Official GDT: Pens @ Isles 1/5/18 (Game 43)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official GDT: Pens @ Isles 1/5/18 (Game 43)

Postby Faubert5 on Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:45 pm

DelPen wrote:
NashvilleCat wrote:
Southern Fan wrote:Wow Reaves with almost 9 minutes of playing time. Only one minute behind Guentzel and Sheary

Has to be a season high, no?

Wonder what the sweet spot with his minutes is? Basically if he plays 7+ are we undefeated? I understand a lot of times we have been chasing in the third and he bench got shortened but maybe it shouldn’t? Roll 4 lines, keep the top 6 a bit fresher later in a 1 goal game?

If they're saying fatigue is a factor then keeping lines together and rolling four a little more evenly makes sense.
Faubert5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: Formerly known as NashvilleCat - don't want any association with the Predators.

Postby DelPen on Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:48 pm

NashvilleCat wrote:
DelPen wrote:
NashvilleCat wrote:
Southern Fan wrote:Wow Reaves with almost 9 minutes of playing time. Only one minute behind Guentzel and Sheary

Wonder what the sweet spot with his minutes is? Basically if he plays 7+ are we undefeated? I understand a lot of times we have been chasing in the third and he bench got shortened but maybe it shouldn’t? Roll 4 lines, keep the top 6 a bit fresher later in a 1 goal game?

If they're saying fatigue is a factor then keeping lines together and rolling four a little more evenly makes sense.

That’s a big reason we were able to repeat, we always rolled 4 lines for a good 18 months along with lots of players missing time with injuries guys were relatively fresh still in June.

This year it’s a lot of work for just 12 guys on an 18 man roster most nights.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitts on Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:48 pm

So, sell Murray?

:)
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Crashguy66 on Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:50 pm

I don't recall Jarry looking bad in any game he's played. I may be wrong.
Crashguy66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:52 pm

DelPen wrote:
pens2005 wrote:I'm sorry but I'm going to say it. You CANNOT trade Tristan Jarry. Like, I'm saying you trade Murray before Jarry. I know I know. Just saying.

Unless it s a crazy deal where we get rid of a bunch of crap for some yong cost controlled talent then I agree. Murray has shown he’s injury prone and we need a 1B and Jarry will get plenty of time.

What I've noticed is Jarry is more like Fleury.....he's athletic, while Murray is more technical. Both have the ability obviously to make great saves, but Jarry has shown that ability to be out of position and make a great save because of his athleticism.

It's a situation they will have to deal with likely in the summer of 2019. And if Murray keeps getting injured, its an easy decision to me.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Antonio on Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:55 pm

as I've said before, I've never been comfortable with Murray even when he's played well. I've just never had real confidence in him. Jarry on the other hand has always looked good to me and I've always felt good with him in there. Personally, I would sell Murray right now, in fact I would have sold him a while ago. I would think a goalie with his resume and pedigree should fetch a tidy price.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Crashguy66 on Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:05 pm

Athleticism. Plus can play the puck and absorb shots.
Crashguy66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve Dave on Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:27 pm

Fleury would have had a shutout and have had 5 assists and been doing pushups between saves.
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby sirik71 on Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:30 pm

Reading these posts feeling happy with the strong (or Sprong?) win tonight little bit surprised with the fact that so many people think we should trade Mr. Murray?! A 23 year old goalie with two Stanley cups is out of the blue not good enough anymore? Would advise these people to find some video footage of the past two seasons and rethink this move! Ooh and we keep Jarry too :)
sirik71

Postby Daniel on Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:40 pm

DelPen wrote:
NashvilleCat wrote:

14-5 in 19 games
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pruezy11881 on Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:12 am

sirik71 wrote:Reading these posts feeling happy with the strong (or Sprong?) win tonight little bit surprised with the fact that so many people think we should trade Mr. Murray?! A 23 year old goalie with two Stanley cups is out of the blue not good enough anymore? Would advise these people to find some video footage of the past two seasons and rethink this move! Ooh and we keep Jarry too :)

In all honesty, Murray hasn't been a work horse in net, going all the way back to Sault Ste. Marie days. It has never been proven that he can handle a huge work load or stay healthy for that matter. And if he can't tighten up the 6 and 7 holes and fix the give hand then the Pens are going to have an issue in net.

As far as the cups and his success so far, he didn't do it all on his own. His first playoff, Murray wad thrust in due to a concussion to the starting goalie and no one had a book on him which gave him and the team an advantage...all the while Fleury was mentoring him. His second run most likely doesn't happen without Flower either and in reality shouldn't have gone back in net after 1 bad game that the Pens decided not to show up to play... one of the shortest leashes I've ever seen. But it all worked out for the team.

As far as the Murray/Jarry situation goes, Jarry has the hotter hand and is making the saves Murray isn't. For a team desperate for points and fighting too mage playoffs you go with the best option to get those points. Down the road it would be another Fleury/Murray situation. Jarry is projected to have the better pedigree and if he reaches that potential, you certainly keep him and get assets for Murray that help the team stay competitive because someone will trade a pretty penny for an accomplished starter.
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sirik71 on Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:07 am

Pruezy11881 wrote:
sirik71 wrote:Reading these posts feeling happy with the strong (or Sprong?) win tonight little bit surprised with the fact that so many people think we should trade Mr. Murray?! A 23 year old goalie with two Stanley cups is out of the blue not good enough anymore? Would advise these people to find some video footage of the past two seasons and rethink this move! Ooh and we keep Jarry too :)

In all honesty, Murray hasn't been a work horse in net, going all the way back to Sault Ste. Marie days. It has never been proven that he can handle a huge work load or stay healthy for that matter. And if he can't tighten up the 6 and 7 holes and fix the give hand then the Pens are going to have an issue in net.

As far as the cups and his success so far, he didn't do it all on his own. His first playoff, Murray wad thrust in due to a concussion to the starting goalie and no one had a book on him which gave him and the team an advantage...all the while Fleury was mentoring him. His second run most likely doesn't happen without Flower either and in reality shouldn't have gone back in net after 1 bad game that the Pens decided not to show up to play... one of the shortest leashes I've ever seen. But it all worked out for the team.

As far as the Murray/Jarry situation goes, Jarry has the hotter hand and is making the saves Murray isn't. For a team desperate for points and fighting too mage playoffs you go with the best option to get those points. Down the road it would be another Fleury/Murray situation. Jarry is projected to have the better pedigree and if he reaches that potential, you certainly keep him and get assets for Murray that help the team stay competitive because someone will trade a pretty penny for an accomplished starter.

When it comes to staying healthy, I think you shouldn't underestimate the fact that when the Penguins play their best game it's a very offensive game, high pressure, D-man up the ice etc. This leads to breakaways and in many instances our opponents come at high/full speed towards our net, this leads to tough collisions and therefor a bigger chance for injuries. And this season Murray started out great kept us in many games. At the moment he might not be at his best but he has thus far always proven to come back stronger.
Completely agree that a team wins and looses (for that matter) together. But having a rock solid goalie at the most tensed times of a season helps a lot. The first cuprun maybe nobody had a book on him but that doesn't take away that that over the past two years no goalie has a better record in must win situations (and overall) in the play-offs than Murray has. And even though I am a big fan of Fleury and have deep respect for his body of work for our team and obviously was very happy with his play in last years play-offs, to me it was a no-brainer to put Murray back in when he was healthy cause he always delivers in the biggest games.
And looking at the way this season unfolds I think let Jarry prove himself in the chances he gets, let them somewhat divide the workload and both stay healthy. If we wanna make this years playoffs it's in my humble opinion far more important that we start scoring 5 on 5, like tonight. But people already talking about trades and getting assets makes me a little sad. That feels as if Murray hasn't had one good game this year?And I think that is not only lacking the proper respect towards Mr. Murray but will also be a trade that will come back to bite us.
sirik71

Postby Bardowncelly on Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:21 am

Jarry was the higher pick, with higher upside. he's more athletic and can make saves murray can't when hes caught out of position.

Murray has the larger frame, plays angles, takes away more of the net. when hes on, he makes it look easy. when he's not, hes spinning around with his back to the shot.

Let's remember a couple things,

1) between both of them they've got barely over 100 NHL games.
2) who's going to replace either of them and be capable (we wouldnt have either cup without 2 solid goalies)
3) you can't sell an asset like Murray while hes at a low point just because the teams in a slump.
4) we need to know what we have in Gustavsson before you make any move, see #1, and think how dumb it would be to sell 2 franchise goaltenders within a year without either guy breaking 100 NHL games. :face: :face:
Bardowncelly

Postby Pens4Life on Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:37 am

Great games for Sprong and Jarry :)
did Simon and Sprong played entire game with Sid,what were the lines?
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:55 am

NashvilleCat wrote:Four point night so far for the captain. Hope it's a sign of things to come.

If not last night~ when? 8-)

Nothing- gets the blood of penguins moving like goal scoring! Evgeni comes through in a must win also.
Welcome for good, Daniel Sprong.
Matt Murray is not built to play game in and game out, but I've seen enough to know he'll rebound. Plus, he 's Coach Sullivan's guy.

Captain , Oh Captain~
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins