What happened?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

What happened?

Postby ejd43 on Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:14 pm

Is it me or does it seem like the board isn’t what it was a few years ago? I’ve been a long time lurker and finally registered a couple years ago, but a couple years ago the GDT were way more populated than what they are now. Don’t get me wrong I enjoy reading and chiming in but like I said it seems like the board is a shell of its former self. Mods feel free to move the thread if you’d like. Just sitting here thinking about what LGP was like a few years ago to what it is now. That’s all.
ejd43
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 620
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:45 pm

Re: What happened?

Postby OKpensfan247 on Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:13 am

Yeah, the GDT's and participation is probably less... But after successful back-to-back Cup wins, it naturally happens IMHO.

I think it is natural human tendency to get more emotional and voice our opinions when things are going badly or the team is down.

The fact we have won it all in back to back years, there is a malaise over the fanbase until we get closer to playoff time since that is the primary importance (i.e. Can we win it a third time in a row or at least defend our crown competitively).

Since we have been struggling lately, and it looks like we may not make the playoffs, there seems to be more interest again.
OKpensfan247
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 685
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:51 am
Location: Tulsa, OK

Re: What happened?

Postby Southern Fan on Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:21 am

You had a segment splinter off to another message board two years ago. Their threads for pens games are about the same length as LGP but they primarily focus on politics.

I think only a couple people post on both
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,940
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:51 am

Re: What happened?

Postby rarst17 on Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:03 pm

I think at least part of it has to do with the fact that everything is posted in a single thread entitled "Off-Season Discussion Thread 2017-2018". I used to come to the site frequently throughout the day and see if anything new and interesting was posted. Now I don't bother because I know that if anything new and/or interesting is posted it will be hidden somewhere in an outdated 300 page thread.
rarst17
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:35 am
Location: Glenshaw, PA

Re: What happened?

Postby Southern Fan on Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:27 pm

Good point. Maybe off season is over. Might be bad karma to treat the present as “off season”
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,940
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:51 am

Re: What happened?

Postby BurghThing on Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:57 pm

Southern Fan wrote:Good point. Maybe off season is over. Might be bad karma to treat the present as “off season”


That’s what the Pens have been doing
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,538
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:22 pm
Location: All You Can Eat Crow Tavern

Re: What happened?

Postby Durbano on Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:00 pm

This is just a guess, but I wonder if texting has something to do with it. Not that I was ever super-active in game-day threads, but I know I'm on a couple of group texts with Pens fans (family and friends) and also keep in touch one-on-one with a couple other people during games.
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,644
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:33 pm

Re: What happened?

Postby BurghThing on Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:03 pm

Personally I think a lot of the nitpicking “you’re wrong”, “no you’re wrong” ad nauseum gets on people’s nerves.
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,538
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:22 pm
Location: All You Can Eat Crow Tavern

Re: What happened?

Postby Jim on Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:14 pm

Just start some new threads to get discussion going, and out of the mega thread.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,464
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: What happened?

Postby Humperdink on Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:55 pm

rarst17 wrote:I think at least part of it has to do with the fact that everything is posted in a single thread entitled "Off-Season Discussion Thread 2017-2018".


Funny you should say that. A few days ago, I posted an article as the whether the Pens were serious cup contenders. It was a microscopic view of the Pens woes from an outsider's perspective. Highly informative article. 170+ views and not one comment. Which is why I rarely post anymore. Why bother?
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,732
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:10 am
Location: Allegheny National Forest

Re: What happened?

Postby Daniel on Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:12 pm

BurghThing wrote:Personally I think a lot of the nitpicking “you’re wrong”, “no you’re wrong” ad nauseum gets on people’s nerves.


That's one of the reasons I don't post and why I'll sometimes review a post and delete it. Just not worth it to read through replies that aren't productive to the conversation. I don't care about being criticized, or someone telling me that I'm wrong. It's the "not gonna happen" type replies, without substance, that makes it not worth it. That seems to be systemic to the internet as a whole, not just this site.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,073
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:10 pm
Location: Fort Worth

Re: What happened?

Postby KG on Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:25 pm

I agree with what’s already been said. Many fans go on message boards to complain or to come on when the team is winning cups.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,525
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:53 am
Location: NY

Re: What happened?

Postby Skatingpen on Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:45 pm

Humperdink wrote:
rarst17 wrote:I think at least part of it has to do with the fact that everything is posted in a single thread entitled "Off-Season Discussion Thread 2017-2018".

Funny you should say that. A few days ago, I posted an article as the whether the Pens were serious cup contenders. It was a microscopic view of the Pens woes from an outsider's perspective. Highly informative article. 170+ views and not one comment. Which is why I rarely post anymore. Why bother?


Maybe it was not highly informative?
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 7,934
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:13 pm

Re: What happened?

Postby Daniel on Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:51 pm

Skatingpen wrote:
Humperdink wrote:
rarst17 wrote:I think at least part of it has to do with the fact that everything is posted in a single thread entitled "Off-Season Discussion Thread 2017-2018".

Funny you should say that. A few days ago, I posted an article as the whether the Pens were serious cup contenders. It was a microscopic view of the Pens woes from an outsider's perspective. Highly informative article. 170+ views and not one comment. Which is why I rarely post anymore. Why bother?


Maybe it was not highly informative?


It was, just nothing that wasn't already in the "off season/only thread anyone looks at" thread.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,073
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:10 pm
Location: Fort Worth

Re: What happened?

Postby Jim on Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:51 pm

Humperdink wrote:
rarst17 wrote:I think at least part of it has to do with the fact that everything is posted in a single thread entitled "Off-Season Discussion Thread 2017-2018".


Funny you should say that. A few days ago, I posted an article as the whether the Pens were serious cup contenders. It was a microscopic view of the Pens woes from an outsider's perspective. Highly informative article. 170+ views and not one comment. Which is why I rarely post anymore. Why bother?


You have to give people time to start thinking for themselves again. In a one topic thread people realize that they will he held to what they say...
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,464
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: What happened?

Postby Owchar76 on Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:54 pm

I've browsed the "other board" and it's hilarious. If you don't bow down to the leader there, people think you have no idea and won't accept you lol. Everyone defers to him for their opinions and can't think for themselves. There's a member from here that posts there and is totally different there. He jumps all over everyone on here and is a complete know it all with snarky remarks and his chest puffed out. Over there? Totally different lol.

I like this board, there are some knowledgeable posters on here and nobody tries to rule the roost. Well some try, but they fail.
Owchar76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 965
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:03 pm

Re: What happened?

Postby Jim on Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:03 pm

Owchar76 wrote:I've browsed the "other board" and it's hilarious. If you don't bow down to the leader there, people think you have no idea and won't accept you lol. Everyone defers to him for their opinions and can't think for themselves. There's a member from here that posts there and is totally different there. He jumps all over everyone on here and is a complete know it all with snarky remarks and his chest puffed out. Over there? Totally different lol.

I like this board, there are some knowledgeable posters on here and nobody tries to rule the roost. Well some try, but they fail.


Maybe people don't make as many idiotic comments there and therefore less to jump all over...? Not sure who you are referring to ( :D ) but I bet it has to do with the quality of original posts.

It's like when a player is playing bad, people say he is playing bad. When he is not playing bad... nothing to point out. If you don't want shots taken, play better.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,464
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: What happened?

Postby Humperdink on Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:14 pm

Skatingpen wrote:
Humperdink wrote:
rarst17 wrote:I think at least part of it has to do with the fact that everything is posted in a single thread entitled "Off-Season Discussion Thread 2017-2018".

Funny you should say that. A few days ago, I posted an article as the whether the Pens were serious cup contenders. It was a microscopic view of the Pens woes from an outsider's perspective. Highly informative article. 170+ views and not one comment. Which is why I rarely post anymore. Why bother?


Maybe it was not highly informative?


Maybe, maybe not. But 170 views and not one comment? Nor even a: "Gee, that was a waste of time, or I disagree with his conclusion".

In light of the earlier comments on this post, your response surprises me. Kinda of self fulfilling prophecy.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,732
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:10 am
Location: Allegheny National Forest

Re: What happened?

Postby ville5 on Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:36 pm

Humperdink wrote:
Skatingpen wrote:
Humperdink wrote:
rarst17 wrote:I think at least part of it has to do with the fact that everything is posted in a single thread entitled "Off-Season Discussion Thread 2017-2018".

Funny you should say that. A few days ago, I posted an article as the whether the Pens were serious cup contenders. It was a microscopic view of the Pens woes from an outsider's perspective. Highly informative article. 170+ views and not one comment. Which is why I rarely post anymore. Why bother?


Maybe it was not highly informative?


Maybe, maybe not. But 170 views and not one comment? Nor even a: "Gee, that was a waste of time, or I disagree with his conclusion".

In light of the earlier comments on this post, your response surprises me. Kinda of self fulfilling prophecy.

Nothing personal Hump. I've viewed that thread probably twice. But it's a link for ESPN. Which I never go to for hockey unless it's Buccigross.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,843
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:17 pm
Location: getting body slammed by kelly kelly

Re: What happened?

Postby Humperdink on Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:01 pm

ville5 wrote:
Humperdink wrote:
Skatingpen wrote:
Humperdink wrote:
rarst17 wrote:I think at least part of it has to do with the fact that everything is posted in a single thread entitled "Off-Season Discussion Thread 2017-2018".

Funny you should say that. A few days ago, I posted an article as the whether the Pens were serious cup contenders. It was a microscopic view of the Pens woes from an outsider's perspective. Highly informative article. 170+ views and not one comment. Which is why I rarely post anymore. Why bother?


Maybe it was not highly informative?


Maybe, maybe not. But 170 views and not one comment? Nor even a: "Gee, that was a waste of time, or I disagree with his conclusion".

In light of the earlier comments on this post, your response surprises me. Kinda of self fulfilling prophecy.

Nothing personal Hump. I've viewed that thread probably twice. But it's a link for ESPN. Which I never go to for hockey unless it's Buccigross.


Fair enough. :D
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,732
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:10 am
Location: Allegheny National Forest

Re: What happened?

Postby Owchar76 on Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:41 pm

ville5 wrote:
Humperdink wrote:
Skatingpen wrote:
Humperdink wrote:
rarst17 wrote:I think at least part of it has to do with the fact that everything is posted in a single thread entitled "Off-Season Discussion Thread 2017-2018".

Funny you should say that. A few days ago, I posted an article as the whether the Pens were serious cup contenders. It was a microscopic view of the Pens woes from an outsider's perspective. Highly informative article. 170+ views and not one comment. Which is why I rarely post anymore. Why bother?


Maybe it was not highly informative?


Maybe, maybe not. But 170 views and not one comment? Nor even a: "Gee, that was a waste of time, or I disagree with his conclusion".

In light of the earlier comments on this post, your response surprises me. Kinda of self fulfilling prophecy.

Nothing personal Hump. I've viewed that thread probably twice. But it's a link for ESPN. Which I never go to for hockey unless it's Buccigross.


I've stopped reading the mainstream media types in a big way. I'd much rather read stuff that is backed up with numbers, not stories like DK writes. Jesse's stuff is a fantastic read, and take him how you will, but Ryan Wilson also writes stuff that is backed up with numbers and never a total reach. I don't even visit TSN, ESPN, or anything like that anymore. However TSN does have one guy that does a lot of writing that involves numbers to back up what he's preaching. I find that stuff much more interesting than the crap that DK or any of the top mainstream writers put out there. (with the exception of Freidman, his stuff is always good.)
Owchar76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 965
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:03 pm

Re: What happened?

Postby Humperdink on Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:55 pm

@Owchar76 I understand what you are saying. You are one of the more knowledgeable posters. Some are not, including myself. I soak up every Pens article I can get my hands on, no matter the source. I then judge it's credibility. I suspect a few of the 170 views on my post would like to comment, but are a bit leery of subsequent snarky comments. That was my original point, which I obviously failed to make.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,732
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:10 am
Location: Allegheny National Forest

Re: What happened?

Postby Owchar76 on Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:08 pm

Humperdink wrote:@Owchar76 I understand what you are saying. You are one of the more knowledgeable posters. Some are not, including myself. I soak up every Pens article I can get my hands on, no matter the source. I then judge it's credibility. I suspect a few of the 170 views on my post would like to comment, but are a bit leery of subsequent snarky comments. That was my original point, which I obviously failed to make.


Reading is good no matter what, as long as you can decipher or judge it's credibility as you said. The more you read, the more you learn.

My feeling on writers is similar to my feelings on these "hockey analysts" that do a hotstove between periods. NBC leads the way with quite possibly the worst panel you could have. Roenick, Anson Carter, Keith Jones, Milbury, all of those guys are total clowns that bring zero and teach me nothing. These main stream writers do the same.

Jesse breaks down systems, talks advanced stats, and even stick blades! It's a refreshing read and I actually learn something from it.
Owchar76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 965
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:03 pm

Re: What happened?

Postby Great58 on Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:30 pm

chirpin’ grinder drove plenty off. No one wanted to hit themselves in the head with their shoe to overcome his negativity and post volume.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,044
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:56 pm
Location: On the blue line

Re: What happened?

Postby Daniel on Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:57 pm

Great58 wrote:chirpin’ grinder drove plenty off. No one wanted to hit themselves in the head with their shoe to overcome his negativity and post volume.


There are other people who don't add anything to the conversation but negativity and veiled insults.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,073
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:10 pm
Location: Fort Worth

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests


e-mail