What happened?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: What happened?

Postby pcmforless on Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:47 am

Maybe a lot of us used to be regulars are sort of like the team right now... Burnt out from two VERY long cup runs :)
I was here on a daily basis from 2009 up thru last year's cup run. This year, I'm lucky to make it every couple days to sometimes just once a week. Granted I started a new business this year after a couple years of semi retirement as well and that may be a big part of it too. I definitely miss the glory days, both the good and the bad posts. I think chirpin grinder turned out to be a good luck charm as he was a heavy poster and antagonizer in late 2015 and if I remember was the starter of the trade Kessel post.
Also, I agree with many others that the megapost is hurting the cause. The original one was sort of a good luck charm as well as it started out as something like The pens are 3-3, now what, or something like that after they started the 2015/16 season off with three losses and then three wins. The thing grew like a snowball and became a personality of it's own. In a way I hated to see it killed off :(
pcmforless
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ejd43 on Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:06 am

Another thing that could improve site traffic is letting people with the “free” email services register. I know I tried many times using my g mail account to create a username and it wouldn’t let me. It said I needed a school or work email to register. Is there any specific reason for it? I’m sure a lot of people who read don’t have a school or work email, but would like to register and chime in but are constantly denied access. Just a thought.
ejd43
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Great58 on Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:52 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
no name wrote:Does anyone remember Penglose from the Trib message board, if there ever was a heal or blow hard you didn't want to listen to that was the guy.

Chirpin Grinder was another. But these types come and go there will always be a few of them out there. They are not original and don't seem to "get it".

I actually fear something bad happened to Chirpin' Grinder. I don't think he actually stopped posting here, I think something happened. Around the time he was getting a lot of flack here, I noticed he was posting a lot on DK's comments section. Different name, but it was very easy to see that it was him, as he would post almost identical things in both places. You could easily tell by the tone and the viewpoint.

His posts suddenly stopped here and on DK's site. Unfortunately, I don't know any of his registered email addresses to check to see if the dude was OK. All I know is from Chripin was in South Florida like I am.

It would be a heck of a coincidence, with his very last post occurring on the day the Penguins won their first playoff series with Kessel on the roster. I certainly hope it is shame and the Penguins continued success and not illness or worse that has kept him away.
Great58
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Great58 on Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:53 pm

I miss Pick-A-Pen as an activity that drew a lot of visits to this page.
Great58
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby no name on Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:55 pm

LOL fear, I wouldn't be surprised if those guys with their attitudes are in prison. Not even kidding. When posts just "STOP" from those users its really hard to assume anything other than major incident in their life from stopping them getting their "message out".
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby lemieuxReturns on Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:01 pm

I miss crankshaft
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Humperdink on Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:10 pm

Great58 wrote:I miss Pick-A-Pen as an activity that drew a lot of visits to this page.

Let me second that. I loved PAP.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pruezy11881 on Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:25 pm

Humperdink wrote:
Great58 wrote:I miss Pick-A-Pen as an activity that drew a lot of visits to this page.

Let me second that. I loved PAP.

:thumb:
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Puck-Lurker on Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:41 pm

I played PAP. Just never could work out how ot worked. Mainly laziness on my part.

Nothing stopping from bringing it back, assuming someone has time and will
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:01 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:I miss crankshaft

Speaking of people with multiple usernames...
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby lemieuxReturns on Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:45 pm

Jim wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:I miss crankshaft

Speaking of people with multiple usernames...

I don't know what that is supposed to mean.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby blurryhaze312 on Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:33 pm

I think the end of mega threads is already bringing back a sense of life to the place. When there's not one thread to dump everything it naturally helps bring more topics of conversation to the surface by necessity.

I'll echo a few others here in saying I just straight up quit posting here outside of the jersey thread because of the gloom that a few malcontents had hanging over the entire board. Nothing constructive was being discussed, because literally every topic was devolving into an outrageous competition of who was 100% absolutely right/wrong. It was beyond tiresome and there was no enjoyment to be had by participating in such a back-and-forth.

I think a lot of that could have been avoided. Outside of a few instances people weren't breaking the written rules during these interactions, but the board was certainly being affected by all of it. I definitely don't want this to be a place where people can't have fun or voice their opinion...but the point was reached where people repeatedly forcing their same opinions down everyone's throat - along with their attitude while doing it - was dragging down the whole community. Sometimes the "Foe" feature just isn't good enough, and the good of the site as a whole needs to be put first.

Thankfully that all seems to be over...

Here's a thought...is it a good idea to appoint a new mod or two? Some interaction from the team that runs the board would certainly be very welcome. Not all of them need to be incredibly frequent posters, but I feel like it would be a huge boost if the mod team had an active presence and helped drive activity like in the past.

People like pfim haven't logged in at all in over 2 years. Three Stars might be around, but he hasn't posted at all in 3 years. dagny & netwolf are around, but it's a big board with a lot of discussion going on - two people can't cover the whole thing. I certainly hope no one takes offense to this suggestion - it's not at all meant as a slight to you. I just think it would be a really big benefit to have even just a portion of the leadership team be very/extremely active in the activity of the community, and not just be enforcers of the rules. Life changes the amount of free time people have for things like this, especially for the time that I'm sure is required for monitoring/managing a site such as this. Maybe it's time to get a few interested people to join in that effort.
blurryhaze312
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Southern Fan on Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:49 pm

Funny. Looking at other board from Boston game thread was 7 pages and 172 replies. This board was 7 pages and 155 replies. Thread comments were very similar

I know that CG drove some people from this board. They still talk about CG over there.

What I like about this board is the penspal thoughts thread
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NJ Penguins Fan on Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:16 pm

I agree with Southern Fan in regarding Penspal thoughts from the morning/afternoon/evening after recaps. I value his insight to see if I saw the game in the same way he did. Also game day threads are most entertaining: some posters are very funny. Been reading for years never posted until this year. It has been enjoyable. I will say that I type much slower than I think as I do live in fear of the "grammar" police (lol)
NJ Penguins Fan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby BurghThing on Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:19 pm

NJ Penguins Fan wrote:I agree with Southern Fan in regarding Penspal thoughts from the morning/afternoon/evening after recaps. I value his insight to see if I saw the game in the same way he did. Also game day threads are most entertaining: some posters are very funny. Been reading for years never posted until this year. It has been enjoyable. I will say that I type much slower than I think as I do live in fear of the "grammar" police (lol)

Do what I do, chug a few beers then say the hell with it. I look back on some of my posts the next day and even I wonder what I meant.
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ville5 on Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:27 pm

NJ Penguins Fan wrote:I agree with Southern Fan in regarding Penspal thoughts from the morning/afternoon/evening after recaps. I value his insight to see if I saw the game in the same way he did. Also game day threads are most entertaining: some posters are very funny. Been reading for years never posted until this year. It has been enjoyable. I will say that I type much slower than I think as I do live in fear of the "grammar" police(lol)

Murph isn't that bad :lol: . He even has some good insight.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Puck-Lurker on Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:30 pm

I come here to talk Pens stuff. Demonstrate to the world my ignorance. Further the cause of confusion by spewing my erratic thoughts in the english language. Oh and mess up my predictions!

When it comes to the blabla going back and forth with the little edge snarky thing going on, I genuinely don't care and ignore it.

I've started a bunch of GDTs, but stopped again recently. The hockey gods were displeased! I had to do something.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:51 pm

ville5 wrote:
NJ Penguins Fan wrote:I agree with Southern Fan in regarding Penspal thoughts from the morning/afternoon/evening after recaps. I value his insight to see if I saw the game in the same way he did. Also game day threads are most entertaining: some posters are very funny. Been reading for years never posted until this year. It has been enjoyable. I will say that I type much slower than I think as I do live in fear of the "grammar" police(lol)

Sorry, I know I'm bad for it. Maybe it's just a frustration with the school system in how they'll hand someone a diploma when they clearly haven't learned the English language and spell and speak at a 3rd grade level. I find it hard to take someone seriously when they don't know the difference between "there, their and they're", or "your and you're". "Would of" drives me even more batty. I'm no English major by any means but at least try to grasp the basics. I've done quite well laying off as of late!
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby murphydump55 on Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:52 pm

murphydump55 wrote:
ville5 wrote:

Sorry, I know I'm bad for it. Maybe it's just a frustration with the school system in how they'll hand someone a diploma when they clearly haven't learned the English language and spell and speak at a 3rd grade level. I find it hard to take someone seriously when they don't know the difference between "there, their and they're", or "your and you're". "Would of" drives me even more batty. I'm no English major by any means but I at least try to grasp the basics. I've done quite well laying off as of late!
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby Great58 on Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:13 pm

What I hate is the duplicate posters. Posters who can't even hack the basic technology in use here. Drives me batty! :pop:

j/k :)
Great58
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:35 pm

Jim wrote:
Owchar76 wrote:I've browsed the "other board" and it's hilarious. If you don't bow down to the leader there, people think you have no idea and won't accept you lol. Everyone defers to him for their opinions and can't think for themselves. There's a member from here that posts there and is totally different there. He jumps all over everyone on here and is a complete know it all with snarky remarks and his chest puffed out. Over there? Totally different lol.

I like this board, there are some knowledgeable posters on here and nobody tries to rule the roost. Well some try, but they fail.

Maybe people don't make as many idiotic comments there and therefore less to jump all over...? Not sure who you are referring to ( :D ) but I bet it has to do with the quality of original posts.

It's like when a player is playing bad, people say he is playing bad. When he is not playing bad... nothing to point out. If you don't want shots taken, play better.

I got an example... at the other board no one says stupid things like Franson is in a top pairing role in Chicago... and then aggressively defends that obviously false statement. Therefore this person that you are referring to never has to point out what a ridiculous statement it is (jump all over)... over there. Which came first, the chicken or the egg? The idiotic comment came first, that what.

BTW, anyone talk to Franson's family yet? Chest all puffed out? No? Too bad.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Owchar76 on Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:59 pm

Jim wrote:
Jim wrote:
Owchar76 wrote:I've browsed the "other board" and it's hilarious. If you don't bow down to the leader there, people think you have no idea and won't accept you lol. Everyone defers to him for their opinions and can't think for themselves. There's a member from here that posts there and is totally different there. He jumps all over everyone on here and is a complete know it all with snarky remarks and his chest puffed out. Over there? Totally different lol.

I like this board, there are some knowledgeable posters on here and nobody tries to rule the roost. Well some try, but they fail.

Maybe people don't make as many idiotic comments there and therefore less to jump all over...? Not sure who you are referring to ( :D ) but I bet it has to do with the quality of original posts.

It's like when a player is playing bad, people say he is playing bad. When he is not playing bad... nothing to point out. If you don't want shots taken, play better.

I got an example... at the other board no one says stupid things like Franson is in a top pairing role in Chicago... and then aggressively defends that obviously false statement. Therefore this person that you are referring to never has to point out what a ridiculous statement it is (jump all over)... over there. Which came first, the chicken or the egg? The idiotic comment came first, that what.

BTW, anyone talk to Franson's family yet? Chest all puffed out? No? Too bad.

Chest puffed out? No, wtf? I know the family, not a big deal. I said I was curious as to what he was told.

As I said before, I didn't mean it the way it came across. I meant he was playing his most minutes with Keith, on the top pair.

You said that because Kuhnhackl and Reaves take a shift with Crosby it must mean they are top pairing wingers. No, one shift doesn't mean anything. However if the two of them played their most minutes with Crosby it must mean either they are on the top line with him or the Pens are playing with only 3 centers and double shifting. Do the Hawks only play with 5 D? Kind of a poor example for you to make, it proves nothing.

Again I've learned that you are quite arrogant and that's fine. It exists in this world, no big deal. Arrogance is a defense mechanism as well as a way to get attention. One day maybe I'll see you offer something to this board that doesn't result in hacking everyone else's ideas. You blasted everyone that wasn't against the Sheahan deal and kept bringing it up regarding the salary cap and everything else. The deal turned out fine considering what they gave up.
Owchar76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:00 am

:thumbdown:
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby netwolf on Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:27 am

ejd43 wrote:Another thing that could improve site traffic is letting people with the “free” email services register. I know I tried many times using my g mail account to create a username and it wouldn’t let me. It said I needed a school or work email to register. Is there any specific reason for it? I’m sure a lot of people who read don’t have a school or work email, but would like to register and chime in but are constantly denied access. Just a thought.

I'd defer to admin, but I believe the reason for that is to curb the ability to create multiple accounts. People already do that to some extent (and we watch for it), but if free e-mails were allowed to register, it would be way worse.

blurryhaze312 wrote:I'll echo a few others here in saying I just straight up quit posting here outside of the jersey thread because of the gloom that a few malcontents had hanging over the entire board. Nothing constructive was being discussed, because literally every topic was devolving into an outrageous competition of who was 100% absolutely right/wrong. It was beyond tiresome and there was no enjoyment to be had by participating in such a back-and-forth.

I think a lot of that could have been avoided. Outside of a few instances people weren't breaking the written rules during these interactions, but the board was certainly being affected by all of it. I definitely don't want this to be a place where people can't have fun or voice their opinion...but the point was reached where people repeatedly forcing their same opinions down everyone's throat - along with their attitude while doing it - was dragging down the whole community. Sometimes the "Foe" feature just isn't good enough, and the good of the site as a whole needs to be put first.

Bolded emphasis mine, but this so much. That's definitely another factor for me, and as a ([part-time?) mod, it's especially frustrating. I never liked hammering people, especially on technicalities. It gets old. It would be nice if the rules could be replaced with a general "don't be a jerk," but that line is highly subjective.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SubtropicalPenguin on Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:14 pm

PAP was always good to get people to at least check in every game day. Add on to that the mega-tread which was completely un-readable plus a fan-base placated by a couple Stanley Cups, and you have a recipe for attrition.

I'm very happy to see the mega-tread go away. Hopefully that will help a bit.
SubtropicalPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins