Game 44 vs Bruins - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 44 vs Bruins - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:01 am

Pens win 6-5 in OT

- What a wild game! To be down early, then a 3-1 lead, then get down 5-3, only to come back and win in OT?
- Sid's resurgence should be no surprise, but puck luck has played into some of it... when it goes your way, your super, when it doesn't.... you just need to hang in there
- Kudos to HCMS & crew for switching out Jarry. It did exactly what was necessary, re-focus the team
- Shame on HCMS for dressing Hunwick over Cole? I can't help but think that one of those two is getting moved, I'm hoping its Hunwick
- Loving the Big Rig Oleksiak, that long shot rattled Tukka Rask, he was shaky from there on out!
- Murray's save on the penalty shot.... what a great way to shake off the monkey. Really, this victory was HUGE for everyone.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Game 44 vs Bruins - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby ville5 on Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:20 am

What a sweet mofo GW goal. :drool:
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Humperdink on Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:32 am

The Boston Herald's view of OT:

"Into overtime the teams went, and as good as the B’s can be in the 3-on-3, the Penguins are awesome — with Crosby, Malkin, Phil Kessel, defenseman Kris Letang and more. Kessel and Malkin worked a sweet down-low give-and-go, and Malkin had an easy score from left of the cage."

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/brui ... o_penguins
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:53 am

Must win - 2 in a row, win before their vacation.
Love the goals!
If the 2016 Letang has arrived, the climb to the top will be easier.
Hunwick - thumbs down on his D.
I was worried when Sid got hit early, he was on the ice for a minute or 2. Got his points and the win, best revenge.
Evgeni- huge game! Clutch in big games.
Maybe the pens got lucky with the penalty shot v 2 minutes- the pens need one of their goalies to finish games for wins.
Having Schultz and Letang both playing is night and day to the offense.
I've never seen a more active Tuukka ! He was coming out of the net constantly.
For the pens, efforts like last night will now be the norm. They have a few teams they need to step over and around.
If last evening's game was the first time you watched hockey; you would be hooked for more.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Humperdink on Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:58 am

I watched the post game interview by Brickley with Malkin. Highly entertaining. Malkin is pretty astute (and hilarious).
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Penspal on Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:34 pm

Humperdink wrote:I watched the post game interview by Brickley with Malkin. Highly entertaining. Malkin is pretty astute (and hilarious).

I'd like to see that, must search for it online.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:51 pm

Marchand wasn't running around doing cheap shots like usual... I wonder why...
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Antonio on Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:53 pm

Hunwick really seems like a waste of 2m.
I love Oleksiak so far. Same number of goals as Letang?
The fact that Crosby has 7 points in 2 games and is STILL under a point per game really speaks to how bad he has been performing this year.
I am not sold on Simon on the top line.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:44 pm

No clearer evidence that sometimes you get it right, Oleksiak, and sometimes you really strike out, Hunwick. Hunwick looks minor league to me.

My only other comment. This team was energized! The speed of the game in the 3rd and OT...that has just not been there this season but the boys were flying! We look invincible when everyone is gunning. Will that be the new norm down the closing stretch? Were the Pens truly just sleep walking through the first half conserving energy?

Things that make you go hmmm...
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby OKpensfan247 on Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:09 pm

Have to copy and agree with some of the things already said.

- agreed penspal on Murray's stop on Marchand to allow OT. Huge. Did not want that weasel beating us with 61 seconds left after it felt like we had dominated the game. Also agree on Oleksiak. Having him on the bottom pairing with his size, reach, and booming shot adds a dynamic we have not had in recent years. Could be a big strength if we can make playoffs.
- agree Penny on Tanger and Schultzy. I don't think it is a surprise our team started looking light years better once they were both back. Thrilled Letang has finally looked somewhat normal.
- agree Jim on the calmer "style" of game. Did not see stupd Marchand or Chara junk like in previous years. The fact Reaves can now also benefit the team with Sheahan as his center by cycling and gaining some o-zone possession time is key, in addition to his physical presence benefit like you mentioned.
- call me crazy... But this game felt like we dominated even though the score was tight and went to OT. Jarry unfortunately had a shaky second period, which allowed this game to be close on the scoresheet. But Idon't think you can really fault Jarry for goals 2 (Marchand perfect wrister off faceoff win from Bergeron and Jarry was screened) or 3 (Bruins shot hits off their own man accidentally and deflects perfect past Jarry). By goals 4 and 5 Jarry was just rattled and gave in easy soft goals. I have not seen a possession chart yet, but it visually appeared like we drove play the vast majority of the night and this could have been a 7-5 or 8-5 pens win.
OKpensfan247
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby OKpensfan247 on Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:12 pm

Oh and the fact that Boston had won 17 of their last 22 games... This was a solid win. Boston was on a back-to-back, but Boston is a really good team this year.
OKpensfan247
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby OKpensfan247 on Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:20 pm

Antonio wrote:Hunwick really seems like a waste of 2m.
The fact that Crosby has 7 points in 2 games and is STILL under a point per game really speaks to how bad he has been performing this year.

Agree on Simon. I believe he failed to pick up Pastrnak on goal 4 for the B's last night when Letang stayed in the crease locking up the Bruins player there. Simon has done some good things and I appreciate he is accepting the "banger", physical role on that line... But I have to think he is replaced by Guentzel if we were to get a #3 center.

Sprong has also impressed me so far. His back checking, speed, pursuit, have been positive IMO so far away from the puck. Hope it continues.
OKpensfan247
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:29 pm

I only watched the 3rd period, but that looked like the Pens of the 2016 playoffs. Forcing turnovers, lightning quick transition, keeping the opponent pinned in their own end, etc. It seemed like there were times when Boston just had to be content to flip the puck to center ice to catch their breath and didn't even try to counterattack.

I'm not crazy about Hunwick either, but I can see what Rutherford saw in him. He skates pretty well and can sometimes effectively jump up into the rush, but he also gets walked fairly regularly on D and isn't that strong to win battles down low.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby longtimefan on Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:48 pm

I thought it may have been their best game of the year. I listened to Sullivan on the way home, but just caught a blurb. It was about how effective the third line with Guentzel between Kessell and Sheary. They didn't score as a unit, but they were effective. Guentzel had four shots, Sheary two. Jake has gone through a really rough stretch, but appears to me to be getting very close. He looked more comfortable in the middle last night. Also won 63% of his draws. I fully expect JR to be on the hunt for a 3rd line center, but I expect they'll continue with the lines as constituted for the time being. They have the winger depth, and it does give you three lines with offensive players. The 4th line looks really good as a heavy, forechecking, intimidating group. I remember one shift they were forechecking with Oleksiak on the ice, and thinking how huge they were. Haven't had that in a long while.

Put it all together, the Pens are rolling four lines. Basically, from the time Rowney went down against Philly. The game against Carolina was inexplicable. But in the other three games, the Pens have 3, 3, and 4, 5 on 5 goals. In addition to having Letang and Schultz back, I think it's been the key the last few games. Now, if they could just get a goaltender they can trust on a nightly basis.........

I still expect JR to be looking for the perfect 3rd line center. I love Brassard personally. Until he does though, I think guentzel in that slot allows them to keep pressuring while rolling 4 lines.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Puck-Lurker on Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:13 pm

OKpensfan247 wrote:
Antonio wrote:Hunwick really seems like a waste of 2m.

Agree on Simon. I believe he failed to pick up Pastrnak on goal 4 for the B's last night when Letang stayed in the crease locking up the Bruins player there. Simon has done some good things and I appreciate he is accepting the "banger", physical role on that line... But I have to think he is replaced by Guentzel if we were to get a #3 center.

Sprong has also impressed me so far. His back checking, speed, pursuit, have been positive IMO so far away from the puck. Hope it continues.

Simon might fit on that line down the stretch, but he's essentially an upgraded Archibald right now. Which isn't bad. I like him just fine, but wouldn't be bad if he picked up a goal somewhere to make him walk a little taller.

Sprong hasn't looked awful in defence. Guy seems to have it in his head that he needs to go all the way back just as fast as he came up ice. Room for improvement, but it looks to me like he's committed.

From Twitter: Sprong gets tripped and draws a penalty. #Pens to the power play with 1:39 left in the 2nd, down 5-3.

Of course, Geno ends up scoring 5-4 in the closing seconds of the 2nd. I actually missed the penalty call, so I can't comment on this one specifically. But I have to believe that Sprong's skating and his shot are going to force goalies to cheat less on angles. The defencemen to pay attention to people not called Sidney on the Crosby line... And generally draw some penalties because they can't let that guy skate around and shoot.

Or at least, that's my hope
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins