2018 Trade Rumors (Deadline Day talk starts page 103)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 2018 Trade Rumors Section

Postby Faubert5 on Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:11 pm

NJ5934 wrote:Maybe I'm a little tainted from Letestu's first stint with the Pens but I don't see him as much, if any, upgrade over Sheahan. If that's all we can grab for Cole so be it but I'm not so sure a move like that makes us a better team.

I saw him play a few times here in Nashville and watched the Oilers a couple times this year. I think he'd fit in well.
Last edited by Faubert5 on Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Faubert5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: Formerly known as NashvilleCat - don't want any association with the Predators.

Postby KG on Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:18 pm

Cole for Letestau is fair. Both pending UFA’s. Sure Anisimov or Bozak are better sexier players but nobody is available without having to give up significant assets.
A trade like this is a smart low risk move.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:28 pm

KG wrote:Cole for Letestau is fair. Both pending UFA’s. Sure Anisimov or Bozak are better sexier players but nobody is available without having to give up significant assets.

I'd still rather go for someone else. Letestu was fine before Sheahan was acquired. Letestu is not going to generate much offense, and I don't think having our bottom 2 lines more defensive based is the answer.

Go for a Strome, Pageau, Shore/Janmark, etc if Bozak, Brassard, Anisimov, etc aren't possible. But the 3C needs to have a decent offensive skillset if the plan is to play Kessel there and generate offense.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Puck-Lurker on Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:28 pm

longtimefan wrote:https://news.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/breaking-trade-between-the-penguins-and-oilers-may-happen-very-soon?ref=jo&ref=Brutus

Here you go An actual rumor from Bob McKenzie. Letestu for Cole, although Pens are exploring several options. They've backed away from Kane because of his price, and are concentrating on center depth.JR is expected to make a move sooner rather then later.

Hard to figure who we'd trade with for a C.

Ottawa?

Their playoff chances aren't in great shape. True, they've got a bunch of games in hand, but they're in .500 hockey mode and not trending up. Pageau and Dzingel out there as targets...

If they throw in the towel, they could trade one of those two, take on Cole's salary plus a pick that isn't a 1st or mid range prospect. They lose Cole's salary the year after and can look on the UFA market for something that actually clicks. Sheary for Pageau straight up works for me too, but that'd mean I get chased by the Sheary mafia. :scared:
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby saints11 on Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:39 pm

Cole for Letestu strikes me as another Despres for Lovejoy trade. Which is a trade made in the last minute at the TDL, not a trade made in January. Letestu is playing on the top unit in Edmonton and gets a lot of McDavid feeds which inflates his offensive numbers. No way in Hades would he be appearing on the top unit in Pittsburgh. Despite it being Bobby Mac, who is usually spot on with Pens rumors, this does fly opposite to what JR was seeking which supposedly forwards with term. Unless someone wants to classify the 32 year old, quasi-journeyman as a veteran presence. Easy pass here.
saints11
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve Dave on Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:44 pm

I could see JR going after Maroon as well for LW depth. I wonder if they are eyeing Pedan as a potential #8D if Cole is sent out, he seems to be playing well at WBS. Maybe Cole/Simon for Letestu/Maroon? Btw, I’m just spitballing, I like Simon and would rather not trade him.

Guentzel Crosby Sprong
Maroon Malkin Hornqvist
Hagelin Letestu Kessel
Sheary Sheahan Reaves
Kuhnhackl Rowney Rust*IR

Dumoulin Letang
Maatta Oleksiak
Hunwick Schultz
Pedan Ruhwedel
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby saints11 on Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:54 pm

Maroon’s speed is questioned playing in Sully’s system.
saints11
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve Dave on Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:01 pm

saints11 wrote:Maroon’s speed is questioned playing in Sully’s system.

Ok, I agree. Just wondering out loud tho. Could see interest especially if Reaves is pushed from the lineup come playoffs. I would prefer Zack Smith.
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Badamski9 on Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:32 pm

NashvilleCat wrote:
NJ5934 wrote:Maybe I'm a little tainted from Letestu's first stint with the Pens but I don't see him as much, if any, upgrade over Sheahan. If that's all we can grab for Cole so be it but I'm not so sure a move like that makes us a better team.

I saw him play a few times here in Nashville and watched the Oilers a couple times this year. I think he'd fit in well.

Letestu is garbage, can’t skate...please just say NO!
Badamski9

Postby Owchar76 on Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:39 pm

saints11 wrote:Cole for Letestu strikes me as another Despres for Lovejoy trade. Which is a trade made in the last minute at the TDL, not a trade made in January. Letestu is playing on the top unit in Edmonton and gets a lot of McDavid feeds which inflates his offensive numbers. No way in Hades would he be appearing on the top unit in Pittsburgh. Despite it being Bobby Mac, who is usually spot on with Pens rumors, this does fly opposite to what JR was seeking which supposedly forwards with term. Unless someone wants to classify the 32 year old, quasi-journeyman as a veteran presence. Easy pass here.

By playing on the top unit, I assume you mean top PP unit? As I said before, he won't be getting that kind of PP time here, but has proven in the past to be able to score 5 v 5. Last year he had 15 even strength assists and 3 goals. A few years ago he had 14 and 12 even strength assists. He isn't a black hole on 5 on 5 offense, but isn't a powerhouse either. I'm not exactly sure he's the 3C answer, I like FLPensfan's ideas better.

I haven't read anything about GMJR looking for term, and if he thinks Cole is going to score that kind of player, he might want to re-evaluate because there are no guarantees there. Bobby Mac also said he sees this trade coming down sooner than later, and not a deal at the deadline.
Owchar76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve Dave on Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:48 pm

Owchar76 wrote:
saints11 wrote:Cole for Letestu strikes me as another Despres for Lovejoy trade. Which is a trade made in the last minute at the TDL, not a trade made in January. Letestu is playing on the top unit in Edmonton and gets a lot of McDavid feeds which inflates his offensive numbers. No way in Hades would he be appearing on the top unit in Pittsburgh. Despite it being Bobby Mac, who is usually spot on with Pens rumors, this does fly opposite to what JR was seeking which supposedly forwards with term. Unless someone wants to classify the 32 year old, quasi-journeyman as a veteran presence. Easy pass here.

By playing on the top unit, I assume you mean top PP unit? As I said before, he won't be getting that kind of PP time here, but has proven in the past to be able to score 5 v 5. Last year he had 15 even strength assists and 3 goals. A few years ago he had 14 and 12 even strength assists. He isn't a black hole on 5 on 5 offense, but isn't a powerhouse either. I'm not exactly sure he's the 3C answer, I like FLPensfan's ideas better.

I haven't read anything about GMJR looking for term, and if he thinks Cole is going to score that kind of player, he might want to re-evaluate because there are no guarantees there. Bobby Mac also said he sees this trade coming down sooner than later, and not a deal at the deadline.

Letestu has had 2 shorthanded goals each of the past 3 seasons and 10 total in the past 6 seasons so he does bring a threat on the PK. I would imagine him and Rust would be a threat to score if paired together.
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby cojac on Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:15 am

Letestu for Cole is ok by me. I’d claim Jussi Jokinen off waivers too. Good: PKer, on faceoffs, versatile
Guentzel-Crosby-Sprong
Hagelin-Malkin-Hornqvist
Sheary-Letestu-Kessel
Jokinen-Sheahan-Rust
Rowney-Reaves
(I’d trade kuhnhackl for a 5th or 6th rd pick)
cojac
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:20 am

Steve Dave wrote:
Owchar76 wrote:

Letestu has had 2 shorthanded goals each of the past 3 seasons and 10 total in the past 6 seasons so he does bring a threat on the PK. I would imagine him and Rust would be a threat to score if paired together.

Letestu just strikes me as redundant to Sheahan. He's more of a defensive player, and that isn't exactly what this team needs. The team will be at its best if they can find someone that can make some plays and mesh with Kessel. I just don't see Letestu as that guy. If we didn't have Sheahan, I would be fully for acquiring Letestu for minimal cost and slotting him in as a 4C. But as a 3C, I don't see that working very well. Rutherford getting Letestu would reek of desperation to make a deal to just do something, IMO.

I don't think Toronto is going to move Bozak, nor do I think Ottawa moves Brassard. Chicago probably hangs onto Anisimov. I don't see the Isles dealing Brock Nelson to the Penguins. Those are the upper level guys that have been discussed ad nauseam. I don't think the Penguins have the cap space or assets to pull those off.

At the same time, Letestu, Cullen, maybe a few others I have heard, are setting the bar too low.

I'd like to think either Rutherford is going to pull off a trade for a quality 3C that will surprise everyone and everyone will be happy, or he is going to land somewhere in the middle of the Bozaks and Letestus. What I see as in the middle are guys that are a bit younger, and have yet to really prove themselves with their team. There is risk, but a guy panning out could be very high reward.......Strome, Pageau, Reinhart, Shore, Janmark,Bjugstad.....guys in that 24-26 range that had a higher ceiling to what they have produced to date, but aren't playing awful hockey. Guys that were maybe seen as top 6 possible centers, that their current teams need to be resigned to the fact that maybe 3C and occassional spot 2C duty is what they really are.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby saints11 on Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:25 am

Not a good year for JJ’s. Assume both are done. We have younger, faster forwards who can give you what Jokinen can. We are not the Hawks, and you can see how good it worked out for them in their reunion year.
saints11
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Maestro on Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:14 am

Rather have Strome.
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby longtimefan on Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:08 am

When I think about it, I don't see why the Oilers would make the deal. The Pens would be gambling on Letestu, but the Oilers are ten points out of a playoff spot, on a 3-6-1 roll, and sitting comfortably in 13th place. I definitely see them moving Letestu, but not for another UFA. He'll bring them a future usable asset. It doesn't seem to fit where their mindset would be.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby SubtropicalPenguin on Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:45 am

Letestu is 100% redundant on this team. I don't see him as anything better than Sheahan, and honestly - I'm not sure he's even as good as Sheahan for the Pens' system.

It's a shame Vegas has played so well, they won't be sellers. I would have liked to take a shot at Haula for the right price. Not really sure the right deal is out there this year....
SubtropicalPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:45 am

Aside from a 3C thenknlt whing missing is consistency. I’m not going to even worry anoint goaltending because Murray and Jarry are both good enough to win if the team in front of them doesn playbsrilid.

Even on defense the unit as a whole is fine as long as Schultz is playing. We just need a better, more offensive option at Center to play with Kessel and ideally also kill penalties.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BurghThing on Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:44 am

DelPen wrote:Aside from a 3C thenknlt whing missing is consistency. I’m not going to even worry anoint goaltending because Murray and Jarry are both good enough to win if the team in front of them doesn playbsrilid.

Even on defense the unit as a whole is fine as long as Schultz is playing. We just need a better, more offensive option at Center to play with Kessel and ideally also kill penalties.

I need a shot of what Del's drinking :wink:
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby KG on Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:54 am

I'm not against the idea of bringing in Letestau. I agree with FLP that this should be more of a deadline move though. Unless we are getting a significant 3C then make the move now if not then there's no rush to settle. JR has shown a lot of patience this season.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby largegarlic on Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:14 am

I'd be OK bringing Letestu back. Even if Letestu isn't an upgrade on Sheahan, acquiring him would let Guentzel move back to wing. I think Guentzel has been OK at center, but he's better on the wing. So, Letestu would probably make the team slightly better. And if you could acquire him for Cole, who from some reason is clearly seen as superfluous, then why not?

That said, you'd have to think Edmonton will be more of a seller going into the deadline and wouldn't want another UFA for Letestu. But maybe they're still convinced they can make up ground and get in the playoffs...
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:43 am

FLPensFan wrote:
KG wrote:Cole for Letestau is fair. Both pending UFA’s. Sure Anisimov or Bozak are better sexier players but nobody is available without having to give up significant assets.

I'd still rather go for someone else. Letestu was fine before Sheahan was acquired. Letestu is not going to generate much offense, and I don't think having our bottom 2 lines more defensive based is the answer.

Go for a Strome, Pageau, Shore/Janmark, etc if Bozak, Brassard, Anisimov, etc aren't possible. But the 3C needs to have a decent offensive skillset if the plan is to play Kessel there and generate offense.

I agree with everything you said here. I wasn't a fan of the Sheahan add, but he's proven to be a good fit, and especially lately as a fourth liner. But bringing in Letestu seems like more of the same. They need a third line center, not another fourth line center who will play on the third line.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:45 am

I don't want Letestu.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby longtimefan on Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:13 pm

I agree the Pens ideally want a center with some offensive ability on the third line. Unfortunately, there are no perfect fits, especially at the deadline. We discussed Jason Spezza a bit in the 3C thread. He doesn't kill penalties, he's not a great skater, but he's likely to top 1000 points fir his career. His contract is prohibitive this season and next at $7.5M. Even though he scored two powerplay goals last night, he was a healthy scratch the game before. He's being played at RW. Where he's not nearly as effective. The season before last, he popped 33 goals. I think he'd be worth a phone call. Dallas isn't getting much use out of him, and maybe something could be cobbled together. I'm not sure how cheap he'd be, especially since Dallas would have to eat a big chunk of salary, but, as far as proven commodities, he's the most intriguing to me. For a team trying to write history by winning a third straight cup, I think it's the surest avenue. Any of the 24-26 year olds could be booms. Or busts. The same is true of Spezza, but I think a quality offensive center on decline who never won the cup might be a better fit for the circumstances. I think it's at least worth pursuing and having a conversation about.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Maestro on Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:15 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:I don't want Letestu.

Either do the Pens apparently.
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins