Stewie Griffin Postgame: Pens Ravage Rangers 5-2

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Stewie Griffin Postgame: Pens Ravage Rangers 5-2

Postby netwolf on Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:23 pm

Credit to [redacted] for the sweet Pens-centric pic.
Stewie Griffin wrote:Now then, I’m going to do something I call the “compliment sandwich”, where I say something good, then talk about where you need improvement, and then end with something good.

Pens vs Rangers, a 5-2 win

Two of these in one day... Aren't you lucky!? =)

Something good: The 4th line still isn't playing a ton, but since Sheahan slotted down, they've looked decent. All 3 were 55% or better on the even strength possession front. Kuhnhackl, in particular, has noticeably more jump lately and was an 80% possession guy tonight.

Where they need improvement: Not much, so anything here is going to be kind of a nitpick. I'm sure they'd like a do-over on the last 5 minutes of the first period though.

Something good: Pretty eventful night for Oleksiak. 2 assists, +2, 4 shots, 17 PIMs, and was a 90% (yes, 90) possession player at even strength. Normally a fight over a clean hit would preclude someone from being listed here, but the rest of the start line was too good. Looking like a great pick-up so far.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Stewie Griffin Postgame: Pens Ravage Rangers 5-2

Postby Great58 on Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:03 am

netwolf wrote:Image
Credit to [redacted] for the sweet Pens-centric pic.
Stewie Griffin wrote:Now then, I’m going to do something I call the “compliment sandwich”, where I say something good, then talk about where you need improvement, and then end with something good.

Pens vs Rangers, a 5-2 win

Two of these in one day... Aren't you lucky!? =)

Something good: The 4th line still isn't playing a ton, but since Sheahan slotted down, they've looked decent. All 3 were 55% or better on the even strength possession front. Kuhnhackl, in particular, has noticeably more jump lately and was an 80% possession guy tonight.

Where they need improvement: Not much, so anything here is going to be kind of a nitpick. I'm sure they'd like a do-over on the last 5 minutes of the first period though.

Something good: Pretty eventful night for Oleksiak. 2 assists, +2, 4 shots, 17 PIMs, and was a 90% (yes, 90) possession player at even strength. Normally a fight over a clean hit would preclude someone from being listed here, but the rest of the start line was too good. Looking like a great pick-up so far.

I liked that Oleksiak fought to stick up for Reaves. If the Pens felt they needed more toughness, it’s best that someone else can assist Reaves in that role.
Great58
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:21 am

Something good: Aside from the 2nd goal, I thought Jarry was really sharp. He made some saves on shots through traffic look really easy and wasn't giving up much in the way of rebounds. He also doesn't necessarily come out to play the puck a lot, but he pulls off some pretty slick moves when he does. So strange to see that after years of Fleury in net...

Something bad: I thought they were still a bit sloppy with the puck, especially in the 1st, but at other points throughout the game. I think they need to get a little more into that playoff mindset where you realize that sometimes a Murphy dump out of your zone is OK when you don't have a safe passing option. Or, as with the 1st Rangers goal, realize that if you have the puck high in the offensive zone under pressure, it's OK just to dump it into the corner and fight for it there. They're in a real dog fight for a playoff spot right now and don't need to be giving away goals on silly errors.

Something good: I'm happy for Simon and for the team that he scored. I was just thinking before his goal that his level of skill and effort should be resulting in more production from him. That goal he almost scored in the 1st on that turning shot in the slot would have been ridiculous. Hopefully, this gets him going a bit.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby NashvilleCat on Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:58 am

Great58 wrote:I liked that Oleksiak fought to stick up for Reaves. If the Pens felt they needed more toughness, it’s best that someone else can assist Reaves in that role.

I said that to my son when we were watching the game. It's tough for one guy to shoulder that load and to have someone stick up for the guy you brought in to stick up for people is a big deal in my opinion.
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jim on Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:43 am

Two things that I noticed about the fight...

As Great58 stated, it was nice to see someone stand up for Reaves even though he obviously does not need anyone to do that for him. It was very much a "You got our back Ryan, well, we got yours too." kind of thing.

Reaves just got up and skated away. He didn't grab onto Smith while he was tangled with Oleksiak the way some/many other "rough/tough" guys would have. You know that if that was Tom Wilson that had gotten hit, and some other Cap grabbed Smith... Wilson would have gotten up and grabbed onto Smith as well, 2-on-1ing it. Gudas would have done the same, etc. Reaves was just like, you got this.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby netwolf on Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:25 pm

I'm all for sticking up for a teammate when it's warranted. If you fight over a clean hit, you don't want hitting in hockey IMO. Reaves didn't have to fight for trucking a Ranger; they just trucked him back when the opportunity presented itself.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:05 pm

I just like that Oleksiak's quote was, gotta stick up for the little guys.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Great58 on Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:22 am

netwolf wrote:I'm all for sticking up for a teammate when it's warranted. If you fight over a clean hit, you don't want hitting in hockey IMO. Reaves didn't have to fight for trucking a Ranger; they just trucked him back when the opportunity presented itself.

That’s the NHL for you these days. Reaves has to answer for these types of hits at times, at least as often as there is someone willing to engage him.
Great58
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:54 am

Reaves was bent down and reaching when he was hit, so possibly out of the corner of Oleksiak's eye...

I agree that fighting over clean hits, even if big hits, is a big thumbs down. However, I like the message that someone else standing up for a hit on Reaves sends... This year we are not the Penguins of the past. Take liberties, any liberties, and you will have to pay for it.

It is still hockey and there are still slashes and cross checks and various tisk tisk tisk stuff... but no where near as many, or even as over the top bad, as there have been in the past. It is obviously not a quantifiable thing, not something that could be literally proven, or disproven. It just seems like there is a general "We're not going to take it anymore" attitude from the players. They are certainly not going on the physically-offensive side, not going Flyer style, but is a team wants to start with the extracurricular stuff... this year the Pens aren't having it.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins