Sheahan

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Sheahan

Postby battleship kelly on Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:54 pm

he loses more faceoffs cleanly than anyone I can remember.
Also doesn't do much, must get a third line center.
battleship kelly
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Sheahan

Postby BurghThing on Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:36 pm

But he does score goals
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Humperdink on Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:14 am

His play has picked up of late. I'd give him some more time before I'd render a final judgment.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:24 am

He has been playing well enough for me to stop taking shots at him... but not enough for praise.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KG on Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:37 am

He is a very solid 4th line center for a two time defending cup champion.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ville5 on Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:38 am

Bonino's offensive production was only a hair better than Sheahan's. (.08/game)
Sheahan doesn't have Kessel. Bonini's possession metrics were slightly higher his first season, but quite lower his second. Again, no Kessel for Sheahan. Sheahan's faceoff numbers destroy Bones'.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:53 am

KG wrote:He is a very solid 4th line center for a two time defending cup champion.

Plus he moves Rowney to the press box which I'm all in favor of.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby no name on Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:11 am

thehockeyguru wrote:
KG wrote:He is a very solid 4th line center for a two time defending cup champion.

Plus he moves Rowney to the press box which I'm all in favor of.

The Reeves-Sheehan-Kuhn line has been solid and creating chances the last couple games. Keep him as the 4th line guy and I agree we still need a 3C.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby largegarlic on Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:45 am

There was a more substantive defense of Sheahan in the megathread, I think, but I'm coming around on him. His faceoff % is 56% right now. He has 14 points in 35 games with the Pens, almost 0.5 points/game, which is pretty decent for a 3C. I do agree, though, just going by the eye test, I'd like someone a bit more dynamic as the 3C.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Owchar76 on Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:31 pm

battleship kelly wrote:he loses more faceoffs cleanly than anyone I can remember.

Best post ever.

Sheahan currently leads the team in faceoff % at 56.5%, 3.2% higher than Sid and Sheahan takes the bulk of his draws in the defensive zone. He LEADS the team.

Loses more faceoffs cleanly than anyone you can remember? I guess you must take washroom breaks everytime Geno takes a draw?

Also, doesn't do much, must get a third line center? You do realize that he's been playing 4C lately and the 4th line has actually become useful and somewhat productive since he joined? What will getting a 3rd line center do for Sheahan since he's on the 4th line?

Well thought out.
Owchar76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Owchar76 on Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:36 pm

largegarlic wrote:There was a more substantive defense of Sheahan in the megathread, I think, but I'm coming around on him. His faceoff % is 56% right now. He has 14 points in 35 games with the Pens, almost 0.5 points/game, which is pretty decent for a 3C. I do agree, though, just going by the eye test, I'd like someone a bit more dynamic as the 3C.

Murphydump55 posted this about Sheahan and it opened my eyes a bit more too

Sheahan is 6th on the team in possession at 52.41%, even though he starts only 34% of his shifts in the offensive zone.

Despite that he ranks 2nd on the team in shot suppression.
Sheahan is tied with Geno for shot attempts per 60. (6th on the team). Not bad for a guy starting the majority of his shifts in the defensive zone.

Thus far into the season he's outpacing Bonino of last year in almost every statistical category while facing tougher competition and zone starts.

Sheahan leads the team in even strength assists this season.

It has to be clear to management that he's slotted where he should be now. Acquiring a 3C and leaving him on the 4th line is the way it should be going forward.
Owchar76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:48 pm

Owchar76 wrote:
largegarlic wrote:There was a more substantive defense of Sheahan in the megathread, I think, but I'm coming around on him. His faceoff % is 56% right now. He has 14 points in 35 games with the Pens, almost 0.5 points/game, which is pretty decent for a 3C. I do agree, though, just going by the eye test, I'd like someone a bit more dynamic as the 3C.

Murphydump55 posted this about Sheahan and it opened my eyes a bit more too

Sheahan is 6th on the team in possession at 52.41%, even though he starts only 34% of his shifts in the offensive zone.

Despite that he ranks 2nd on the team in shot suppression.
Sheahan is tied with Geno for shot attempts per 60. (6th on the team). Not bad for a guy starting the majority of his shifts in the defensive zone.

Thus far into the season he's outpacing Bonino of last year in almost every statistical category while facing tougher competition and zone starts.

Sheahan leads the team in even strength assists this season.

It has to be clear to management that he's slotted where he should be now. Acquiring a 3C and leaving him on the 4th line is the way it should be going forward.

It's really tough to gauge. As a 4C, he play has clearly elevated the last week or two. Did things just start clicking for him altogether, or was it really playing with Kuhnhackl and Reaves that did it? Is it worth taking another look at him at 3C to see if he can still produce. Right now, 3C isn't producing. Kessel is getting his goals on the PP, not at even strength. Sheary is cold.

Mackey did his 20 thoughts thing about an hour ago, and, while it may all be lip service, it sure sounds like Rutherford is moving away from rushing to get a 3C. A few snippets from the article:

---As this group will rest for five days because of its NHL-mandated bye week, and many around the hockey world are basically assuming that one of the NHL’s itchiest trigger fingers will swing a deal, Rutherford appears to be moving in the opposite direction.
---“Some of the things that I see, I don’t believe changing player personnel is going to do it. As a group, we have to be more consistent and do what we do best.”
---Mackey mentions a few other factors on the 3C aspect. 1 is lack of assets. 2 is so many teams bunched together that many teams still aren't looking to sell yet.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Puck-Lurker on Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:40 pm

Owchar76 wrote:
battleship kelly wrote:he loses more faceoffs cleanly than anyone I can remember.

Best post ever.

Sheahan currently leads the team in faceoff % at 56.5%, 3.2% higher than Sid and Sheahan takes the bulk of his draws in the defensive zone. He LEADS the team.

Loses more faceoffs cleanly than anyone you can remember? I guess you must take washroom breaks everytime Geno takes a draw?

Also, doesn't do much, must get a third line center? You do realize that he's been playing 4C lately and the 4th line has actually become useful and somewhat productive since he joined? What will getting a 3rd line center do for Sheahan since he's on the 4th line?

Well thought out.

Think Kelly's post was a jest.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins