What happened?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: What happened?

Postby no name on Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:58 pm

Does anyone remember Penglose from the Trib message board, if there ever was a heal or blow hard you didn't want to listen to that was the guy.

Chirpin Grinder was another. But these types come and go there will always be a few of them out there. They are not original and don't seem to "get it".
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:05 pm

no name wrote:Does anyone remember Penglose from the Trib message board, if there ever was a heal or blow hard you didn't want to listen to that was the guy.

Chirpin Grinder was another. But these types come and go there will always be a few of them out there. They are not original and don't seem to "get it".

I actually fear something bad happened to Chirpin' Grinder. I don't think he actually stopped posting here, I think something happened. Around the time he was getting a lot of flack here, I noticed he was posting a lot on DK's comments section. Different name, but it was very easy to see that it was him, as he would post almost identical things in both places. You could easily tell by the tone and the viewpoint.

His posts suddenly stopped here and on DK's site. Unfortunately, I don't know any of his registered email addresses to check to see if the dude was OK. All I know is from Chripin was in South Florida like I am.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Jim on Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:37 pm

"fear" is not the word that I would use.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby murphydump55 on Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:40 pm

Was anyone here a subscriber to the Penguins Report paper for their Penguins news back in the day? Being a resident of Canada it was pretty special to open your mailbox and have a newspaper dedicated only to the Penguins. I still have all my copies.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby murphydump55 on Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:42 pm

Jim wrote:"fear" is not the word that I would use.

Are you saying you wish bad things upon him? Wow.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby theblackarts on Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:43 pm

I started following LGP quite a while ago, some time during the generation X days. I think you saw a huge influx of fans getting pumped around that era of players, and as the penguins achieved success and became more corporate, fans became satiated and didn't feel the need to post daily, etc. Just my two cents.
theblackarts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:47 pm

murphydump55 wrote:Was anyone here a subscriber to the Penguins Report paper for their Penguins news back in the day? Being a resident of Canada it was pretty special to open your mailbox and have a newspaper dedicated only to the Penguins. I still have all my copies.

Wasn't that done by Madden and a few others? I never got it or saw it, but I could swear I remember reading at one point that he was tied to that newsletter.

I started off with Igloo Report, and when that started to fade away, someone in college told me about this message board.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby murphydump55 on Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:49 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:Was anyone here a subscriber to the Penguins Report paper for their Penguins news back in the day? Being a resident of Canada it was pretty special to open your mailbox and have a newspaper dedicated only to the Penguins. I still have all my copies.

Wasn't that done by Madden and a few others? I never got it or saw it, but I could swear I remember reading at one point that he was tied to that newsletter.

I started off with Igloo Report, and when that started to fade away, someone in college told me about this message board.

Upon typing this my curiosity actually rose as to who wrote for it. I'd have to dig them out to find out. It was early 90's.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby BurghThing on Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:52 pm

murphydump55 wrote:I've also been here a long time, even under a different name way back before the look of the board changed. I remember loving it when we switched to this type of message board as opposed to that old thread style one that was used before. I know I've ruffled feathers in the past and honestly mean no harm, but I'll take this place over 5AF any day of the week. I actually started reading some comments on Facebook last night. Talk about face palm city. I'm glad I have this place.

Personally I loved the old thread style board. But that's just me. I'm a big one liner, single thought at a time guy and yes I love twitter for that. I had ADHD way back before it was a thing, no meds, just a quick paddle in the hall and back to class. Along those lines that megathread is just too intimidating to me, I vote we kill it.
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jim on Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:58 pm

BurghThing wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:I've also been here a long time, even under a different name way back before the look of the board changed. I remember loving it when we switched to this type of message board as opposed to that old thread style one that was used before. I know I've ruffled feathers in the past and honestly mean no harm, but I'll take this place over 5AF any day of the week. I actually started reading some comments on Facebook last night. Talk about face palm city. I'm glad I have this place.

Personally I loved the old thread style board. But that's just me. I'm a big one liner, single thought at a time guy and yes I love twitter for that. I had ADHD way back before it was a thing, no meds, just a quick paddle in the hall and back to class. Along those lines that megathread is just too intimidating to me, I vote we kill it.

The branching thread style helped when you went more specific with a topic or even started to fade into a different idea. The two branches didn't intertwine, even though they were about the same base topic. It also helped avoid the quote in a quote in a quote in a quote thing.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pekkasteele on Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:31 pm

FLPensFan wrote:

I was there for the Iglooreport to, I was more active writing stuff back then. Was saad when it was closed, until I found this!
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:30 pm

pekkasteele wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

I was there for the Iglooreport to, I was more active writing stuff back then. Was saad when it was closed, until I found this!

Igloo Report took my message board virginity back in the late 1990s. It was a great start, but quickly went downhill due to the owner/admin (forget his name) becoming a troll, himself. I then moved here and haven't really looked back, though I do occasionally view/post at 5AF. To me, LGP was at its best when there were POTW and discussions about more than just who should be traded and who should be acquired. Would love to see POTW return, an addition of member profiles and a member of the week, etc.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:56 pm

Defence21 wrote:
pekkasteele wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

Igloo Report took my message board virginity back in the late 1990s. It was a great start, but quickly went downhill due to the owner/admin (forget his name) becoming a troll, himself. I then moved here and haven't really looked back, though I do occasionally view/post at 5AF. To me, LGP was at its best when there were POTW and discussions about more than just who should be traded and who should be acquired. Would love to see POTW return, an addition of member profiles and a member of the week, etc.

Igloo Report owner/admin was Gary I believe, but can't remember the last name.

I may have to hit up the Admin and maybe see if I can become a mod here for as much as I am on, and help try and get some of those things back, as I believe most of the mods now are rarely on. Not sure if Three Stars or pfim are even active here anymore. Can't remember seeing a post from them in ages.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ejd43 on Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:34 pm

I always enjoyed Mikey’s post. I think I mentioned it in another post but what ever happened to him? Dude seemed legit in his hockey knowledge, and if I recall correctly he had a lot of scouting notes and info on lesser known players.
ejd43
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pruezy11881 on Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:51 pm

ejd43 wrote:I always enjoyed Mikey’s post. I think I mentioned it in another post but what ever happened to him? Dude seemed legit in his hockey knowledge, and if I recall correctly he had a lot of scouting notes and info on lesser known players.

He's over at 5th Avenue forum...I, like you, always looked forward to his responses or explanations. He was very knowledgeable.
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:52 pm

no name wrote:Does anyone remember Penglose from the Trib message board, if there ever was a heal or blow hard you didn't want to listen to that was the guy.

Weasel (was that his name) was another one. He was an epic heel.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:56 pm

BurghThing wrote:

Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Durbano on Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:46 pm

Yes, and I still have a few copies tucked away in a box somewhere. One of them has Kevin Stevens on the cover, leaning out of a train.
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:50 pm

IIRC, Mark Madden ran the Penguins Report paper. The inimitable Bob Grove wrote for it. I think Paul Steigerwald did too. Not sure who else...
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Defence21 on Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:07 pm

@netwolf, thanks for locking the long thread. Already seeing a few newer threads popping up, and my hope is it makes this place a bit more fun to visit and contribute to!
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rylan on Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:21 pm

For me, there were just a group of personalities that just killed the fun of discussing the Pens (and the other Pittsburgh teams) that made coming to a message board more aggravation than fun.

The other big change was I graduated college and began to have less and less time than I did getting my 2.0 GPA degree lol.

Now, when I do have free time I am not going to sit at my computer. Life man, life gets in the way of life.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Maestro on Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:17 am

BurghThing wrote:Personally I think a lot of the nitpicking “you’re wrong”, “no you’re wrong” ad nauseum gets on people’s nerves.

Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Maestro on Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:25 am

Puck-Lurker wrote:
Humperdink wrote:2400 users (members) on LGP. I counted 12 users on the forum during the first period of tonight's game. There were 41 guests on the forum at the same time. A distinct lack of participation.

I was here all game but didnt post until after the 2nd so as noy to upset the juju. I was sorely tempted but that Carolina game was not a fond memory.

Yeah, it's hard to have a grip on this team - 1 game they look like defending champs, the next game they look like cellar dwellers. They are all over the map.

We can speculate trades but we all know 99.9% will never happen.

Also, mid-season, most players not named Kessel under performing --- one can only whine so much before it becomes redundant.
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Maestro on Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:34 am

Yes and yes.

They are just like the sad people who post racist responses on You Tube. Just have to let the wind blow and keep walking.
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Maestro on Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:36 am

Jim wrote:"fear" is not the word that I would use.

Ha ha.

I think you are being sarcastic.
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins