar - was one of my favorite non-Pens, then became a Penguin.
Ulf - toughness on display

Moose - One of the most fun non-cup winning playoff runs ever
pressure=9Pa
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby IntangibleBeer on Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:52 pm

Yikes, what a tough choice! :face:

Ok, ok, here's the list (4-way tie for 1st):

1a) Marc-Andre Fleury
1b) Mario Lemieux
1c) Sidney Crosby
1d) Bob Errey
2) Geno Malkin
3) Max Talbot
4) Ron Francis
5) Troy Loney
6) Pascal Dupuis
7) Chris Kunitz
8) Rick Tocchet
9) Paul Coffey
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby longtimefan on Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:43 pm

Once Mario came along, I sort of quit having a favorite player per se. At least not the way I did as a child. Perhaps that's why, because I was a child. Or perhaps it's easier to find players that bring you some light in dark times. Like when Kehoe won the Lady Byng and Carlyle the Norris in the same season. Before that though, I generally had a favorite. Dates are approximate, and a very long time ago. :)

1968-1971 Keith McCreary- he was their leading goal scorer in 1968, and I picked him. :)
1971-1974 Syl Apps- he became my favorite as soon as we traded Sather for him
1974-1977 Pierre Larouche- he came in as a high profile #1 pick and scored 31 goals as the third line center as a rookie, and 55 goals annd 111 points in his second season. It was more just falling in love with the 1974-75 team though. He just stood out.
1977-1983 Greg Malone- He was the 19th pick as the first in the second round, and was superior to Blair Chapman, taken #2 overall that same season. I was looking for a new guy, and held on to him as I stopped really being fanatical about one player.
1983-84 As the team was ripped apart in preparation for Lemieux's arrival,, and it was a revolving door. I also had to follow the team from Washington DC, which was virtually impossible at that time. Of the transients, Ron Flockhart was my favorite.

Then Mario arrived. He almost became my favorite by default. He brought hope and excitement. The team was horrible his rookie season, but he scored 100 points and was the All Star game MVP. He had the 46 game point streak, halted by injury. His 199 points not quite lifting the teams into the playoffs. He was a story of his own.

Since then, I'm more just a Pens fan. If I were to look at the current team, and eliminate the two icons, my unquestioned favorite would be Guentzel.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve on Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:35 pm

I remember, and how about this player? Also the answer to a popular hockey trivia question, which is an obvious one based on this pic.

Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Steve on Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:40 pm

pronovost19 wrote:Other than 66:

Jean Pronovost, George Ferguson, Paul Baxter, Alex Kovalev

People look at me funny sometimes when i try to start a "lets go pronovost" chant. 8-)

Also, about 4 weeks after the Pens defeated the Sharks in the finals, someone in an elevator ride (in Orlando) looked at my Pens hat and then asked if I just started wearing it a month ago. So I just rattled off about ten players (including Pronovost) that I followed when I first followed the Pens.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby longtimefan on Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:43 pm

Steve wrote:

I remember, and how about this player? Also the answer to a popular hockey trivia question, which is an obvious one based on this pic.

Andy Brown. The last maskless goalie.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby GJ on Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:17 pm

Speaking of goalies, the Pens had Cam Newton before he played football! :wink:
GJ
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Great58 on Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:42 pm

Crashguy66 wrote:Moose Hedberg from the "Dark Days". I was at his first home start with that light blue mask of his. When interviewed after the game he said he thought it strange that the home fans were booing him when he made a save. He had to be told they weren't booing but saying Mooose. I still have my foam moose antlers they gave away at that since closed restaurant. Name escapes me at the moment. It was nice in an otherwise dismal time for Pens fans.

They gave the antlers away at the game(s) during the 2001 playoff run, no? I certainly remember everyone having them. Wish I still had mine.

I have to say Geno. I named my dog after him.
Phil and Sid close behind.
Talbot until he signed with the Flyers, Jagr until his hook eliminated the Pens.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pronovost19 on Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:42 pm

Steve wrote:

People look at me funny sometimes when i try to start a "lets go pronovost" chant. 8-)

Also, about 4 weeks after the Pens defeated the Sharks in the finals, someone in an elevator ride (in Orlando) looked at my Pens hat and then asked if I just started wearing it a month ago. So I just rattled off about ten players (including Pronovost) that I followed when I first followed the Pens.

Jimmy "the spinner" Spencer and Peter Lee were a couple others that people forget about. Also, Taglianetti and Kjell were good players to follow. If you rattled off any of those then you get epic status.
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pronovost19 on Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:45 pm

Does anyone remember the night that Denis Herron got beaned in the head with a puck after a road game? It was a puck giveaway night. I wanna say it was Toronto but I am not sure.
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby BurghThing on Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:11 pm

SUCK IT HOLTBY
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Guentzel/PenguinsFan on Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:24 pm

Guentzel and Lemieux because I like Lemieux playing style and Guentzel is young and I like to s style as well
Guentzel/PenguinsFan

Postby johnnews on Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:14 pm

Mario, no doubt.

Tyler Wright story - I'm behind the Cape Breton Oilers bench in Hershey. Wright comes off after a blatant spear that wasn't called. I'm absolutely killing him and he's giving it right back. He looks at my girlfriend (pretty hot girl) and says, "nice, a transvestite". I say "but I'll be banging her while you're ****ing off on the bus tonight". The entire bench is cracking up. A few minutes later he turns and gives me a huge grin and a wink. After the game he tossed us a puck and apologized. Couple years later when he joined the Pens, we're outside the Igloo (same girl) after a game and see him. I said "we had some laughs in Hershey". The girl, on cue says "Do I still looks like a transvestite?". He cracked up saying "I remember you guys, you're gorgeous. What are you doing with this a-hole?"
johnnews
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Weegie on Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:41 pm

johnnews wrote:Mario, no doubt.

Tyler Wright story - I'm behind the Cape Breton Oilers bench in Hershey. Wright comes off after a blatant spear that wasn't called. I'm absolutely killing him and he's giving it right back. He looks at my girlfriend (pretty hot girl) and says, "nice, a transvestite". I say "but I'll be banging her while you're ****ing off on the bus tonight". The entire bench is cracking up. A few minutes later he turns and gives me a huge grin and a wink. After the game he tossed us a puck and apologized. Couple years later when he joined the Pens, we're outside the Igloo (same girl) after a game and see him. I said "we had some laughs in Hershey". The girl, on cue says "Do I still looks like a transvestite?". He cracked up saying "I remember you guys, you're gorgeous. What are you doing with this a-hole?"

Great story! But what about the girl, are you still with her and if so please post pictures lol!! :D :lol:
Weegie
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby johnnews on Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:33 pm

Weegie wrote:
johnnews wrote:Mario, no doubt.

Great story! But what about the girl, are you still with her and if so please post pictures lol!! :D :lol:

No, she's long gone. Dodged a bit of a bullet there. Married a much cooler girl (and even hotter) :D
johnnews
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Antonio on Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:32 pm

pronovost19 wrote:
Steve wrote:

Jimmy "the spinner" Spencer and Peter Lee were a couple others that people forget about. Also, Taglianetti and Kjell were good players to follow. If you rattled off any of those then you get epic status.

It's funny...last year I flew to Pittsburgh to watch a game (that epic caps game) and my wife wore my old pro player coat with the Prince of Wales conference logo on the side... definitely got a few looks and comments.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sjnhiils on Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:12 pm

longtimefan wrote:Once Mario came along, I sort of quit having a favorite player per se. At least not the way I did as a child. Perhaps that's why, because I was a child. Or perhaps it's easier to find players that bring you some light in dark times. Like when Kehoe won the Lady Byng and Carlyle the Norris in the same season. Before that though, I generally had a favorite. Dates are approximate, and a very long time ago. :)

1968-1971 Keith McCreary- he was their leading goal scorer in 1968, and I picked him. :)
1971-1974 Syl Apps- he became my favorite as soon as we traded Sather for him
1974-1977 Pierre Larouche- he came in as a high profile #1 pick and scored 31 goals as the third line center as a rookie, and 55 goals annd 111 points in his second season. It was more just falling in love with the 1974-75 team though. He just stood out.
1977-1983 Greg Malone- He was the 19th pick as the first in the second round, and was superior to Blair Chapman, taken #2 overall that same season. I was looking for a new guy, and held on to him as I stopped really being fanatical about one player.
1983-84 As the team was ripped apart in preparation for Lemieux's arrival,, and it was a revolving door. I also had to follow the team from Washington DC, which was virtually impossible at that time. Of the transients, Ron Flockhart was my favorite.

Then Mario arrived. He almost became my favorite by default. He brought hope and excitement. The team was horrible his rookie season, but he scored 100 points and was the All Star game MVP. He had the 46 game point streak, halted by injury. His 199 points not quite lifting the teams into the playoffs. He was a story of his own.

Since then, I'm more just a Pens fan. If I were to look at the current team, and eliminate the two icons, my unquestioned favorite would be Guentzel.

Flocky Hockey could sure make you take notice every time he was on the ice. In the 80's I liked Mike Bullard . I still have his jersey although the 22 is hanging off the back.
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins