Game 43 vs Isles - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 43 vs Isles - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:10 pm

Pens win 4-0

- Well, what do we have here. Pens looking good beating up on a struggling division rival... sure, we'll take it.
- Make no mistake & read no further if you disagree. Jarry DID what winning goalies do, he kept the team in the game until they capitalized on their chances. :thumb:
- Sprong has finally shown what we call knew he could do. Kudos to HCMS for not rushing him to the top line.
- Capt did what he has always done. Rise up and carry the team. C'mon lads, follow the leader.
- In the never ending discussion about the value of Reaves... He kept the peace in this game and that fourth line looked good doing it.
- Oleksiak can really skate. ACSG has got him rushing and I think we are all going to realize that we got a STEAL in this trade. Big Rig is going to be a keeper.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Game 43 vs Isles - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Puck-Lurker on Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:42 pm

We won. That's never a given these days, it's nice.

These two guys got mentioned in the recap:
- Crosby showed up for the game. We need him this Crosby.
- Jarry is reminding me of what was best in Flower. There are some traits I wouldn't want him to acquire though he was great this game. That will always include some lucky ones.

This was my man of the match:
- Sprong with a GWG. Yeah, that's a GWG. Sure Crosby turned up big in this game, but for a player of his calibre, he's been awfully quiet for a good long while. So let's not overlook #41's goal, assist and goal (+3 for the night?! Wasn't this guy defensively like totally awful?). That 4-0 was a thing of beauty. I've compared him to be a pocket Phil Kessel. Who knew putting Sprong with a top-6 center would help? The kid's playing to his strengths, skating and shooting. Whatever he needs to learn in terms of attitude and fitting in, where better to pick it up than with Crosby? No sooner did Daniel bury that 1-0 than he pointed at Crosby in recognition of the great pass to his stick.

We will not trade Sprong.

Spoiler:
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Durbano on Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:03 pm

The last two wins have been lots of fun. I'm purging any memory of the Carolina game.
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ville5 on Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:23 pm

The Flying Dutchman
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby BurghThing on Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:10 pm

ville5 wrote:The Flying Dutchman

Can we call him Honus?
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby OKpensfan247 on Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:23 pm

- got home from work last night and broke down and bought the nhl.tv package during 1st intermission, thinking if the Pens are going to miss the playoffs I at least want to watch half their season. Tuned in just in time to see Sprong's goal and a great second period.
- Sid looked rejuvenated coaching up new young kids on his line again. Appears to thrive in the "big brother" role where he feels like he is educating/molding youth.
- Flying Dutchmen could really make teams pay for doubling up and blanketing Sid. His second goal was wicked.
- Reaves last night was the Reaves I was so excited about in the Lou. The man has cycle skils. He finally has linemates that also can cycle, and we saw extended TOI, and solid input into our team's result last night. St Louis' 4th line with Reaves was their best looking line in marquee, physical, games games against CHI and LAK the last couple years. Their 4th line was physical and led the effort in gaining back territory and possession in many of their games. I can see this 4th line last night doing the same for us in the playoffs if we make it, against physical teams like WAS, CBJ, etc.
- Also loved Reaves shutting down the Islanders guy that kept trying to start scuffles after the play last night. He puckered up once Reaves jumped in 2-3 times.
- Never gets old beating Halak after what he did to us in 2010.
- good Lord, did Tavares' line pin in our 2nd line in the defensive zone all night. This is the best I remember seeing Tavares ever play, as far as all around game in all 3 zones, and creating things offensively on his own. Lucky we held that line off the scoresheet.
- speaking of which... Jarry has been the man lately. So calm and positionally sound the last few games I have watched. Very impressive. Lucky he is coming on with Murray sucking right now.
OKpensfan247
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Great58 on Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:36 pm

I think we should scrap the narrative that Sprong was wrongly held back, and instead think of his fall in WBS as polishing his game. Because we can’t really prove either position, and the thought we held him out from the NHL without reason is unbearable given our struggles so far this season.

Islanders are a lot like the Penguins right now, particularly perplexing to their fans during their current losing streak. If they miss the playoffs, does Tavares walk despite a new arena deal? Imaging singing up for 8 more years with this GM?
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Puck-Lurker on Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:01 pm

Great58 wrote:I think we should scrap the narrative that Sprong was wrongly held back, and instead think of his fall in WBS as polishing his game. Because we can’t really prove either position, and the thought we held him out from the NHL without reason is unbearable given our struggles so far this season.

Islanders are a lot like the Penguins right now, particularly perplexing to their fans during their current losing streak. If they miss the playoffs, does Tavares walk despite a new arena deal? Imaging singing up for 8 more years with this GM?

I'm quite happy he's had time in WBS to play and work on his game. I was fine with him going back to the QJMHL two years back, though not as much the CHL-NHL deal that prevents draft picks from being sent to the AHL instead.

I'm also convinced he'd not have had a shot this season if it weren't for the crap run we are having so far.

And I have no illusions his short-comings are resolved. I do believe his upside is worth it.

If this was his first NHL season, his 18 game stint... he'd be on a line with a poor Russian version of Tom Kühnhackl and an older Riley Sheahan, getting the maximum amount of ice time of Ryan Reaves.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Faubert5 on Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:27 pm

BurghThing wrote:
ville5 wrote:The Flying Dutchman

Can we call him Honus?

Sprongus
Faubert5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: Formerly known as NashvilleCat - don't want any association with the Predators.

Postby Southern Fan on Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:27 am

Is the Letang pinch where we have essentially four forwards and one defenseman a designed play or is he just losing his mind ?

Jarry saved us a couple of times on the odd man break. Would have changed the game big time if he didn’t make the stop.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins