Alyonka Larionov

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Alyonka Larionov

Postby sjnhiils on Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:45 pm

Not sure if anyone has seen or read it but there is a good article on TheAtletic that details Alyonka's batlle with Anorexia over the last several years. You never know what people are going through even though they seem totally fine in front of the camera. I dont have the link but just go to TheAthletic.com and click on Detroit in the local coverage. Hope her next 10 years are better!!
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Alyonka Larionov

Postby Jim on Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:08 pm

Where people are in their minds is impossible to predict.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Humperdink on Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:29 pm

"Alyonka’s symptoms surfaced in middle school but the disease really took root when she landed her first job in hockey, working for the Pittsburgh Penguins in 2008 as a host of PensTV."

https://theathletic.com/195738/2018/01/ ... e-no-more/
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:15 pm

Humperdink wrote:"Alyonka’s symptoms surfaced in middle school but the disease really took root when she landed her first job in hockey, working for the Pittsburgh Penguins in 2008 as a host of PensTV."

I read the article the other day. I'm no pyschiatrist, but from reading the article it seems like a lot of her issues came from her parents and her father. Because both her parents were raised in the Russian athlete system, they kind of forced strict eating onto Alyonka, even though she was not an athlete. They didn't know any better. That is how they were brought up as young athletes. Igor also seems to be a man of little emotion, and seems like Alyonka may have been vying for some type of positive reaction from her dad. It was mentioned in the article that getting into hockey broadcasting was mainly done by her as a way to trying and connect with her father more.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Humperdink on Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:37 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Humperdink wrote:"Alyonka’s symptoms surfaced in middle school but the disease really took root when she landed her first job in hockey, working for the Pittsburgh Penguins in 2008 as a host of PensTV."

I read the article the other day. I'm no pyschiatrist, but from reading the article it seems like a lot of her issues came from her parents and her father. Because both her parents were raised in the Russian athlete system, they kind of forced strict eating onto Alyonka, even though she was not an athlete. They didn't know any better. That is how they were brought up as young athletes. Igor also seems to be a man of little emotion, and seems like Alyonka may have been vying for some type of positive reaction from her dad. It was mentioned in the article that getting into hockey broadcasting was mainly done by her as a way to trying and connect with her father more.

Please do not misunderstand, I did not lift that quote from the article to lay her illness at feet of the Penguin organ-I-zation. It was merely to establish her connection to the Penguins. I was curious as to why the article appeared in this section of forum.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:48 pm

Humperdink wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

Please do not misunderstand, I did not lift that quote from the article to lay her illness at feet of the Penguin organ-I-zation. It was merely to establish her connection to the Penguins. I was curious as to why the article appeared in this section of forum.

Oh no, didn't think that at all. I read the article the other day, and it clearly talked about her getting into hockey broadcasting below, and how she sought attention and praise from her father that rarely came. From the article:

Alyonka courted her father’s praise constantly and was crushed when it didn’t come. She would time her lengthy treadmill sessions in the basement to coincide with her father's arrival home, hoping he’d praise her aerobic rigor. When he looked at the miles she logged on the display, he’d simply shrug.

Alyonka sought her father’s attention so ferociously that it led her to a career in hockey broadcasting, hoping he'd notice her attempts at forging common ground.
“It never felt like he was proud of me,” Alyonka says. “I was constantly trying to fill this void — to feel loved and heard.”
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Humperdink on Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:50 pm

Igor must feel like a real heel these days.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:20 pm

NPR... YEAH!!! Haven't said that one in a looooong time...
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sjnhiils on Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:12 pm

Jim wrote:NPR... YEAH!!! Haven't said that one in a looooong time...

I guess working as a host for Pens TV and doing the ingame promotions doesn't count?
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:44 pm

Not only NPR, but even NHR.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sjnhiils on Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:23 pm

Jim wrote:Not only NPR, but even NHR.

Your posts should appear under NHK (no hockey knowledge)!!!
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:00 am

sjnhiils wrote:
Jim wrote:Not only NPR, but even NHR.

Your posts should appear under NHK (no hockey knowledge)!!!

:thumb:
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins