Game 48 vs Kings - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 48 vs Kings - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:44 am

Pens win 3-1

- Congrats to Casey DeSmith on a great game! His first official start and victory. Pens are looking okay in net for the time being!
- Horny's early marker and his skilled 2nd goal show how valuable to the team he can be. He's a playoff guy and when he gets in playoff mode, look out!
- How about Haggy! A career high FIVE game point streak..... whodathunkit? He does seem to be flying around out there and contributing to the 2nd line.
- Reaves was noticeable in this game, credited with 5 hits. Kings were unhappy, chippy and a heavy team. No one got killed, so I'm going to say :fist: (Yes, Schultz was bloodied).
- Dumoulin just doesn't get enough credit. I know, we all sigh when the Pens cylce for 30 secs deep & then Dumo fires that "frisbee wrister" on net. But on the D side ... BeAsT!
- Oleksiak went about his 20+ minutes w/grace... well, as much grace as you can have at 6'7 & 255 pounds. His wheels are above avg & I think I'm starting to see some Sarge in his game
- Potash has bee in fine form the last few games. You can tell he loves this SoCal trip.... me on the other hand, I hate staying up late & dozing through parts of games, hate it!
- ~~~dream sequence~~~~ Doughty gets fed up with losing in LA, demands a trade, Pens get him as a rental ~~~dream sequence~~~~ huh, did I just doze again? wtf....
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Game 48 vs Kings - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Mango Salsa on Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:54 am

Anyone know why Sprong was scratched and Dea in? They said Sprong didn't play the 3rd period vs the Ducks. Was he injured or in Sully's doghouse?
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:07 am

Mango Salsa wrote:Anyone know why Sprong was scratched and Dea in? They said Sprong didn't play the 3rd period vs the Ducks. Was he injured or in Sully's doghouse?

Like Cole, this is another case of Sully making some curious roster decisions, and this may have some longer term impacts on Sprong's playing time here this year.

Sully said after the game that they wanted to get another center in the lineup. While he didn't come out and say it, I think the Penguins have seen enough of the Jake Guentzel experiment at center. It isn't working. He's looked good at times, but it is very evident that Sully doesn't trust him at center and isn't happy with the even strength production, hence why Crosby continually takes extra shifts with Guentzel's wingers. Sully said they wanted to get Guentzel back in wing, where they feel he belongs, and adding a winger meant someone needed to come out.

To me, this is not good for Sprong's NHL future this year. If Sully is saying that already, what happens when Rust and Rowney come back? I've seen tweets from Mackey, Yohe, and Jesse all wondering why in the world Sprong was scratched, and some even puzzled by his benching in the 3rd. In the Ducks game, you are down, you want to put some guys out there that can score. Sprong averages 3 shots a game. Doesn't make a lot of sense not to put him out there.

Nobody has seen any egregious errors or gaffes that someone can say, oh yeah, couple of really bad mistakes there, maybe he should sit a game or two.

Penguins need to acquire a 3C badly, as has been the narrative for some time. And it really sounds like if someone like Rust, Sheary, or Guentzel isn't sent out to get that 3C, Sprong likely doesn't have a spot in the lineup on a regular basis.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby MWW on Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:16 am

FLPensFan wrote:
Mango Salsa wrote:Anyone know why Sprong was scratched and Dea in? They said Sprong didn't play the 3rd period vs the Ducks. Was he injured or in Sully's doghouse?

Like Cole, this is another case of Sully making some curious roster decisions, and this may have some longer term impacts on Sprong's playing time here this year.

Sully said after the game that they wanted to get another center in the lineup. While he didn't come out and say it, I think the Penguins have seen enough of the Jake Guentzel experiment at center. It isn't working. He's looked good at times, but it is very evident that Sully doesn't trust him at center and isn't happy with the even strength production, hence why Crosby continually takes extra shifts with Guentzel's wingers. Sully said they wanted to get Guentzel back in wing, where they feel he belongs, and adding a winger meant someone needed to come out.

To me, this is not good for Sprong's NHL future this year. If Sully is saying that already, what happens when Rust and Rowney come back? I've seen tweets from Mackey, Yohe, and Jesse all wondering why in the world Sprong was scratched, and some even puzzled by his benching in the 3rd. In the Ducks game, you are down, you want to put some guys out there that can score. Sprong averages 3 shots a game. Doesn't make a lot of sense not to put him out there.

Nobody has seen any egregious errors or gaffes that someone can say, oh yeah, couple of really bad mistakes there, maybe he should sit a game or two.

Penguins need to acquire a 3C badly, as has been the narrative for some time. And it really sounds like if someone like Rust, Sheary, or Guentzel isn't sent out to get that 3C, Sprong likely doesn't have a spot in the lineup on a regular basis.

In the radio show after the game it was said that they wanted to get a center inserted to free up Jake Guentzel.
Last edited by MWW on Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
MWW
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:22 am

With Sprong.. The WBS coaches/management apparently weren't chatting him up as a good call up option, Rutherford didn't seem eager to call him up, Now Sullivan is scratching him... Maybe there are problems, potentially substantial problems, tat we simply can't "see".
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:34 am

Jim wrote:With Sprong.. The WBS coaches/management apparently weren't chatting him up as a good call up option, Rutherford didn't seem eager to call him up, Now Sullivan is scratching him... Maybe there are problems, potentially substantial problems, tat we simply can't "see".

He's been said to have some attitude issues, not outright cocky or arrogant, but more immaturity from what I have heard. It has been said for some time that Sprong is a weird dude. Nothing wrong with that. Not everybody beats to the same drum.

But I've also seen feedback from people that watch a lot of WBS games, and multiple people said this is the best Sprong has ever looked. It really seemed like his benching in WBS sent the right message. I haven't followed him as closely these last few games, but the 3-4 games I watched closely when he first came up, I saw none of these big defensive deficiencies the Penguins have been clamoring about. He hustles and gets back on defense better than Phil, without a doubt.

If there are problems that are going on that we can't see, then take the opportunity now to trade him for another young asset, a center. Let someone else deal with it, rather than taking the 50/50 chance that he snaps out of the unseen issues, rather than have him continue to be a potential issue and have your best young prospect worth less than Kip Miller and a bag of pucks.

That is......if there are these unseen issues. And I'm not sure there is.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby penny lane on Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:39 am

Congrats to Case~ as I heard Coach Sullivan refer to him as.
Happy Schultz is not injured long term. A pox upon Dustin Brown!
All of a sudden look at Malkin's line go- go go.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Southern Fan on Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:57 am

Holding my breath on the major that our quarterback would pinch and we would have to rely on geno to defend the 3 on 1 short handed breakaway. But, thank you Horny

DeSmith solid.

Offense has flipped a switch this month

Thank goodness Schultz is ok.

Fourth line not as good without Sheehan. Need that trade
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby IntangibleBeer on Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:07 pm

- Awesome victory! Strong, strong game in which the Pens at times dominated and were pent up in their own end. :fist:
- Superb performance by DeSmith. :thumb:
- Hornqvist is a true warrior. We need to keep him.
- I hope the NHL Wheel of Justice hands out a nice 5 game suspension to Dustin Brown; odds are though it will be 1-2 games at most. NHL management = :slug:
- Boy, almost the entire Kings team is very physical, almost goonish. I thought there was a lot of cheap stuff going on. :thumbdown:
- Would be nice to see the Kings miss the playoffs. They did not give the Pens much space (tight checking).
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:12 pm

A whole 3:29 for Dea?
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Penspal on Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:44 pm

Jim wrote:A whole 3:29 for Dea?

JSD was injured in the first, missed most of the first... used sparingly afterwards.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Owchar76 on Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:54 pm

Back to back games where a Penguins blueliner takes a cheap shot. Letang from Perry, Schultz from Brown. It's on the league to put a stop to this. I can only laugh at those that actually believe Reaves has any effect on this. The last 2 games are prime examples that opposing players don't care about Reaves and do what they want.
Owchar76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Penspal on Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:06 pm

Owchar76 wrote:Back to back games where a Penguins blueliner takes a cheap shot. Letang from Perry, Schultz from Brown. It's on the league to put a stop to this. I can only laugh at those that actually believe Reaves has any effect on this. The last 2 games are prime examples that opposing players don't care about Reaves and do what they want.

I think you have to understand that the Brown was different than the Perry one. On the Perry shot, you could argue that it was premeditated, Perry had a very brief time to ensure he made contact. On the Brown one, while he did crosscheck him, it was bang bang and he had committed to making contact with Schultz, and did so in an illegal manner, but not an overly vicious one (could have been much harder).

It is on the league to stop this. They will suspend/fine Brown. As for Perry... that is the NHL's wheel of wonder when it comes to suspensions.

With respect to Reaves. Just remember who you are laughing at.

Laugh away at the entire coaching staff.
Laugh away at Sid.
Laugh away at GMJR who brought him in.

Over the course of the year since the signing, there have been many media interviews where many have alluded to the fact they feel safer out on the ice. Reaves has not gone all "Flyer Goon" everytime a Penguin has been hit because that's not what he's supposed to do, even though we might like to see it the odd time. Now, maybe if he did one or two "you hit my guy, I beat you up" stunts, that would help... but I don't think the Pens want that from him.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby brwi on Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:21 pm

MWW wrote:In the radio show after the game it was said that they wanted to get a center inserted to free up Jake Guentzel.

and he did have a noticeably better game back on W than at C. Problem is the 4th line didn't after being changed around, Dea missing a chunk of time didn't help either. Yeah, need a 3C something fierce.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby wondermoose on Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:23 pm

-Kings ragdolled the Pens early but they bounced back in a big, big way. Loved the pushback in the second period.
-Letang must, must, must stop vacating his spot on the blueline unexpectadly. The lone goal was entirely on him - Dumo has the go-ahead to pinch there; Letang does not. There's no way Dumo can know that Letang isn't in position when he makes that pinch. It's so, so frustrating.
-Hope scratching Sprong is Sully's way of telling him to shoot more, but Dea was about as invisible as it gets.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:27 pm

Owchar76 wrote:Back to back games where a Penguins blueliner takes a cheap shot. Letang from Perry, Schultz from Brown. It's on the league to put a stop to this. I can only laugh at those that actually believe Reaves has any effect on this. The last 2 games are prime examples that opposing players don't care about Reaves and do what they want.

No
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:27 pm

Brown has a hearing today for the cross-check on Schultz, announced by NHL DOPS about an hour ago.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Jim on Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:29 pm

Penspal wrote:

I think you have to understand that the Brown was different than the Perry one. On the Perry shot, you could argue that it was premeditated, Perry had a very brief time to ensure he made contact. On the Brown one, while he did crosscheck him, it was bang bang and he had committed to making contact with Schultz, and did so in an illegal manner, but not an overly vicious one (could have been much harder).

It is on the league to stop this. They will suspend/fine Brown. As for Perry... that is the NHL's wheel of wonder when it comes to suspensions.

Laugh away at Sid.

Over the course of the year since the signing, there have been many media interviews where many have alluded to the fact they feel safer out on the ice. Reaves has not gone all "Flyer Goon" everytime a Penguin has been hit because that's not what he's supposed to do, even though we might like to see it the odd time. Now, maybe if he did one or two "you hit my guy, I beat you up" stunts, that would help... but I don't think the Pens want that from him.

The Folin slewfoot was far more premeditated and on purpose than either of the hits that were mentioned. However, media is talking about the slewfoot so, you know, stay with the flock. Just say no to original thought.

Some are just not hockey savey enough to understand what Reaves does or doesn't do, we all understand that. I have pointed out in the past how the cheaper players play the Pens differently than they do the game before/after the Pens game. Gudas, Wilson, etc. Also pointed out how Reaves is not going to turn hockey into ice dancing, it is still a physical game, but that seems to be a very simple concept that some just can not grasp.

Simple concept. Can't grasp.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Humperdink on Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:37 pm

Penspal wrote:

Laugh away at Sid.

:thumb: Could not have said it better.

Sure there have been cheap shots since Reaves has joined the Pens, but we don't know how many cheap shots artists had opportunities and chose discretion over valor.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby OKpensfan247 on Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:44 pm

Thanks Penspal. I hear ya on the late west coast games. Brutal even here in CST. I can only imagine for you east coast guys.

- piggy backing on the last few posts on Reaves... I get people want to see 4 fast forward lines that can all produce offense. I also get that Reaves is not a deterrent. I think it is overblown with people continuing and continuing to bring it up, make fun of it, and repeat it... Because to my knowledge, the vast majority of hockey fans never claim Reaves is a deterrent.

I think what makes the Pens unique is that we have Sid, and we have Geno. Two generational players on same team. We have also won back to back Cups and 3 in 8 years, and our All Star defenseman Letang is a hot head and starts crap all the time. The point is, opponents hate us, are envious, want to beat us on an unprecedented level in the NHL.

So guess what... Perry probably takes that cheap shot on Letang with or without Reaves on our team. I clearly remember tons of cheap chots and ridiculous immature comments by opponent coaches against our players the last 10 years before Reaves ever got here.

I would love to have all 4 lines rolling offense and speed. But due to the tactics teams have and will continue to deploy against us, I think our heavier fourth line has come in handy in some of the more physical games.

So I agree to disagree. What my eyes have seen the last two nights and in some of our most physical playoff like games this year (Nashville, Washington, CBJ, Anaheim, LAK) is the 4th line and our most physical guys like Hornqvist leading the charge, and winning back possession and territory. Turning the tide back in our favor in other words.

I dont think people should be complaining about Letang getting a cheap shot when Reaves is on the ice... They should be complaining when the 4th line has a cycle going and Reaves loses the puck in the ozone. Or if our 4th line was causing turnovers and getting fast breaks against us all the time like our defenseman and Malkin have been doing lately.

I 100% agree if we are playing a fast non physical team, sit Reaves for a faster more offense oriented player. But Reaves brings value for the physical cluster F games we have to deal with all the time. He is not going to deter crap. That will happen anyone cause the league despises us for how successful we have been.

Recently, the 4th line and Reaves have not been our problem since Sheahan went there... It has been the stupid and careless turnovers that we have been gift wrapping to the opposition.
OKpensfan247
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve on Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:54 pm

It was refreshing to hear an objective call of the game by the Kings announcers...(compared to some east coast team's announcers of course)

I'm not too worried about the Sprong scratch. I know it could be tied to other documented stuff, which would be concerning - but in this case, i think they are just letting him see some things from the press box.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:40 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Brown has a hearing today for the cross-check on Schultz, announced by NHL DOPS about an hour ago.

$10,000 fine, maximum allowed by CBA. No suspension. :face: :face: :face: :face: :face: :face: :face: :face:
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:41 pm

PS, Malkin got a $5000 fine for his spear to the jewels on Dustin Brown.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby BurghThing on Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:28 pm

FLPensFan wrote:PS, Malkin got a $5000 fine for his spear to the jewels on Dustin Brown.

Money well spent
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:48 pm

NHL player safety cares nothing about the players and their safety.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins