Official GDT: Pens vs Rags 1/14/18

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official GDT: Pens vs Rags 1/14/18

Postby Sigwolf on Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:28 pm

Only 1 point behind NJ to move out of the wild card slot into metro #3, but NJ has 4 games in hand. More important, only 2 points behind CBJ for metro #2, and Columbus has 0 games in hand... this is still very doable.
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:32 pm

pronovost19 wrote:The Dallas Stars have drafted defensemen in the first round that have been busts for them and helped the Penguins, but for as good of a pickup that the big rig is, Hunwick is real bad. Hunwick or Cole will be dealt or maybe even both.

I don't see any way Cole stays. I think the relationship between him and Sully is beyond repair. There are still many fans, and even a lot of reporters covering the team, that can't understand why Hunwick is getting a spot in the lineup over Cole. I think we are passed the point where Penguins could trade Hunwick, and slide Cole back in like nothing happened. Cole and his agent aren't happy he is sitting, and while yes, he has taken some penalties, his play otherwise has been very solid. If a few bad penalties were enough to get you benched, Geno wouldn't even be allowed in the county, maybe even the state.

I also FF some parts of the game, but I thought Hunwick might have had his best game as a Penguin tonight. Could have missed something, but he looked good on multiple plays.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:34 pm

Penguins desperately need a 3C. Pretty easy to see Guentzel isn't cutting it when we have to double shift Crosby and Malkin with Guentzel's wingers every 3 shifts. They did generate a goal tonight, but, this isn't the first time that the 3rd line wingers have taken multiple shifts with other centers in the game. Not exactly the best strategy double-shifting guys every game.

I know there likely isn't a move to be made right now, but it is needed badly.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Faubert5 on Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:35 pm

PenGator88 wrote:Dear Pittsburgh Penguins,

Thanks for saving the weekend!

Sincerely,
PenGator88

I second that. Not only did the Pens need this win - I needed it too.
Faubert5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: Formerly known as NashvilleCat - don't want any association with the Predators.

Postby Faubert5 on Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:38 pm

47 shots. Wow.
Faubert5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: Formerly known as NashvilleCat - don't want any association with the Predators.

Postby Puck-Lurker on Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:40 pm

Crashguy66 wrote:
Antonio wrote:I really think they need to win another 3 or so before the playoffs become a real possibility. I still just don't see it, but man I want to. Still so many games in hand for everyone else. They've really looked like a completely different team than played the first 40 games. What gives?

Gotta stay healthy. That's the key.

Could use some chips to fall the right way for us, in games of our competition.

I usually eliminate the difference in games played when trying to figure where we're at. Adding +2 points for each game a team has in hand. With that to go by:

WSH and NJ have a massive lead, having lost the least points in the Metro, 61 and 60 points gained if they win all games to get to 46 played.

Everybody below that has between 54 (PHI) and 50 (CAR) points. It's really that close. With a win over NYR, we bump down Rags from M3 to WC2. Assisted by CAR losing to CGY, that puts us at 51, 2 points out of 3-way tie for two wild card spots.

We're not there, but the trend is the right one.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:41 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
pronovost19 wrote:The Dallas Stars have drafted defensemen in the first round that have been busts for them and helped the Penguins, but for as good of a pickup that the big rig is, Hunwick is real bad. Hunwick or Cole will be dealt or maybe even both.

I don't see any way Cole stays. I think the relationship between him and Sully is beyond repair. There are still many fans, and even a lot of reporters covering the team, that can't understand why Hunwick is getting a spot in the lineup over Cole. I think we are passed the point where Penguins could trade Hunwick, and slide Cole back in like nothing happened. Cole and his agent aren't happy he is sitting, and while yes, he has taken some penalties, his play otherwise has been very solid. If a few bad penalties were enough to get you benched, Geno wouldn't even be allowed in the county, maybe even the state.

I also FF some parts of the game, but I thought Hunwick might have had his best game as a Penguin tonight. Could have missed something, but he looked good on multiple plays.

Agree with you on Cole. I struggle to see why Cole is getting such treatment when you look at his play. Letang has been far worse at times and nothing is done. Cole actually looks fine and he's in the doghouse. He's as good as gone.

As far as Hunwick tonight: 14 shot attempts for and 5 against. Quite good.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby thehockeyguru on Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:53 pm

I don't know what to say about Cole other than it looks like he is getting a raw deal. You can't showcase a guy who's in the press box. But then again teams know what they are getting in him, a #5 who can penalty kill and block shots.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:32 am

Don't understand why Cole & Sullivan can't seem to get along. For my money, Cole plays his ass off. Yes, he might get a penalty or two here and there that are pretty much "stupid", but so does Malkin. But the way I see it, and I am just guessing here, I'm thinking that both are alpha males and just can't seem to "make nice". Cole may have to adjust since Sully is his "boss", but Sullivan may have to do some adjusting of his own also.

That being said, the Pens seem to be finding their stride. Only thing we really need now is to somehow find a reliable 3C so that Guentzel can move back to forward, where he seems to be more effective.

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:41 am

KG wrote:Oleksiak two assists. He’s been a solid pick up. Good job JR.

Another quality d-man picked up from a team (Dallas) that doesn't seem to be able to play that aspect of the game very well. Gotta give "Sarge" some credit here too.

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Humperdink on Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:02 am

KG wrote:Oleksiak two assists. He’s been a solid pick up. Good job JR.

He needs to be a bit more careful with his right hand.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins